The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
A. B. Taylor (Propeller), U106257, fire, 8 Nov 1901

Full Text

The steamer A. B. TAYLOR, which had been out of commission a year, burned to the water's edge while lying at the dock at Grand Haven yesterday. A gale was blowing at the time and for a while the entire water front, with its elevators and warehouses were threatened, but by good work of the fire department saved the city from a serious fire. A blaze was discovered on board the TAYLOR the previous afternoon, but was extinguished without great damage, and it is believed that some of the live embers were left and started yesterday's fire. The TAYLOR was owned by E. C. Dunbar of Grand haven. She was valued at $10,000, and was partly insured. The burned boat formerly ran between Chicago and Michigan City in the trade and passenger business.
      Chicago Record Herald
      November 8, 1901
      Steam screw A.B. TAYLOR. U. S. No. 106257. Of 103.64 tons gross; 72.56 tons net. Built Saugatuck, Mich., 1884. Home port, Grand Haven, Mich. 106.0 x 20.0 x 7.8
      Merchant Vessel List, U. S., 1897

Steam screw A.B. TAYLOR.* U. S. No. 106257. Of 77 tons gross. Built Saugatuck, Mich., 1884. 106.0 x 20.0 x 7.8
      * Renamed OTTAWA - U. S. - 1902
      Herman Runge List

Media Type:
Item Type:
Reason: fire
Lives: nil
Remarks: Rebuilt as OTTAWA
Date of Original:
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Geographic Coverage:
  • Michigan, United States
    Latitude: 43.06307 Longitude: -86.22839
William R. McNeil
Copyright Statement:
Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Comment on this item
Groups of Related Records
Shipwreck news
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

A. B. Taylor (Propeller), U106257, fire, 8 Nov 1901