Friday, January 8th - A presentation by Barbara Howard on The Lighthouses of the Great Lakes.
Friday, February 5th - To be announced.
The Editor's Notebook
The December meeting of the Society was to have been an open slide night. Instead it turned into a fascinating study of the veteran sidewheel passenger steamers still operating on many of the lakes and rivers of Europe, on both sides of the Iron Curtain. Our thanks to Bill Wilson for presenting these fine photos taken during a recent trip around the Continent.
We extend a very warm welcome to several new members of T.M.H.S. We are pleased to have amongst us Capt. A. Scott and his son, Mr. M. Scott, operators of Waterman's Services (Scott) Ltd., the Toronto pilot boat and towing service. Greetings also go to Gary Mauthe of Toronto. Another new and valued member is the Milwaukee Public Library. We understand that they have a fine marine collection.
We intend to include a membership list with the February issue and we would ask all members to make sure that we have been addressing their envelopes correctly. Please advise us immediately of any changes.
This month we present a rather lengthy Canadian fleet list that we hope will be of interest. Readers' comments are appreciated!
By the way, our congratulations go to those who correctly labelled our mystery pilothouse as that of MATTHEW ANDREWS (II), originally known as FRED G. HARTWELL (II) and now sailing as GEORGE M. CARL (II). Good work!
As the usual winter ice began to form around the lakes, the assignment of Canadian icebreakers was announced. Some surprises were included. The ALEXANDER HENRY, usually stationed at Midland during the winter months, will spend the winter at Thunder Bay so as to be ready for the usual spring ice problems at the Canadian Lakehead. The new GRIFFON will replace the HENRY at Midland. The biggest surprise, however, is the entry into the lakes of the 1930-built twin-stacked N.B. McLEAN. She spent the latter part of December at Toronto and then moved on to the Lake Erie area where she will spend the winter. The McLEAN is a familiar sight on the St. Lawrence but on only one previous occasion has she strayed into the lakes. She did a short spell of duty on Lake Erie in the spring of 1969.
We now have further details on the disposition of the Halco tanker. GULF TRANSPORT, which was sold off the lakes this fall. She was purchased on October 31 by Compagnia Armatoriale Siculo Adriatica and cleared Quebec on November 6th manned by an Italian crew. It is believed that she has since been renamed.
Death came on December 6th, 1970, for Capt. John Roen of Sturgeon Bay, Wis., long a well-known figure in lake shipping circles. For a number of years he operated a fleet of tugs and freight barges, and was perhaps best known for his salvaging of the steamer, GEORGE M. HUMPHREY (I) which sank in 1943 in the Straits of Mackinac after a collision with the D. M. CLEMSON. Capt. Roen, a native of Tysse, Norway, also operated trawlers on the East Coast.
HENRY R. PLATT JR., a unit of the Gartland Steamship fleet and inactive since the purchase by American Steamship Co., arrived at Ramey's Bend in the Welland Canal on November 27th in tow of TRAVELLER and HERBERT A. She had lain in Cleveland since 1968 and was apparently resold by Transworld Steel Corp., Panama, to Marine Salvage Ltd. It is not yet clear whether she will be cut up at Humberstone or towed overseas.
Two veteran Columbia Transportation Div. steamers have been sold to Royal Marine Transport Inc., N. Y., for scrapping overseas. They are O.S. McFARLAND and G. G. POST both craneships. The McFARLAND, formerly known as KENSINGTON (17) and M.A.REEB (28), had been idle for a number of years. She was towed to Carrollton, near Saginaw, arriving there on December 3rd to load scrap. However, due to the lateness of the season, it was decided to hold her with storage grain for the winter. Presumably, she will move out next spring for Quebec City, The POST, built in 1902 and named successively LUZON and JOHN ANDERSON, was transferred to a Hamilton, Bermuda, subsidiary, Silloc Ltd., in 1965. She has been laid up at Ojibway, Ontario, since the end of the 1968 season. She was towed to Detroit early in December for loading with scrap but was returned without cargo to Ojibway shortly thereafter.
The Manitowoc Co. Inc., owner of the Manitowoc Shipbuilding Co., purchased the former Christy shipyard property at Sturgeon Bay, Wis., on December 7th, at a foreclosure sale. The Manitowoc marine operations will be moved to Sturgeon Bay where the firm's 650-foot floating drydock will once again be used. It has not been used for some time as a result of its poor location in the Manitowoc yard which was virtually inaccessible to large vessels.
As of December 20th, 1970, the veteran steam carferry, HURON, was still operating under her own power on the C.N. ferry route between Windsor and Detroit. LANSDOWNE was pushed for a one-week period ending December 19th by the McQueen tug, AMHERSTBURG, and this was her first operation since the accident of last summer in which she blew the cylinder head on her port engine. LANSDOWNE looks much as she did as a steamer except that her pilothouse and paddlebuckets have been removed. She still carries the cabins on deck as well as her stacks and engines. The first of the new C.N. tugs was due in Windsor before Christmas, with the second to follow shortly after, so it would appear that the life of HURON will soon undergo a drastic change. The conversion to barge operation is imminent and it is doubtful that she will see more than the first few days of 1971 as a steamer.
It was on November 29th, 1966, that the Bethlehem bulk carrier, DANIEL J. MORRELL, foundered in Lake Huron off Harbor Beach, Mich., a victim of the storm that also severely damaged her sister ship, EDWARD Y. TOWNSEND. Only one man survived the sinking. The loss of the sixty year old ship was in the news again recently when a U.S. District Judge in Cleveland awarded the sum of $2,750,000. to the families of 27 men lost in the sinking. There is still an outstanding claim for injuries suffered by the sole survivor.
A decision is expected in January on whether or not Capt. Burris Wolters of the Tomlinson self-unloader, SYLVANIA, will have his license revoked. It is alleged by the U.S. Coast Guard that, on the night of November 21st, he failed to take the necessary measures to rescue two men who drowned in the Detroit River near Bob-Lo Island.
The new Algoma Central and Hudson Bay Railway self-unloader, AGAWA CANYON, was delivered by Collingwood Shipyards to her owner at Owen Sound on November 20th. She immediately entered service. The new motorship is generally similar to ALGORAIL with the exception of the addition of a transom stern in line with a recent, much-lamented trend in designing ships with as little waste space as possible. Good for the shareholders' wallets, but not for the eye of the shipwatcher.
A move is underway to have the U.S.C.G. dispose of the tender, TAMARACK, recently retired from her duties at the Soo, to the Lake Superior State College for use as a limnological research vessel,
1972 is the date for the start of the contract between Cleveland-Cliffs and the Republic Steel Corp. for the carriage of Republic ore. As a result, Cliffs have already made certain moves to expand their fleet in preparation for the added tonnage. Now comes word that Republic will charter three vessels to Cliffs in 1972 and it is presumed that the ships will be the THOMAS F. PATTON, TOM M. GIRDLER and CHARLES M. WHITE. If this is the case, the future of the other three Republic steamers, SILVER BAY, PETER ROBERTSON and HARRY L. ALLEN, would appear to be unpromising.
An explosion and fire occurred on November 29th aboard the Erie Canal barge, HYGRADE 18, as she was being pushed across Seneca Lake. Three crewmen died in the accident. We have heard of no damage being sustained by the unidentified tug that was pushing the barge loaded with gasoline.
C. W. CADWELL rests on the bottom of the Niagara River above Queenston Dock on Nov. 28, 1970. J. H. Bascom photo.More information is now available concerning the recent accident involving the small steam sandsucker, C. W. CADWELL. On the night of November 25th, she was heading upstream in the Niagara River, bound for the dock at Queenston. For some unexplained reason, she was unable to dock properly and hit the wharf. The result was a rather large dent in the facing on the wharf, and a hole in the ship's bow. Right at the Queenston dock, there is an eddy in the river and the water above the dock near the shore actually flows upstream. The disabled sand boat was caught in this current and was carried upstream several hundred feet and struck a rock near the shore just at the base of Queenston Heights. The impact with the rock punched a hole in the ship's bottom near the bow, and she settled until her bow was submerged almost to the level of the forecastle. The stern remained dry. The CADWELL was raised by the Canadian Dredge & Dock Co. and she was towed to Kingston by G.W.ROGERS arriving there on December 5th. She was placed in the company's drydock there and we understand that she has now been repaired.
Back in October of 1966, a collision occurred in the Welland Canal just below Port Robinson that saw the self-unloader, STONEFAX, badly holed, take on water and sink just clear of the main channel. Not only was she a difficult salvage proposition, but her cargo of potash fouled both the canal and municipal water systems for many weeks. The Exchequer Court of Canada originally laid full blame for the accident with the STONEFAX, but her owners appealed the decision. The Supreme Court of Canada has now upset the previous ruling and has placed 80% of the responsibility on the other ship involved, the Norwegian. ARTHUR STOVE. The court has refused to completely clear the STONEFAX and has held her 20% at fault.
IMPERIAL DARTMOUTH at Port Colborne, downbound, December 7, 1970. W. R. Wilson photo.The newest unit of the Imperial Oil fleet was delivered recently by Collingwood Shipyards. IMPERIAL DARTMOUTH is a bunkering tanker for use in Halifax Harbour, where she will replace the veteran canaller, IMPERIAL CORNWALL. The new ship, powered by conventional diesels rather than by outboard units, was built as Hull 196 of the yard. She passed down the Welland Canal on December 8th bound for the East Coast.
Last issue we mentioned several older Canadian carriers that are being converted for oil fuel this winter. We now understand that the same operation will be performed on the Reoch self-unloaders LEADALE and FERNDALE. Both are due to winter in Port Colborne.
A Return Trip for Cibola and Corona
It always seems that, just after an issue of our publication goes to print, additional information becomes available that adds to or corrects an item that we have just completed. We suspected and, I suppose, really hoped, that such would be the case with our effort last month on the history of the Niagara steamers, CIBOLA and CORONA. We were not disappointed! Perhaps our readers will be interested in what has now come to light on these two Sidewheelers.
The date is 1912, before smoke was considered pollution, as CORONA and DALHOUSIE CITY race for the Toronto Eastern Gap. R. W. Murphy photo from the Bascom collection.First of all, let us return to the unfortunate events of the night of July 15, 1895, when CIBOLA took fire while lying at Lewiston. It is true that the wreck eventually wound up at Youngstown, but she was not towed there. The burning steamer grounded on the American shore after being swept downstream by the current. Our old friend, Henry King, later to command CHICORA and CORONA, was an officer aboard CIBOLA at the time and was apparently the first person aboard the wreck the morning after the fire.
We mentioned that CORONA was designed by Arendt Angstrom but we committed an inexcusable error in stating that he was also responsible for the great CHIPPEWA. The flagship was, of course, designed by a certain famous gentleman named, Frank E. Kirby, and was built by the Hamilton Bridge Company,
We noted last month that CORONA spent some time on the Toronto to Hamilton run during the early 1920's. This service ended for her, in 1924, when TURBINIA returned from salt water. The latter vessel took up her old route and CORONA thereafter only made the Hamilton run on the occasion of special excursions.
In stating that CORONA was laid up at Toronto in 1933, we appear to have erred. In fact, she last operated in 1929 and then lay for eight long years in the Toronto Ship Channel prior to her sale for scrapping. Frankel Bros. Ltd., who purchased the steamer in 1937, did not actually dismantle her. The work was done by Summer & Company, Buffalo, to whom she had been resold.
The information for the story of these steamers comes, of course, from a great many sources, including Barlow Cumberland's "A Century of Sail and Steam on the Niagara River" (1913) and Robertson's "Landmarks of Toronto" Volume II (1896). We should also like to acknowledge the assistance of Alan Howard who helped out on some of the stickier points.
Hail To The Queen...
or Hallelujah, Someone Cares!
Very seldom during these years of great change in the marine situation does there come along any news that is really thrilling to the shipwatcher. Nevertheless, that moment is now at hand, and your Editor has the pleasure of writing an article that he never dreamed would be possible.
Yes, it is true. The DELTA QUEEN has been saved! Our readers will remember that our last report had the old girl tied up at New Orleans with no prospect of any further operation. But things have changed, and Congress has approved a three year exemption for the ship from the 1966 Safety-at-Sea requirements.
We started out to outline the course of the new legislation, but that has no place in this report. What is important is that the inland waters of Worth America will have one steam passenger service for three more years. Granted, it is not a Great Lakes service, but we will take what we can get. Even this cannot last forever.
As soon as the Greene Line announces its plans for DELTA QUEEN, we will pass the information along. Meanwhile, we will just rejoice in the fact that for once "progress" has not been able to destroy one of the truly great pleasures in this world. What better Christmas gift than life for a QUEEN?
by Fred Sankoff
At the foot of Jarvis Street in Toronto is located the unloading dock and refinery of the Canada & Dominion Sugar Company Limited, which is part of the Tate and Lyle Group, From all the sugar growing countries of the world come ships with their bulk cargoes destined for the "Redpath" refineries. In most cases, part cargoes are brought to Toronto as the vessels are generally of the 15000 DWT size or larger; hence, when fully loaded they are unable to transit the Seaway. Consequently, sugar is unloaded at Montreal to enable the ship to proceed to Toronto. After unloading in Toronto which takes from five days to a week, the usual procedure is for a fixture of grain, generally from a Lake Superior port.
The trend has been a rush at the opening of navigation season as was the case in 1970, with the arrival of record cargoes with the large bulk carriers, ANDWI, and FEDERAL SCHELDE, two of the largest ships to navigate the Seaway. During the months of June and July, not a vessel could be seen at the sugar dock but towards the latter part of August activity resumed with the arrival of SYRIE, a British built SD-14, then in rapid succession came the Strick Liners, REGISTAN and SERBISTAN, from Bombay, to be followed by the ALEXANDER VOYAZIDES. The GARDENIA was a rather sorry sight covered with rust from stem to stern, a product of Readhead's built as the APOLLON in 1957. However, her present owners in Famagusta must care little for appearances. The KHIAN SEA, a "Freedom" was a visitor, as was the SHEAF CREST, a Doxford & Sunderland liberty replacement, arrived with a cargo from Australia, then refused to leave Toronto due to engine problems, which also plagued her in the Welland Canal.
An interesting arrival also from Australia was the FJELLANGER, a large bulk carrier in the fleet of Westfal-Larsen, equipped with Munck unloaders. Normally this vessel is used to the Pacific West coast in the lumber trade in the Star Bulk group. The NADINE, with a part cargo in just two of her six holds, was rather slow in unloading due to weather conditions. While she was on berth, the MARINA. another Greek registered vessel arrived and waited patiently for her turn, meanwhile belching out great "gobs" of black smoke. On December 1st, she cleared Toronto for Duluth but not before one of the engineers turned the wrong valve to transfer oil bunkers from one tank to another and instead the oil was transferred into Toronto Harbour. What took place between the Chief Engineer and the Captain is highly censored; however, they were able to clear the port after posting a bond. She was a very interesting ship, being the ex-Eastern ARGOSY of the Indo-China Steam Navigation Company Limited of London and Hong Kong,
The Quebec And Ontario Transportation Co. Ltd.
In order to be assured of a steady source for its newsprint, the Chicago Tribune established a paper mill at Thorold, Ontario, on the Welland Canal, and for this purpose, the Ontario Paper Co. Ltd. was incorporated on February 29th, 1912. It soon became evident that a transportation department could reduce the costs of carrying pulpwood to the mill and on January 22, 1914, the Ontario Transportation & Pulp Co. was incorporated as a wholly owned subsidiary of Ontario Paper. The name of this affiliate was changed in 1933 to the Quebec & Ontario Transportation Co. Ltd., Montreal.
The first CHICAGO TRIBUNE, destined to be sunk by enemy action, is outbound at Port Dalhousie, carrying an ad for one of her owner's publications on the side. Photo dated about 1925. Photo by J. H. BascomThe first vessel operated by the company was the canal-sized ocean steamer HONOREVA which was chartered in 1914 for the run to Thorold with pulp. The vessel was later purchased by the company. During 1914 and 1915, newsprint was shipped from Thorold to Chicago by the ships of the Rutland Transit Co, which maintained a regular package-freight service between Ogdensburg, N. Y., and Lake Michigan ports. The arrangement came to an end in 1916 when the Rutland steamers were sold for salt water service.
In 1916, the company purchased the steel canaller, TOILER, along with the wooden steamers, MARY H. BOYCE, and LINDEN, and the wooden schooner barge, MIDDLESEX. At the same time, the steel freighter, CHARLES S. NEFF, was chartered. The 1893-built package freighter, GLENLYON, was briefly chartered from James Playfair of Midland in 1919 for the carriage of newsprint. Her capacity was 1704 tons of paper, but she took so long to load and unload that the charter was dropped after only a trip or two.
After World War I, the company began to place orders with British yards for steel canallers. No upper lake carriers were owned by the firm until late in 1939 when the first HERON BAY was acquired. A number of larger steamers have joined the fleet in the years since the end of the Second War.
NEW YORK NEWS (II) lays out a screen of sweet-smelling coal smoke above Lock 1 at Port Weller, April 16, 1955. Photo by J. H. BascomDuring World War II, in order to move newsprint from the Baie Comeau mill to New York City (via the St. Lawrence, the Erie Canal and the Hudson River), the barge canal type motorships BUCKEYE STATE, BADGER STATE and EMPIRE STATE were chartered, starting in 1942, from the Federal Motorship Corp. Sometimes the vessels went the entire route, while on other occasions they unloaded the newsprint into canal barges at Oswego. On the return from New York, the motorships usually carried bauxite ore to Port Alfred, Quebec, and this cargo helped overcome the charter costs. This awkward and expensive method of shipping newsprint resulted from the wartime prohibition of such direct shipments by salt water. Prior to the war, the company had handled newsprint cargoes from Baie Comeau to New York via the Atlantic Coast in chartered ocean vessels and its own salt water steamer, COLABEE.
The company has always moved much pulp to Thorold in chartered lake ships and this same arrangement has covered paper cargoes for Chicago. Some newsprint has also moved directly to New York in barge canal vessels.
The latest major corporate change came in 1962 when the Q & O established a new subsidiary, Comet Enterprises Ltd. of Hamilton, Bermuda, for the purpose of owning a number of older upper lakers acquired from American operators.
HERON BAY (I) is downbound at Little Rapids Cut, St. Mary's River, with a deckload of pulpwood in this June 20, 1958 view. Photo by J. H. BascomThe company has always maintained its fleet very well and the ships present a very smart appearance. The hulls are black, the forecastles and cabins white, and the stacks buff with a black top and a red band below the black. Originally, the design included the letters "CT" (for Chicago Tribune) in white on the red band. This was later succeeded by "Q and O" in white, and still later by the interlocked letters "Q&O". Comet Enterprise vessels have a large white "C" on the red band,
We have listed the vessels in the company's fleet alphabetically according to the first name under which they served the firm. This is important since the duplication of names is not uncommon. All ships, unless otherwise specified, are steel-hulled, single-screw, steam-powered bulk carriers.
BADGER STATE, (a) FORDONIAN (26), (b) YUKONDOC (29), (c) GEORGIAN (33), (d) FORDONIAN (34). Can. 133077, U.S. 214598. Single-screw diesel package freighter. 1912 Clyde Shipbuilding & Engineering Co. Ltd., Port Glasgow. 250.0 x 42.0 x 23.6. Gross 2368, net 1905. Converted to steam power shortly after arrival on lakes. Requisitioned by Canadian government for salt water service 1915. Returned to C.S.L. 1918 but remained on salt water. Reconverted to diesel power 1922. Stranded on Lake Superior December 12, 1932 and abandoned to insurers. Salvaged by Sin Mac 1933 and repaired. Rebuilt 1934 as a barge canal type diesel bulk carrier at Ogdensburg, N.Y. Gross 1540, net 1118. Struck a submerged object and foundered in Gulf of Mexico, January 14 1946. Chartered by Q&O., 1942-45. Owners: 1) Canadian Interlake Line (Merchants Mutual Steamship Co., Montreal) (1912-13). 2) Canada Steamship Lines Ltd. (1913-21). 3) American Mediterranean Line (1921-26), (Chartered to Canada Atlantic Transit Co. 1923-25). 4) Paterson Steamships Ltd. (1926-29). 5) Northwest Steamships Ltd., Toronto (1929-32). 6) Sin Mac Lines Ltd (1933-34). 7) Federal Motorship Corp., Buffalo (1934-46).
BATE COMEAU (55), (b) JOSEPH MEDILL PATTERSON (67), (c) EXUMA SOUND. Can. 195611. Twin screw diesel. 1954 Atlantic Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Newport, Mon., Bill 3. 251.7 x 44.0 x 20.8. Gross 2300, net 1475. Sold off lakes for use in West Indies 1967. Owners: 1) Q&O (1954-67). 2) Shallow Draft Bulk Carriers Ltd., Nassau.
BLACK RIVER, (a) SIR ISAAC LOTHIAN BELL (37), (b) BLANCHE H. (49). U.S. 116741, Canadian 158269. Steel barge. 1896 F. W. Wheeler & Co., West Bay City, Mich., Hull 118. 366.0 x 45.1 x 21.5. Gross 3395, net 3003. Rebuilt as single-screw diesel bulk carrier 1952 by Port Weller Dry Docks Ltd. 373.0 x 44.6 x 21.5. Gross 3587, net 2483. Capacity 2100 cords pulp. Owners: 1) Bessemer Steamship Co. (l896-1901). 2) Pittsburgh Steamship Co. (1901-36). 3) Marine Iron & Shipbuilding Co. (John P. Geistman), Duluth (1936-37). 4) Pigeon River Timber Co., Fort William (1937-38). 5) Lakehead Transportation Co., Ltd. (1938-42). 6) Great Lakes Lumber & Shipping Co. Ltd., Fort William (1942-49). 7) Q&O. In service.
MARY H. BOYCE. U.S. 92033, Can. 140994. Wooden bulk carrier. 1888 Grand Haven, Mich. 181.4 x 34.2 x 13.7. Gross 932, net 839. Rebuilt 1892 and 1902. Gross 864, net 478. Capacity 430 cords pulp. Owned originally by S.H.Boyce, Grand Haven. Owned 1907 through 1912 by American Shipbuilding Co. Owned 1914 by F. W. Smith, Milwaukee. Sold 1916 to O.T.& P. Co. Sold 1922 to N.M. Paterson, Fort William. Burned 1928 at Fort William.
BUCKEYE STATE. U.S. 229778. Twin screw diesel barge canal bulk carrier. 1930 St. Lawrence Marine Repair Dock Corp., Ogdensburg, N.Y., Hull 2. 246.3 x 43.6 x 16.8. Gross 1473, net 1180. Removed from lake service during 1950's. Owners: 1) Federal Motorship Corp. (1930-49). 2) Buckeye Motorship Corp., N.Y. (1949-56). 3) Honduras Shipping Co. Honduras. Chartered by Q&O 1942-45.
CHICAGO TRIBUNE (1) (33), (b) THOROLD (II). Can. 146589. 1922 Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson Ltd., Wallsend-on-Tyne. 250.0 x 42.10 x 19.4. Gross 1689, net 987. Capacity 1100 cords pulp. Requisitioned for salt water service 1940. Sailed for England June 1940 for coal trade Wales to France. Sunk by German aircraft on first cross-channel trip, August 22, 1940. 11 lives lost. Owners: 1) O.T.& P. Co. (1922-33). 2) Q&O (1933-40).
WILEY M. EGAN. U.S. 81143, Can. 111965. Wooden bulk carrier. 1887 Cleveland. 260.7 x 39.9 x 19.8. Gross 1667, net 1380. Built for W.M. Egan, Chicago, and operated by the "White Line," Milwaukee. Owned 1912 by the Pittsburgh & Erie Coal Co. Sold 1912 to Ontario & Quebec Navigation Co. (A. W. Hepburn), Picton. Absorbed 1914 by Canada Steamship Lines Ltd. Purchased in damaged condition 1918 by O.T. & P. Co. for use as dock at Shelter Bay, Quebec.
EMPIRE STATE. U.S. 228732. Twin screw diesel barge canal bulk carrier. 1929 St. Lawrence Marine Repair Dock Corp., Ogdensburg, N.Y., Hull 1. 244.5 x 43.5 x 14.7. Gross 1692, net 1355. Chartered by Q & O 1942-45. Removed from lake service during 1950's. Owners: 1) Federal Motorship Corp (1929-49). 2) Empire Motorship Corp., N.Y. (1949-?). Final disposition not known.
FRANQUELIN (1) (64), (b) PRINCE UNGAVA (67), (c) JEAN TALON. Can. 161593. Twin screw diesel. 1936 Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson Ltd., Newcastle, Hull 1517. 251.3 x 43.9 x 20.2. Gross 2097, net 1597. Capacity 1360 cords pulp. Sailed for Montreal May 16, 1936. Owners: 1) Q&O (1936-64). 2) North Shore Shipping Ltd., Montreal (1964-67). 3) Desgagnes Navigation Co. Ltd.
FRANQUELIN (II), (a) GRIFFON (67). Can. 198009. Single screw diesel. 1955 Port Weller Dry Docks Ltd. 253.3 x 43.6 x 20.2. Gross 2292, net 1605. Lengthened 72.0 and deepened 5.6 by Canadian Vickers Ltd., Montreal, 1959. Lengthened 18.0 by same yard 1960. Gross 3542, net 2613. Owners: 1) Beaconsfield Steamships Ltd., Montreal, (1955-63). 2) Mohawk Navigation Co., Ltd., Montreal (1963-67). 3) Q&O. In service.
HERON BAY (I) (63), (a) AGAWA (I) (28), (b) ROBERT P. DURHAM (40), (d) FEDERAL HUSKY. Can. 111807. Steel barge. 1902 Collingwood Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Hull 2. Rebuilt as steamer 1907 at Collingwood. 377.0 x 46.1 x 22.1. Gross 3759, net 2468. Stranded December 7, 1927, on Advance Reef, Manitoulin Island. Abandoned to the insurers. Refloated June 3, 1928 and rebuilt at Collingwood. Gross 3525, net 2508. Used 1962-65 for salt storage at Baie Comeau, Quebec. Arrived at Bilbao, Spain, November 26, 1965, for scrapping. Owners: 1) Algoma Central & Hudson Bay Railway Co. (1902-27), 2) Reid Wrecking Co., Sarnia, (1928). 3) Canada Steamship Lines Ltd. (1928-29). 4) Arrow Steamships Ltd. (John E. Russell and Robert A. Campbell), Toronto, (1929-39). 5) Q&O (1939-62). 6) Federal Commerce & Navigation Co. Ltd., Montreal (1962-65). 7) Commonwealth Metal Ltd. (1965). 8) Cia. Espanol de Demolicione Naval (1965).
HERON BAY (II), (a) J. PIERPONT MORGAN (66). U.S. 203155, Can. 326398. 1906 Chicago Shipbuilding Co., Hull 68. 586.5 x 58.3 x 27.4. Gross 7709, net 6136. Owners: 1) Pittsburgh Steamship Co. (1906-65). 2) Comet Enterprises Ltd. In service,
HONOREVA. Br. 134700. 1913 Osborne, Graham & Co. Ltd., Sunderland. 240.0 x 36.0 x 20.0. Gross 1452, Chartered for lake and river service by O.T.& P. Co., 1914-16 from the Donald Steamship Co. Ltd. Purchased by O.T. & P. Co., August 17, 1916. Sold for salt water service August 24, 1916. Capacity 850 cords pulp.
LINDEN. U.S. 141370. Can. 141667. Wooden bulk carrier. 1895 Jenks Shipbuilding Co., Port Huron, Mich. 206.0 x 35.0 x 12.6. Gross 894, net 708. Capacity 571 cords pulp. Owned during early years by, among others, Charles S. Hebard & Co., and Henry McMorran. Purchased 1918 by O.T.& P. Co. Sold 1923 to R. Burns, Detroit. Burned Nov. 28, 1923, in Tawas Bay. Wreck removed 1930.
MANICOUAGAN (I) (51), (a) IMARI (31), (b) DELAWARE (43), (c) EMPIRE ROTHER (49),
(e) WASHINGTON TIMES HERALD (54), (f) MANITOULIN. Can. 149497. 1929 Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson Ltd., Sunderland, Hull 1383. 252.8 x 43.4 x 17.8. Gross 1940. Scrapped at Port Dalhousie 1963. Owners: 1) St. Lawrence Steamships Ltd. (1929-43). 2) British Ministry of War Transport (1943-49). 3) Q & O (1949-62). 4) A. Newman & Co. St. Catharines (1962-63).
MANICOUAGAN (II) (55), (b) COL. ROBERT R. McCORMICK (67), (c) MONTAGU BAY. Can. 198000. Twin screw diesel. 1955 Atlantic Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Newport, Mon., Hull 4. 251.7 x 44.0 x 20.8. Gross 2313, net 1505. Sold off lakes for use in West Indies 1966. Owners; 1) Q&O (1955-66). 2) Shallow Draft Bulk Carriers Ltd., Nassau.
JOSEPH MEDILL. Can. 158031. Twin screw diesel. 1935 Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson Ltd., Wallsend-on-Tyne. 251.2 x 43.9 x 20.2. Gross 2087, net 1607. Cleared Leith en route to Montreal and Toronto with 2784 tons Scotch anthracite coal August 10, 1935. Sighted in Atlantic August 17, 1935, but never seen again. All hands lost. Owners: 1) Q&O (1935).
MIDDLESEX (18), (b) WOODLANDS. U.S. 91307, Can. 138504. Wooden schooner barge. 1881 St. Clair, Mich. 184.0 x 32.5 x 12.3. Gross 618, net 578. Owned 1902 by Soper Lumber Co., Chicago; 1905 by J. A. Calbick & Co., Chicago; 1914 by Henry Brock, Cleveland. Purchased 1916 by O.T.& P. Co. Broke loose from tug in Rapide Plat, St. Lawrence River, and stranded 1918. Abandoned to insurers. Sold to Sin Mac Lines Ltd., Montreal, and salvaged. Rebuilt 1918 at Sorel. Retired during mid 1920's.
CHARLES S. NEFF (17), (b) SERPENTINE, (c) GABINO (25), (d) WESTON M. CARROLL (51), (e) SAN PEDRO. U.S. 127547. 1901 Jenks Shipbuilding Co., Port Huron, Mich. 200.0 x 38.0 x 11.6. Gross 992, net 800. Built for lumber trade for C.S. Neff, Milwaukee. Chartered 1916 by O.T.& P. Co. on assumption she could carry 1500 tons newsprint. Charter dropped when found capacity only 601 tons. Sold French and left lakes 1917. Sold Cuban after World War I. Sold 1925 to Buffalo Gravel Corp. and returned to lakes. Converted to sandsucker 1925. Gross 1069, net 871. Engines removed 1942. Towed to salt water and re-engined 1944. Lying idle at Norfolk by 1949. Sold Brazilian 1951 and allegedly still operating.
NEW YORK NEWS (I) (33), (b) SHELTER BAY (I) (58), (c) LABRADOC. Can. 146581. 1922 North of Ireland Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Londonderry, Hull 101. 250.2 x 43.0 x 16.8. Gross 1670, net 970. Capacity 1100 cords pulp. Scrapped at Port Dalhousie 1961. Owners: 1) O.T.& P. Co. (1922-33). 2) Q&O (1933-58), 3) N.M.Paterson & Sons Ltd. (1958-61). 4) A.Newman & Co. Ltd., St. Catharines (1961).
NEW YORK NEWS (II) (62), (a) BELVOIR (I) (33), (c) BUCKPORT. Can. 148126. 1925 Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson Ltd., Wallsend-on-Tyne, Hull 1269. 248.1 x 43.8 x 22.9. Gross 2310, net 1672. Originally purchased by company for newsprint service to New York City, but soon brought back to lake trade. Requisitioned by Canadian government August 1942 and operated by the U.S. Maritime Commission. Returned to Q&O 1943. Idle 1963-64. Scrapped 1965 at Montreal. Owners: 1) International Waterways Navigation Co. Ltd., Montreal (1925-33). 2) Q&O (1933-62). 3) Buckport Shipping Ltd., (James J. Buckler), Montreal (1962-65). 4) St. Lawrence Iron & Metal Ltd. (1965).
NEW YORK NEWS (III), (a) TECUMSEH (67). Can. 198025. Single screw diesel. 1956 Port Weller Dry Docks Ltd., Hull 19. 253.3 x 43.6 x 20.2. Gross 2293, net 1606. Lengthened 90.0 and deepened 5.6 by Canadian Vickers Ltd., Montreal (1950-60) Gross 3536, net 2607. Broke in two and sank while loading salt at Pugwash, N.S., July 18. 1967. Salvaged. Owners: 1) Beaconsfield Steamships Ltd. (1956-63). 2) Mohawk Navigation Co. Ltd. (1963-67). 3) Q&O. In service.
OUTARDE (I) (60), (a) BRULIN (40), (c) JAMES J. BUCKLER. Can. 148087. 1924 Palmer's Shipbuilding & Iron Co. Ltd., Hepburn-on-Tyne, Hull 949. 248.0 x 43.1 x 22.8. Gross 2241, net 1576. Capacity 1295 cords pulp, 2050 tons paper. Requisitioned by Canadian government 1942 and operated by U.S. Maritime Commission. Stranded near St. Pierre et Miquelon, Gulf of St. Lawrence, January 1943. Salvaged and returned to Q&O June 13, 1943. Stranded June 13, 1960, on Red Islet, St. Lawrence River, near mouth of Saguenay River. Sank during salvage operations June 16, 1960. Owners: 1) Montreal Forwarding Co. Ltd., (Lindsay Bros.), Montreal, (1924-39). 2) Q&O (1939-60). 3) Buckport Shipping Ltd., (1960).
OUTARDE (II), (a) ABRAHAM STEAM (15), (b) EDWARD N. SAUNDERS JR. (1) (31), (c) JOHN C. WILLIAMS (56), (d) MICHAEL K. TEWKSBURY (63), U.S. 202876, Can. 316354. 1906 Superior Shipbuilding Co., Superior, Wis., Hull 513. 525.0 x 55.0 x 31.0. Gross 6657, net 5140. Repossessed by the builder 1915 at time of dissolution of Hawgood fleet. Owners: 1) W. A. & A. H. Hawgood, Cleveland, (1906-11). 2) Commonwealth Steamship Co. (Hawgood), Cleveland (1911-15). 3) American Shipbuilding Co. (1915-18), (chartered 1916-17 to Calumet Transportation Co., M. A. Hanna & Co., Mgrs.). 4) Producers Steamship Co, (Hanna), (1918-31). 5) National Steel Corp., (Hanna), (1931-46). 6) Midland Steamship Line Inc., Cleveland (1946-62). 7) Comet Enterprises Ltd. In service.
PIC RIVER, (a) JAMES NASMYTH (37), (b) MERLE H. (49). U.S. 77231, Can. 158268. Steel barge. 1896 F. W. Wheeler & Co., West Bay City, Michigan, Hull 117. 366.0 x 44.1 x 22.0. Gross 3419, net 2979. Rebuilt 1924. Rebuilt as diesel bulk carrier 1953 by Port Weller Dry Docks Ltd. 373.0 x 44.6 x 22.1. 3569 gross, net 2479. Capacity 2100 cords pulp. Owners: 1) Bessemer Steamship Co. (1896-1901). 2) Pittsburgh Steamship Co. (1901-36). 3) Marine Iron & Shipbuilding Co. (John P. Geistman), Duluth, (1936-37) 4) Pigeon River Timber Co. (1937-38). 5) Lakehead Transportation Co. Ltd. (1938-42). 6) Great Lakes Lumber & Shipping Co. Ltd. (1942-49). 7) Q&O. In service.
ROCKY RIVER (53), (a) SATINLEAF (49), (c) FOUNDATION JOSEPHINE II. (d) NORTH STAR IV. Can. 173189. Wooden diesel tug. 1944 Everett Pacific Shipbuilding & Drydock Co., Everett Wash. 174.5 x 36.5 x 19.2. Gross 874, net 549. Built as U.S. Navy net tender. Brought to lakes 1947. Used by Q&O to tow barges PIC RIVER and BLACK RIVER. Later served as salvage tug on East Coast. Foundered in Hudson's Bay 1961. Owners: 1) U.S. Navy (1944-47). 2) Great Lakes Lumber & Shipping Co. Ltd. (1947-49). 3) Q&O (1949-53). 4) Foundation Maritime Ltd., Halifax (1953-?). 5) William Sumarah, Jr., Halifax (?-1961).
SHELTER BAY (II), (a) JAY C. MORSE (65) U.S. 204429, Can. 317136. 1907 American Shipbuilding Co., Cleveland, Hull 438. 532.0 x 58.0 x 31.0. Gross 6885, net 5325. Owners: 1) Interlake Steamship Co., (Pickands, Mather & Co.), (1907-65). 2) Comet Enterprises Ltd. In service.
THOROLD (I) (33), (b) CHICAGO TRIBUNE (II). Can. 160889. Single screw diesel. 1930 Earle's Shipbuilding & Engineering Co. Ltd., Hull, England, Hull 676. 253.3 x 43.7 x 21.1. Gross 2960, net 2344. Designed for carriage of newsprint and built with a raised trunk deck. Original Sulzer diesels replaced 1958 by 1944-built Fairbanks Morse diesels. Lengthened to 314.2 by Port Weller Dry Docks Ltd. 1962. Gross 3859, net 3055. Owners: 1) O.T.& P. Co. (1930-33). 2) Q&O. In service.
THOROLD (III), (a) CARMI A. THOMPSON (63). U.S. 215614, Can. 316353. 1917 American Shipbuilding Co.. Lorain, Hull 722. 525.0 x 58.0 x 31.0. Gross 7038, net 5658. Owners: 1) Producers Steamship Co., (M.A.Hanna & Co.), (1917-c.25). 2) National Steel Corp., (Hanna), (c. 1925-30). 3) Butler Steamship Co., (Midland Steamship Line Inc., Operator), Cleveland (1930-?). 4) Midland Steamship Line Inc. (?-1962). 5) Comet Enterprises Ltd. In service.
TOILER (19), (b) MAPLEHEATH. Can. 129767. Single screw diesel. 1911 Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson Ltd., Newcastle-on-Tyne, Hull 840. 255.4 x 42.5 x 17.3. Gross 1692, net 1036. Capacity 1000 cords pulp. Built on speculation. Sold and brought to lakes 1912. Stranded at Cardinal, St. Lawrence River, May 24 1912. Salvaged. Rebuilt winter 1912-13 by Kingston Dry Dock Co. Ltd., and 400 h.p. diesel replaced by used triple expansion steam machinery. Re-engined again at Kingston 1929 and fitted with 1903 triple expansion steam engines from SIMLA. Cut down to salvage lightering barge 1960. Owners: 1) Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson Ltd. (1911-12). 2) James Richardson, (J. Playfair, Operator), Kingston (1912-140. 3) James Playfair, Midland, (1914-16). 4) O.T. & P. Co. (1916-18). 5) Canada Steamship lines Ltd. (1918-60). 6) McAllister Towing Co. Ltd. (later McAllister-Pyke Salvage Ltd.)
The company has, over the years, chartered a number of salt water carriers for the delivery of newsprint on the Atlantic seaboard. The concern has owned, through a U.S. subsidiary, the Illinois Atlantic Co., at least one vessel of this type,
COLABEE,(a) PAGASSET (37). U.S. 220710. 1920 Atlantic Corp., Portsmouth, N.H. 410.5 x 54.2 x 27.0. Gross 5617, net 4019. Capacity 5100 tons newsprint. Originally built for U. S. Maritime Commission. Purchased by Illinois Atlantic; Co. May 1940. Requisitioned by U.S. Maritime Commission for war service January 1942. Torpedoed off Cuba, March 12, 1942, but not sunk. Towed to Tampa, Florida, for repairs. Returned to I. A. Co. at end of war. Sold June 28, 1950, to San Francisco owners.
We wish to acknowledge "Trees to News" by Carl Wiegman (1953), a history of the Ontario Paper Company, as a source for some of the details on the corporate history and the operations of the company's vessels.
In order to save space in our listing of owners, we have abbreviated the references to the Ontario Paper fleets. The references to Q&O will be obvious. O.T. & P. Co. refers to the Ontario Transportation & Pulp Co. A complete listing of owners for some of the older vessels is not available and we have, therefore, abandoned the numerical listing in these instances. We have not included chartered vessels such as GLENLYON and many subsequent ships that have been chartered in the course of their regular runs.