The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
Detroit Free Press (Detroit, MI), Sep. 10, 1885

Full Text
The Hackett's Checkered Career.

The FREE PRESS correspondent at Amherstburg, writing of the tug Bob Hackett, says: The Hackett was built in Amherstburg for the Windsor & Lake Shore route about twenty years ago by J. P. Jones for Robert Reynolds and Felix Jones, of Windsor, and was cut in two and lengthened at Amherstburg about 1872. She ran on the above route for years, until a larger boat was found necessary, when the Lake Breeze, which was burned at Leamington with the loss of one life, took her place. The Breeze was succeeded by the Erie Belle, which was blown up at Kincardine, with the loss of several lives.

The Hackett has been sunk several times and damaged by fires. She was sunk at Windsor, Walkerville and Amherstburg, all within five years, but always had enough insurance to raise her. She has changed owners so often that it was difficult to keep track of her and there are many old bills standing against her or her former owners.

The tug Bob Hackett is sunk about 800 or 1,000 feet above Bois Blanc Island, nearly in the channel. Steamers with big tows should be careful not to get too far to westward at this point. She sunk in five minutes after being struck, and clothing containing money belonging to several of her crew went with her. One man, it is reported, lost $160, another $15, and a third $20.

The Hackett - St. Magnus Collision.

The crew of the tug Bob Hackett, sunk by collision with the propeller St. Magnus Tuesday night, were taken off by the propeller. The tug was cut to the keel. The wheelman of the Hackett claims that the St. Magnus showed only her starboard light, so he started to pass to the starboard. The Magnus then whistled for port and the Hackett responded, but the wheelman barely had time to put his wheel about when the collision occurred. He says when he went aboard the Magnus he looked particularly for her red light but there was none. He then went into the cabin and a few minutes after came back and found it lighted.

Dominion Marshall John Campbell, who sold the tug at forced sale in March last for $1,360, says that Sol. Wigle is the sole owner. Odette & Wherry have no interest in her. She carried $4,000 fire insurance and $1,200 marine, the latter by the Western Company of Toronto. R. A. Reynolds, the Windsor agent of the company, stated yesterday that she would no doubt be raised, though the company had left it's decision in the matter to its inspector, Capt. J. T. Douglas, who was expected at Windsor last night. Mr. Reynolds said he has no doubt that the St. Magnus was to blame, and they would seize her. The stem of the Magnus was broken and her starboard planks shivered by the shock. The planking was patched at the Detroit Dry-dock, where she left late in the afternoon.

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Original:
Sep. 10, 1885
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Dave Swayze
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

Detroit Free Press (Detroit, MI), Sep. 10, 1885