The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
Regina (Schooner), sunk, 10 Sep 1881

Full Text

Chicago, Sept. 12. -- The schooner REGINA, laden with salt, from Goderich to Owen Sound, foundered off Cove Island in Saturday's night's gale, and went down with all on board.
      Cleveland herald
      Tuesday, September 13, 1881
      . . . . .

Owen Sound, Ont., Sept. 12. -- P. Larkins' Dredge No. 4 and the tug ERIE BELLE arrived here this A. M. from Southampton, where they have been lying for some days for shelter, in charge of captain Cannon. He reports that the schooner REGINA, laden with salt, from Goderich for Owen Sound, foundered off Cove Island on Saturday night in the gale, and went down with all on board. The following are the names of the lost crew: Captain Amos Tripp, of Collingwood, who leaves a wife; John Young, Collingwood: Wm. Lawrence, Collingwood: John Oaks, Port Huron, and one man whose name is unknown. He shipped from Owen Sound on the vessels last trip. A clock belonging to the REGINA was picked up on the shore today by some fishermen. It had stopped at 1 o'clock, which would indicate that hour as the time when the ill-fated vessel went down. She now lies in seven fathoms of water, with her topmasts visible. The REGINA was 118 tons, classed B 2, built at St. Catharines in 1866, and valued at $2,000, and with a cargo uninsured. She was owned by Wm. Foster, of this city.
      The J.W. Hall Great Lakes marine Scrapbook, June/Sept., 1881
      . . . . .
The schooner REGINA, laden with salt from Goderich to Owen Sound foundered off Cove Island at 1 o'clock Sunday morning, all on board, 5, being lost. The REGINA was 118 tons and built at St. Catharines in 1868 and owned by Wm. Foster of Owen Sound.
      Port Huron Daily Times
      Wednesday, September 14, 1881
      . . . . .
The following are the names of the crew lost by the foundering of the schooner REGINA: Captain Amos Tripp; William Lawrence and John Oaks, of Port Huron, and one man whose name is unknown. Captain Tripp leaves a wife. A clock belonging to the REGINA was picked up on the shore by some fishermen. It had stopped at 1 o'clock, which would indicate that hour as the time when the ill-fated vessel went down. The REGINA was 118 tons, classed B 2, was built at St. Catharines in 1866, valued at $2,000, and, with the cargo was uninsured. She was owned by William Foster, of Owen Sound.
      Cleveland Herald
      Thursday, September 15, 1881
      . . . . .
      Two of the shipwrecked crew of the Schooner REGINA arrived here on the JANE MILLER on Wednesday`evening, having been picked up by that boat with two of their comrades, who landed at Owen Sound, off Cabot's Head about twenty five miles from where they were wrecked. They state that when the schooner commenced to founder they all took to the yawl and as the Captain was pushing away from the schooner the yawl slipped from under him and he was left hanging to the main boom, the rest of the crew tried to get the boat back to him but having only one oar they could not successfully contest with the heavy sea then running and the poor fellow had to perish in the waves. The report in the daily papers state that the whole crew was lost, that we are glad to say was not correct
      Meaford 'Monitor'
      Friday, September 16,1881

      . . . . .

The body of the late Captain Tripp, who was lost off the schooner " REGINA ,"was brought here from Cove Island, on the tug BELLE on Sunday evening last. It was taken to Collingwood next morning.
      Meaford Monitor
      Friday, October 7, 1881

      . . . . .

The Chicago Tribune prints a dispatch from Owen Sound, stating that the tug MATHAM, of Collingwood, arrived there early Tuesday morning, from the Cove Isle, having on board part of the wreck of the schooner REGINA, consisting of standing rigging and running gear and main and fore booms, but no canvas. It was picked up between Cove Isle and the main Isle and the main land. The hull of the REGINA still remains in the same position as when she went down. A careful search was made by the tug for Captain Tripp's body, but without success. A number of fishing boats are keeping a close lookout for it in the neighborhood of the wreck.
      Cleveland Herald
      Friday, September 23, 1881

      . . . . .

      THE REGINA -- The Owen Sound Tribune says: Mr. Wm. Foster has, during the past week been up at the wreck of the vessel, in hopes of being able to raise her, but this he has been unabie to do. He returned on Monday night bringing with him the clock and several articles which were found floating. The body of Captain Tripp has not been found. A suspicion is being very wildly entertained and from certain facts we would judge not without cause, that the surviving sailors abandoned the vessel before she sank, leaving the captain to his fate. It is hard indeed to believe that sailors would be guilty of so inhuman an action, yet circumstances make it to any the least, very suspicious. The mate said that after the vessel once commenced to fill she went down instantly, about eleven o'clock. The clock which was afterwards picked up, had stopped at one o'clock, and this would lead to the conclusion that it was at that time when the boat went under, more particularly as it started again upon being freed of water When our reporter asked the mate if the captain did not shout to them when they were leaving, he warned him particularly to say nothing about that. In fact his story appeared to be studied one from beginning to end, but not without flaws. It has been proven that the wind was not in the direction he stated when the vessel went down. ~&
      Collingwood Bulletin
      September 28, 1881
      . . . . .
      The loss of the small schooner REGINA in 1881 is remembered yet as one of the most tragic of the Tobermory wrecks. Launched in 1865 at St. Catharines the 118-ton vessel was owned for many years by her builder, Louis Shickluna. By 1879 George E. Smith of Southampton had purchased the REGINA and put her into the coastal trade between Goderich and the Georgian Bay. He almost lost her in the fall of '79 when she went ashore near Port Elgin loaded with pork, flour, sugar and molasses. The cargo was destroyed and the REGINA heavily damaged. (137) In the spring of 1881 William Foster of Owen Sound bought her for $2,000 and a Collingwood sailor, Amos Tripp, became her master. (138)
      On Sept. 6 1881 the REGINA cleared Goderich with 1,000 barrels of salt for James Anderson of Owen Sound. (139) In addition to Captain Tripp the crew consisted of four men - mate John Young and cook William Lawrence, both of Collingwood, and seamen Henry Haight and William Verron. Heavy weather forced the REGINA into Southampton and not until the morning of Saturday, the 10th, was it possible to continue the voyage. She set out at 8 a.m. before a light south wind and when the tug ERIE BELLE steamed by several hours later she appeared in good shape.
The REGINA bore northward through the day, the Bruce Peninsula a faint line of green to starboard. Early in the evening, about six o'clock, the wind began to rise out of the southwest and a series of violent squalls were soon sweeping across Lake Huron. Mate Young later chronicled the ordeal which now began to unfold :
      "At 8 p.m. we sighted Cove Island light, bearing north by east, wind shifting to westward and blowing a gale. At 10 p.m. the davits were carried away by the boat, and swung to the painter astern. At 10:30 p.m. we made a reef in the mainsail to clear the light. Finding the vessel labouring heavily and making water fast, we bore up and ran for Cove Island beach. She made water so fast that she got beyond control, and was sinking fast. The Captain gave an order for the men to take to the boats to save their lives. All hands succeeded in reaching the boat except the Captain, who was at the wheel. He caught the main boom and hung to it, but the life boat being half full of water and having only one oar we were unable to render him any assistance or to reach him. We then ran the yawl for Cape Hurd Passage. The Captain, when last seen, was clinging to the wreck and calling for assistance. We made Flower Pot Island at 1:30 on Sunday morning, and lay down in the bush to rest till daylight. About 8 a.m. a vessel passed, but was too far away to be signalled. At 9 a.m. we started toward another boat, with the yawl, but our signal was not answered. We then made for the mainland, which we reached about 1l a.m. on Sunday. Finding no inhabitants, we made for Cabot's Head, where we arrived at six p.m., having then to travel to Lion's Head, where we took the propeller "JANE MILLER ."(140)
      For a time some hope was held out that Captain Tripp had managed to survive. A clock, showing one o'clock, was found soon after the disaster, indicating that the REGINA had remained afloat for some time after the crew left her. The Collingwood tug GEORGE MAYTHERN, which was despatched to recover what she could from the wreck, coasted the islands in search of the missing captain, as did a number of the Tobermory fishermen. Finally, on Sept. 16, Cove Island lightkeeper George Currie found his body on the island's west shore and buried him in the shallow soil.
      The MAYTHERN arrived at Owen Sound on the 20th having on board the REGINA's standing rigging, running gear, and main and fore booms, which were found between Cove Island and the mainland. The wreck, her topmasts visible, lay in some seven fathoms, probably in the area north of Northwest Bank, and was given up as a total loss.
      (137) Toronto Globe, Nov. 21, 1879.
      (138) Toronto Globe, Sept. 13, 1881.
      (139) Wiarton Echo, Sept. 16, 1881.
      (140) Toronto Globe, Sept. 15, 1881
      (141) Cove Island Lighthouse, Journal Book, Sept. 16, 1881: "… went to west side of
      island to-day, found the body of the Captain of the REGINA, sewed him in canvas
      and buried him, the topmasts are still to be seen above water…."
      From Shipwrecks of the Saugeen
      By Patrick Folkes

Media Type:
Item Type:
Reason: sunk
Lives: all
Freight: salt
Remarks: Total loss
Date of Original:
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Geographic Coverage:
  • Ontario, Canada
    Latitude: 45.306666 Longitude: -81.725
William R. McNeil
Copyright Statement:
Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

Regina (Schooner), sunk, 10 Sep 1881