Tug SIGNAL, of Collingwood destroyed by fire near Midland, Ontario, Oct. 2, 1905
Steamboat Inspection chairman's Report 1906
. . . . .
MAGANETTAWAN Propeller:- On Thursday afternoon the steamer NORTHERN BELL brought the news that the Tug MAGNETTAWAN sic, owned by Capt. A.W. Clark of Parry Sound, had been destroyed off the mouth of the Nascoutayong River, sic (Naiscoot River) near the Byng Inlet. It seems that the Tug HOWARD, was towing logs up the shore, when she broke her propeller wheel and was drifting helplessly onto the rocks, when she signalled the NAGNETTAWAN to come to her relief. Seeing her companion in danger the MAGNETTAWAN put on a full head of steam and hurried to her rescue, and while on the way struck a shoal and went hard on. Other Tugs came to take her off and help the HOWARD, which boat is now safe, but the MAGNETTAWAN broke in two and went to pieces. She now lies about seven feet under water, a total wreck. We Sympathize with Captain Clark in his loss. (Parry Sound Star. undated)
July 23, 1896
. . . . .
Captain Arthur Clark has been in town this week. He returns from the wreck of the MAGANETAWAN and reports that everything of value has been saved. He left for Collingwood yesterday in order, if possible, to buy a hull that is now in course of building. If he is not successful, a new hull will be built here during the coming winter, and the machinery of the MAGANETAWAN placed therein. - (Parry Sound Canadian. undated)
Aug. 20, 1896
. . . . .
The wooden propeller MAGANETTAWAN measured 100' x 21' x 9', Official Number 71112. She was built in 1877 by Story at Byng Inlet for the local MAGANETTAWAN Lumber Company, Limited, an Ontario company incorporated August 1st, 1876.
From 1877 until 1881 she was operated between Byng Inlet and Collingwood with passengers, mail and package freight, calling both ways at Parry Sound. She therefore came into competition with the 135 foot side-wheeler WAUBUNO which ran between her home port Parry Sound and Collingwood.
On November 24th, 1879, the upbound MAGANETTAWAN's safe arrival at Parry Sound brought her into the news because the overdue WAUBUNO had cleared Collingwood on November 22nd several hours ahead of the MAGANETTAWAN. It was discovered later the WAUBUNO foundered in the northwest gale with all twenty four persons on board. The MAGANETTAWAN had survived the gale by sheltering behind Christian Island's curving Bar Point until the gale subsided and then proceeding up the Inside Passage.
In 1884 the MAGANETTAWAN was purchased by Jesse Peckham of Waubaushene and in 1896 he sold her to William Irwin of Collingwood who held timber limits at Lake Wahnapitae and near Byng Inlet. He used her for lumbering. On July 15th, 1896, she was so engaged at the mouth of the Naiscoot River, ten miles south of Byng Inlet, and stranded on one of the numerous submerged rocks. On September 10th, 1896, her engine and boiler were salvaged, and installed later in the tug SIGNAL at Owen Sound. (by W.R. Williams)
Winter 1954 p. 289
. . . . .
SIGNAL Screw propeller. Official Canadian No. 103577. Of 94 gross tons; 64 tons reg. Built at Collingwood, Ont., in 1896. Home port, Collingwood, Ont. 82.0 x 15.8 x 8.4 Of 11 horse power. Owned by Wm. White of Midland, Ont.
List of Canadian Registered Steam Vessels on
The Registry Books on December 31, 1905