There will be meetings of the Society on Friday, February 6th, and Friday, March 6th, at the Marine Museum.
The February meeting will feature Capt. A. Scott who will speak about his schooner, HARRY W. ADAMS.
Although of necessity, much of the work on SCANNER must be done by the Editor, we should like to thank Fred Sankoff, Jim Kidd, John H. Bascom, John Vournakis, Paul Sherlock, Jack Heintz, Capt. John Leonard and Dave Glick for assisting in supplying material for some of our recent issues. All contributions are appreciated.
Daniel D. Noonan
We regret to announce that our fellow-member, Daniel D. Noonan, passed away recently at Hotel Dieu Hospital, St. Catharines, after a short illness. Mr. Noonan was with the Foreign Freight Department of Canada Steamship Lines for some thirty years before joining the Toronto office of Federal Commerce & Navigation Co., Ltd., as manager. When Federal Commerce closed their Toronto office, Mr. Noonan became a special representative of Shipping Ltd., Toronto, specializing in tanker fixtures. Mr. Noonan came from a shipping family, his father having been chief engineer on the Hamilton Steamboat Co.'s MODJESKA.
The 1969 ore shipping season has finally come to a close. Six ships of the U.S. Steel fleet maintained operation well into January but all are now in winter quarters. ENDERS M. VOORHEES laid up at Milwaukee on January 9th while the A.H. FERBERT and ARTHUR M. ANDERSON arrived at the same port on January 12th. Along with CASON J. CALLAWAY which laid up on January 13th, these ships had delivered ore cargoes to the ports of lower Lake Michigan. The last two ships of the fleet in operation, IRVING S. OLDS and PHILIP R. CLARKE, managed to fight through the ice in the St. Clair River and arrived at Lorain, Ohio, on January 14th. They will spend the winter there.
The small steel carrier YANKCANUCK of Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, has been in the news frequently lately as a result of her numerous battles with St. Clair River ice which has been measured at up to 50 inches in depth. With the help of the U.S. Coast Guard, she managed to make two round trips between the Soo and Windsor in January but finally had to give up and went to winter quarters in the lower harbour at the Soo, arriving there on January l4th.
Labrador Steamship Co. Ltd., which operates the maximum-sized ships V. W. SCULLY and A. S. GLOSSBRENNER, has now opened its own office in Montreal. Labrador is a Canadian subsidiary of Pickands Mather & Co.
The Kinsman Marine Transit Co., Cleveland, has let it be known that its carriers KINSMAN VENTURE (1906) and LACKAWANNA (1908), have been retired from service. The latter ship is suffering from boiler problems and we understand that some of her equipment has been placed aboard the WILLIAM J. OLCOTT, a former U.S. Steel carrier which has laid idle at Milwaukee for the past ten years and which was purchased by Kinsman recently. The OLCOTT is now at South Chicago for a major refit prior to entering service.
Ill fortune continues to plague the veteran carferry GRAND HAVEN. She was moved around to the scrapping berth at the United Steel & Refining Co.'s dock at Hamilton late in December and demolition had commenced when the vessel was gutted by fire on January 12th. The spectacular fire rather conveniently removed unwanted cabins and woodwork from the ship and city firefighters fought for two hours to extinguish the blaze.
Shell Canada Ltd. has decided to rename all but one of the ships in its fleet prior to the opening of the 1970 navigation season, and with the change will go the last reminders of the Canadian Oil Co.'s operations. W. HAROLD REA will become EASTERN SHELL (II), WHITE ROSE will sail as FUEL MARKETER (II) and the present FUEL MARKETER will start the year as RIVERSHELL (III). We hope the latter vessel will not suffer the same fate as the last ship of that name.
The Hon. Robert J. Corbett (R) has introduced into the U.S. House of Representatives legislation which would extend the life of the DELTA QUEEN as a cruise ship until November 1st, 1972. The QUEEN is presently operating under legislation which would force her retirement as of November 1st, 1970. Perhaps the new owners of the Greene Line are having second thoughts on the cost of building a replacement for the aging QUEEN.
Two lakers wintering in Hamilton harbour have suffered minor fires recently. On January 17th, the Reoch self-unloader, LEADALE, was undergoing some repair work when a welding torch ignited an accumulation of coal dust. Three days later, the wooden casing around freshwater tanks on the JOHN E. F. MISENER ignited and firemen, summoned by a resident of a local high-rise apartment house, soon extinguished the blaze.
The Canadian Pacific organization seems to be continuing what appears to be a drive towards eliminating passenger services from its rail and water routes. It has been announced that several bids have been received on the 1957-built EMPRESS OF ENGLAND and that C.P. is negotiating her sale. She will be withdrawn after an Easter cruise to Spain and her sale will leave only one deep-sea passenger liner under C. P. operation, the 27,284 ton EMPRESS OF CANADA.
The Reoch self-unloader NORDALE is being converted from coal to oil fuel at Toronto. Judging from the huge clouds of inky smoke she has been producing the past few years, the conversion will be a great improvement.
FEDERAL COMMERCE - ANOTHER FIRST. When the M. V. GIANNIS N, a large bulk carrier of Greek registry, arrived in Montreal on January 26th, it marked the first time a ship of her size has come into the Port of Montreal during the winter. She is on long term charter to Federal Commerce, and arrived from Newport, Wales, with 1400 British vehicles on board. After unloading at Montreal, she will return to Newport with a cargo of iron ore, which it will load at Seven Islands, as part of Federal Commerce's contract with the British Steel Corporation.
Built as M. V. PENTAS - change of name by owners in 1969 to GIANNIS N. 21,374 tons gross, 33,000 tons DWT. 671' L.O. 89' breadth. Blt. 1965, Mitsui, Chiba, for Pentas Shipping, Piraeus.
Upper Lakes Shipping Ltd
Our Society is especially concerned with any events involving Canadian vessel operations and many of us have been observing the recent activities of Upper Lakes Shipping, wondering what the outcome of takeover negotiations would hold for this Toronto firm. Our thanks to our Treasurer, Jim Kidd, for obtaining the following details.
Of considerable interest to ship fans was the frenzied trading of shares of Maple Leaf Milling Ltd., which took place on the Toronto Stock Exchange and even saw trading suspended for two hours on December 19, 1969.
On December 17th, Neonex International Ltd., a Vancouver-based conglomerate, announced that it had made a deal with Bruce A. Norris of Chicago for cash and stock transfer to purchase Norris Grain Ltd. of Winnipeg. Norris may be better known as owner of the Detroit Red Wings hockey club. Norris Grain Ltd. held a 38% interest in Maple Leaf Mills Ltd. of Toronto and a 66% interest in Upper Lakes Shipping Ltd. Upper Lakes in turn owned 28% of Maple Leaf Mills.
Then on December 20th, Molson Industries of Montreal made a bid to acquire control of Maple Leaf Mills and this bid had the support of J.D. Leitch who was President of Upper Lakes and Chairman of the Board of Maple Leaf Mills. Molson announced an offer through the Toronto Stock Exchange to purchase shares on the open market in hopes of acquiring 51% However, the bid became impossible when Neonex was able to get a further 10% of Maple Leaf shares for cash in a separate deal with Bruce Norris. Neonex had, by this time, a total of 53% of the shares of Maple Leaf Mills.
Jack Leitch then reluctantly made a deal with Neonex for his 13% interest in Maple Leaf in exchange for the 66% of Upper Lakes held by Neonex. Leitch previously had a 34% control of Upper Lakes and now has 100%, this being the important thing to ship lovers.
Upper Lakes retains Port Weller Drydocks Ltd. and two grain elevators at Goderich and Three Rivers. It also controls Collingwood Elevators Ltd. Neonex, through its new subsidiary, Maple Leaf Mills, owns elevators in Toronto and Sarnia as well as the flour mill and elevator at Port Colborne.
United States Steel Corp.
Society member, John Vournakis, who sailed aboard ARTHUR M. ANDERSON, this season , sent along this listing of the lay-up ports of all the U.S.S. Great Lakes Fleet units.
Cleveland: RALPH H. WATSON, WILLIAM A.McGONAGLE
Manitowoc: W. F. WHITE
Sturgeon Bay: ROGERS CITY
Rogers City: T. W. ROBINSON, IRVIN L. CLYMER
Lorain: PHILIP R. CLARKE, BENJAMIN F. FAIRLESS, IRVING S. OLDS, JOHN HULST, WILLIAM A. IRVIN, GOVERNOR MILLER, HORACE JOHNSON, D. M. CLEMSON, JOHN G. MUNSON, GEORGE A. SLOAN
Toledo: THOMAS W. LAMONT, HOMER D. WILLIAMS, AUGUST ZIESING, GEORGE G. CRAWFORD, EUGENE J. BUFFINGTON, MYRON C. TAYLOR, CALCITE II.
