Thank you for your letter of September 29, concerning the
wreck of the tug "A.V. CRAWFORD".
The information we have on our records is as follows:
"A.V. CRAWFORD' Official Number 96873 registered at Goderich on October 2, 1927.
Vessel wrecked in gale at Southampton, Ont. and abandoned September 27, 1928. The owner at that time was William Lawrence Forest, of Goderich, Ont. The vessel's register was closed September 28, 1928.
Marine Investigations and Wreck
. . . . .
The A. V. CRAWFORD.
Eight hundred yards north of the mouth of the Saugeen River and two hundred feet from shore, in water 10 to 15 feet deep lies the remains of the steam tug. A. V. CRAWFORD, 51 tons gross or 35 tons net. Built at Goderich, Ontario. in 1891. she had a wooden hull and a horse-power rating of 20. 93; registered at Goderich, No. 96873; owner William Lawrence Forest of Goderich at the time of her loss. The was wrecked during a heavy gale on September 26th. 1928 and was abandoned thenext day, the 27th. The vessel's register was closed on the 28th. September 1928,
While not of any historical significance, the A. V. CRAWFORD is, nevertheless, one of the Southampton shipwrecks, and is of interest to the local museum as such. With this in mind, the wreck was subjected to a rough search for suitable artifacts for display purposes. The following articles were taken from the site and are available to the museum at Southampton.
1 2½ " brass steam vale in good working order. It is thought to be the whistle or horn control.
5 brass steam valves of various sizes jil to
1 boiler plug tap, 1 ¾" diameter.
1 wrench, 1-5/8" diameter.
4 cold chisels.
I metal file.
2 hammer heads.
The rudder, barn-door type.
The wreck had been obviously salvaged since her engines and boiler were missing. The rudder was lying about 30 yards from the rest of her and the rock which she had tripped on
was easy to guess at, since it was less than six feet below the surface and was close to the rudder. The bottom of the tug was completely covered with sand and boulders, probably
pushed there by the ice. The entire site covered no more than 40 feet square, and was located by observing pieces of piping sticking out of the sandy bottom.
A C C W A report 1970
by Scarborough Underwater Club