Division 5. From Pointe an Moulin to Lake St. Louis, comprising the Split Rock & Cascades Rapids.
- Matthews, G., Lithographer
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Map 5 from "Maps, Reports, Estimates, &c., Relative to Improvements of the Navigation of the River St. Lawrence; and a Proposed Canal Connecting the River St. Lawrence and Lake Champlain"
- Survey of the Rapids of the River St. Lawrence between Prescott and Lake St. Louis made under the Instructions of the Commissioners of Public Works by Messrs Maillefert and Raasloff, Submarine Engrs in 1853.
Division 5.From Pointe an Moulin to Lake St. Louis, comprising the Split Rock & Cascades Rapids.
G. Matthews Litho. Montreal
Soundings are marked in tenths of feet and have been reduced to ordinary summer low water as determined by the Bench Mark on Pig Island, Coteau Rapids, first established by James Stewart
Soundings were taken with poles of different lengths, a cross over the figure (as 16) signifies that with a pole of the corresponding length (as 16) no bottom was found.
The Brown tint indicates shoals covered with less than thirteen feet water and the light red tint indicates obstructions which might have to be removed out of the channel to make it two hundred feet wide, and deep enough for vessels drawing ten feet.
The line dotted (thus ..... ) indicates the different channels which have been surveyed, and to which reference is made in the report.
The outlines of the Islands and Shores have been only sketched.
- Date of Publication:
- Map Scale:
- 9 chains = 1 inch
- Language of Item:
- Marine Museum of the Great Lakes at Kingston
- Creative Commons licence:
- [more details]
- Copyright Statement:
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
- Recommended Citation:
- Maps, Reports, Estimates, &c., Relative to Improvements of the Navigation of the River St. Lawrence; and a Proposed Canal Connecting the River St. Lawrence and Lake Champlain: Laid before the Legislative Assembly during the 2nd Session, 5th Parliament, 1856, Map 5, Survey of a portion of the River St. Lawrence between Pointe an Moulin and Lake St. Louis, including the Cascades Rapids.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes