The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
Ontario and the Great Lakes
Publication:
The Railway and Marine World (Toronto, ON), April 1911, p. 377


Description
Full Text

In the House of Commons, Mar. 13, an

attempt to raise a discussion as to the advisability

of commencing the construction

of the proposed Georgian Bay Canal

forthwith, was ruled out of order.

The Montreal Board of Trade. Mar. 15,

decided to request the Minister of Marine

to order that the St. Lawrence canals,

from Montreal to the west, be opened not

later than Apr. 25.

A deputation, representing the city

council of Toronto, waited on the Minister

of Marine, recently, and obtained a

promise that the Gibraltar Point lighthouse

would not be discontinued, as bad

been proposed.

H. Holgate. M. Can. Soc. C.E., spoke

before the Canadian Club. Montreal,

Mar. 6, on some facts regarding the Upper

St. Lawrence, and dealt, at some

length, with the international aspect of

the proposed Longue Sault dam.

It is reported that the work of widening

the Livingstone channel in the lower

Detroit River, Is to be proceeded with

at once and carried on to completion,

the necessary authority having been received

by Col. McD. Townsend, the U.S.

Engineer in charge of the work.

The disused lighthouse at the south

end of the International bridge at Sault

Ste. Marie, was burned, Mar. 13. by order

of the U.S. Lighthouse Department, it

having been rendered useless, and it being

found cheaper to destroy it in this

way than to remove it otherwise.

A resolution was introduced into the

U.S. House of Representatives, Mar. 3,

authorizing the President to investigate,

as in his discretion may seem best, the

advisability of entering into a treaty

with Canada, providing for a deep waterway

between the Great Lakes and the

Atlantic, by way of the St. Lawrence

River.

A press report from New Liskeard

states that a company is being organized

to acquire the steamboat Aileen, formerly

operating on the Montreal River, and

to run her in the passenger and freight

traffic, between White River, North

Timiskaming. Gigue and New Liskeard.

The Aileen is stated to be 80ft. long,

with 12 1/2 ft. beam.

In addition to the companies mentioned

in our March issue, pg. 267, the following

have Joined the Canadian Lake

Protective Association; Algoma Central

and Hudson Bay Ry. Co., Forwarders.

Ltd.. International Steamship

Co.. Jaques Transportation Co., Montreal,

and Great Lakes S. S. Co., Montreal,

and Lake Erie S. S. Co., Western

Navigation Co.

In connection with recent press reports

to the effect that the Northern Navigation

Co., intended to equip Its vessels

with wireless telegraph apparatus this

year, we are officially advised that as

there are no receiving stations on the

Canadian side of the lakes, it would be

useless to so equip the vessels at present.

The Buffalo, Lockport and Rochester

Ry. will operate a steel steamboat this

season, between Olcott Beach. N.T.. and

Toronto, in conjunction with its electric

railway having a connection with Buffalo.

Lockport and Syracuse. The vessel

to be utilized has a carrying capacity

for 700 passengers, and formerly plied

on Lake Erie between Cleveland. Ohio

and Port Stanley.

The Minister of Railways and Canals,

in the House of Commons, Mar. 10.

speaking on the Welland canal, stated

that the total cost to the present was

$28,338,616. He also stated that during

the session he intended to explain a definite

proposal to widen and deepen the

river, and said that he desired to do all

he could to aid the proposed Welland

and Georgian Bay canal schemes.

An order in council has been passed,

changing the limits of the ferry across

the Rainy River, between Ontario and

Minnesota, so that they shall be co-terminous

with the town of Fort Frances,

and the land adjacent on the north bank

of the river between the west boundary

of the town and Pither's Point, where

the rivers join the lake, and such points

on the Minnesota side as may be arranged

by competent authority there.

The Dominion Public Works Department

is considering the question of inviting

tenders for the construction of a

dock at New Liskeard. Preliminary

work in connection with the proposal

has been carried out and estimates made.

The matter of acquiring the Temiskaming

Navigation Co.'s dock there, to incorporate

with the new work is being

considered, if it can be obtained at a

reasonable figure, but if not the new

dock will be built immediately to the

south of it.

The Grant Cartage and Forwarding

Co., Ltd., has been incorporated under

the Ontario Companies Act, with a capital

of $40,000 and office at Hamilton, to

carry on a general business of warehousing,

wharfinger, transportation and forwarding

company, and act as ocean and

inland carriers; to acquire similar companies,

and to build, own and operate

steam and other vessels, wharves, docks,

and other transportation facilities. The

provisional directors are. R. S. Rider, W.

J. Shaw, P. Grant. C. K. Armstrong and

C. Morin, Hamilton.

A deputation of Owen Sound citizens

waited on the Ontario Government, Mar.

21, in support of a bill before the Legislature

to empower the city to take $50,000 of stock in the company which proposes

to build a dry dock and ship building

plant at Owen Sound. The proposals

include a dry dock 600 ft. long. 20 ft.

deep, and sufficiently wide to accommodate

lake vessels of the broadest beam;

and the shipbuilding yards will have

ways for three 600 ft. vessels, one of 400

ft., and two of 200 ft. An application has

already been made to the Dominion Government

for a 3% subsidy, under the act

granting aid to dry docks.

At the annual meeting of the Temiskamlng

Navigation Co.. at Haileybury.

Mar. 9, a dividend of 5 per cent, was declared,

making the third dividend paid.

In 1908 and 1909 dividends of 10% were

paid, but owing to an accident to one of

the company's vessels last year the profits

were considerably reduced. The steamboat

Temiskaming is being partially remodelled

and some additional cabins

are being placed on the upper deck.

The steamboat City of Haileybury is

having another deck added and the

other vessels are being thoroughlv overhauled.

Following are the officers and

directors for the current year: President.

G. H. Rochester: Vice President. M. J.

Malone: other directors, S McChestney.

A. Ferland. J. M. Wood, and A. E. Way.


Media Type:
Text
Newspaper
Item Type:
Clippings
Date of Original:
April 1911
Language of Item:
English
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Contact
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
Email
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit




My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.










Ontario and the Great Lakes