The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
Morning Star (Schooner), aground, 4 Oct 1880

Full Text

A telegram from North Scribner to Capt. Gaskin, received at noon today, states "that the schooner MORNING STAR is ashore seven miles east of Oswego, and is a total wreck." She probably ran ashore last night during the storm. Whether any lives were lost is not known. The MORNING STAR cleared for Oswego from Gananoque a few days ago and should have reached there before this. Where she has been lying in the meantime is unknown. She carried 4,000 bushels of barley belonging to Richardson & Sons of this city. It is insured in the Royal Canadian Insurance Company, for about $2,000. There was no insurance. She was rebuilt about a year and a half ago at Portsmouth. Capt. Staley was in command. Mr. John Donnelly left by the steamer MAUD for the scene of the disaster and will ascertain what can be done.
      Kingston Whig-Standard
      Tuesday, October 5, 1889

      . . . . .

      The MORNING STAR which we reported yesterday as ashore seven miles east of Oswego, has 3,600 bushels of barley consigned to Irwin & Sloan, Oswego. She was struck by a squall Monday afternoon off Oswego, lost her canvas, drifted down the lake and went on about seven rods from shore about 9 o'clock. The mate made a raft out of a hatch, went ashore, and woke up the farmers, who launched an old flat-bottomed fish boat and started for the stranded vessel, which they reached in safety. The took off her one sailor, the cook, and a boy, and landed then, after which they took off the captain. The vessel lies head on the beach, with her stern stove in and cabin washed off. The captain boarded her yesterday morning and found her lying easy her grain all in her and pretty dry on top.
      A note in the noon mail from North Scribner says the captain of the MORNING STAR reports her full of water and a total wreck.
      Kingston Whig-Standard
      Wednesday, October 6, 1880

      . . . . .

A TOTAL WRECK. -- Information has been received about the MORNING STAR. She is a total wreck, and her cargo will be a complete loss. Mr. G. Richardson, one of the owners of the grain, left yesterday for the scene of the disaster.
      Kingston Whig-Standard
      Thursday, October 7, 1880

      . . . . .

      THE MORNING STAR. --Capt. John Donnelly returned this morning from the wreck of the schooner MORNING STAR. He confirms the report that the vessel is a total wreck. He sold to Oswego ports the gear, anchors, chains, etc. The owner of the schooner thinks Donnelly is unequalled for work of this kind, and that he does it without loss of time. May his 'Star' never set.
      Kingston Whig-Standard
      Friday, October 8, 1880

      . . . . .

      The Morning Star Ashore
Mr. James Kane of North Scriba, who came to town this morning, reports the Schr. MORNING STAR ashore at Brady's beach seven miles east of Oswego. She had 8,600 bushels of barley from Kingston, consigned to Irwin & Sloan,
Oswego. She was struck by the squall yesterday afternoon off Oswego, lost her canvas, drifted down the lake and went on about seven rods from shore about 9 o¹clock last evening. The mate made a raft out of a hatch, came
ashore, went to the house of Henry Kane and woke up the occupants. Mr. Kane and Hugh Brady accompanied the mate to the beach, where they launched an old flat bottomed fish boat belonging to Henry Kane, and the mate and Brady started for the stranded vessel which they reached in safety. They took aboard one sailor and the cook, a boy and landed them. After which they took off the captain. The crew were made comfortable over night at Mr. Brady¹s
and Mr. Kane's The vessel lied head on the beach, with her stern stove in and cabin washed off. The beach is rocky. The captain boarded her this morning and found her lying easy, not injured except as stated above, her grain all in her and pretty dry on top. He went to Texas life station and reported to the owners. Ht Morning Star is owned by alderman Gaskin of Kingston and was not insured. Captain Martin Staley is her master.
      Latest From the Stranded vessels
      A despatch from Capt. E. Tyler of Henderson says "The BAGLEY arrived here last night about 10 all right"
      A note in the noon mail from North Scriba says the captain of the MORNING STAR reports sher full of water and a total wreck.
      The Tug MORLEY arrived this afternoon from Sackets. She reports a heavy sea rolling at the foot of the lake, which made it impossible to attempt to get of the canal boat Wood Duck
      Oswego Palladium
      October 5, 1880
      . . . . .

      A Sudden gale on Lake Ontario- Vessels Driven in Port. The SEABIRD, BAGLEY and Canal Boat Ashore.
      The Yacht RIPPLE's Cruise _ the Schr. MORNING STAR on the Beach.
The sudden and violent squall of yesterday afternoon, which made vessel men hereabouts very anxious, did not pass by without leaving a record of disaster. After the rainy threatening weather of the forenoon passed, at
least half a dozen vessels left port, and with the pleasant outlook and no indication of a squall were wholly unprepared for the thirty two miles gale which swept over sea and land without warning. The crew of different vessels had lively work getting in their canvas and returning to port, which all managed to do with out very serious damage except the schooner FLORENCE whose foresail was completely and instantly blown out, as stated yesterday.
      The SEABIRD Ashore.
News that the SEABIRD was ashore near the fort ground became current after dark, and a Palladium reporter immediately visited the scene of the disaster. He found the vessel lying easily on rock bottom a few hundred feet
east of the life saving station, port side to the land and in about fie feet of water. Her deck load remained undisturbed and her staysail and reefed mainsail were still set and the lamp was burning in the cabin. Entering the
life station he found the entire crew of the SEABIRD comfortably seated and relishing a good meal prepared by Capt. Blackburn and his men. After supper Capt. G.P. Cameron of the SEABIRD, which belong at Picton but hails from
Kingston, made he following statement. We left Trenton last Thursday with 131,000 feet of lumber shipped by Gilmour & Co. To J. K. Post & Co. Oswego; but we did not get out of the bay nor leave McDonald's cove until six a.m. today; the Wind was then east and so remained until we passed the Main Ducks when it veered to the southward; finally the squall from the southwest struck us under main sail and staysail about 8:30 and changed to the north; we reffed all around and started for Oswego, wind northwest we were then about fifteen miles from here, and as we neared the land the wind changed to the west and finally southwest; the sea increased; as we approached the harbor the tug MELVIN came alongside; I was at the wheel and the boys told me she hot our line, but could not make fast. let go and went into the harbor; the vessel broached to and drifted broadside ashore; the life crew were on the beach with their lights and apparatus as soon as we got there, and in less than forty minutes all were taken off and being hospitably care for here in the station; a line was fired aboard and the apparatus was adjusted' my wife was first taken ashore then my three small children who were followed by the crew six men three of the latter being sons of mine and the others seamen; I own the vessel; she is worth about $8,000 and is not insured. The life crew did their work admirably and deserve credit. They were on the beach waiting, prepared for the vessels's going on and also
watching three other vessels which hugged the shore rather closely
      All Safe
The MARY FOSTER and CORDELIA, both reported to have gone ashore, made port about 9 p.m. all right.
      The RIPPLE in the Gale
The Rochester yacht RIPPLE was out in all the storm. having left Sackets Harbor just is in time to get the full benefit, but she weathered it out and ran in here about 7 p..m. in as good style as any craft on the lake could have done. They encountered the squall off Nine Mile Point, and came on under three reefed mainsail, while other craft were under bare poles of scudding for port. The crew consisting of a man and boy were drenched to the skin
      Loss of a New Boat
The tug C. P. MOREY, Capt. Fred Pappa. Left here at 10 a.m. yesterday for Sandy Creek, intending to return with Mr. D. B. Houghton's new canal boat, just finished there. Telegrams received here last night state that the MOREY had lost the boat, which was breached near Sandy Creek and that the tug had to return to Sackets.
      The BAGLEY Ashore.
She reported the little steamer BAGLEY of Henderson ashore at Stony Island, but the MOREY could to render any assistance, having lost her lines with the canal boat. And on account of the heavy sea and high wind.
      How the Wood Duck went ashore.
Yesterday the tug MOREY went to Sandy Creek to tow up the new canal boat WOOD DUCK, built there for B.D. Houghton of this city. Mr. Houghton and his brother Co. C.V. Houghton went down on the tug. After hauling on the boat an haur the MOREY hauled the boat out and started for Oswego. Col. Houghton remained ashore. And B.D. Houghton and a coupe of men who had not quite finished their part of the work were aboard the WOOD DUCK. The two started about 8 p.m. and when about four miles out was struck by the gale with tremendous fury. The line parted and the WOOD DUCK was released; drifted around before the sea and went on to a sand beach about half way between Big and Little Sandy. She was not damaged in the least, thought she plunged around in the sea terribly, especially before the line parted, bing completely buried in the foamy waves most of the time. The MOREY put about and ran for Sackets. Col Houghton came home last night, but his brother remained with the boat which the MOREY will probably pull her on her way up to-day
      Oswego Palladium
      Tuesday October 5, 1880

Media Type:
Item Type:
Reason: aground
Remarks: Total loss
Date of Original:
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Geographic Coverage:
  • New York, United States
    Latitude: 43.45535 Longitude: -76.5105
William R. McNeil
Copyright Statement:
Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

Morning Star (Schooner), aground, 4 Oct 1880