The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
Ontario and the Great Lakes
The Railway and Marine World (Toronto, ON), July 1911, p. 695

Full Text

The Department of Public Works has

awarded the contract for dredging in

the River Thames to W. E. Phin, Welland.

The Public Works Department, will

issue tenders to July 5 for the construction

of a breakwater at Bare Point,

Port Arthur.

The steamboat City of New York,

owned in Cobourg, is reported to have

been sold to Toronto parties for use in

the sand trade.

The contract for dredging from the

eastern channel into Ashbridge's Bay,

Toronto, has been awarded to R. Weddell

and Co., Trenton.

The Ontario and Quebec Navigation

Co., Ltd., has been licensed to carry on

its business in Ontario with B. H. Hepburn,

Picton, as its attorney.

The Dundas board of works received

tenders, June 25, for the dredging of

the Desjardins canal, involving the removal

of 27,500 cub. yds. of material,

the work to be completed by Sept 1.

The Inland Lines steamboat Dunelm

which ran ashore towards the close of

navigation last year, has been completely

repaired and overhauled at Port Arthur,

and left the dry dock June 8.

The Buffalo, Lockport and Rochester

Ry.'s steamboat Olcott arrived at Toronto

for the first time, June 3. She is

making two trips daily between Toronto

and Olcott Beach, connecting with the

company's lines to Rochester and Buffalo,


M. J. Haney has applied to the Toronto

city council for an extension of

his lease from 21 years from Oct. 1,

1908, of the waterfront property between

Jarvis and West Market Sts., at

an annual rental of $667.20. He proposes

to add to the wharf, at a cost of


The annual meeting of the Thousand

Islands Steamboat Co. was held at Cape

Vincent, N.Y.. June 6. R. Crawford,

President, was appointed also General

Manager in place of W. J. Douglas,

[p. 697]

resigned, and the other officers were reelected.

W. J. Douglas, heretofore General

Manager, Thousand Islands Steamboat

Co., and St. Lawrence River Steamboat

Co., Kingston, is reported to have been

appointed General Freight Agent, Southern

Pacific Co.'s Steamship Department

at Seattle, Wash.

The Trotter Wrecking Co., Amherstburg,

has been awarded $7,500 for salving

the Superior Charcoal Iron Co.'s

steamboat Chauncey Hurlbut, after

grounding near Amherstburg in 1906.

The matter has been before the courts

for some time.

The Public Works Department is reported

to have purchased the lower end

of Victoria Island, in the Ottawa River

for the construction of a shipyard for

building barges, tugs, etc., for its business

on the Ottawa and St. Lawrence

Rivers and the Great Lakes.

The Niagara, St. Catharines and Toronto

Navigation Co.'s steamboat Lakeside

has been sold to M. J. Hogan, contractor.

Port Colborne. The price paid

is said to be $10,000. She will be used

for conveying supplies in connection

with various lake improvement contracts.

The Montreal Transportation Co.'s

steamboat George Davy struck on the

lighthouse shoal near Clayton, N.Y.,

June 13, and sank in 50 ft. of water.

The cargo of 50,000 bush, of grain has

been pumped out, and the vessel is to

be raised. Divers reported that several

plates were pierced.

The Public Works Department has

commenced surveys in reference to the

proposed power development plants at

Cedar Rapids and other points on the

St. Lawrence. Data are to be collected

and a commission appointed to report

on the effect such plants will have on

navigation generally.

The Toronto board of control had under

consideration, June 7, the formation

of a new Harbor Commission under the

recent legislation. A number of names

were submitted, but as it was stated

that no work to improve the harbor

could be undertaken this year, the whole

matter was deferred.

Surveys are under way providing for a

route for the proposed new Welland

canal. It is proposed to deepen the waterway

from Port Colborne to the height

of land and then run west to the present

canal along the ravine and through St.

Catharines to Port Dalhousie. Plans and

estimates are expected to be ready in the


The Cornwall and Montreal Navigation

Co.'s steamboat Filgate was destroyed

by fire recently at Valleyfield,

Que. She was built in 1879, and was

originally used by the C.P.R. as a ferry

between Caughnawaga and Lachine, and

was later used between Montreal and St.

Helen's Island. She was valued at

about $25,000. and was insured for


The Rainy River Navigation Co.'s

steamboats Keenora and Agwinde commenced

operations for the season between

Kenora and Fort Frances June

17. The running of these vessels has

been considerably interfered with during

the past two years owing to low water

at the mouth of the Rainy River, but

a large amount of dredging has been

carried out there recently.

The Lake Carriers' Association announced

the opening of a new channel

to relieve congestion in the main channel

of the Detroit River during dredging.

Masters of vessels are instructed

not to exceed a draught of 15.5 ft. either

up or down, over Ballard's reef, and to

take the new channel, which is 200 ft.

wide, east of the main channel, and

marked by five spar buoys.

Muir Bros'. Dry Dock Co., Ltd., has

been incorporated under the Ontario

Companies Act, with a capital of $90,000, and office at Port Dalhousie, to carry

on the business of building, owning

and operating dry docks and vessels of

all descriptions. The incorporators are

W. C. and J. F. Muir, Port Dalhousie;

G. P. Muir, Gleichen, Alta.; R. M. Muir,

Detroit, Mich.; A. B. Muir, New York

City, and H. D. O. Kingstone, Montreal.

The Northern Steamship Co.'s s.s.

North West, which runs between Buffalo,

Chicago and Duluth, in conjunction

with the s.s. North Land, was heavily

damaged by fire while moored at her

dock in Buffalo, N.Y., June 3. She was

being overhauled for the season's business.

Reports state that the interior

was destroyed, leaving only the steel

hull, and that the damage amounts to

about $500,000.

The Department of Railways and

Canals has awarded the contract for

improving the Port Colborne entrance to

the Welland canal to M. J. Hogan, Port

Colborne. The work consists of widening

the 22 ft. channel into the inner

harbor, and the lengthening of the mooring

dock west of the Government elevator.

The widening of the channel

consists entirely of rock excavation. The

material taken out will be used to widen

the piling at the rear of the west pier.

The U.S. Lake Survey reports the

levels of the Great Lakes, in feet above

tidewater, for May, as follows'— Superior,

600.90; Michigan and Huron,

579.70; Erie, 571.87; Ontario, 245.60. As

compared with the average May levels

for the past 10 years, Superior was 1.34

ft., below; Michigan and Huron, 1.16 ft.

below; Erie. 0.76 ft. below, and Ontario,

1.13 ft. below. During June it was anticipated

that Superior would rise 0.3

ft., Michigan, Huron and Erie 0.2 ft.,

and Ontario 0.1 ft.

The Ontario and Quebec Navigation

Co.'s steamboat Geronia was launched at

Collingwood June 7. She is of the following

dimensions: length. 219 1/2 ft.;

breadth, 42 ft.; depth, 11 1/2 ft., and is

of steel throughout, sheathed with rock

elm at the bottom. The hull is divided

into six watertight compartments. The

staterooms are all outside rooms, and

the dining salon has seating capacity for

120. The machinery, which is located

amidships, consists of quadruple expansion

engines, supplied with steam by

two Scotch marine boilers at 250 lbs.

pressure, driving a screw.

The Dalhousie Navigation Co.. Ltd.,

the incorporation of which we announced

in our last issue, was formed for the

purpose of owning the steamboat Dalhousie

City, which will be operated under

lease by the Niagara, St. Catharines

and Toronto Navigation Co. The

companies mentioned are controlled by

Mackenzie, Mann and Co., Ltd., Toronto.

The steamboat Dalhousie City, a detailed

description of which was given in

our last issue, was launched at Collingwood,

June 24, the christening ceremony

being performed by Miss Mary Hanna,

daughter of D. B. Hanna, Third Vice

President, C.N.R., and President, Niagara,

St. Catharines and Toronto Navigation


Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Original:
July 1911
Language of Item:
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

Ontario and the Great Lakes