The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
Ontario and the Great Lakes
The Railway and Marine World (Toronto, ON), Jan. 1911, p. 89, 91

Full Text

C. Quackenbush, one of the oldest tug

captains on the Welland Canal, died at

Port Dalhousie. recently, aged 67. He

had been engaged on tugs for 40 years.

During the past season, 2,656 vessel

passages were recorded through the

Welland canal. This is an increase of

nearly 600 over the previous year, which

was a record.

We are officially advised that there is

nothing whatever in the report that the

Merchants' Mutual Line will operate

passenger vessels, between the head of

the lakes and Montreal, next season.

The amount of grain received at Kingston,

during the 1910 season was 14,953,418 bush., of which 13,889,560 bush. were for Montreal. This is stated

to be a season's record for the port.

Application is being made to the Ontario

Legislature for confirmation of the

city of Kingston's bylaw, passed Mar.

28, 1910, to partially exempt the Kingston

Shipbuilding Co.'s property from


The Northern Navigation Co.'s s.s. Hamonic.

during the past season, made 31

trips to the head of the lakes, and completed

41.200 miles, which is claimed to

be a record.

The Toronto Ferry Co.'s tender for the

lease of the ferry wharves, for the year,

at $5,050. and the Turbine Steamship

Co.'s tender for its wharf, at $2,000,

have been accepted by the Toronto board

of control.

The Montreal city council recently

passed a resolution in favor of the proposed

Georgian Bay canal and calling

upon Parliament to carry out "this essentially

national enterprise with the

shortest possible delay."

The Hamilton. Ont., city council has

petitioned the Minister of Public Works

to widen and deepen the canal at the

beach there, to allow of larger vessels

passing through, thus cheapening rates

and benefitting the city generally.

N. L. Martin & Co., as assignees of

the Montreal River Transportation Co.,

in liquidation, will receive tenders to

Jan. 10, for the assets of the company,

consisting of five motor boats, one scow.

one small boat, a quantity of lumber

and supplies.

W. E. Bishop, General Manager, and

E. Callaghan, Local Manager, Hamilton,

of the Hamilton Steamboat Co.. were

each presented with a diamond and amethyst

tie pin, recently, by the Toronto

Police Amateur Athletic Association, in

recognition of their support.

Press reports state that on the reopening

of navigation, some changes

will take place in the control of a number

of docks, wharves. etc.. whereby

these will be transferred from the jurisdiction

of the Public Works Department

to that of the Marine Department.

The steam tug Despatch was towed

into Port Bruce recently by the ferry

steamboat Marquette and Bessemer No.

2, with 4 ft. of water in her hold. The

tug sprang a leak, and the crew were

about to abandon the boat, when the

ferry sighted her and took her in tow.

The plans for the construction of a

dry dock and shipbuilding plant at

Owen Sound will shortly be submitted

to the Government for approval, in connection

with the application for a subsidy under the act granting aid for the construction of such public works.

Press reports from Port Arthur, state

that the Canadian Northern Ry., intends

spending about $300,000 in the extension

of the coal handling plant there,

next summer. It is said that additional

unloading machinery, derricks and

yard room will be provided.

Deputations connected with the various

shipping interests concerned, waited

on the Dominion Premier Dec 12

and 13, to state their views on the construction

of the proposed Georgian Bay

canal and the enlarging of the Welland


The steam tug Jean, owned in Amherstburg.

was burnt there, Dec. 11. She

was built at Buffalo, N.Y., in 1889, and

was a screw driven vessel with engine

of 4 n.h.p. Her dimensions were,

length, 49 ft.; breadth, 12.4 ft.; depth,

4.4 ft.; tonnage, 21 gross, 14 register.

The Kingston Shipping Co., Kingston,

has transferred its s.s. Prince upert [Prince Rupert] from

the British to the Canadian register. She

was built at Dumbarton, Scotland, in

1908, and is screw driven, with engine

of 170 n.h.p. Her dimensions are, length

249 ft., breadth 43 ft., depth 19.5 ft.;

tonnage, 1908 gross, 1172 register.

The Great Lakes and St. Lawrence

Transportation Co.'s steamboat John

Sharpies, which ran ashore at Gull Island

shoals, near Cape Vincent, Lake

Ontario, Dec. 8, was reported to be full

of water and in bad condition, Dec. 13,

and attempts at salving her were abandoned.

The Inland Lines steamboat Emperor

was launched at Collingwood, Dec. 17.

Her dimensions are: length 525 ft., beam

56 ft., depth, molded, 31 ft. She has

been built of steel, with side ballast

tanks and double bottom, and has been

designed on the arch and web system of

construction, with 30 cargo hatches.

The International Transit Co., Sault

Ste. Marie, has recently purchased in the

U.S., the steamboat Clansman, which it

has registered in Canada, and re-named

Bawating. The vessel was built in Detroit,

Mich., in 1875, and is screw driven,

with engine of 28 n.h.p. Her dimensions

are. length, 110 ft., breadth 29 ft., depth

11.4 ft.; tonnage, 246 gross, 167 register.

A deputation from Kingston, headed

by Hon. W. Harty, waited on the Minister

of Railways and Canals, Dec. 8,

to urge the building of dams along the

Rideau Lakes to hold back the water

for the dry season, for the betterment

of navigation, and to ensure its permanence [p. 91] from the beginning to the end of

the season.

The steam tug Saucy Jim, owned in

Collingwood. was burned to the water's

edge, about the end of Nov., 1910, at

Christian Islands. She was built at

Meaford in 1887. and was screw driven

with engine of 16 n.h.p. Her dimensions

were: length, 84 ft.; breadth, 16.6 ft.;

depth 8 ft.; tonnage, 93 gross, 63 register.

She was valued at $10,000.

The steamboat Alaska, owned by W.

J. Pulling & Co., of Windsor. Ont., was

destroyed by fire at Tobermory, at the

end of Nov.. where she was sheltering

during a storm. She was built at Detroit,

Mich., in 1878, and was screw

driven with engine of 8 n.h.p. Her dimensions

were: length. 165.2 ft.: breadth,

29 ft.: depth, 10.6 ft.; tonnage, 348 gross,

173 register.

The steamboat Winnanna. which was

burned to the water's edge at Tobermory,

Oot. 19, 1909, and subsequently raised

and repaired, has been re-registered at

Owen Sound, and her name changed, by

order-in-council to Keenan. She was

built at Midland, in 1907, and is screw

driven, with engine of 75 n h.p Her dimensions

are, length, 91.5: breadth

20.2; depth, 10.3; tonnage. 199 gross,

125 register.

The U.S. Lake Survey reports the levels

of the Great Lakes in feet above tidewater,

for Nov.. 1910, as follows: Superior.

601.69; Michigan and Huron,

579.83; Erie, 571.40; Ontario. 245.15. As

compared with the average Nov. levels

for the past 10 years. Superior was 1.19

ft. below: Michigan and Huron, 0.70 ft.

below: Erie, 0.44 ft below, and Ontario

0.34 ft. below An average fall of 0.2 ft.

was anticipated during Dec.

The cribs for the extension of the

dock at Sault Ste. Marie, for which

$10,000 has been included in the estimates

for the current year have been

laid, and the work will be completed in

the spring. The Government is being

asked to undertake further extensions

there, local shippers being of the opinion

that the new western extension should

be the head of a new western wing 2 50

ft. long, running parallel with the present

dock, and that the basin which

would be then enclosed, should be filled


The Wolfe Island township council

decided, Dec. 9, to enlarge the carrying

capacity of its steamboat Wolfe Islander,

by lengthening her by 15 ft., and

adding false sides. Electric lighting

equipment, with search light, will also

be added, the estimated expenditure being

$7,000. The vessel, which was formerly

known as Tom Pawcett, was built

at Toronto in 1904, and is a paddle

wheel steamer, with engine of 28 n.h.p.

Her dimensions now are, length 118.6 ft.,

breadth 17.7 ft., depth, 6.8 ft.: tonnage.

224 gross, 98 register. The receipts of

the ferry service for the season from

Mar to Nov. 1910. were $9,377.35.

A deputation representing various

municipal and marine interests, between

Ottawa and Kingston, waited on the

Minister of Railways and Canals. Dec. 8.

to protest against the C.P.R. proposal to

close a part of the Rideau canal in order

to effect a new entrance to Ottawa. The

deputation also asked that the canal be

made with an 8 ft. draught. The Minister

in reply, pointed out that the

C.P.R. had not asked the Government

to close the canal outlet, and without

committing the Government, he said he

would hesitate before giving his consent

to such a proposal. He promised

that the Government engineers would

report as to the desirability of deepening the canal as suggested.

The bill to amend the Canada Shipping

Act, which was dropped after being

read a second time in the House of Commons,

last session, was re-introduced by

Mr. Edwards and given its first reading

Dec. 1. The bill provides for the insertion

of the word "Ontario" after the

word "Quebec" in line two, par. 2 of par.

c, subsec. one, sec. 477, chap. 113, of the

Revised Statutes of Canada, 1906. The

change proposed is in accordance with

the wishes of the Dominion Marine Association,

which represents practically

all the vessels on the Great Lakes, and

is intended to place the province of Ontario

on a parity with the other provinces

in respect of pilotage dues.

The Toronto city council special committee

on water front improvements,

received representations from the Board

of Trade, Canadian Manufacturers' Association and Guild of Civic Art, early

in Dec, relating to the proposed alteration

in the control of the Toronto water

front. It had previously been proposed

to apply to Parliament to recognize the

present commission, to enlarge its powers,

and to place the whole of the water

front under its control. After discussing

the matter, the committee agreed

to report to the council, that the proposed

commission should consist of

three members, appointed by the city

council, and that the taxpayers be asked

to vote, Jan. 1, whether they approved

the scheme, or not.

The Inland Lines steamboat Dunelm,

with a cargo of grain consigned to J.

Richardson and Son, Kingston, went

ashore at Isle Royale, Dec. 7, and, on

account of the exposed position, and the

state of the weather, all attempts to

save either the cargo or the vessel have

been given up, and she was abandoned

to the underwriters, Dec. 14. She was

built in Sunderland, Eng., in 1907, and

was a screw driven vessel, with engine

of 230 n.h.p. Her dimensions were,

length 250 ft.., breadth 43.2 ft., depth

23.5 ft.; tonnage, 2,319 gross, 1,481 register.

She was one of the vessels formerly

owned by R. O. and A. B. Mackay,

Hamilton, who formed the Inland

Navigation Co.. which was absorbed last

year by the Inland Lines, Ltd., controlled

by Jas. Playfair, Midland She was

later in the month floated and taken to

Port Arthur, for examination.

The new U.S. Lock at Sault Ste. Marie

is progressing, and it is expected that

the excavation for the lock pit will be

completed early this year. The contract

for the concrete will be let during the

winter and work on this will be

commenced in the spring. The MacArthur Bros. Co. has the contract for

the western section of the approach

canal and John Marsch is the contractor

for the lock excavation. The work Is

under the direction of Col. C. McD.

Townsend, U.S. Engineers, and L. C.

Sabin is Assistant Engineer. This new

lock (known as the Davis lock) will be

1,350 ft. long between the gates, 80 ft.

wide and 24% ft. deep below the level

of extreme low water. It will be parallel

with and adjacent to the two existing

locks: the Weltzel lock (1881), 515 by

80 ft., with a depth of 16 ft., and the

Poe lock. (1895), 800 by 100 ft., with a

depth of 21 ft.

At a recent meeting of the Dominion

Marine Association, a protest was made

against the closing of the Ottawa end

of the Rideau Canal, and a deputation

was appointed to interview the Government

on the matter. Aids to navigation

were recommended, as follows: a light

at the end of Indian Island: lighting and

improvement of the Murray canal, improvement

of the channel at Saltpoint,

and it was decided to protest against

the removal of the light from the False

Ducks. Opposition will also be made

to the application of the Canadian Light

& Power Co.. to take water from Coteau

and Cedar Rapids. The Association also

derided to ask the Department of Railways

and Canals to provide special men

to take lines from vessels entering the

St. Lawrence canals, in order to prevent

accidents to vessels and crews, and the

Department of Marine will be asked to

erect range lights near Baker's Point to

improve the channel to Kingston Harbor.

Consideration was also given to

the question of improvements required

at the entrance to the Soulanges canal

at Coteau.

The contract for the construction of a

steamboat for the Richelieu and Ontario

Navigation Co.'s Saguenay line, has

been placed in Glasgow, Scotland, by C.

J. Smith, General Manager, who has recently

returned from Great Britain. She

will be a twin screw vessel with four

cylinder triple expansion engines, supplied

with steam by Scotch boilers,

equipped with forced draught, and

capable of steaming at 15 3/4 knots an

hour. Her dimensions will be as follows,

length over all from forward side

of stem to after side of wale at main

deck, 2 82% ft.; length over stem and

stern posts at main deck, 275 ft.; beam

molded on frame, subject to change. 40

ft.; breadth of beam extreme over wales,

57ft. 10 ins.; breadth of beam at 10 ft.

waterline, 39 ft.: depth of hull molded,

at main deck. 15 ft. 10 ins The dining

room will be situated on the main deck,

aft. with seating capacity for 100. The

staterooms will all be arranged as outside

rooms, with running water in each,

as in the Company's steamboats Rochester

and Rapids Prince. There will be

12 parlor rooms with baths attached.

The interior finish of the entrance hall

will be panelled mahogany, the dining

room, panelled in mahogany. oak or

white enamel, cabins on promenade and

gallery decks, in white pin° or cypress

and decoratively painted, cabins on hurricane

deck, panelled in quartered oak,

toilet rooms and bar room in hardwood,

and the pilot house in quartered oak,

while the floors will be laid with interlocking

rubber tiling. The contract calls

for the vessel to he delivered in Quebec

by June.

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Original:
Jan. 1911
Language of Item:
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

Ontario and the Great Lakes