THE CLEVELAND LIGHTS
The lighthouse board gives notice that on and after Oct. 20, 1885, there will be shown from the structure recently erected on the crib standing 24 feet south of the east end of the breakwater, Cleveland harbor, O., a light of the following characteristics: It will be of the fourth order and illuminate the entire horizon, showing alternate red and white flashes at intervals of ten seconds. The focal plane is 27 feet above the base of the tower and 36 feet above the level of the lake. The light should be seen in clear weather from the deck of a vessel ten feet above the lake twelve statute miles. The structure is a brown octagonal tower surmounted by a black lantern and railing.
The approximate position of the lighthouse, as taken from the survey charts, is as follows: Latitude, 41 deg., 30 min., 26 sec. north. Longitude, 81 deg., 42 min., 56 sec. west. The magnetic bearings and distances to prominent objects are as follows: Waterworks crib, W. one-third N, 1¼ statute miles. During thick and foggy weather there will be sounded at this station a fog bell struck by machinery, giving one blow every ten seconds.
Also on the same date the light of the Cleveland west beacon will be changed to a fixed white light, varied by red flashes as now shown. the fog-bell at this station has been discontinued.