The Dominion Parliament amended
the company's act of incorporation recently
by giving the shareholders power
to increase the capital stock to an
amount not exceeding $10,000,000. At
a special meeting of shareholders on
June 26 it was decided to increase the
stock from $5,000,000 to $10,000,000, the
new shares to be issued as decided by
the directors. It was also decided to
confirm the agreement made by the
directors with the British Maritime Trust
Co., Ltd., and others, providing for the
purchase of a majority of the shares
of the Northern Navigation Co., Ltd.,
and of the Inland Lines, Ltd., to be paid
for by the issue of fully paid up R. &
O.N. stock. Five additional directors
were elected, the full board being: Hon.
President, Lord Furness, of Grantley;
President, R. Forget, M.P. ; Vice President,
W. Wainwright, Second Vice President,
G.T.R.; G. Caverhill, Sir Henry M.
Pellatt, E. Bristol, K.C., M.P.; W. Hanson,
Jas. Playfair, C. O. Paradis, Hon. J.
P. B. Casgrain, Hon. E. B. Garneau, H.
M. Molson, C. A. Barnard, K.C.; A. H.
Sims, J. R. Binning and W. G. Morden.
The head office will remain at Montreal,
and C. J. Smith will be retained as General
The Northern Navigation Co. of Ontario,
Ltd., was organized in 1899, with a
capital of $1,000,000, being an amalgamation
of the Great Northern Transit
Co. and the North Shore Navigation Co.,
and later the control of the Northwest
Transportation Co. was obtained. A
year or two ago the words "of Ontario"
were dropped from the title. In the
early part of this year, Jas. Playfair,
President, Inland Lines, Ltd., made an
offer, an behalf of himself and associates,
chiefly the Furness interests, to
purchase a controlling interest in the
stock, and all but a small percentage
of it was so acquired. The company has
an agreement with the G.T.R. respecting
traffic on the Great Lakes, and under
this agreement, it has to build an
additional steamship by the fall of 1912.
Full details of the matters connected
with the transfer of the stock, etc., were
given in our Feb. and Mar. issues.
Inland Lines, Ltd., was incorporated
under the Dominion Companies Act,
May, 1910, with a capital of $3,500,000,
and office at Hamilton, Ont., to take
over the Inland Navigation Co., formerly
operated under the name of R. O. and
A. B. Mackay, together with the New
Ontario Dock and Coal Co.'s wharf and
coal business at Sault Ste. Marie, Ont.;
R. O. and A. B. Mackay's wharf, cartage
and coal business at Hamilton, Ont.,
and their wharf, shed and wharf privileges
at Montreal; the property of the
Midland Navigation Co., Midland, Ont.,
and the property of the Empress Transportation
Co., Midland, Ont.
The R. amd O.N. Co.'s combined fleet
is now composed as follows:— Berthier,
Belleville, Boucherville, Kingston, Longueuil,
Montreal, Murray Bay, Quebec,
Rapids King, Rapids Prince, Rapids
Queen, St. Irenee, Saguenay (now en
route to Canada, from England), Tadousac.
Terrebonne, Trois Rivieres, Toronto,
operated by the R. and O.N. Co.;
Rochester, operated by the Richelieu and
Ontario Navigation Co. of the United
States; City of Midland, Doric, Hamonic.
Huronic, Germanic, Ionic, Majestic,
Waubic, operated by the Northern
Navigation Co.; Donnacona, Dundee,
Dundurn, Emperor, Empress of Fort
William, Empress of Midland, Glenellah,
Midland King, Midland Prince. Midland
Queen, Neepawah, Rosedale, Stadacona,
Strathcona, Wahcondah and Winona,
operated by Inland Lines. Ltd.
Since the foregoing was put in type
the s.s. Saguenay has arrived at Quebec.