Superiors EUGENE P. THOMAS, RICHARD V. LINDABURY, RICHARD TRIMBLE, J. P. MORGAN JR., HENRY H. ROGERS, HENRY PHIPPS
Duluth: SEWELL AVERY, B. F. AFFLECK, JOSHUA A. HATFIELD, D. G. KERR, EUGENE W. PARGNY, WILLIAM J. FILBERT, WILLIAM B. SCHILLER, THOMAS F. COLE, PETER A. B. WIDENER.
Milwaukee: ARTHUR M. ANDERSON, CASON J. CALLAWAY, A. H. FERBERT, LEON FRASER, ENDERS M. VOORHEES, ROBERT C. STANLEY, JAMES A. FARRELL, PERCIVAL ROBERTS JR., WILLIAM P. PALMER, ALVA D. DINKEY, CLIFFORD F. HOOD
In our next issue we will look at some of the layup fleets at local ports.
Ship Of The Month - No. 6 En-Ar-Co
Several issues back, we recorded in our Marine News section the destruction by the wrecker's torch of the salvage barge EN-AR-CO. Our obituary for this vessel did not, however, give any indication of the history of the ship and, in view of the fact that she was one of the oldest hulls on the Great Lakes, we feel that she deserves more recognition than has generally been accorded her.
The story of this lowly lightering barge began back in 1874 when the Delaware River Iron Shipbuilding & Engine Company launched a 189-foot iron hull at their Chester, Pennsylvania, yard. The ceremony took place on April 29, 1874, and was a success probably beyond the builder's wildest hopes, as the hull was to last for ninety-five years. With a beam of 29 feet and a depth of 14.4 feet, the propeller driven collier had a tonnage of 565 gross and 377 net when completed. The two-masted steamer, registered as U.S. 2905, was christened BERKS and entered the coastal service of the Philadelphia and Reading Railway.
In 1906, the IBERKS was purchased by the Canadian Transit Co. Ltd., Toronto, and at this time she made her first appearance on the Lakes. The ship was stripped down for use as a barge and was renamed W. S. CALVERT. In 1909, she was acquired by the National Refining Co. (later to become Canadian Oil Companies Ltd., Toronto), and in 1910 she was transferred to their subsidiary, the Sarnia & Toledo Transit Co. Sometime during their ownership, they converted the W. S. CALVERT to carry oil in bulk and in 1921 she was given the name EN-AR-CO, representing the initials of her owner's corporate name.
The ship was laid up during the late 1920's and remained idle until 1934 when she was sold to John E. Russell, a prominent Toronto shipping figure. She was being refitted at Toronto for the service of Lloyd Tankers Ltd., when, on July 23, 1934, the ship was damaged by a tremendous explosion which was followed by a stubborn fire. The explosion took the life of John Russell who was on deck at the time.
In 1935, EN-AR-CO was sold to Pyke Salvage and Navigation Co., Kingston. She was converted to a coal barge and lighter with a steam whirly crane mounted on deck and her tonnage was shown as 560 gross and 543 net. She put in good service on many occasions for her owners, who later became McAllister-Pyke Salvage Ltd., but her assignments became fewer as the years passed, and she spent much of her time idle at Kingston. We believe that her last job was removing molten rubber and other material from the hull of the Greek salty ORIENT TRADER which burned and sank in Toronto Bay off Ward's Island on July 21st, 1965. After several years of inactivity at Kingston, EN-AR-CO was sold in 1969 to United Steel and Refining Co., Hamilton, and she was dismantled at their yard during the autumn.
At the time of her scrapping, EN-AR-CO was one year older than the Detroit River carferry HURON and was apparently the oldest Canadian lake vessel still operable. The shipbuilders at Chester must have done their job well.
Imperial Oil Limited
A Short Fleet List
by The Editor
IMPEROYAL is inbound as SARNOLITE unloads at the Imperial dock in the Toronto Ship Channel about 1936. J. H. Bascom Photo.This month we feature one of the major Canadian specialty vessel operations, the fleet of Imperial Oil Ltd. of Toronto. Imperial is, of course, a member of the world-wide "ESSO" organization, and a subsidiary of the Standard Oil Company of New Jersey.
ACADIALITE (47), (b) IMPERIAL CORNWALL (154480). 1930 Furness S.B.Co., Ltd., Haverton Hill-on-Tees. 250 x 43.2 x 17,7. Gross 1969, net 1042. In service. Transferred 1969 to Halifax bunkering service.
GLEN ALLAN (130645). 1912 Kingston. 112.8 x 26.4 x 8.5. Gross 276, net 113. Package freighter built for Ottawa River service. Owned by Imperial for a period prior to 1921. Retired 1947. Stripped and used as floating steam plant for Stelco at Hamilton. Owners: l) Ottawa Transportation Co. Ltd., Ottawa. 2) Imperial Oil. 3) Bay of Quinte Transportation Co. Ltd. 4) Steel Co. of Canada Ltd.
IMPERIAL (l) (38), (a) MINOCO (01), (c) IMPOCO (III) (108346). 1898 Willington Quay, G. B. 200 x 32 x 14.4. Gross 796, net 412. Brought to lakes 1902 by Imperial. Transferred to Vest Coast 1922. Scrapped 1939 Victoria, B C. Owners: l) Mineral Oils Corp. Ltd., Hunting & Sons, Mgrs. (1898-1901). 2) Anglo American Oil Co. Ltd., (1901-1910). 3) Imperial Oil (1910-1939).
IMPERIAL (II) (47), (b) IMPERIAL VANCOUVER (171704). 1938 Collingwood Shipyards Ltd. 230 x 39.8 x 18.5. Gross 1512, net 862. Transferred to West Coast early in World War II.
IMPERIAL ACADIA (326037). 1965 Port Weller Drydocks Ltd. 419 x 60 x 31. Gross 7068, net 3908. In service.
The Editor catches IMPERIAL HAMILTON in the Toronto Gap in August 1958.IMPERIAL BEDFORD. 1969 Davie Shipbuilding Ltd., Lauzon, Que. 460 x 70 x 33.3. In service.
IMPERIAL COLLINGWOOD (176114). 1947 Collingwood Shipyards Ltd. 252.1 x 43.5 x 17.7. Gross 2128, net 1407. Lengthened by 41.6 at Montreal 1961. Gross 2530, net 1610. Lengthened 30.0 with new bow and stern at Sorel 1968. In service.
IMPERIAL HALIFAX (69), (a) EMPIRE MALDON (46), (c) CONGAR (II) (181129). "Intermediate Type" British World War II tanker. 1946 Sir J. Laing & Sons, Ltd., Sunderland. 343.5 x 48.3 x 26.5. Gross 3734, net 1982. Owners: l) British Ministry of War Transport (1946). 2) Imperial Oil (1946-1969). 3) Johnstone Shipping Ltd., Toronto.
IMPERIAL LACHINE (II) (319263). Self propelled bunkering barge. 1963 Port Weller Drydocks Ltd. 175.1 x 36.1 x 14.0. Gross 735, net 694. In service at Montreal.
IMPERIAL LEDUC (55), (b) NIPIGON BAY (176115). 1951 Collingwood Shipyards Ltd. 601.6 x 68.2 x 31. Gross 12595, net 9573. Rebuilt as dry bulk carrier and lengthened to 673.6 at Port Arthur 1957-58. Gross 13274, net 9711. Owners: l) Pipeline Tankers Ltd., (Imperial Oil), (1951-54). 2) Pipeline Tankers Ltd., (Canada Steamship Lines Ltd).
IMPERIAL LONDON (173214). 1948 Collingwood Shipyards Ltd. 252.1 x 43.5 x 17.7. Gross 2130, net 1409. Lengthened by 41.6 at Montreal 1961. Gross 2533, net 1612. Lengthened 30.0 with new bow and stern at Sorel 1967-68. Gross 2618, net 1669. In service.
IMPERIAL QUEBEC (II), (188390). 1957 Collingwood Shipyards Ltd. 361 x 52.1 x 26.9. Gross 4680, net 2798. In service.
IMPERIAL REDWATER (54), (b) R. BRUCE ANGUS (192769). 1951 Port Arthur. 601.5 x 68.3 x 31. Gross 12582, net 9581. Rebuilt as dry bulk carrier 1953-54 at Collingwood. Gross 11816, net 7950, Owners: l) Pipeline Tankers Ltd., (Imperial Oil), 1951-53). 2) Upper Lakes & St. Lawrence Transportation Co. Ltd. (1954-59). 3) Upper Lakes Shipping Ltd.
IMPERIAL SARNIA (II) (173217). 1948 Collingwood Shipyards Ltd. 394.5 x 53 x 26.1 Gross 4580, net 3336. Transferred to East Coast via Mississippi 1954. Rebuilt at Sorel 1954. Gross 4947, net 3461, Returned to Lakes 1965. In service.
IMPERIAL VERDUN (319264). Self propelled bunkering barge. 1963 Port Weller Drydocks Ltd. 175.1 x 36.1 x 14. Gross 735, net 694. In service at Montreal.
IMPERIAL WOODBEND (54), (b) GOLDEN HIND (139679). 1952 Collingwood Shipyards Ltd. 601.6 x 68.2 x 31. Gross 12639, net 9630. Rebuilt as dry bulk carrier 1953-54 at Humberstone. Gross 12304, net 8532. Owners: l) Imperial Oil (1952-53). 2) Mohawk Navigation Co. Ltd.
IMPEROYAL (47), (b) IMPERIAL COBOURG (52), (c) STARBELLE (135209). 1913 Greenock & Grangemouth Dockyard Co. Ltd., Grangemouth. 249.5 x 43.1 x 19.7. Gross 2253, net 1384. Rebuilt as dry bulk carrier 1952-53 at Port Dalhousie. Gross 2274, net 1349. Rebuilt as barge at Fort William 1963. Scrapped 1964 at Fort William. Owners: l) Imperial Oil (1913-52). 2) Powell Transports Ltd., Winnipeg, (1952-62). 3) High & Heavy Rigging Ltd. (1962-64). 4) Western Iron & Metal Ltd.
IMPOCO (I) (13), (b) WANETA (129036). 1910 Greenock. 242 x 40 x 18.6. Served during the war as a naval auxiliary in Brazil. Sunk 1918. Owners: 1) Anglo American Oil Co. Ltd., (1910). 2) Imperial Oil (1910-13). 3) Tank Storage & Carriage Co. Ltd., London ( ? - 1917). 4) Standard Transportation Co. Ltd., Hong Kong (1917-18).
IMPOCO (II) (135238). 1913 Greenock. 249 x 43 x 19.7. Gross 1683, net 943. Requisitioned by Royal Navy as bunkering ship 1914-18. Stranded off Cape Sable, N. S., 1920. Salvaged but beached off Imperoyal, N. S.
IOCOLITE (47), (b) IMPERIAL KINGSTON (60), (c) CHARLES W. JOHNSON (134514). 1916 Collingwood Shipbuilding Co. Ltd. 250 x 43.1 x 16.6. Gross 2060, net 1549. Retired 1957. Reduced to barge 1959 at Humberstone. Rebuilt at Sault Ste. Marie 1960 and shortened to 236. Gross 1609, net 1170. Owners: l) Imperial Oil (1916-58). 2) Marine Salvage Ltd. (1958-59). 3) A. B. McLean & Sons Ltd.
IOCOMA (47), (b) IMPERIAL WHITBY (51), (c) GEORGE S. CLEET (61), (d) BAY GEORGE (132745). 1912 Caledon SB. & Eng. Co. Ltd., Dundee. 248.2 x 42.6 x 15.6. Gross 1669, net 1035. Requisitioned for war service 1916-18. Taken to Talara, Peru, for service 1928. Returned in mid 30's and saw bunkering service at Montreal and Halifax. Returned to lakes 1947. Laid up 1949 at Port Weller. Rebuilt as self-unloading collier at Montreal 1951. Gross 2174, net 1549. Rebuilt with cruiser stern at Kingston 1961. Lengthened to 343.8 at Kingston 1965. Gross 3172, net 2351. Sold for scrapping 1969. Owners: l) Imperial Oil (1912-49). 2) Geo. S. Cleet et al., St. Catharines, (1949-51). 3) Bayswater Shipping Ltd., Brockville, (1951-68). 4) Transworld Shipping Ltd., Montreal (1969). 5) United Steel & Refining Co., Hamilton.
OTTAWALITE (47), (b) IMPERIAL OTTAWA (65), (c) IMPERIAL LaHAVE (155285). Ottawa River tanker. 1930 Furness Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Haverton Hill-on-Tees. 175 x 35.2 x 12.9. Gross 723, net 343. Later operated in bunkering on St. Lawrence & East Coast. Never operated as (c). Scrapped 1966 at Dartmouth, N. S.
PETROLITE (47), (b) IMPERIAL GODERICH (55), (c) UNITANKER, (d) PACIFIC WIND (65), (e) EAGLE. (170138). 1938 Marine Industries Ltd., Sorel. 230 x 39 x 18.5. Gross 1561, net 856. To East Coast during war. Later to Peruvian coastal trade. Returned to East Coast 1949. Owners: l) Imperial Oil (1938-55). 2) Unitanker Holdings Ltd., Vancouver (1955- ?). 3) Pacific Bulk Carriers Ltd., Vancouver (?-1965). 4) Fineria Golden de Panama Inc.
REGINALD (100654). Wooden tug. 1894 Calvin Co., Garden Island, Ont. 120.6 x 20 x 9.7. Gross 265, net 122. In fleet for period about 1910. Used to tow barge S. O. Co. NO. 41.
REGINOLITE (I) (20), (b) BAYTOWN (c) LUISIANO (138372). 1917 Collingwood Shipbuilding Co. Ltd. 250 x 43.8 x 23.5. Gross 2631, net 1394. Transferred 1920 to the Humble Oil Co. (Standard Oil). Later to Italian owners. Owners in 1941 listed as Ditta G. M. Barbagelata, Genoa,
RIDEAULITE (47) (b) IMPERIAL LACHINE (I) (54), (c) NIAGARA (69), (d) W.M.EDINGTON (155286). Ottawa River tanker. 1930 Furness Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Haverton Hill-on-Tees. 175 x 35.2 x 12.9. Gross 723, net 343. Rebuilt as sandsucker at Toronto 1954. Gross 769, net 382. Owners: l) Imperial Oil (1930-54). 2) Holden Sand & Gravel Ltd., Toronto (1954-68). 3) McNamara Marine Ltd. (1968-69). 4) Federal Equipment Quebec Ltd. Chomedy (1969). 5) Ontario-Lake Erie Sand Ltd., Oakville.
ROYALITE (47) (b) IMPERIAL WELLAND (134513). 1916 Collingwood Shipbuilding Co. Ltd. 250 x 43.1 x 16.6. Gross 2052, net 1542. Retired 1964. Scrapped 1965 at Santander, Spain.
SARNOLITE (47) (b) IMPERIAL SARNIA (I) (48), (c) IMPERIAL HAMILTON (134515). 1916 Collingwood Shipbuilding Co. Ltd. 250 x 43.1 x 16.6. Gross 2060, net 1549. Damaged by fire at Sarnia, Sept 4,1961. Retired 1962. Converted to barge at Sarnia and lay idle at Windsor. Taken to Kewaunee, Wis., 1967, for use as breakwater. Owners: l) Imperial Oil (1916- 62) 2) Earl's Welding Service, Sarnia (1962-67).
SIMCOLITE (47) (b) IMPERIAL SIMCOE (155282). 1930 Furness Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Haverton Hill-on-Tees. 250 x 43.1 x 17.9. Gross 1919, net 1085. Retired 1964. Scrapped 1965 at Santander, Spain.
S.O.CO. NO. 41, (b) I.O. LTD. NO. 6 (U.S. 162028) (Can. 116952). Steel tank barge. 1903 Port Richmond, N. Y. 155.9 x 30.1 x 12.3. Gross 472, net 398. Towed on Lakes by REGINALD and IMPERIAL (I). Later served as Halifax bunkering ship. Retired 1969. Owners: l) Standard Oil Co. (1903-05). 2) Imperial Oil.
TALARALITE (47) (b) IMPERIAL MIDLAND (53) (c) WILLOWDALE (137907). 1918 Collingwood Shipbuilding Co. Ltd. 250 x 43.8 x 23.5. Gross 2631, net 1394. Rebuilt as dry bulk carrier at Port Dalhousie 1952-53. Gross 2335, net 1356. Scrapped at Toronto 1963. Owners: l) Imperial Oil (1918-52). 2) Reoch Transports Ltd. (1952-63). 3) Ship Repair & Supply Ltd.
WINDSOLITE (47) (b) IMPERIAL WINDSOR (138580). 1927 Furness Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Haverton Hill-on-Tees. 250 x 43.2 x 18. Gross 1930, net 1196. In service.
IMPERIAL QUEBEC, sporting the company's new livery, is upbound in the Welland Canal at Allanburg, August 30, 1968. Photo by the Editor.Ships are listed alphabetically according to the first name under which they served in the Imperial fleet. It should be noted that a further vessel was ordered for the fleet. Hull 149 was laid down in 1953 by Collingwood Shipyards Ltd as a sister to IMPERIAL WOODBEND. Construction was soon stopped, however, and the hull was sold to Canada Steamship Lines Ltd., who completed the ship as the dry bulk carrier GEORGIAN BAY.