Detroit Free Press (Detroit, MI), May 13, 1891
- Full Text
LIGHTS IN THE ST. MARY'S RIVER.
Col. Ludlow, chief engineer of construction of the ninth and eleventh lighthouse districts, will leave on the 20th or 25th inst. on the tug Datlin for Devil's Island, one of the Apostle Islands, Lake Superior, for the purpose of establishing a lighthouse there.
He will first build a brick quarters for the lightkeepers and a temporary woode tower for the light, which for the present will be a fixed red of the fourth order. Ultimately the light will be made a red and white flash, third order, and the tower constructed of brick. Col. Ludlow expects also to establish lighthouses this season at Two Harbors, Mining Seul Choix and Squaw Island in Lake Michigan, and Mackinaw points.
But the greater part of his time and attention this year will be given to the establishing of lights and ranges in the Sault river, mention of which has already been made. The territiory covered by these lights will extend from Pipe Island to Sault Ste. Marie, a distance of sixty miles. Thirty-seven lights will be placed, consisting mostly of tubular lanterns on top of posts, after the manner of those placed in the St. Clair River last season.
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Date of Original:
- May 13, 1891
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- Dave Swayze
- Copyright Statement:
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes