Friday, March 5th - Film Night. Paul Sherlock presents a program on the operation of the Seaway.
Friday, April 2nd - To be announced.
The Editor's Notebook
We would like to thank those members who have come forward to offer their services in presenting programs at our monthly meetings. The response is most encouraging. We would also like to hear from others who, while not able to actually lead a meeting, may have a novel idea for an interesting evening. Our February meeting, billed as a slide night, actually turned into one of the most enjoyable meetings we have had in that members were able to sit and talk and, as most shipping fans know, that can be a fascinating activity!
As many disappointed members have recently found out, our supply of back issues of our newsletter has been depleted by the heavy demand. In fact, we are completely sold out of several numbers. Your editor is currently looking into the possibility of reprinting those issues in an effort to fill all the requests we have had, and we will advise when the job is finished. Orders for back issues should be addressed to the editor.
We intend to regularly mention new members of T.M.H.S. in this space, and this month we extend a welcome to John H. Wilterding, Jr., of Algoma, Wisconsin. John is author of an excellent book entitled "McDougall's Dream - The American Whaleback". We are also glad to have with us Hal Jackson of Dearborn, Michigan.
It has now become evident that the recent revival of the American lake shipbuilding industry, with the building of the two ships now under construction at Erie, and the one at Lorain, is not a flash in the pan. The American Shipbuilding Company has announced that it will immediately begin construction of two self-unloading bulk carriers for the Kinsman Marine Transit Co., Cleveland. The ships will be 630 feet overall (610 B.P.), with a beam of 68 feet and a depth of 36 feet 11 inches. The ships, the first of which is to be delivered in 1973 and the second the following year, will have a capacity of 15,500 tons each on a mid-summer draft of 25'0". The carriers will be diesel stemwinders with the unloading boom mounted aft, a la CANADIAN PROGRESS, and will be used to carry ore to the Jones & Laughlin Steel Corporation's Cleveland works.
January 28, 1971, was a day of humiliation for the veteran Detroit River steam carferry HURON. At about 9:45 a.m., she was backing out of the Windsor dock in preparation for the crossing when the fuel line between the boilers and the tank car carried on deck (her source of bunkers) froze in the 9 below zero temperature. HURON lost her steam as a result, and began to drift downstream towards the carfloat MANITOWOC moored in the Norfolk and Western upper slip. The skipper of the C. N. propeller asked for assistance from the N&W tug P.A.JOHNSON, then bound light up the river, and in short order the wayward HURON was pushed alongside the C.N. dock. It took only a few hours to sort out the HURON'S problem, but we can imagine the embarrassment of the steamer's engine crew at having to be pushed by a diesel tug.
We have a new tanker on the Great Lakes. During the latter part of January, a, minor crisis developed on Pelee Island in Lake Erie when the Hydro service to the island was interrupted. Fuel oil was required for the operation of the island's generating plant and it was decided to carry oil in the extra fuel tanks of the tug AMHERSTBURG. She was escorted to her destination by the icebreaker N.B. McLEAN.
The Hall Corp. fleet will have been reduced by the sale of two ships prior to the beginning of the coming shipping season. We understand that SEA TRANSPORT is now being sold to Philippine buyers and that the RIVER TRANSPORT will shortly be transferred to the same owners who purchased GULF TRANSPORT last fall, Compagnia Armatoriale Siculo Adriatica. RIVER and SEA are both post-war salt-water-built three-island diesel ships of 309 feet, and have been only infrequent visitors to the lakes.
The longest lake shipping season ever recorded came to a close on January 29, 1971, as PHILIP R. CLARKE cleared the MacArthur Lock at the Soo bound for Lake Michigan. Two days earlier, CASON J. CALLAWAY had attempted to make it up for another cargo but was forced by heavy ice in the St. Mary's River to turn back and go to winter quarters at Milwaukee.
The ice in the St. Mary's River has also caused troubles for residents of Sugar Island in that the jam in Little Rapids Cut forced the cessation of service by our Superferry, the SUGAR ISLANDER. Normally, the cold weather produces an ice bridge at the head of the Cut and the swift water itself remains clear, but this season the late passages by ore carriers succeeded in keeping the ice broken up with the result the ice jammed the area from Lake Nicolet to the lower harbour at the Soo. During the ferry's inactivity, emergency service was provided by the U. S. Coast Guard tug NAUGATUCK.
The battle still rages in Michigan over the attempts by the Mackinac Transportation Co. to abandon its ferry crossing at the Straits. Lately, a number of the state's political figures have opposed the move, the latest in a series of efforts by the company to retire its veteran ferry CHIEF WAWATAM. So far, the "Big Chief" has withstood the onslaught, partially due to her capabilities as an icebreaker.
A recent humourous incident on Lake Erie undoubtedly caused a few gloomy faces in the U. S. Coast Guard when it was found that the MACKINAW, renowned for her feats in heavy ice was unable to get the best of the Canadian icebreaker N. B. McLEAN. Around the beginning of February, the U.S.C.G. tug OJIBWA became stuck off Long Point while on a trip to Buffalo. The McLEAN was called in and managed to push through with OJIBWA as far as Point Abino where she was stalled by pressure ridges as high as sixteen feet. When the McLEAN could go no farther, the MACKINAW was called in, but it was, discovered that she could do no better and, finally admitting defeat, she turned and headed back to Cleveland with OJIBWA trailing behind.
Speaking of ice, things have not been good on Lake Michigan during mid-winter. On a number of occasions, the U.S.C.G. has had to go to the aid of the various carferries and tankers as well as the auto carrier HIGHWAY 16.
At long last, the Bethlehem Steel Corp. has announced the name chosen for the new self-unloading bulk carrier nearing completion at Erie. The vessel, known previously as "Stubby" or Hull 101 for want of a name more appropriate, will be christened STEWART J. CORT in honour of a gentleman who served from 1928 to 1947 as manager of the Bethlehem plant at Sparrows Point and for the next ten years as Vice-President, Steel Operations, and a director of the company.
WOLVERINE passes PUT-IN-BAY in Lake St. Clair, June 23 1951. J. H. Bascom photo.Scrapping operations are progressing at Green Bay on the hull of WOLVERINE. Needless to say, she was not in particularly good condition after her years in the Roen bone-yard at Sturgeon Bay.
We understand that during January the Soo Line hauled a number of partially derailed railway cars across its bridge on the river at Manitowoc. As a result, the bridge needs major repairs and it would appear that all the ships moored upriver will be caught until repairs are completed. The job is expected to take until at least late March.
Some time ago, we reported that the Wilson Marine Transit's steamer A. E. NETTLETON was not expected to see further operation. However, it is now apparent that we will see her around for a few more years, but as a barge. The original plan of Wilson to convert a number of their vessels to barges seems to have reared its ugly head once more and it is understood that NETTLETON will be operated for Wilson by the Escanaba Towing Co., owner of WILTRANCO. The tug OLIVE L. MOORE will move over to the NETTLETON while a newly purchased salt water tug will have WILTRANCO this year. Strangely enough, the conversion of A.E.NETTLETON will be done at Port Colborne as soon as she can be moved there.
Towards the end of January, LANSDOWNE suffered her first major accident since the conversion to barge operation last summer. While being docked at Windsor by the tug AMHERSTBURG, she climbed up on the piling around the slip and severely damaged the overhang on the starboard side forward. At last report, Romeo's Machine Shop had removed a large section and was replacing the steel supports and the decking, as well as the fender strake.
The U.S. Steel ore carrier HOMER D. WILLIAMS, moored in Toledo for the winter, apparently suffered extensive damage to a section of her side plating on February 9 when welding torches set fire to a pile of tarpaulins in the hold. We understand that she will have to be drydocked for repairs.
Two new salt water ships will make their appearance on the Great Lakes during 1971. For the first time, a Polish fleet, Polish Ocean Lines, will serve our area, operating to Northern European ports. According to the "Cleveland Plain Dealer," the vessels concerned carry the unlikely names of ZAWIEROIE and ZAWICHOST.
We understand that the veteran Canadian Government steam tug HERCULES has been, or shortly will be, dismantled. Built in Toronto in 1906 by the Polson Iron Works Ltd., she latterly served extensively on Lake Erie and frequently laid up for the winter at Toronto. Her registry was closed on December 11, 1970.
Norgoma to the North Channel
For many years, the Owen Sound Transportation Co. Ltd. operated one of the most beautiful and yet little-known cruise services on the Great Lakes. Latterly served by the modern steamer NORGOMA, the route ran from Owen Sound to the Soo via the north side of Manitoulin Island, and included calls at such picturesque spots as Manitowaning, Little Current, Kagawong and Killarney. Unfortunately, the run was discontinued several years ago, and NORGOMA has concentrated her efforts on the Tobermory to South Bay Mouth ferry service.
Nevertheless, we have word that it will be possible to retrace this famous route for one last time. One of our members, Charles Bieser of Cleveland, has arranged for a charter of NORGOMA, now lamentably fitted with diesel power, and he advises that the ship will sail from Owen Sound late in the evening of June 20, 1971. She will proceed via the North Channel to the Soo, where a shore stop will be made. The ship will lock up to the Upper St. Mary's for a cruise to Whitefish Bay, and will then return to the Soo. She will follow the Outside Passage in Lake Huron and will call at South Bay Mouth. NORGOMA will then leave this latter port and await the subsequent departure of the steamer NORISLE on her regular afternoon ferry run. The two ships will follow a parallel course on the crossing for the benefit of photographers, and NORGOMA will then return to Owen Sound.
The entire trip will last three days. Stops at North Channel ports will naturally depend upon the condition of the various docks. We are told that the cost of the trip will be $170 per person, but only 60 passengers can be accommodated and interested parties are requested to reserve early, A $50 deposit will be required. The deadline is April 1st. Those wishing more detailed information on itinerary or other arrangements should contact Charles D. Bieser, 11720 Edgewater Drive, #419, Cleveland Ohio, 44107.
In last month's issue, we mentioned the sale of FIRBRANCH to Socodena Ltee. and enquired as to her present whereabouts. While we realized that the report of the sale was definitely belated, we were fishing for more details, and they have been provided for us by Rene Beauchamp of Montreal. Apparently, Socodena Ltee. runs a small breaking yard near Marine Industries in Sorel and FIRBRANCH was scrapped there over the winter of 1969-70.
We are still getting comments on our various fleet lists, and the latest comes from John Wilterding who has reported on the eventual end of the canal motorship EMPIRE STATE which was chartered by Q&O during the second war. Sold to the Honduras Shipping Co. of Puerto Cortes, Honduras, about 1950, or shortly thereafter, she was stranded at Walton, Nova Scotia, on June 17, 1953. She was refloated July 1st and was sold to the Patapsco Steel Co., at whose Baltimore yard she arrived on November 1953 for scrapping.
Ship of the Month No. 14 Spartan
In 1864, three years before Canadian Confederation, the "Royal Mail Line", as it was then called, was the primary company engaged in the Montreal to Toronto passenger and package freight trade. True, since 1857 the line had not carried Her Majesty's Royal Mail, but the Canadian Navigation Company kept using the old name until 1875. Trade was on the upswing and the company ordered a new vessel from the Gilbert Shipbuilding firm of Montreal.
Most of SPARTAN is seen leaving Alexandria Bay, N. Y., in this photo by William Notman.The new passenger and freight steamer was christened SPARTAN and was completed in time for the opening of navigation in 1865. She was an iron-hulled sidewheeler and was powered by horizontal engines. The hull had been fabricated in the Clyde, but was assembled in Montreal. She measured 179.8 feet in length, 28 feet in the beam and, with a depth of 11 feet, she possessed a gross tonnage of 1168. The vessel was assigned official number 122070.
SPARTAN arrived in Toronto for the first time on May 24, 1865, under the command of one Capt. Howard. The event was recorded the next day by the Toronto "Globe" -- "The splendid new steamer SPARTAN was in our harbour today and yesterday and was visited by a large number of our citizens. She is really a most beautiful vessel fitted up in cabin and saloon in the most gorgeous manner, with all the elegant finish of the tasteful artisan. Her machinery is of the most powerful and perfect kind, without the appendage of the ugly walking beam so frequent on our lakes....". On the reporter's assessment of the qualities of the beam engine we will make no comment!
In entering service, SPARTAN joined GRECIAN, KINGSTON, PASSPORT, CHAMPION, MAGNET and BANSHEE, the other steamers on the company's run. Unfortunately, it was not long before SPARTAN was involved in a rather serious accident. On August 27, 1865, she was running the Lachine Rapids when a steering failure caused her to ground in the Caughnawaga area. Fortunately, the passengers were all removed by canoes and chaloupes without loss of life, but it was only after strenuous salvage efforts that the steamer was hauled to safety. She was later repaired, damage having been light.
The next few years were relatively uneventful for SPARTAN. In 1870, she was commanded by Capt. Kelly and continued in the service for which she had been built, which then saw a steamer leave Toronto daily at 10:30 a.m. for Montreal via Charlotte, Oswego, Kingston, Clayton, Alexandria Bay, Prescott and Cornwall. Connections were made at Montreal with the "Richelieu Company's" steamers for Quebec. Over the winter of 1870-71, SPARTAN, along with her running mate CORINTHIAN of 1865, was refitted at Cantin's Drydock in Montreal. In line with her owner's efforts to reduce damage caused by strandings in the St. Lawrence River, both vessels had their iron hulls sheathed with wood. Interior renovations were also made.
In 1875 there came a major change, namely the amalgamation of the Canadian Navigation Co. and its fleet of eight steamers with the Richelieu Navigation Co. whose chairman was the famous Sir Hugh Allan. The new firm became known as the Richelieu and Ontario Navigation Co. Ltd., Montreal, and it continued to operate the Toronto to Montreal service, albeit on a less than successful basis primarily due to the fact that the small steamers were unable to handle the business that developed during the summer months. The R&O carried very little freight. SPARTAN continued on as always and, during the mid 1870's, was commanded by a Capt. Dunlop, her First Officer being a gentleman named Mr. Bush.
In the early 1880's, the Owen Sound Steamship Co. was formed to operate from Georgian Bay ports to Lake Superior in conjunction with the building of the C.P.R. transcontinental rail line. SPARTAN was chartered by the firm and served on the upper lakes until the fall of 1885 when she was wrecked on Caribou Island, Lake Superior. Salvaged, the steamer was taken to Detroit where she was rebuilt, and in 1886 she returned to her old Toronto-Montreal route. Her engines were evidently "compounded" in 1891.
SPARTAN maintained her old service until the new TORONTO and KINGSTON superseded the older vessels at the turn of the century. Thereafter, she served various routes operated by the R&O. The year 1905 saw SPARTAN taken to Kingston where she was lengthened to 200.2 feet. With her tonnage now shown as 1223 Gross and 607 Net, she re-entered service under the name BELLEVILLE. Five years later, she was the victim of another accident when, on November 12, 1910, she went ashore near Grafton, Ontario east of Cobourg. She was later salvaged and repaired at Kingston.
In 1913, BELLEVILLE went through the second corporate merger of her career, when Richelieu and Ontario was enlarged in the making of what became Canada Steamship Lines Ltd. By the following year, the little ship was beginning to show evidence of her fifty years. She was laid up and apparently partially stripped preparatory to being dismantled. However, on August 3, 1915, the venerable beam-engined ALEXANDRIA, then on the line's Montreal-Toronto-Hamilton package freight service, stranded in a storm on Toronto's Scarborough Bluffs and became a total loss. BELLEVILLE was reactivated to take her place and operated in a freight-only capacity.
During 1920, BELLEVILLE was once again rebuilt, this time having her passenger cabins removed entirely. Her tonnage was thus reduced to 639 Gross, 255 Net. Looking quite odd with her deck stripped bare except for the pilothouse and a small texas cabin, and still equipped with her 'tween decks, the veteran paddler plodded on until 1923. She was finally dismantled at Kingston in 1924, exactly sixty years from the time of her birth at Montreal.
Additional Marine News
It has been announced that the Davie Shipbuilding yard at Lauzon, Quebec, will construct three 80,000 deadweight tankers to the order of N. Yardinoyannis. To be delivered in 1972, the tankers will be powered by Sulzer diesels of 23,200 Braking Horsepower and will have a service speed of 16 knots. This order would seem to be going to keep the Davie yard busy for some time to come and we wonder whether Collingwood Shipyards may possibly pick up some of the overflow, as we understand that several other orders were pending at Davie.
We have learned that another fleet will be disappearing from the shipping scene come the beginning of the 1971 season. V. W. SCULLY and A. S. GLOSSBRENNER, the last two units of Pickands Mather's Labrador fleet, have been sold to the Algoma Central Railway and will henceforth carry the blue and white colours of the Algoma fleet. We understand that no new names are planned for the vessels.
Capt. James Foote And A Vanished Canal Fleet
WILIAM SCHUPP laid up in the Toronto Ship Channel. July 1938, J. H. Bascom photo.Our fleet for this month comprises the vessels managed, during a period beginning in the 1920's, by Capt. James B. Foote of Toronto. There were three components of the group: Union Transit Co. Ltd., an affiliate of the Toronto Insurance and Vessel Agency Ltd.; the Foote Transit Co. Ltd., owned by Capt. Foote himself, and the Lake Steamship Co. Ltd.
Union Transit named its ships in honour of various individuals connected with the firm. These included, in addition to Capt. Foote, David Blythe Hanna who was the first President of the Canadian National Railway Co. and a director of many companies including Canada Steamship Lines Ltd., William Schupp who was an executive of the Toronto Insurance and Vessel Agency, and George R. Donovan, the President of Union Transit Co. It is interesting to note that Mr. Donovan's son, George R. Donovan, Jr., was later President and Manager of Lakeland Tankers Ltd. of Toronto which operated LUBROLAKE and MAKAWELI.
The next last trip of the season bring GEO. B. DONOVAN, Capt. A. E. Laking, Master, to Toronto Elevators. November 1938. Bascom collection.Union Transit disposed of three vessels in 1939, all three later becoming war casualties, but remained a vessel owner until 1945 when the last remaining unit, WILLIAM SCHUPP, was sold to the Paterson fleet.
The single unit of the Foote Transit Co, Ltd. was named in honour of Capt. Foote's bank manager, Mr. F. V. Massey of the King and Victoria (Toronto) branch of the Bank of Nova Scotia. Foote Transit, following closely on the heels of Union Transit, left the ship ownership scene when it disposed of its vessel in 1946.
JAMES B. FOOTE is upbound at Galops in this Denno photo from the 1930s.The Lake Steamship Co. Ltd. was formed in 1931 when three sister ships, CEDARTON, BIRCHTON and OAKTON, were acquired from the Mathews Steamship Co. Ltd. of Toronto which was experiencing financial difficulties due to the Depression. The new concern lasted for seven years and passed out of existence in 1938 when the steamers were sold to the Gulf and Lake Navigation Co. Ltd., Montreal, R. A. Carter, Manager. The three were the only ships ever owned by the Gulf and Lake, although Mr. Carter had been active in other concerns.
UNION TRANSIT CO. LTD.
GEO. R. DONOVAN (39), (b) KENORDOC (I). Can. 147782. 1926 Furness Shipbuilding Co Ltd., Haverton Hill-on-Tees. 253.0 x 43.2 x 17.8. Gross 1780, Net 1280. Requisitioned for war service on salt water 1940. Sunk by enemy action in Atlantic, Sept 15, 1940. Owners: 1) Union Transit Co. Ltd. (1926-39). 2) Paterson Steamships Ltd., Fort William (1939-40).
JAMES B. FOOTE (39), (a) EUGENE C. ROBERTS (26), (c) PORTADOC (I). Can. 147246. 1924 Cammell, Laird & Co. Ltd., Birkenhead. 253.0 x 43.1 x 17.8. Gross 1746, Net 1246. Sunk by enemy action, April 4, 1941. Owners: 1) A. B. McKay, Hamilton, (1924-25). 2) Union Transit Co. Ltd., (1925-39). 3) Paterson Steamships Ltd., (1939-41).
D. B. HANNA (39), (b) COLLINGDOC (I). Can. 147780. 1925 Furness Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Haverton Hill-on-Tees. 252.5 x 43.2 x 17.8. Gross 1780, Net 1285. Requisitioned for war service on salt water 1940. Sunk by enemy action, July 13, 1941. Owners: 1) Union Transit Co. Ltd., (1925-39). 2) Paterson Steamships Ltd., (1939-41)
WILLIAM SCHUPP (45), (b) MONDOC (II), Can. 160713. 1928 Furness Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Haverton Hill-on-Tees, Hull 138. 252.5 x 43.3 x 17.8. Gross 1779, Net 1285. Operated during war years by Paterson, primarily on Goderich grain service. Retired 1960. Scrapped at Deseronto, Ont., 1961. Owners: 1) Union Transit Co. Ltd., (1928-45). 2) Paterson Steamships Ltd. (later N.M.Paterson & Sons Ltd.) (1945-61). 3) S. Spiegel Ltd. (1961).
WAHCONDAH (64), (b) ALALC. Can. 102577. 1903 Russell & Co. Ltd., Port Glasgow, Scotland, Hull 509. 230.4 x 37.1 x 21.8. Gross 1575, Net 976. Sold off lakes 1917. Returned 1922. Supposedly to be renamed AHERN COASTER 1955 but never made official. Taken to Gulf of Mexico in early 1960's. Laid up New Orleans 1964. Later operated in Mexican waters. Scrapped in Mexico 1968. Owners: 1) Canadian Lake Line, (R. O. & A. B. McKay), Hamilton (1903-11). 2) New Ontario Steamship Co. Ltd., Inland Lines Ltd., (R.O. & A. B. McKay and Jas. Playfair), (1911-13). 3) Canada Steamship Lines Ltd., (1913-17). 4) Hartlepool Seatonia Steamship Co. Ltd., (Hessler & Co., Mgrs.), West Hartlepool, England (1917-20). 5) Williams Bros., Cardiff, Wales, (1920-22). 6) A. B. McKay, Hamilton (1922). 7) Capt. James B. Foote, (Union Transit Co. Ltd.), 1922-25). 8) Wahcondah Steamship Co. Ltd., (Abitibi Navigation Co. Ltd.), Toronto (1925-55). 9) Benjamin Newman, St. Catharines (1955). 10) Ahern Shipping Ltd., (S. Ahern & B. Newman), Montreal (1955-64). 11) Aceitera y Transportadora Continental de Puerto Mexico, S.A. (1964-68).
Union Transit steamers had black hulls, white cabins, and black stacks. The funnels originally carried a white monogram incorporating the letters T.I.V.A. The letters were soon changed to U.T.Co., also in white.
FOOTE TRANSIT CO. LTD.
F.V.MASSEY. Can..160720. 1929 Smith's Dock Co. Ltd., South-Bank-on-Tees, Hull 873. 253.0 x 44.1 x 10.6. Gross 1895, Net 1190. Retired 1961. Scrapped at Montreal 1962. Owners: 1) Foote Transit Co. Ltd. (1929-46). 2) Mohawk Navigation Co. Ltd., (R.A.Campbell, Mgr.), Montreal, (1946-62).
Foote Transit used the same livery as Union Transit except that the monogram on the stack was a large white "F".
LAKE STEAMSHIP CO. LTD.
BIRCHTON. Can. 147893. 1924 A.McMillan & Son Ltd., Dumbarton, Scotland, Hull 489. 250.0 x 43.2 x 15.5. Gross 1732, Net 1006. Deepened to 20.4 by Muir Bros. Drydock Co. Ltd., Port Dalhousie, 1950. Gross 2047, Net 1389. Retired 1961, Taken to East Coast 1964 and partially stripped in preparation for conversion to a 175 foot floating drydock. Conversion not completed due to company's insolvency. Towed to Halifax for scrapping 1968. Owners: 1) Mathews Steamship Co. Ltd., Toronto (1924-31). 2) Lake Steamship Co. Ltd. (1931-38). 3) Gulf and Lake Navigation Co. Ltd., Montreal (1938-62). 4) Century Metals & Equipment Co Ltd., Ville St. Pierre, Que. (1962-63). 5) Bathurst Marine Ltd., Bathurst, N.B. (1963-68).
CEDARTON. Can. 147891. 1924 A.McMillan & Son Ltd., Dumbarton, Hull 488. 250.1 x 43.2 x 15.5. Gross 1732, Net 1005. Deepened to 20.5 at Lauzon. Que., 1951. Gross 2009, Net 1407. Retired 1961. Scrapped at Montreal 1962. Owners: 1) Mathews Steamship Co. Ltd. (1924-31). 2) Lake Steamship Co. Ltd. (1931-38). 3) Gulf and Lake Navigation Co. Ltd. (1938-62). 4) Century Metals & Equipment Co. Ltd., (1962).
OAKTON. Can. 147857. 1923 A.McMillan & Son Ltd., Dumbarton. 250.0 x 43.2 x 15.5. Gross 1727) Net 1001. Torpedoed and sunk in the St. Lawrence, 15 miles west of Cape Gaspe, by U-517, September 7, 1942. Three lives lost. Owners: 1) Mathews Steamship Co. Ltd., (1923-31), 2) Lake Steamship Co. Ltd., (1931-38). 3) Gulf and Lake Navigation Co. Ltd. (1938-42).
This company also used the same colour scheme except that the stacks were painted black with two orange bands, an apparent adaptation of the Mathews design.
All vessels of the three companies were steel-hulled, and with the exception of a 'tween deck package freighter, all were bulk carriers. All were powered by triple expansion machinery.
An interesting point in connection with JAMES B. FOOTE is that she was originally christened EUGENE C. ROBERTS and served A. B. McKay under that name for two seasons. However, to the best of your editor's knowledge, no photograph of her as ROBERTS has ever been found. We would be pleased to publish such a picture if it should ever be located.