The tug JOE MAC, while towing the schooner LYMAN CASEY up the St. Lawrence River Saturday afternoon, was run into by the propeller EAST, also bound up, and sunk. The MAC is owned by Seymour & Co. of Ogdensburg. She was built in this city by Gibson & Craig in 1873, and is valued at $8,500
Toronto Daily Globe
Saturday, August 7, 1875
The tug JOE MAC, recently rolled over and sunk by the propeller EAST, off Cole's Light, St. Lawrence River, has been raised and taken to Ogdensburg. When first discovered after the accident, the MAC was laying in 80 feet of water. She was raised about 40 feet towards the surface and an attempt made to tow her ashore, but the chains parted and she went to the bottom, this time in 100 feet of water. The second attempt was attended with better success
Toronto Daily Globe
Thursday, August 26, 1875
. . . . .
SEIZED. - In the summer of 1875 the propeller EAST ran down and sank the tug JOE MAC, not even pausing to save her crew from drowning. Last winter Messrs. Seymour & Co., owners of the JOE MAC, obtained a judgement against the owners of the EAST, but have been unable to seize the vessel as that could be effected only in American waters. Last Sunday morning the steam tug SEYMOUR, with a United States marshal and posse on board, proceeded up to Allen's , and there lay in wait for the EAST, which about mid day went up by the Crossover light channel in American waters. The SEYMOUR ran out, and made the capture in fine style, and in the evening steamed up to Averell's wharf, where the EAST now lies. - Ogdensburg Advance.
November 9, 1876
THE PROPELLER EAST. -- The Ogdensburg Journal says. "The propeller EAST, seized by United States Marshal C. A. Benton, while she was passing up the St. Lawrence River last fall and brought here, has been in the courts ever since. It was stated that the seizure was an act of piracy, and the case taken into the United States District Court to secure the release of the vessel. It has just been decided by Judge Wallace, who holds that the seizure was legal, and the costs must follow the vessel. The EAST sank the JOE MAC near Cole's Light in 1875. Seymours & Co., the owners of the JOE MAC, sued in the Canadian Courts and obtained a judgment for the amount of damages. It was on this judgment that the vessel was seized while in American waters."
March 31, 1877
NOTE: The provenance on both vessels is a bit fuzzy. The screw tug JOE MAC (US#13301) was built by VanSlyke & Notter at Buffalo in 1864, was rebuilt in 1873 and listed in most sources as having been first built in '73 (but has a continuous presence in official U.S. documents from at least 1868). She came into Canadian registry in 1878, possibly after being recovered from the collision mentioned above, and was condemned at Montreal in 1898. The prop EAST was also built in 1864, by A. Cantin, Quebec, and was reduced to a barge in 1878. Some sources say she was built as the steamer CANTIN.