Chattanooga, U127255, abandoned as breakwall, 1934
- Full Text
Schooner Barge CHATTANOOGA. U. S. No. 127255. Of 2339 gross tons. Built West Bay City, Mich., 1898 by James Davidson. 308.0 x 45.0 x 21.5 Abandoned 1926
Herman Runge List
The propeller C.F. BIELMAN was taken to Georgian Bay by a tug in 1834 and lies end to end with another vessel, the CHATTANOOGA, almost at a right angle to the shore and supposedly were to form part of a dock for a gravel operation on the island, but which never materialized, they both lie off the east side of Great Duck Island, L.H. just south of Gravel Point. It is assumed that both vessels may have been placed about the same time, 1934
Information Courtesy Patrick Folkes
" Gravel Point, on the east side of Great Duck Island, has a slight bay south of it in which, at the site of a former fishing station, there is a small wharf which is used by the lighthouse keeper. A wreck, elevation 2 feet, lies near the wharf and provides some shelter from southerly winds"
1984 "Sailing Directions Great Lakes Vol. 11.
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Reason: abandoned as breakwall
- Date of Original:
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- William R. McNeil
- Copyright Statement:
- Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes