SPINNER SUNK IN SOO RIVER.
Sault Ste. Marie, Oct. 15. -- The steamer F. E. SPINNER was sunk by collision with the steamer H. D. COFFINBERRY in St. Marys River at noon today. The crew of the SPINNER all escaped. Their ship was bound down, loaded with lumber. Between Nine-mile Point and the Dyke, according to the captain, J. H. Madden, the steamer RHODES passed the SPINNER, causing the latter to sheer in her course, when the COFFINBERRY, which was also astern, struck the SPINNER on the port side near the bow, crushing in the timbers and making a leak through which the water rushed rapidly.
Capt. Madden immediately headed his boat for shoal water, and she finally settled to the bottom in seventeen feet of water. The COFFINBERRY continued on her course and was apparently uninjured by the collision. The SPINNER is owned by David J. Ranson, of Sault Ste. Marie. She was of 777 net tons, and measured 186 feet keel by 35 feet beam. She was built in 1874.
The SPINNER has a penchant for colliding in the Soo River and shooting to the bottom. In 1886, or thereabouts, when owned in Canada and known as the QUEBEC, she was cut down by an American freighter and went to the bottom near Sailor's Encampment in 75 feet of water. The feat or raising her out of that great depth in the swift current was a notable one. The Murphy Wrecking Company, of this city, after weeks of hard labor, much risk and considerable expense, finally brought her to the surface. The wreckers were compelled to take the steamer as payment for their work. She was brought down here, rebuilt, given an American register and sold to Thomas Adams and Jesse H. Farwell, of this city. By them she was operated for some years, towing the schooners JEREMIAH GODFREY and SHAWNEE, until four or five years ago, they sold her. She was worth before the collision about $25,000 and was uninsured. Her rating was A 2.
Detroit Free Press
October 16, 1900
Steam screw H.D. COFFINBERRY. U. S. No. 95285. Of 858.35 tons gross; 706.78 tons net. Built East Saginaw, Mich., 1874. Home port, Cleveland, O. 191.4 x 33.5 x 13.4 Of 766 nominal horsepower.
Merchant Vessel List, U. S., 1897