The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
B. W. Folger (Schooner), aground, 25 Oct 1880

Full Text

WHERE'S THE FOLGER. -- Not a little concern is felt regarding the safety of the schooner B.W. FOLGER, which left Oswego last evening for the city, laden with coal. The FOLGER left at the same time as the A.G. RYAN. The latter vessel reached here at 4 o'clock this morning. Capt. Ryan informed a Whig Reporter that there was a very heavy gale blowing on the lake last night. For two hours there was a great downpour of rain. Part of the time the sailors on deck could not plainly recognize each other as they passed. They had to feel for the spars. Off the Main Ducks very careful sailing had to be made. The captain thinks that the FOLGER has either gone ashore or sunk. Marine men think she will turn up all right as Captain "Barney" Ryan was a good sailor. The vessel is owned by Mr. James Swift.
      Kingston Whig-Standard
      October 26, 1880

MISSING SCHOONER FOLGER. -- Up to 3 o'clock today no intelligence has been received regarding the missing schooner B.W. FOLGER. While some have hopes of her safety, others thing she has been lost. The schooner ANNANDALE left Oswego 15 minutes later than the FOLGER and reached Trenton yesterday. The Captain, who was in the city today, expressed surprise at the FOLGER's non-appearance. The tug ACTIVE and two barges came over from Oswego the same night. Capt. Thomas Gaskin says it was very dark and a heavy sea running. If the tug and barges pulled through all right why not the FOLGER ? She was in skillful hands. The owners feel anxious regarding her.
      The cook on the vessel was Mrs. Twohey, a widow, who resides on Earl Street. She has two daughters in the city. The names of the remainder of the crew are unknown. The schooner had 200 tons of coal for Mr. James Swift. The cargo is insured, but the vessel is not. She rated B 1. She was rebuilt in 1871 upon the bottom of the schooner CAROLINE. Last winter she was thoroughly repaired. She was valued at $3,000. Messrs. Swift and Dandy are the owners.
      A telegram from South Bay says " The Schr. B.W. FOLGER is not here, nor has she been heard of."
      Kingston Whig-Standard
      Wednesday, October 27, 1880

ASHORE AT THE DUCKS. -- Late last evening Mr. J. Swift, one of the owners of the schooner B.. FOLGER, received a telegram from Mr. A.G. Cook, of Oswego, stating that a vessel had just arrived at that port and reported that there was a vessel ashore on the south side of the Main Ducks. It was thought to be the FOLGER. Judging by the direction of the wind on Monday, Marine Inspector Taylor felt confident that the vessel referred to, was the FOLGER. The news of the vessel's probable safety soon spread and there was considerable rejoicing among the friends of Capt. B.J. Ryan. As the vessel was ashore in Canadian waters the tug ACTIVE (M.T. Co.'s Line) was engaged to go to her relief this morning with a lighter. At Garden Island a steam pump was taken on board. Capt. Donnelly the wrecker, will superintend the work of floating the schooner. Capt. Gaskin and Mr. J. Swift also went on the expedition.
      Kingston Whig-Standard
      Thursday, October 28, 1880

      ARRIVAL OF THE FOLGER. -- The vessel reported to be ashore on the Main Ducks proved to be the B.W. FOLGER. She arrived here this morning at 1 o'clock in tow of the ACTIVE. Capt. B.J. Ryan states that on Monday evening about 6 o'clock the schooner left Oswego for Kingston. There was a fresh breeze and the vessel sped along in fine time. After running some distance the captain went to see what time it was and found that the clock indicated 8:20 p.m. Later he went to the clock and found that it still indicated 8:20 p.m. The captain was now in a dilemma. He imagined, however that they were near the Ducks and hauled the vessel to the westward so as to clear these dangerous Islands. He had no sooner done so when the vessel struck and went hard on the rocky shore.
      Whether it was Monday night or Tuesday morning the captain was unable to say. On Tuesday there was a heavy sea and the crew were unable to reach the shore. A fisherman named Alvin Davis, from Wolfe Island, attempted to rescue them and got within a few lengths of the vessel when he was capsized. He succeeded in getting ashore safely. About dusk on Tuesday evening the gale abated and the crew succeeded in getting ashore. They were hospitably received by the fisherman. Yesterday morning Capt. Ryan borrowed the fisherman's skiff to come to Kingston. He met the tug ACTIVE about a mile beyond Pigeon Island. He returned to the vessel and the steam pump was put aboard. About 60 or 70 tons of coal were taken out and put in the lighter, when the schooner was floated without difficulty. A start was at once made for Kingston. This morning two gangs of men and teams were engaged in getting the coal out of the vessel. The pump was kept at work and a large stream of water poured out. When the coal was taken out the steamer PIERREPONT took the vessel to the Marine Railway for repairs.
      Kingston Whig-Standard
      Friday, October 29, 1880

      The schooner B.W. FOLGER had several planks in her bottom stove in and her keelson damaged by running ashore. A few other repairs will be necessary, the whole costing $600.
      Kingston Whig-Standard
      Saturday, October 30, 1880

Media Type:
Item Type:
Reason: aground
Freight: coal
Remarks: Got off
Date of Original:
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Geographic Coverage:
William R. McNeil
Copyright Statement:
Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

B. W. Folger (Schooner), aground, 25 Oct 1880