Caroline E. Bailey (Schooner), fire, 1 Feb 1863
- Full Text
On Thursday evening last about 8 o'clock, a fire was observed to burst out of the cabin of the schooner CAROLINE BAILEY laying at the Company's wharf, in this town, when the alarm was immediately giver, and the fire company and citizens proceeded to the scene of the conflagration and after considerable effort the flames were subdued, but not before the schooner had been scuttled. The vessel was considerably injured, the whole of her cabin and most of her deck having been burned, and many of her timbers injured. The loss is about $500. The vessel was moored alongside the grain elevator and immediately adjoining the propeller SUN which, if the devouring element had not fortunately been overcome, must have fallen a prey to the flames.
The vessel is owned by Mr. Stafford of Chicago, and we are inclined to think that there was no insurance on it at the time. The fire originated from the heat of the stove-pipe in the cabin, during the absence of the young man in charge.
Thursday, February 12, 1863
. . . . .
The brig NORTHUMBERLAND, Capt. Mutton with a cargo of 100,000 feet of lumber and a quantity of cedar posts, and the schooner CAROLINE BAILEY, Capt. Dunlop, with a cargo of cedar posts, are now both ready for sea, the latter having been thoroughly overhauled and repaired, since the accident by fire in February last, which was so nearly burning her up.
Mr. A. Dudgeon, of this town, had the contract for raising the vessel and repairing the damage, and it is almost needless to say that the work has been done in a substantial and workmanship manner, and to the entire satisfaction of the owners.
Thursday, April 9, 1863
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Reason: fire
- Date of Original:
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- William R. McNeil
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes