NOTICE TO MARINERS
Racine (Root River) Light Station - Notice is hereby given that, on or about November 23, 1901, the fourth-order fixed white light, shown from the square tower attached to the brick dwelling at this station, on the north pier at the entrance to Racine harbor, will be discontinued.
The present fog bell will be attached to the easterly side of the tower and will be sounded by machinery as heretofore, a single blow every 20 seconds during thick or foggy weather. On the same date the present sixth order fixed red light, on the north pier, near its outer end, will be discontinued.
Notice is hereby given that, on or about November 23, 1901, a fourth-order fixed red light will be established in the new steel structure recently erected at the outer end of the north pier, entrance to Racine harbor, westerly side of Lake Michigan. The light will illuminate 270 degrees of the horizon, from south round by eastward and southward to east; bearings true and from seaward. The focal plane of the light will be 46 feet above mean lake level, and the light will be visible 14 statute miles in clear weather, the observer's eye 15 feet above the lake. The structure is a white square, pyramidal steel tower, the lower half open, the upper half inclosed, surmounted by a black, ten-sided lantern.
The approximate geographical position of the tower is: Latitude, north, 42 degrees, 44 minutes (04 seconds); longitude, west, 87 degrees, 46 minutes (30 seconds).