Detroit Free Press (Detroit, MI), May 7, 1891
- Full Text
The three government lightships which are building at Toledo are to be 100 feet in length over all, with 92 feet keel, 20 feet beam, and 14 feet depth. There will be four spars on each, two for lights and two for sails. The only houses on deck are lamp houses at the foot of each signal mast. They will be launched about the middle of August and placed at their locations on Simmons Reef, Gray's Reef and White Shoal about September 1.
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- All three locations are in northeastern Lake Michigan, inside of the Beaver Islands. These were wooden lightships numbered LV55, 56 and 57, built at Craig shipbuilding. These were the first U.S. lightships with their own engines for propulsion. For more, see:
- Date of Original:
- May 7, 1891
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- Dave Swayze
- Copyright Statement:
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes