About 10 o'clock Sunday morning the large three masted schooner "Sam Cook," cleared from this port for Ashtabula with a cargo of iron ore. A strong breeze was blowing from the North and she sailed up the river finely. Upon reaching the head of the Narrows the breeze dropped completely and, fearing she would drift on the shoals, the captain threw out one of the anchors.
It failed to stick on the rocky bottom however and in a few moments the vessel drifted to the reef just at the head of the Narrows. She went on broadside but the current soon swung her off again only to place her in more peril. She finally drifted down the stream until she went bow on to the shoal between Black Charlies and Picnic Islands, where she filled and sank, being deserted by the crew about 4 1/2 hours after first sinking.
The "Sam Cook" was built at Oswego by George Goble in 1873, and was registered as from Morristown, N.Y. She was owned jointly by a man named Griffin, of Potsdam, and her present commander, Captain McKee, of Clayton. Griffin, owning two thirds and Captain McKee the one third. She was a fine boat in every particular. The vessel has about 90 feet of water under her stern and is hard on at the bow, but can be likely raise. She was fully insured but whether the same protection is afforded her cargo is not known. The ore was consigned to Withersbee, Sherman & Co. of Ashtabula.