Friday, October 1st - To be announced,
Friday, November 5th - Annual Autumn Dinner Meeting. Speaker will be Robert J. MacDonald of Erie, Penna., who will speak on Great Lakes Shipwrecks.
The Editor's Notebook
Earlier in the year, we advised of upcoming postal rate increases and, as most readers will know, the first has already been made, with the second coming at the new year. Production costs have increased, particularly in connection with our photo pages. These two considerations have led your Executive to approve an increase in annual membership dues to $7.00 per person, but this was not done without a certain amount of regret. We disapprove of joining the inflationary cycle, but we have committed ourselves to a policy of never holding the line by reducing the quality of our product, the newsletter. We trust that our actions will meet with your approval.
Speaking of memberships, dues for the upcoming season should be sent to our Treasurer as soon as possible so you won't miss any future issues.
In the New Member Department, a welcome goes out to Robert J. Peppard of Manitowoc, Wisconsin.
For a number of years, we have been working on a comprehensive listing of ships that have operated on the Toronto Island ferry service. It includes about a hundred vessels and, since the same steamers ran a number of different routes, it gives a good cross-section of steamboat activity on western Lake Ontario. The history could be serialized over several future issues, well illustrated, and we solicit your opinion.
Dowager Queen of lake bulk carriers MAUNALOA II passes down the Welland Canal for the last time, June 16, 1971. Skip Gillham photo.It seems that lake shipping enthusiasts are always looking to the past for the high points of their interests the "lasts" always seem to get more attention than the "firsts". For example, when a couple of fans get together, conversation seems to run to the ending of a certain passenger service or the last voyage of a particular vessel. This was amply illustrated at the time of the retirement of the veteran ONTADOC in 1970. Now we must report another "last" but this is perhaps the most notable bulk carrier retirement that we have announced in these pages. In the month of June 1970, the veteran laker MAUNALOA II came due for her four-year inspection. Her owners, Upper Lakes Shipping Ltd., Toronto, managed to obtain a one year extension of her certificate. The steamer was fitted out at the beginning of the current season and fought her way out of the Georgian Bay ice to take up her usual grain run to Goderich, In May, rumours began to circulate concerning her future and finally the company notified its customers that the ship would be retired and her place taken by THORNHILL. The old vessel cleared Thunder Bay on June 11 with her last cargo, grain destined for Toronto. She stopped at Sarnia where one hold of grain was unloaded and replaced with beans. She passed down the Welland Canal on June 16 and arrived early the next morning at Toronto Elevators where she was unloaded. At 7:15 p.m. on June 18, she left her dock and cleared Toronto by the Western Gap, her supply of bunker coal almost exhausted and all four automatic stokers inoperative. MAUNALOA proceeded to Hamilton where she laid up at Strathearne Terminals. We understand that a sale to United Metals is in the works. MAUNALOA II (the numeral was added when she came into Canadian registry) was an 1899 product of the Chicago Shipbuilding Co. and was, to the best of your editor's knowledge, the last of the unrebuilt nineteenth century straight-deck bulk carriers. In addition, she was the last lake-operating survivor of the fleet built by her first owner, the Minnesota Steamship Co. She was truly the dowager queen of the bulk carriers and our feelings on her retirement could not be summed up better than by a comment passed by one of our members whose interest lies mainly in salt-water tonnage: "Any vessel that sails for seventy-two years really deserves recognition." Ave atque vale, MAUNALOA.
It is unpleasant work reporting casualties, especially when loss of life is involved, but it is part of our job. On the morning of June 24, fire broke out in the stern section of the almost-completed ROGER BLOUGH lying at the Lorain yard of the American Shipbuilding Co. Fed by bunker oil placed in the vessel in preparation for her sea trials, the fire burned well into the next day before it could be completely extinguished in the cramped machinery spaces. Four shipyard workers were killed in the blaze and severe damage was caused to the ship's engines and plating. A lengthy period of reconstruction will be required before the BLOUGH can once again be readied for her entry into lake service and her debut will not likely occur before 1972. It is interesting to note that one of our members, John Vournakis of Sault Ste. Marie, had been assigned to the new vessel as watchman.
Three more units of the American lake fleet will be modernized according to a recent announcement by the Columbia Transportation Div., Oglebay Norton & Co. The flagship EDMUND FITZGERALD as well as the ASHLAND and FRANK PURNELL will be converted from coal to oil fuel and the latter will also receive deck strapping designed to increase her draft. Work on the first two will be done by Fraser Shipyards, Superior, while the PURNELL will get the treatment at Cleveland.
Several lake carriers, listed as idle at the beginning of the navigation season, have now returned to service, FRENCH RIVER was fitted out in May by Canada Steamship Lines and the Kinsman Marine Transit Co. has brought out KINSMAN VOYAGER. In addition, A. E. NETTLETON of the Wilson fleet has entered service as a barge under charter to the Escanaba Towing Co. and is being pulled by the tug LEE REUBEN, brought into the lakes from the coast early in the spring. A towing rig made to fit the bow of the tug has been placed on the NETTLETON's stern. No changes were made to the steamer other than the removal of her propeller, in case her owners should decide to reactivate her as a self-propelled unit. The vessel was drydocked and inspected at Port Weller and passed back up the Welland Canal on May 29.
The sale of the third veteran Republic Steel steamer to the Kinsman fleet was made final in May when ownership of SILVER BAY was transferred. She was placed on drydock at Lorain where a large number of bow plates were replaced.
One of the better known salt water vessels trading into the lakes, the TRANSPACIFIC, operated by Poseidon Linien on its liner service for a number of years, became a total loss by stranding on May 17. Bound out from the lakes, the vessel grounded on the island of St. Pierre, a French possession on the Canadian east coast, and was abandoned on May 24 after being pounded by heavy swells. TRANSPACIFIC, with a length of 387 feet, was built in 1954 by Lubecker Flenderwerke A.G., Lubeck, and was a sister of TRANSATLANTIC, severely damaged by collision and fire in the North Atlantic several years ago, and subsequently scrapped at Sorel. Loss of the TRANSPACIFIC leaves POSEIDON herself as the sole remaining conventionally constructed unit of the fleet trading to the Great Lakes.
The Bethlehem Steel Corp. has announced that a new stack marking will be adopted for its lake fleet. The stacks will be black with a buff band similar to the colour now used for the lower portions of the funnels. Above and below the band will be a narrow white band and superimposed on the buff section will be the Bethlehem insignia, a white hexagon and a black I-beam. STEWART J. CORT will carry the new colours this season, but other units of the fleet will not be altered until next winter.
The fish-processing barge ZENAVA caught fire and foundered on April 28 off Newfoundland's Burin Peninsula, while under tow. Owned by Fishery Products Ltd., St. John's, Newfoundland, the vessel had been used for the better part of a decade at various ports around the Island province, but was better known to lake fans in her former role as REDFERN, one of the canal-sized "Red Barges" operated latterly by the Beaconsfield Steamship Co. Her loss was attributed to striking a reef, but we wonder why her tugs would take her near shoal water and how her fish became inflammable. ......
The veteran Canadian self-unloader STONEFAX of the Hall Corporation was sold late in May to United Metals of Hamilton. Resold almost immediately to European scrappers, she was towed from Hamilton on May 28 by the tugs SALVAGE MONARCH and DANIEL McALLISTER. At Quebec, she was taken over by the Polish tug JANTAR and cleared on May 31 in tandem with ALEXANDER LESLIE, the latter steamer having lain at Quebec since her retirement in December 1969.
In an effort to avoid another ice situation such as that which developed on the lakes this spring, the U.S. Coast Guard has announced that the polar icebreaker EDISTO will come up the Seaway this autumn and will be permanently based during the winter months at Milwaukee. The vessel will return to salt water each summer for duty elsewhere.
On June 28, WESTERN SHELL was towed from the Toronto Ship Channel by the Port Colborne tug HERBERT A. Although we had been given to understand that the tanker would be operating under her own power, she was, at last report, being towed about the St. Clair and Detroit Rivers by HERBERT A., the steamer having been renamed ALFRED CYTACKI for her new duties.
In our last issue, we reported that GROVEDALE had reached the end of her operating career and that she would soon be sold for scrap. On June 30, the tugs LAC MANITOBA and ARGUE MARTIN came down from Hamilton and towed the old steamer out of Toronto via the Eastern Gap, depositing her at Hamilton where she now awaits her fate. It is to be assumed that she will be towed overseas.
Speaking of Hamilton, the wrecking crews there disposed of the remains of RIVERSHELL and BAYGEORGE during the spring and early summer. This means that the backlog of work at the United Metals yard has now disappeared.
It has been reported that the former Halifax bunkering barge I.O.L. BARGE 6 has been sold to Dartmouth Salvage Ltd. for scrapping. This venerable tanker, which at one time served on the lakes, was replaced recently by the IMPERIAL CORNWALL which was herself replaced at the end of last year by the newly-built IMPERIAL DARTMOUTH.
During the month of June, IMPERIAL CORNWALL was sold by Imperial Oil Ltd. to Penn Shipping Ltd., Toronto, a firm headed by one Robert Penn, Guelph. She operated for a short time under her old name but was soon renamed GOLDEN SABLE. By early July, however, the operation of the canal-sized tanker ground to a halt as a result of a writ of seizure, issued on behalf of the ship's crew, and claiming back wages in the amount of $15,162.14. Most of the crew returned to Halifax, but several men remained aboard the tanker which was anchored in Montreal harbour. Hardly an auspicious start for a new service.....
It seems that U.S. Steel Corp. is still considering a move of its operating headquarters, Great Lakes Fleet, from Cleveland to Duluth. The transfer has been rumoured for a number of years and some estimate that it nay now take place as early as this autumn.
In our April issue, we included in the excerpts from D.O.T. reports the notation that the new C.P.R, ferry for the Bay of Fundy service had been named PRINCESS OF NEW NOVA. This was such a strange name that many of us doubted its authenticity. We have now seen photos of the new vessel, now in service, and it is evident that she was christened PRINCESS OF ACADIA (II). The previous vessel on the run, PRINCESS OF ACADIA (I), has now reverted to her previous name, PRINCESS OF NANAIMO, under which she operated on the west coast, and is currently laid up at Saint John, N. B. At one time, it had been rumoured that she would be brought to the lakes for the Tobermory-South Bay Mouth ferry service of the Owen Sound Transportation Co., but nothing has ever come of this suggestion.
Several lake fleets are known to be in the market for new tonnage, among them being the Cleveland-Cliffs Steamship Co., which will soon be hauling the ore for Republic Steel, and the Inland Steel Co. which has been receiving help by means of additional tonnage from the Escanaba Towing Co. Nothing definite has been forthcoming from any of the operators involved, but there is a possibility that Inland may get CHARLES M. BEEGHLY next year from Interlake and that HARRY COULBY nay go to Cliffs from the same fleet. This will bear watching.
The struggle by Michigan residents and officials to keep the veteran steam carferry CHIEF WAWATAM operating on the Straits of Mackinac rail service continued. The latest disagreement came over whether the service would be maintained by tug and barge during the drydocking of the regular steamer which had been scheduled for July. The Mackinac Transportation Co. had reportedly been anxious to discontinue service during the period, but a ruling by a U. S. District Judge prevented this course of action.
The U.S. Post Office decided earlier this year to maintain the Detroit River Postal Station, operated by the mail boat J. W. WESCOTT. The service had been scheduled to cease on June 30 due to its cost, but pressure from a number of politicians brought the Post Office to reconsider the abandonment.
From salt water sources comes word that the Moore-McCormack passenger liners ARGENTINA and BRASIL, built in 1958, have been sold to The Holland America Line subject to the approval of the U.S. Government. In keeping with the current trend in American passenger operations, both ships have laid up since 1969. We understand that disapproval of the sale has been voiced by U.S. maritime unions which would rather see the ships laid up under American registry than operating under a foreign flag and manned by foreign crews! As a result of this purchase, one of the orders for new tonnage recently placed by Holland America has been cancelled and only one new ship will be constructed.
The Norwegian American Line has sold its 1956-built BERGENSFJORD to the French Line to replace ANTILLES, lost recently by stranding and fire. BERGENSFJORD will make her last trip for her old owners in September and will then take up Caribbean cruising for the C.G.T.
At Trieste, reconstruction is progressing on FAIRWIND and FAIRLAND, the former Cunard liners CARINTHIA and SYLVANIA. now owned by Sitmar Line, They will be completely unrecognizable when conversion work is finished. The latter ship will be renamed FAIRSEA for the Los Angeles to Australia service.
Who says Our Shipyards are Busy?
In the past few months, our lake shipbuilders have stopped crying the blues over a lack of business and right now they are chortling over the orderbooks. On both sides of the border, the yards are busy and will be so for quite a while to come. Before you get too carried away with enthusiasm, however, cast your eye on the following news item.
"The shipyards of the Great Lakes have 71 vessels under construction for 1907 delivery, of which 45 are bulk carriers, 4 are passenger steamers, 4 are package freighters, 5 tugs, 2 dredges, 2 carferries, 5 scows, 3 hopper barges and one quarantine steamer. Of these 45 bulk freighters, to which the greatest interest attaches because the ore trade is the dominant trade on the lakes, 30 are building in the yards of American Shipbuilding, 9 by Great Lakes Engineering Works, 3 by Toledo Shipbuilding, 2 by Collingwood Shipbuilding Co. and one by the Canadian Shipbuilding Co."
Our yards will have to go some to equal that list of orders. By the way, how many readers will be able to identify the four passenger vessels on the ways during the early part of 1907?
The quotation was taken from the January 3, 1907, issue of the "Marine Review," a Cleveland journal.
The June meeting of the Steamship Historical Society of America, held at Tobermory, was a great success and we were pleased that so many T.M.H.S. members were in attendance. A very good address was given by Alan Howard and the trip on NORISLE to South Bay Mouth was extremely interesting. Members had free access to both Pilothouse and Engineroom and were made most welcome by Capt. R. E. Tackaberry and his crew. It has been many a year since most of us have had a chance to spend a night aboard a lake passenger steamer, and a hand-fired one at that!
A repeat of the weekend at some future date would be most welcome.
Sidewheels on the Hudson
We suppose that, to most people, the mention of a steamboat conjures up visions of a stately and speedy excursion vessel, possibly a sidewheeler, with broad decks and lots of cabin space surrounded by glass, which existed only on hot Sunday afternoons and which carried throngs of city folk to the local amusement park. This idea must, we are sure, be held by, thousands of city residents to whom the local excursion steamer was the only ship they ever rode on, or possibly ever saw.
Each major city situated on lake or river had its local version. To Torontonians, it was the mighty beam-engined CHIPPEWA or latterly the CAYUGA; to Buffalo, it was CANADIANA or AMERICANA; to Chicagoans, it was CHRISTOPHER COLUMBUS, and to the holiday crowds in Detroit, it was the "Glass Hack," TASHMOO, But the times have changed and sweltering city denizens now look elsewhere for amusement! Parks are now places to get to in the family auto and the thought of going by boat does not enter the mind. And well it might not, since the change in travel attitudes has spelled the end for the large excursion steamer. Here and there we find a little diesel tourist boat, or a ferry being used in the excursion trade, but CHIPPEWA and her kind have passed from us.
Well, almost, that is. In one of the most unlikely places, there still operates an example of what older folk remember with nostalgia and what their children do not really comprehend. Yes, ALEXANDER HAMILTON is alive and well and living in New York City, This beautiful, big paddler still runs daily cruises up the Hudson River during the summer months and, we might add from experience, does not suffer from a lack of patronage.
The HAMILTON is now owned by Circle Line Sightseeing Yachts Inc., a most unattractively named company that runs tours of New York harbour and which, several years ago, purchased the last remains of what was generally known as the Hudson River Day Line. Still operating under the Day Line name, ALEXANDER HAMILTON is the last remnant of a fleet that included such notable sidewheelers as MARY POWELL, ALBANY, NEW YORK, ROBERT FULTON, HENDRICK HUDSON, the ill-fated WASHINGTON IRVING and a number of propellers, the last of which was PETER STUYVESANT. The HAMILTON herself was built in 1924 by the Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp. at Sparrows Point, Maryland. She measures 338.6 feet in length, 77 feet of beam over the guards, and 13.6 feet in depth. Her sidewheels are driven by triple expansion engines having cylinders of 36 1/2, 56 and 85 inches and a stroke of 72 inches, and fed by two single-ended and two double-ended oil-fired Scotch boilers. Her wooden superstructure accommodates four passenger decks.
Each day, shortly after 10:00 a.m., ALEXANDER HAMILTON pulls away from Pier 81, North River, located at the foot of West 42nd Street, and heads upstream. The first stop about two and a half hours distant, is Bear Mountain, the site of a popular state park. The ship fan who, until this landing has had to bear hordes of screaming children, the roar of transistor radios, and the general crush of bodies, will find things much easier past Bear Mountain as the best part of the mob will have rushed ashore, eager to commence the job of filling the park with tons of litter. The steamer continues upstream for another half hour and then calls at West Point, the location of the famous military academy. After a short pause, she departs for a leisurely cruise to Poughkeepsie and back, the stop at this port having been discontinued after the unfortunate disintegration of the wharf some years ago. The ship, after picking up the hordes again at West Point and Bear Mountain, makes her way downstream, arriving back at New York shortly after 7:00 p.m. Considering the distance travelled and the length of time spent aboard, we would class the $5.50 round trip fare to Poughkeepsie as a great bargain and one not to be missed by visitors to New York City.
The ship herself is, of course, the highlight of the trip, although the scenery along the river is very beautiful. Our readers would probably spend most of the trip standing around the engine pit watching the machinery in action. Like most sidewheelers, her engineroom is completely open to view. The cabins are, for the most part, devoid of anything interesting, being completely empty save for folding chairs and tables. Twelve parlours are available for those who wish private accommodation. The cabins do contain some old paintings but the years have not treated them kindly, nor have thousands of grubby hands. Generally speaking, the ship's woodwork is in excellent condition. The most interesting part of the upperworks is the pilothouse with its huge nameboard and the massive pilotwheels, kept as standby in case of failure of the steam steering gear.
Passengers desiring good food aboard ALEXANDER HAMILTON will have to bring it with them, as dining facilities leave much to be desired. The beautiful diningroom, located aft on the main deck, with its huge observation windows and gold trim, has deteriorated to a grease joint, the like of whose food and service your editor has never seen and never wishes to see. This can, however, be excused up to a certain point because of the masses of people carried, making gracious dining an impossibility.
All in all, the HAMILTON is well worth a trip to New York, but you had better make it soon! The Day Line has ordered and will soon take delivery of a diesel powered abortion to be christened DAYLINER. She is allegedly intended to replace the venerable steamer and the HAMILTON is said to be headed for retirement after her last sailing of the season on Labour Day, The company has refused to commit itself on this point in view of the good business enjoyed by the operation, and it is still possible that the ship will be retained. Nevertheless, being of wood above the main deck, she cannot last forever and maintenance will some day reach the point where cost will dictate a retirement, even if the ship survives the upcoming crisis.
If retired, ALEXANDER HAMILTON seems headed for the South Street Seaport museum development, but think how much better it would be to see her in operation now. Where else in 1971 can you get a nine hour ride on a steam powered sidewheeler?
Listed are salt water ships which have traded into the lakes along with some former names under which they may have appeared in these parts.
AFRICAN PRINCE (PINEMORE), 3597, 1955, British. Sold within Britain.
ANASTASIA (BROOMPARK), 7965, 1959. Greek. Sold Cypriot.
ANNE, 10190, 1958. Norwegian. Sold Mainland Chinese.
AROMA (ANGLIAN), 2214, 1947. Panamanian. Sold within Panama, renamed FROMA.
ATHELDUKE, 11102, 1968. British, Renamed ANCO DUKE.
ATHELKNIGHT, 11096, 1968. British. Renamed ANCO KNIGHT.
AZURE COAST II (MANCHESTER REGIMENT), 7638, 1947. Cypriot. Sold to Singapore buyers.renamed PU GOR.
BEAVEROAK, 6165, 1956. British. Lengthened and converted to container ship, 7105 Gross, Renamed C. P, AMBASSADOR.
BRISTOL CITY, 5728, 1959, British. Sold Greek, renamed AGELOS GABRIEL.
DEA BROVIG, 10917, 1951, Norwegian. Sold Cypriot.
BURRARD, 9251, 1956. Norwegian. Sold within Norway, renamed TERNEFJELL.
BYKLEFJELL, 6531, 1952, Norwegian. Sold within Norway, renamed CURLING.
CAPE RONA (RONACASTLE), 12234, 1962. Norwegian. Renamed RONACASTLE.
CECILIENNE (CECILIENNE MARIE), 489, 1939. Canadian. Sold within Canada; renamed MARINE TRADER.
CONCORDIA LOUD (LORD VIKING), 5010, 1960. Norwegian. Sold Panamanian; renamed LORD VIKING, then HORIZON.
CRYSTAL CROWN, 8671, 1957. British. Sold Liberian; renamed PEARL ASIA.
DAGFRED 10108, 1953. Norwegian. Sold Cypriot; renamed APOLLONIAN.
EBBA (ELSIE WINCK), 2555, 1955. West German. Sold Greek.
ELIN HOPE, 9139, 1961. Norwegian. Sold Somalian; renamed FUCHUNKIANG.
FIDELITY R. (CORONA SUNVALLEY), 4885, 1949. Liberian. Sold within Liberia; renamed CHIK CHAU.
GAELIC PRINCE (MINA, PRINS WILLEM V), 1938, 1956. Greek. Renamed MINA.
ILIAS (BALLYGALLY HEAD), 959. 1954. Italian. Renamed ILO.
IRIS (MARANON, DUNKERY BEACON), 8479, 1959. Greek. Sold Cypriot.
IVINGHOE BEACON, 9646. 1954. British. Sold Cypriot; renamed GEORGIOS T.
JUNA (CORNWALL), 6796, 1952. British. Sold to Taiwan breakers.
KENTUCKIAN (TRANSCAPE), 9637, 1945. American. Sold Panamanian; renamed OSSIA,
LARA VIKING (SVANEFJELL), 3875. 1962. Norwegian. Renamed CONCORDIA LARA.
LEARINA, 5104. 1958. West German. Sold Liberian.
LISBOA, 2434, 1950. West German, Sold within West Germany.
MANCHESTER COMMERCE, 8724, 1963. British. Sold Somalian; renamed BER SEA.
MANCHESTER FAITH, 4411. 1959. British. Sold Liberian; renamed ILKON TAK.
MANCHESTER FAME, 4412, 1959. British. Sold Liberian; renamed ILKON NIKI.
MANCHESTER MILLER, 8378. 1959. British. Converted to container ship, 10149 Gross; renamed MANCHESTER QUEST.
MARIA FAUSTA (MARIA FAUSTA G.) 2095. 1950, Liberian, Sold within Liberia.
MEDIA, 5149. 1963. British. Sold Australian.
MONTCALM, 6950. 1960. British. Transferred to Italian subsidiary; renamed CAPO SAN MARCO.
NARCEA (ULYSSES), 8608. 1942. Liberian. Sold to British breakers.
OLAU GORM, 4687. 1952. Danish. Sold Greek; renamed SANTA EXDOCIA.
OLAU JARL, 3054. 1964. Danish. Sold Singapore; renamed NEPTUNE BERYL.
LUDOLF OLDENDORFF, 2388, 1952. West German. Sold Italian.
PARTHIA, 5149. 1963. British. Sold Australian.
PATRAIC SKY (DOVE), 7172. 1943. Liberian, Sold to Yugoslav breakers.
AUD PRESTHUS, 4998. 1953. Norwegian. Sold within Norway.
PRODROMOS VITA (KUNGALAND), 7721. 1951. Liberian. Sold within Liberia; renamed BERYL.
KONSUL RETZLAFF, 1599. 1964. West German. Sold British; renamed NORSTONE.
STE MARGUERITE, 411. 1944. Canadian. Sold within Canada.
SCHERPENDRECHT, 9505. 1955. Dutch. Sold Cypriot; renamed NIKE.
ELISABETH SCHULTE, 2285. 1956. West German. Sold Liberian,
SCOTIA, 5354. 1966. British. Sold Singapore; renamed NEPTUNE AMBER.
SONIA D. (ELISE MARIE, MONROE), 371. 1936. Canadian. Sold within Canada.
SOULA (ARNFINN STANGE), 10164. 1953. Liberian. Renamed OROUTSA.
SPARTO (CAPTANTONIS), 9460, 1957. Greek. Sold Somalian; renamed SAPPHIRE.
TAKESHIMA MARU, 8853. 1952. Japanese. Sold Cypriot; renamed MY.
THESSALY, 7299, 1957. British. Sold Far Eastern.
TRISTAN, 4714. 1956, Swedish. Sold Cypriot; renamed MIMI M.
TSUNESHIMA MARU, 9357. 1953. Japanese, Sold Cypriot; renamed JUNE.
VICTORIAN MARIE, 754. 1948. Canadian. Sold within Canada.