Jane McLeod (Schooner), C85340, aground, 4 Nov 1890
- Full Text
The schooner JANE McLEOD, owned by Captain Dancy, and sailed by Captain Wm. Robinson, went ashore about 16 miles from Parry Sound on Nov. 4th. Her cargo of Hay and Oats which were shipped here was delivered before the vessel went ashore. The cause of her beaching was the parting of a cable chain, which snapped off allowing her to drift on a rock, although every effort was made by crowding on sail to head her into a place of safety. Captain Robinson and his crew had to camp on the rock for 5 days. No blame attaches to the captain or crew for the loss of the vessel. She lies in 18 feet of water, and is up to the present not badly damaged.
November 21, 1890
schooner JANE McLEOD. Official Canada No. 85340. Of 181 tons reg. Built St. Catharines, Ont., 1868. Home port, St. Catharines, Ont. 117.6 x 23.9 x 9.6 Owned by T.N. Dancy, of Goderich, Ont.
List of Vessels on the Registry Books of the
Dominion of Canada on December 31, 1886
NOTE: The remains of the schooner JANE McLEOD, lies alongside the Island, named after her, McLeod Island, near Snug Harbor, in a location of N. 45 degrees, 21' 15 W. 80 degrees 18' 37" chart No. 2284, this is on the west side of the island and only 25 feet from shore in water no deeper than 25 feet. The hull lies flat in the sand and badly broken, part of her decking laid across one side of the wreck, the capstan was on the wreck. B. McN.
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Reason: aground
Remarks: Total loss
- Date of Original:
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- William R. McNeil
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes