Friday, January 7th - Paul Sherlock presents an illustrated program on the problems of navigation in last winter's ice conditions.
Friday, February 4th - Thomas E. Appleton, Marine Historian of the Canadian Department of Transport, will give an illustrated address.
Our December meeting was another open slide night and we were treated to some excellent colour photography. At this meeting we also discussed the problem of planning programs which will appeal to all members. Your Executive expressed a desire for help in this regard and Messrs. Gordon Turner and "Scotty" McCannel volunteered to serve on a meeting committee which will eventually be expanded by the addition of at least one more person. Although we do have a number of programs tentatively scheduled, we should like to have, or perhaps we should say that we must have your suggestions for the future if we are to continue holding monthly meetings. All members who intend to come to any of our meetings are requested to write the committee (in care of the editorial office if they wish) giving their thoughts on the subject.
The Editor also requested the assistance of members in suggesting items which they would like to see appearing in the newsletter. This applies particularly to fleets or individual ships to be studied. Contributions of articles would also be much appreciated so that your Editor may have more time to work on features for future publication.
A very warm welcome goes out to the most recent addition to our membership roll, Richard T. Nicholls who is currently serving with the U. S. Coast Guard on Governors Island, New York.
Several issues ago we reported that the Q & O fleet, or to be more precise, Comet Enterprises Ltd., was intending to dispose of its flagship THOROLD for scrap because of extensive repair work needed by the vessel. The steamer was a 1917 product of the Lorain yard of the American Shipbuilding Co. and was built according to the Isherwood design which called for longitudinal rather than transverse side framing. Her tender age of fifty-four had led us to believe that she could not possibly be beyond economical repair, but the ship was indeed sold to Marine Salvage Ltd, in late autumn. She passed down the Welland Canal on December 12th with her last cargo, grain for Prescott, and then headed back up Lake Ontario. She entered the Canal upbound on December 17th and laid over for the night at her owner's dock in her namesake town. On the morning of the 18th, she continued on up the canal and put herself to rest for the last time in the scrapping berth in Ramey's Bend. An interesting problem developed when it was found that she was drawing too much water for the entry into the old channel and she grounded hard on the bar across the mouth. Some furious pumping out of ballast finally lightened her enough to get her across, THOROLD is one of the few vessels that have sailed into Ramey's Bend in recent years under their own power. We shall hope against hope that some other operator will purchase her and sail her out again.
Newest unit of the Hall Corp. fleet, SEA TRANSPORT (II) turns in Oshawa harbour, December 1971. Photo by Judge Lloyd K. Graburn.Earlier in the year we mentioned that the Hall Corporation was intending to dispose of its small coastal tanker SEA TRANSPORT. It has now been confirmed that the vessel was sold to the Luzon Stevedoring Corp. of the Philippine Islands and has been renamed LSCO PETROPARCEL. To replace her, Halco has purchased from the Olau Line A/S of Copenhagen, Denmark, the 1966-built tanker OLAU MARK which has since been renamed SEA TRANSPORT (II). A product of the Burntisland Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., the new ship measures 339'0 x 47'6 x 26'11 and her tonnage is 3884 Gross, 1919 Net.
In the December issue, we reported that G. G. POST had arrived at Port Colborne en route to Hamilton for scrapping. Our news item was written while the ship was still in Port Colborne Harbour. Nevertheless, as many readers will be aware, she did not make a complete transit of the canal, being moored instead at Ramey's Bend. It is not yet clear whether Marine Salvage Ltd, will dismantle the craneship there or resell her for breaking up elsewhere.
Speaking of Marine Salvage Ltd., it has now been confirmed that this firm was the purchaser of ONTADOC when she was retired in 1970. As of the beginning of December, the vessel was still lying at Sorel along with CREEK TRANSPORT and GEORGE M. CARL. The latter vessel was still listed as a unit of Scott Misener Steamships Ltd. at the end of the month of September.
During the past autumn, the Abitibi Paper Co. Ltd. sold its 1938-built tug NIPIGON to one J. Reid of Sarnia. The only difficulty was that the tug was on Lake Nipigon and had to be lifted from the water and transported by trailer to the waters of Lake Superior. She has since been moved to Sarnia where she is to serve in the general towing business.
The United States Coast Guard has recently been testing a hovercraft to assist in winter navigation and in search and rescue missions. Stationed at St. Ignace, the machine has been nicknamed "Old Frisbee" by its crew. The hovercraft got off to an inauspicious start on her new service, however, when she sank in 100 feet of water in northern Lake Huron on November 23, 1971. The U.S.C.G. has not let this accident alter plans for the vessel and, at the time of writing, salvage operations were underway.
