The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
Two Friends (Schooner), aground, 1 Oct 1880

Full Text

LAKE DISASTERS. -- In North Bay the schooner PFISTER, of Milwaukee, corn laden, lays on the beach full of water. The TWO FRIENDS (Canada vessel) grain loaded, is also on the beach, full of water. The schooner LEM ELLSWORTH is also on the beach, light, and not injured. Schooner FLORETTO, lumber laden, sunk. T.Y. AVERY, foresail gone. Schooner NAIAD, big anchor and rudder gone. Schooner MONTAUK, the bowsprit, jibboom and quarter gone; fouled with the GEARGE MURREY. DAVID VAN VALKENBURG, masts all gone.
      Kingston Whig-Standard
      October 23, 1880

Cheboygan, Mich., May 13. -- The schooner FLYING MIST was pulled off the beach at Waugoshance by the VAN RAALTE yesterday morning. About 4,000 bushels of corn was lightered off before she could be released. The vessel sustained no damage. The VAN RAALTE went to the ADA MEDORA, but she was gone before the tug reached her. The LEVIATHAN came here after her lighter to work at the schooner TWO FRIENDS at North Bay.
      Cleveland Herald
      Tuesday, May 17, 1881

      . . . . .

Milwaukee Sentinel: -- A letter was received from Captain Kirklind, of the LEVIATHAN, on Friday, stating that he would leave the schooner TAYLOR and attempt to release the NABOB, but if the water about the latter is still too cold for workmen to remain in it, he will go to the TWO FRIENDS and tow her here. The job of releasing the NABOB will be a long and tedious one, as she will heve to be screwed up and placed on ways. Captain Kirkland's letter also says that the NABOB can easily be released with warm weather.
      Cleveland Herald
      Wednesday, May 25, 1881

      . . . . .

General Notes. -- Milwaukee advices of the 9th. say that the wrecking tug LEVIATHAN has quit work on the stranded schooner E. C. L., and has gone to North Bay to tow the wrecked schooner TWO FRIENDS to Milwaukee.
      Cleveland Herald
      July 12, 1881

Milwaukee sentinel:-- The friends of Captain Kirkland will regret to learn that he is now lying in a critical condition at his home, the result of a blow from a sling shot or brass knuckles in the hand of Peter Crowley, a fellow who came to this city and claimed to be a diver. The affair happened at Escanaba. Captain Kirtland had engaged Crowley here to accompany the LEVIATHAN to the schooner TWO FRIENDS and to do the necessary diving. It seems that Crowley;s work was unsatisfactory, and Captain Kirtland discharged him, and it is supposed that this action was the cause of the murderous assault. Captain Kirtland face is very badly cut and bruised, and several of his teeth are missing.
      Cleveland Herald
      Monday, July 18, 1881

      The schooner TWO FRIENDS, which stranded in North Bay last fall, is a hard looking wreck. She requires almost an entirely new bottom and keel, rudder, rudder post, stern-post, deadwood decks, deck frames, cabin, bulwarks, new rail, windlass, timber-heads, tow-posts, steering gear, etc. The estimated cost of the repairs is $10,000. She is now in dry dock at Milwaukee.
      Cleveland Herald
      Saturday, July 30, 1881
      . . . . .
      By Walter M. Hirthe
      INLAND SEAS, 1975
      Where is the Two Friends?" The question was being asked by two skin divers on a cold and windy day in the fall of 1969. "Over there," I said pointing across North Bay to a reef at the entrance to Lake Michigan "just off Marshall's Point." Although the weather was very
severe these determined divers disappeared after receiving our directions for reaching this relatively inaccessable area in Door County, Wisconsin.
The location I had given for the final resting place of the TWO FRIENDS was consistent with books, and charts concerning the marine history of Door County. Since that time I have been able to review a part of this history and will now relate the true life story of the schooner TWO FRIENDS.
The TWO FRIENDS was built in August 1873, at Port Burwell, Ontario, by L. McDermand for Suffel, et al of Port Burwell. She was rigged as a bark of 319 tons, class A-1, value $19,000. (Inland Lloyds, 1875) The Two Friends was one of many vessels on Lake Michigan October 16, 1880, during a storm which has been described by many as the worst in memory. It has been referred to as the "Alpena Gale" because of the loss of the Goodrich steamer Alpena. Mansfield provides the following description: "One of the storms that have great cause to
be remembered in lakeshipping circles swept over Lake Michigan October 16, 1880. The weather on October 15 was warm and pleasant, the thermometer ranging from 600 to 700. Light northerly winds prevailed over Lake Superior and southerly over Lake Michigan. The storm began about midnight on the 16th with easterly shifting to southwesterly winds at the Straits of Mackinac, and southwesterly from Grand Haven southward. Violent southwesterly gales on Lake Michigan raged all day of the 16th and part of the 17th. The temperature dropped from 650 to the freezing point, and snow fell as far south as Chicago. The loss of lives was very great, nearly 100 souls going down on the Goodrich liner ALPENA, Grand Haven to Chicago. This vessel was last seen about 30 miles from Chicago. In all about 90 vessels were wrecked or badly damaged, and 118 lives were lost as a result of this storm."
      Another contemporary account of the nature and intensity of this storm is given in the Door County Advocate: "The blow which set in from the south early Saturday morning is said by all who had an opportunity to see its effects on the bay and lake to have been one of the severest ever encountered in this latitude. As a consequence a large number of vessels have been wrecked and driven ashore at the foot of Lake Michigan, many of them being damaged so that they will have to be abandoned. Upward of twenty craft have found the beach between Kewaunee and Death's Door, a distance of fifty miles."
      In North Bay a fleet of nearly thirty vessels had sought refuge from the storm. The vessels were mostly of the larger class and were either bound for Buffalo loaded with grain, or were on their way from that port to Chicago. Among this fleet was the TWO FRIENDS, deeply laden with salt. Being the last to arrive, and as the bay was crowded, she was compelled to anchor in an exposed berth directly at the entrance, where the sea bad an unbroken sweep from the Lake and it was very rough. She came to with both anchors at 3 o'clock in the afternoon on the 16th, and two hours later dragged ashore on the northerly side of the bay where she almost immediately swung broadside to the sea, and fell over on her starboard side, or offshore. Thus exposed, her deck was in a very short time swept of everything movable, the cabin was smashed in, the boat was washed from the davits and stove in pieces on the rocky shore, and the crew were driven to the rigging. A detailed account of their rescue by a local fisherman, James Larson. "The Manitowoc Journal, a fisherman whose name we are unable to learn, went out in that terrible sea, to rescue the hands. He had nothing but a little skiff and while the waves were washing over the schooner, he went out eight times, each time being able to take but one man, on account of the size of the boat and succeeded in rescuing all hands." James Larson, born in Denmark in 1855, was awarded a gold medal for this very gallant rescue. He later moved to Marinette,
Wisconsin, where he became a shipbuilder and lake captain, and represented Marinette County in the State Legislature.
      With respect to the condition of tbe TWO FRIENDS, she is referred to as a total loss. From the Advocate: "The GARDNER reports the bottom out of the schooner TWO FRIENDS, ashore at North Bay, and the vessel is a total loss. She has been stripped." And later in the same column, "The tug CHAMPION left Detroit two or three days ago to assist the schooner TWO FRIENDS, ashore at North Bay. The TWO FRIENDS is, however, a total loss, and the CHAMPION's long journey will be in vain." From Fredrickson: "A century old anchor from the bark TWO FRIENDS is now used as a lawn decoration at Gordon's Lodge at North Bay, near
Bailey's Harbor, Wisconsin. Recently, the remains of the TWO FRIENDS have been found by skin divers on Marshall's Reef in North Bay. She lies in about twenty feet of water." However, despite the above, the TWO FRIENDS did not meet her end in North Bay. In fact she was very "young" at the time of her experiences in one of the greatest storms of all.
Evidence of her after-life began to appear in the Advocate: "Wm. Marshall, of North Bay, reports that the Canadian schooner TWO FRIENDS, which was driven ashore at that place during the October storm, still remains in about the condition she was after the blow. Her hold full of bulk salt has been entirely washed out, not a particle remaining. Mr. Marshall has a claim of $150 against the owners of the vessel for boarding and caring for the ship-wrecked crew, which the underwriters have promised to liquidate."
William Marshall, who lived on the north point of North Bay known at the time as Craignar, was a native of Scotland, born in the village of The Bridge-of- Dee in 1839. He left Scotland in the spring of 1868 and sailed right for North Bay, to be under the employ of C. C. Thompson, who was owner of considerabIe land in Liberty Grove Township, part of the Liberty Grove property being located on the north point of North Bay. Mr. Thompson's holdings were sold at the United States marshal's sale in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, to Richard Irvin and Company, bankers and brokers in New York. William Marshall acted as agent with power of attorney for the company and supervised the sale of lumber and stone from the North Bay property. In December 1880, while Mr. Marshall was at Sturgeon Bay, some party or parties visited the TWO FRIENDS, cut away one of the spars, and carried off a portion of the wire rigging belonging to the vessel. The wreck had been purchased from the insurance companies by Wolf and Davidson of Milwaukee and a Mr. Wolf of Milwaukee went to North Bay with his family to look after the vessel. Wolf and Davidson was the largest shipyard in Milwaukee at the time and it occupied eleven acres at the confluence of the Milwaukee and Kinnikinnic Rivers. The Kirtland, Wolf and Davidson Wrecking Company was afffliated with Wolf and Davidson and owned the LEVIATHAN. It was the most successful wrecking tug on the Lakes under the management and command of Capt. Charles E. Kirtland.
On May 3, 1881, the LEVIATHAN left Milwaukee for the purpose of getting the schooner NABOB and the TWO FRIENDS off the beach, the former at Cana Island a few miles south of North Bay. The NABOB had gone ashore at Cana Island returning from Cheboygan, Michigan, with a large derrick and other appliances for raising the sunken craft. The LEVIATHAN succeeded in pulling the TWO FRIENDS off the beach but did not tow her to Milwaukee immediately. Instead, the LEVIATHAN went to Cana Island to work on the rescue of the NABOB. The LEVIATHAN released the NABOB on Tuesday evening, June 14, and she was taken to North Bay and left there while the LEVIATHAN went to Escanaba for coal and an additional steam-pump. On Friday the NABOB was towed to Milwaukee and placed in drydock at Wolf and Davidson.
The LEVIATHAN returned to North Bay in July and towed the TWO FRIENDS to Milwaukee. The wreck was placed in drydock and it was found on examination that she required an entire new bottom, new keel, new keelsons, new deadwood aft, new jibboom, spars, rudder, rudderposts, and entire new outfit of canvas.
The TWO FRIENDS was about the worst wreck ever brought to Milwaukee and the repairs and outfit cost about $10,000. She thoroughly rebuilt in a short period of time, came out of drydock in August 1881, and was rechristened the PEWAUKEE.
The PEWAUKEE came on the Milwaukee Custom House register, October 7, 1881, as a schooner, Official No. 150233, owned by W. H. Wolf and Thomas Davidson, Milwaukee. Her vital statistics were 310.26 gross tons, 294.75 net tons, 135.4 x 25.7 x 11.0 feet, and 3 masts. She was placed in the iron ore trade between Escanaba and Lake Erie ports and was valued at $15,000Y in 1888, she received an engine and boiler and is listed in the Milwaukee Custom House register of July 23, 1888, as a propeller with one deck and three masts, of 310.26 gross tons, 228.07 net tons and dimensions of 135.5 x 26.4 x 10.8 feet, owned by
John Leathem and Thomas H. Smith. On May 7, 1907, she was listed as a barge of 353 tons with one deck and one mast, owned by The Leathem and Smith Towing and Wrecking Co., Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin. The PEWAUKEE as a steamer and a barge was used in the stone trade from Sturgeon Bay. On November 10, 1913, she was reported exempt, having been converted into a dock in Sturgeon Bay.
Thus ended the long life, forty years -- some thirty three years after her "Total loss" in North Bay -- of the TWO FRIENDS. I hope that somehow the two divers who asked me "Where is the TWO FRIENDS?" finally have a proper answer.

      . . . . .

Media Type:
Item Type:
Reason: aground
Freight: grain
Remarks: Got off
Date of Original:
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Geographic Coverage:
  • Michigan, United States
    Latitude: 45.35252 Longitude: -83.50748
William R. McNeil
Copyright Statement:
Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

Two Friends (Schooner), aground, 1 Oct 1880