C. Quackenbush, one of the oldest tug
captains on the Welland Canal, died at
Port Dalhousie. recently, aged 67. He
had been engaged on tugs for 40 years.
During the past season, 2,656 vessel
passages were recorded through the
Welland canal. This is an increase of
nearly 600 over the previous year, which
was a record.
We are officially advised that there is
nothing whatever in the report that the
Merchants' Mutual Line will operate
passenger vessels, between the head of
the lakes and Montreal, next season.
The amount of grain received at Kingston,
during the 1910 season was 14,953,418 bush., of which 13,889,560 bush. were for Montreal. This is stated
to be a season's record for the port.
Application is being made to the Ontario
Legislature for confirmation of the
city of Kingston's bylaw, passed Mar.
28, 1910, to partially exempt the Kingston
Shipbuilding Co.'s property from
The Northern Navigation Co.'s s.s. Hamonic.
during the past season, made 31
trips to the head of the lakes, and completed
41.200 miles, which is claimed to
be a record.
The Toronto Ferry Co.'s tender for the
lease of the ferry wharves, for the year,
at $5,050. and the Turbine Steamship
Co.'s tender for its wharf, at $2,000,
have been accepted by the Toronto board
The Montreal city council recently
passed a resolution in favor of the proposed
Georgian Bay canal and calling
upon Parliament to carry out "this essentially
national enterprise with the
shortest possible delay."
The Hamilton. Ont., city council has
petitioned the Minister of Public Works
to widen and deepen the canal at the
beach there, to allow of larger vessels
passing through, thus cheapening rates
and benefitting the city generally.
N. L. Martin & Co., as assignees of
the Montreal River Transportation Co.,
in liquidation, will receive tenders to
Jan. 10, for the assets of the company,
consisting of five motor boats, one scow.
one small boat, a quantity of lumber
W. E. Bishop, General Manager, and
E. Callaghan, Local Manager, Hamilton,
of the Hamilton Steamboat Co.. were
each presented with a diamond and amethyst
tie pin, recently, by the Toronto
Police Amateur Athletic Association, in
recognition of their support.
Press reports state that on the reopening
of navigation, some changes
will take place in the control of a number
of docks, wharves. etc.. whereby
these will be transferred from the jurisdiction
of the Public Works Department
to that of the Marine Department.
The steam tug Despatch was towed
into Port Bruce recently by the ferry
steamboat Marquette and Bessemer No.
2, with 4 ft. of water in her hold. The
tug sprang a leak, and the crew were
about to abandon the boat, when the
ferry sighted her and took her in tow.
The plans for the construction of a
dry dock and shipbuilding plant at
Owen Sound will shortly be submitted
to the Government for approval, in connection
with the application for a subsidy under the act granting aid for the construction of such public works.
Press reports from Port Arthur, state
that the Canadian Northern Ry., intends
spending about $300,000 in the extension
of the coal handling plant there,
next summer. It is said that additional
unloading machinery, derricks and
yard room will be provided.
Deputations connected with the various
shipping interests concerned, waited
on the Dominion Premier Dec 12
and 13, to state their views on the construction
of the proposed Georgian Bay
canal and the enlarging of the Welland
The steam tug Jean, owned in Amherstburg.
was burnt there, Dec. 11. She
was built at Buffalo, N.Y., in 1889, and
was a screw driven vessel with engine
of 4 n.h.p. Her dimensions were,
length, 49 ft.; breadth, 12.4 ft.; depth,
4.4 ft.; tonnage, 21 gross, 14 register.
The Kingston Shipping Co., Kingston,
has transferred its s.s. Prince upert [Prince Rupert] from
the British to the Canadian register. She
was built at Dumbarton, Scotland, in
1908, and is screw driven, with engine
of 170 n.h.p. Her dimensions are, length
249 ft., breadth 43 ft., depth 19.5 ft.;
tonnage, 1908 gross, 1172 register.
The Great Lakes and St. Lawrence
Transportation Co.'s steamboat John
Sharpies, which ran ashore at Gull Island
shoals, near Cape Vincent, Lake
Ontario, Dec. 8, was reported to be full
of water and in bad condition, Dec. 13,
and attempts at salving her were abandoned.
The Inland Lines steamboat Emperor
was launched at Collingwood, Dec. 17.
Her dimensions are: length 525 ft., beam
56 ft., depth, molded, 31 ft. She has
been built of steel, with side ballast
tanks and double bottom, and has been
designed on the arch and web system of
construction, with 30 cargo hatches.
The International Transit Co., Sault
Ste. Marie, has recently purchased in the
U.S., the steamboat Clansman, which it
has registered in Canada, and re-named
Bawating. The vessel was built in Detroit,
Mich., in 1875, and is screw driven,
with engine of 28 n.h.p. Her dimensions
are. length, 110 ft., breadth 29 ft., depth
11.4 ft.; tonnage, 246 gross, 167 register.
A deputation from Kingston, headed
by Hon. W. Harty, waited on the Minister
of Railways and Canals, Dec. 8,
to urge the building of dams along the
Rideau Lakes to hold back the water
for the dry season, for the betterment
of navigation, and to ensure its permanence [p. 91] from the beginning to the end of
The steam tug Saucy Jim, owned in
Collingwood. was burned to the water's
edge, about the end of Nov., 1910, at
Christian Islands. She was built at
Meaford in 1887. and was screw driven
with engine of 16 n.h.p. Her dimensions
were: length, 84 ft.; breadth, 16.6 ft.;
depth 8 ft.; tonnage, 93 gross, 63 register.
She was valued at $10,000.
The steamboat Alaska, owned by W.
J. Pulling & Co., of Windsor. Ont., was
destroyed by fire at Tobermory, at the
end of Nov.. where she was sheltering
during a storm. She was built at Detroit,
Mich., in 1878, and was screw
driven with engine of 8 n.h.p. Her dimensions
were: length. 165.2 ft.: breadth,
29 ft.: depth, 10.6 ft.; tonnage, 348 gross,
The steamboat Winnanna. which was
burned to the water's edge at Tobermory,
Oot. 19, 1909, and subsequently raised
and repaired, has been re-registered at
Owen Sound, and her name changed, by
order-in-council to Keenan. She was
built at Midland, in 1907, and is screw
driven, with engine of 75 n h.p Her dimensions
are, length, 91.5: breadth
20.2; depth, 10.3; tonnage. 199 gross,
The U.S. Lake Survey reports the levels
of the Great Lakes in feet above tidewater,
for Nov.. 1910, as follows: Superior.
601.69; Michigan and Huron,
579.83; Erie, 571.40; Ontario. 245.15. As
compared with the average Nov. levels
for the past 10 years. Superior was 1.19
ft. below: Michigan and Huron, 0.70 ft.
below: Erie, 0.44 ft below, and Ontario
0.34 ft. below An average fall of 0.2 ft.
was anticipated during Dec.
The cribs for the extension of the
dock at Sault Ste. Marie, for which
$10,000 has been included in the estimates
for the current year have been
laid, and the work will be completed in
the spring. The Government is being
asked to undertake further extensions
there, local shippers being of the opinion
that the new western extension should
be the head of a new western wing 2 50
ft. long, running parallel with the present
dock, and that the basin which
would be then enclosed, should be filled
The Wolfe Island township council
decided, Dec. 9, to enlarge the carrying
capacity of its steamboat Wolfe Islander,
by lengthening her by 15 ft., and
adding false sides. Electric lighting
equipment, with search light, will also
be added, the estimated expenditure being
$7,000. The vessel, which was formerly
known as Tom Pawcett, was built
at Toronto in 1904, and is a paddle
wheel steamer, with engine of 28 n.h.p.
Her dimensions now are, length 118.6 ft.,
breadth 17.7 ft., depth, 6.8 ft.: tonnage.
224 gross, 98 register. The receipts of
the ferry service for the season from
Mar to Nov. 1910. were $9,377.35.
A deputation representing various
municipal and marine interests, between
Ottawa and Kingston, waited on the
Minister of Railways and Canals. Dec. 8.
to protest against the C.P.R. proposal to
close a part of the Rideau canal in order
to effect a new entrance to Ottawa. The
deputation also asked that the canal be
made with an 8 ft. draught. The Minister
in reply, pointed out that the
C.P.R. had not asked the Government
to close the canal outlet, and without
committing the Government, he said he
would hesitate before giving his consent
to such a proposal. He promised
that the Government engineers would
report as to the desirability of deepening the canal as suggested.
The bill to amend the Canada Shipping
Act, which was dropped after being
read a second time in the House of Commons,
last session, was re-introduced by
Mr. Edwards and given its first reading
Dec. 1. The bill provides for the insertion
of the word "Ontario" after the
word "Quebec" in line two, par. 2 of par.
c, subsec. one, sec. 477, chap. 113, of the
Revised Statutes of Canada, 1906. The
change proposed is in accordance with
the wishes of the Dominion Marine Association,
which represents practically
all the vessels on the Great Lakes, and
is intended to place the province of Ontario
on a parity with the other provinces
in respect of pilotage dues.
