The Richelieu and Ontario Navigation
Co. has declared a quarterly dividend at
the rate of 8% per annum, an increase
The Toronto Harbor Commissioners
have decided that the harbor must be
made deep enough for vessels drawing
The Hamilton city council is applying to
Parliament for the appointment of a
harbor commission to manage the waters of
The Northern Navigation Co. is considering
the question of lengthening its
steamboat Huronic during the winter by 50
ft., and increasing the engine power.
The Department of Public Works has
awarded the contract for the construction
of a breakwater at Wheatley, at a
of about $28,000. to W. Bermingham.
Negotiations are in progress for the
formation of a joint harbor commission
for the control of the harbors and
water front properties of Fort William
and Port Arthur.
Capt. Jas McMaugh, who retired
from the Toronto Ferry Co.'s service a
short time ago and who had been connected
with the navigation of the Great
Lakes for several years, died in California,
The Northern Navigation Co. announced
that the report that
the s.s. Hamonic left Sarnia, Nov. 12,
on her last trip of the season, is in error.
She will run until Dec. 6. with the
company's other vessels.
The Prescott and Ogdensburg Ferry
Co.'s steamboat City of Belleville, which
drifted on the rocks at Big Island recently
through the breaking of the rudder
chains, was taken to Ogdensburg,
where repairs to her hull were undertaken.
The Peterborough and Lake Simcoe
Navigation Co.'s fleet, consisting of the
steamboats Otonabee, Manita, Monarch
and Water Lily, and four barges with
the wharf and storehouse at Ashburnham.
is offered for sale by tender in
one or more lots.
Press reports from Collingwood state
that the Western Steamship Co. will
have its steamboat J. A. McKee lengthened
during the winter. We are, however
officially advised that though it has
been under consideration, it is not intended
to do it this winter.
The Western Navigation Co.'s steamboat
Kaministiquia is to be lengthened
at Port Arthur by 76 ft. during the winter.
She was formerly known as Imperial,
and was built at Toronto in 1886,
and rebuilt and renamed at Port Arthur
in 1906. She is now 109 ft. long.
Press reports from London, Ont., state
that a proposal is being considered to
dredge the River Thames from Chatham
to London, to enable steamboats to come
up to the city. It is estimated that in
addition to dredging, the installation of
four locks between Chatham and London
would be all that is necessary.
Press reports from Montreal, Nov. 11,
stated that negotiations had been reopened
between the Richelieu and Ontario
Navigation Co., and shareholders
of the Niagara Navigation Co., with the
view of merging the two interests, and
that Sir Henry Pellatt was conducting
the negotiations for the R. & O. N. Co.
Sir Henry has denied this.
The Ministers of Railways and Canals
is reported to have stated, Nov. 7, that
he would not be able to inspect the proposed
route of the new Welland canal,
until after the first session of Parliament,
after which inspection the Government
would consider the question of
going ahead. It was probable that a
year or more would elapse before anything
definite was settled.
The Ontario and Ohio Navigation Co.,
a subsidiary of the London and Lake
Erie Ry. and Transportation Co., is reported
to have plans prepared for a second
steamboat to ply between Port Stanley
and Cleveland. S. W. Mower, General
Manager, is reported to have stated
recently, that though the plans were
ready, nothing definite about ordering a
new vessel had been done.
The Dominion Government has awarded
a contract to Pratt and Hambly, Midland,
Ont., for the construction and
equipment of a wireless telegraph station at Sault Ste. Marie, Ont. A site is
said to have been obtained at Pim Hill,
about half a mile north of the old wireless
station. Work is said to have been
commenced, and it is expected to be
completed by Mar. 1. 1912.
The steamboat John Sharpies, which
ran ashore on the Gallop Islands in Dec.,
1910, and which has been lying at Garden
Island since it was released in the
following spring will, press reports say,
be taken to Cleveland or Buffalo, where
it is considered there is better opportunity
for its sale. The underwriters
who have had the sale in hand for some
time, are reported to have refused
The steamboat Forest B. while running
between Kenora and Rainy River,
struck a rock to the south of the Little
Traverse in the Lake of the Woods, Nov.
8, and foundered. She was built at
Rainy River in 1895, and re-built there
in 1910, and was formerly named Brandon
and Edna Bridges. She is screw
driven with engine of 4 n.h.p., and is
75 ft. long, 17 ft. broad, 6 ft. deep, 88
tons, gross, 60 register.
The U.S. Lake Survey reports the levels
of the Great Lakes in feet above tidewater,
for October, as follows: Superior,
602.23: Michigan and Huron. 579.60;
Erie, 571.53: Ontario. 244.62. As compared
with the average October levels
for the past ten years, Superior was
0.64 ft. below: Michigan and Huron 1.14
ft. below; Erie, 0.62 ft. below, and Ontario,
1.25 ft. below. It was anticipated
that during November Superior would
fall 0.2 ft. and the other levels 9.3 ft.
Polson Dry Dock and Shipbuilding Co.,
Ltd., has been incorporated under the
Dominion Companies Act, with a capital
of $1,000,000 and office at Toronto, to
carry on the business of engineers,
dredgers, contractors, shipowners and
shippers, carriers by land and water,
etc., to build, own and operate all kinds
of vessels and dredging equipment,
wharves, docks, dry docks, harbors,
breakwaters, etc., and in connection
therewith to build and operate tramways,
terminals and railway sidings on
its own lands.
The Canadian Lake and Ocean Navigation
Co.'s s.s. Turret Cape, operated by
the Merchants Mutual Line, Toronto,
was reported hard ashore on the Middle
Bank, near Cove Island, Lake Huron,
Nov. 20. She left Point Edward on the
previous day, light, for Port Arthur, and
was caught in a storm. It is feared she
is a total loss. She was built at Sunderland.
Eng., in 1895, and was screw driven,
with engine of 250 n.h.p. Her dimensions
were, length 253 ft., breadth
44 ft., depth 19.4 ft.: tonnage, 1,827
gross, 1,142 register, and she is registered
in England. It has since been reported
that she has been abandoned to
The late freighter Toiler, of which we
have given a description previously, and
the engines of which are described and
illustrated on another page, is being operated
by C. I. de Sola, Montreal, for the
builders. She brought, from England,
a cargo of pig iron for Halifax, and
scoria blocks for Montreal, and after
unloading, proceeded to Port Colborne,
light, there taking on a cargo of 94.000
bush, of grain, the largest single cargo
to pass through the Welland canal, for
Montreal. Her next trip was from Montreal
to Charlotte, N.Y., light, where she
loaded coal for Montreal, afterwards
proceeding to Kingston, where she Is
berthed for the winter.