The Toronto city council special committee
on water front improvements,
received representations from the Board
of Trade, Canadian Manufacturers' Association and Guild of Civic Art, early
in Dec, relating to the proposed alteration
in the control of the Toronto water
front. It had previously been proposed
to apply to Parliament to recognize the
present commission, to enlarge its powers,
and to place the whole of the water
front under its control. After discussing
the matter, the committee agreed
to report to the council, that the proposed
commission should consist of
three members, appointed by the city
council, and that the taxpayers be asked
to vote, Jan. 1, whether they approved
the scheme, or not.
The Inland Lines steamboat Dunelm,
with a cargo of grain consigned to J.
Richardson and Son, Kingston, went
ashore at Isle Royale, Dec. 7, and, on
account of the exposed position, and the
state of the weather, all attempts to
save either the cargo or the vessel have
been given up, and she was abandoned
to the underwriters, Dec. 14. She was
built in Sunderland, Eng., in 1907, and
was a screw driven vessel, with engine
of 230 n.h.p. Her dimensions were,
length 250 ft.., breadth 43.2 ft., depth
23.5 ft.; tonnage, 2,319 gross, 1,481 register.
She was one of the vessels formerly
owned by R. O. and A. B. Mackay,
Hamilton, who formed the Inland
Navigation Co.. which was absorbed last
year by the Inland Lines, Ltd., controlled
by Jas. Playfair, Midland She was
later in the month floated and taken to
Port Arthur, for examination.
The new U.S. Lock at Sault Ste. Marie
is progressing, and it is expected that
the excavation for the lock pit will be
completed early this year. The contract
for the concrete will be let during the
winter and work on this will be
commenced in the spring. The MacArthur Bros. Co. has the contract for
the western section of the approach
canal and John Marsch is the contractor
for the lock excavation. The work Is
under the direction of Col. C. McD.
Townsend, U.S. Engineers, and L. C.
Sabin is Assistant Engineer. This new
lock (known as the Davis lock) will be
1,350 ft. long between the gates, 80 ft.
wide and 24% ft. deep below the level
of extreme low water. It will be parallel
with and adjacent to the two existing
locks: the Weltzel lock (1881), 515 by
80 ft., with a depth of 16 ft., and the
Poe lock. (1895), 800 by 100 ft., with a
depth of 21 ft.
At a recent meeting of the Dominion
Marine Association, a protest was made
against the closing of the Ottawa end
of the Rideau Canal, and a deputation
was appointed to interview the Government
on the matter. Aids to navigation
were recommended, as follows: a light
at the end of Indian Island: lighting and
improvement of the Murray canal, improvement
of the channel at Saltpoint,
and it was decided to protest against
the removal of the light from the False
Ducks. Opposition will also be made
to the application of the Canadian Light
& Power Co.. to take water from Coteau
and Cedar Rapids. The Association also
derided to ask the Department of Railways
and Canals to provide special men
to take lines from vessels entering the
St. Lawrence canals, in order to prevent
accidents to vessels and crews, and the
Department of Marine will be asked to
erect range lights near Baker's Point to
improve the channel to Kingston Harbor.
Consideration was also given to
the question of improvements required
at the entrance to the Soulanges canal
The contract for the construction of a
steamboat for the Richelieu and Ontario
Navigation Co.'s Saguenay line, has
been placed in Glasgow, Scotland, by C.
J. Smith, General Manager, who has recently
returned from Great Britain. She
will be a twin screw vessel with four
cylinder triple expansion engines, supplied
with steam by Scotch boilers,
equipped with forced draught, and
capable of steaming at 15 3/4 knots an
hour. Her dimensions will be as follows,
length over all from forward side
of stem to after side of wale at main
deck, 2 82% ft.; length over stem and
stern posts at main deck, 275 ft.; beam
molded on frame, subject to change. 40
ft.; breadth of beam extreme over wales,
57ft. 10 ins.; breadth of beam at 10 ft.
waterline, 39 ft.: depth of hull molded,
at main deck. 15 ft. 10 ins The dining
room will be situated on the main deck,
aft. with seating capacity for 100. The
staterooms will all be arranged as outside
rooms, with running water in each,
as in the Company's steamboats Rochester
and Rapids Prince. There will be
12 parlor rooms with baths attached.
The interior finish of the entrance hall
will be panelled mahogany, the dining
room, panelled in mahogany. oak or
white enamel, cabins on promenade and
gallery decks, in white pin° or cypress
and decoratively painted, cabins on hurricane
deck, panelled in quartered oak,
toilet rooms and bar room in hardwood,
and the pilot house in quartered oak,
while the floors will be laid with interlocking
rubber tiling. The contract calls
for the vessel to he delivered in Quebec