It has become evident that the two east coast carferries completed by Port Weller Dry Docks in the Spring of 1971 were actually renamed at a very early stage. While we had known no other names for the pair than VACATIONLAND and HOLIDAY ISLAND, the names given them in the christening ceremonies, they appear to have been laid down as THOMAS HAVILAND and WILLIAM POPE respectively. Congratulations should go to whoever saw fit to give them something other than "people names."
Back in 1966, the Canada Steamship Lines package freighter BATTLEFORD was sold to Nassau interests and left the lakes. She entered service as (c) REAL GOLD and has seen only intermittent use since. Recently she was sold by Bahamas Package Carriers Ltd. to Antilles Lines Ltd., another Bahamas firm, so it appears that another operator is taking a turn at trying to operate the vessel in the Caribbean, a trade for which she certainly was never designed.
Last issue we reported the sale of the Ulster Steam Shipping Co.'s vessel ROONAGH HEAD for scrapping and we may now report that she arrived at the breakers' yard at Castellon, Spain, on September 14, 1971.
During the Second War, it was not an uncommon occurrence to hear that a salt water vessel well known on the lake trade had been sunk by enemy action. Fortunately, such reports have not been forthcoming in recent years due to a generally peaceful state on the shipping lanes. However, one such news item did cause considerable shock recently. On December 8th, 1971, the British motorship HARMATTAN of the Gowland Steamship Co. Ltd., London, which had spent considerable time on the lakes during 1971, was discharging cargo in the West Pakistani port of Karachi. An Indian gunboat began shelling the port and HARMATTAN was hit by some sort of missile. The vessel was burned out and seven crew members lost their lives.
Minor grounding incidents occur with such regularity on the lakes that they are seldom worth reporting. However, when a vessel manages to go aground twice on the same voyage, interest is aroused. On December 5th, the Paterson motorship LAWRENDOC was upbound in the St. Mary's River en route to the Algoma steel plant at Sault Ste. Marie Ontario. She found the bottom in the Middle Neebish Channel but was able to free herself after a short time with no damage. She proceeded up through Lake Nicolet and Little Rapids and locked up to the Lake Superior level. While approaching the Algoma dock, she grounded once again, apparently on Vidal Shoals. Again, damage was minimal.
At the time of writing, scrapping operations were proceeding rapidly on the remains of MAUNALOA II at Hamilton. As of mid-December, only the tank top was left from the forecastle back, but the bow was still intact including the bridge structure.
HENRY R. PLATT JR. and GROVEDALE were loaded with stone brought from Port Colborne by HOCHELAGA during late November and have now been sunk in Hamilton Harbour across the end of the Stelco property. The hulls are still readily identifiable and are slightly deeper in the water than they would be if operating at mid-summer draft. The ships are placed stern to stern, with PLATT facing roughly easterly and GROVEDALE towards the west.
By Christmas, all of the Cleveland offices of the U.S. Steel Great lakes Fleet had been closed down and moved to new quarters at Duluth. The move will put operating departments closer to the company's sphere of operations.
In the December issue we speculated that major machinery work would be done on A. H. FERBERT this winter while she is tied up at Bay City, Michigan. It was subsequently announced by U.S. Steel that she would be converted to oil fuel and given automated boiler controls.
The Bethlehem Steel Corp. has let it be known that the new STEWART J. CORT will not be put into any sort of operation for the company until at least next spring. The company has refused to accept delivery of the vessel until her builders, Erie Marine Inc., make satisfactory alterations to several systems which have yet to satisfy Bethlehem management. At one point, observers had hoped to see the ship in operation as early as last August but the numerous delays have threatened to postpone her entry into service so many times that ROGER BLOUGH might just beat her to it!
Step by step, the once-proud sidewheel carferry LANSDOWNE is being reduced to little more than a scow. Previously she had, of course, lost her pilot house and stacks so as to make her more suitable for the barge service. During October her bridge structure itself was removed and cut up for scrap making her hardly recognizable.
On November 30th, while sixteen miles off Muskegon on Lake Michigan, the Grand Trunk carferry MADISON ruptured a steam line. The steamer, helpless in the eight-foot seas, called for help as it was feared that serious damage could result should any of her railway cars break loose. The call was answered by the U.S.C.G. cutters ARUNDEL and WOODBINE and by other assorted rescue craft. With their assistance temporary repairs were completed and MADISON was able to make Muskegon harbour safely.
It has been announced that Litton Great Lakes Corp. has let a contract to the Defoe Shipbuilding Co., Bay City, for construction of the bow section of Hull 102, the self-unloading barge currently being built at Erie, Pennsylvania by Litton's subsidiary, Erie Marine Inc. The bow section will be 68 feet long.
The salt water freighter SINGAPORE TRADER, which had been aground in the St. Lawrence near Clayton since October 15th, was finally released on November 28th and taken to Ogdensburg, New York, for Coast Guard inspection. The job was being rushed along to make sure that the vessel would be able to clear the Seaway before it closed for the winter. Strangely enough, the McAllister tug DANIEL McALLISTER, which had helped to free the ship, and which was on the way from Kingston to Ogdensburg to assist in towing SINGAPORE TRADER out of the Seaway, herself grounded 2 1/2 miles upstream from Calumet Island on December 7th. She was freed on December 9th.
One of the most important historical discoveries of recent months has been the finding by divers of the hull of the three-masted schooner ROUSE SIMMONS in Lake Michigan off Rawley Point, Two Rivers. The vessel is lying in about 180 feet of water. ROUSE SIMMONS has, over the years, become a lake legend and is familiarly known as "The Christmas Tree Ship." Built in 1868, she vanished on the storm swept lake late in November 1912 with a cargo of Christmas trees bound for Chicago. Her entire crew went with her to the bottom. The hull is apparently in tolerably good condition and the divers presented the remains of one of her Christmas trees to officials of a Milwaukee bank that features a painting of the ship on its cheques.
An unusual visitor to our harbour recently was V.W. SCULLY of the Algoma Central fleet and her cargo was just as unusual - - sugar for the Redpath plant at the foot of Jarvis Street. The sugar plant had been shut down for the entire autumn as a result of labour troubles and at least five salt water vessels with sugar cargoes had to be diverted to other ports. The SCULLY apparently loaded at the Redpath plant in Montreal, arriving in Toronto on December 8th. Unloading took four days. Lake ships have unloaded at Redpath's very infrequently and most such shipments were in canallers before the opening of the Seaway permitted the passage of larger ships. If we remember correctly, the last laker to unload there was the barge M.I.L. 495 (formerly FAIRMOUNT) which brought in a lightered cargo in November 1963.
The new C.S.L. self-unloader NEKOUBA was successfully launched at Collingwood on Thursday, December 16th, 1971. The only difficulty is that NEKOUBA is not her name! Two days before the launch, it was decided that the ship should be named in honour of C.S.L.'s current Board Chairman and accordingly she was christened J. W. McGIFFIN.
We have learned that the new Branch Lines tanker currently under construction at Sorel will be named ARSENE SIMARD. It is presumed that the vessel will be generally similar to LUDGER SIMARD.
Ownership of the bulk carrier WILLIS B. BOYER was officially transferred from Pickands Mather (Interlake Steamship Div.) to Cleveland Cliffs on December 20th, 1971.
The BOYER has been owned by P.M. and chartered to the Republic Steel Corp. since 1969. The Republic colours will not disappear from the lakes, however, as was previously believed. The three "red tomatoes," THOMAS F. PATTON, TOM M. GIRDLER and CHARLES M. WHITE, have not been sold to Cleveland Cliffs but only obtained by the fleet under a twenty year bareboat charter. It is understood that they will retain the Republic livery.
It has been reported that the Hall Corporation has plans to convert the lengthened and deepened canaller ROCKCLIFFE HALL (II) to a tanker over the winter. The vessel, a motorship built in 1958 at Levis, has seen only limited service during the last few years as a result of decreasing demand for bulk carriers of her size.
Listed are salt water ships which have traded into the lakes along with former names under which they may have appeared in these parts. We do not include every former name and only show the most recent flag flown.
AFRICAN PRINCE (PINEMORE), 3597, 1955. British. Sold within U.K., renamed MALDIVE MAIL.
ALPHA (TAPPUZ), 5099, 1954. Panamanian. Sold within Panama.
ANIK (GHISLAIN , GHISLAIN MARIE), 1134, 1949. Canadian. Sold to Cayman Islands, renamed MAYA.
ATHELCROWN, 11149, 194-9. British. Sold to Spanish breakers.
AUGSBURG, 2741, 1952. West German. Sold Hungarian, renamed TISZA.
BARBARA, 4410, 1953. West German. Sold Panamanian, renamed ZENO.
ELISABETH BERGER, 3696, 1954. West German. Sold Panamanian.
MATHILDE BOLTEN, 12012, 1961. West German. Sold Greek, renamed SCAPHILL.
DEA BROVIG, 10917, 1951. Norwegian. Sold Cypriot, renamed JAN-JAN.
CITTA DI BEIRUT (PRINS WILLEM IV), 1534, 1944. Italian. Sold Cypriot, renamed TREMCO SUN.
EBBA (ELSIE WINCK), 2555, 1955. West German. Sold Greek.
ERATO, 2274, 1957. German. Sold Indian, renamed SALEEMA.
ETEOKLIS (ALGENIB), 5574, 1937. Greek. Sold Cypriot.
FEDERAL TYNE (SCOTTISH TRADER), 11563, 1962. British. Sold Panamanian, renamed FEDERAL SALSO.
GOTHIC PRINCE (PRINS WILLEM II), 1965, 1955. Greek. Sold within Greece, renamed XENY.
GRAND STATE (MARGARET BOWATER), 6481. 1955. Liberian. Sold to Taiwan breakers.
HORIZON (CONCORDIA LORD, LORD VIKING), 5010, 1960. Panamanian. Sold within Panama.
JACARANDA (MALAGA, AUGUST SARTORI). 1591, 1953. Greek. Sold within Greece but stranded to a total loss 40 miles from East London, September 18th, 1971.
JALAVIHAR, 7179, 1955. Indian. Sold Greek, renamed MARILION.
JEAN L. D., 7109, 1957. French. Sold Greek, renamed ION.
KAIYO MARU, 3529, 1958. Japanese. Sold Greek, renamed BALTIC KLIF (and since traded into lakes.)
KYONAN MARU, 2703, 1966, Japanese. Sold Greek, renamed STEELY CARRIER (and since traded into lakes).
KYOYO MARU, 2456, 1966. Japanese. Sold Greek, renamed STEELY RUNNER (and since traded into lakes).
LEADA, 5251, 1961. West German. Sold Israeli, renamed LEORA.
LEARINA, 5104, 1958. West Gorman. Sold Liberian, renamed LAMDA.
LOWS L. D., 7109, 1957. French. Sold Greek, renamed LILY M.
MATA (LINGESTROOM), 748, 1947. Greek. Sold Cypriot, renamed TREMCO UNITY.
MERLIN, 7235, 1945. Greek. Sold to Mainland Chinese breakers.
MIMI M. (TRISTAN), 4714, 1956. Cypriot. Sold Italian.
NEPTUN, 4386, 1952. West German. Sold Liberian, renamed NEPTUN D.
DORA OLDENDORFF, 3807, 1954. West German. Sold Greek, renamed ANNA B.
GEBE OLDENDORFF (DIONE), 1528, 1940, West German. Renamed MAGNET.
LUDOLF OLDENDORFF, 2388, 1952. West German. Sold Italian, renamed CAPITANO VITO.
ORIENT LINER, 7787, 1945. Greek. Sold to Taiwan breakers.
ORIENT TRANSPORTER, 5684, 1949. Greek. Sold to Turkish breakers.
ORNEFJELL, 4973, 1955, Norwegian. Sold within Norway.
OSSIA (KENTUCKIAN, TRANSCAPE), 9637, 1945. Panamanian. Sold to Taiwan breakers.
ANNA PRESTHUS, 10139, 1958. Norwegian. Sold Greek, renamed GREEN PARK.
PROSPERITY (PRINS ALEXANDER), 2280, 1947. Greek. Sold within Greece, renamed IOANNIS.
SAN ANTONIO (MANCHESTER_PIONEER), 2929, 1952. Greek. Scrapped.
ELISABETH SCHULTE, 2285, 1956. West German. Sold Liberian, renamed ST. HELEN.
HERMANN SCHULTE (ADOLPH GLEUE), 1963, 1953. West German. Sold Greek, renamed ALEXIS G.
LUCIE SCHULTE, 1592, 1954. West German. Sold within Germany, renamed TEVEGA, then sold Cypriot.
MARIA ANNA SCHULTE, 1870, 1958. West German. Sold within Germany, renamed TEHONGA, then sold Cypriot.
SKAUMA., 1962, 1957. Norwegian. Sold Panamanian.
SOLMICH (K..C. ROGENAES), 5220, 1943. Norwegian. Sold to Taiwan breakers.
STAVROS T. (CATE BROVIG), 10407, 1952. Greek Sold Cypriot.
STOLT AVENIR (AVENIR), 8029, 1949, Italian. Renamed AVENIR S.
STOLTENHORN (GEHEIMRAT SARTORI), 1522, 1951. West German. Sold Cypriot, renamed SEA ROVER.
STOLT LADY (STOLT DAGALI, DAGALI), 12632, 1954 & 1955. Norwegian. Renamed LIDO. This ship was created in 1965 by joining the stern of the tanker C. T. GOGSTAD to the bow of the tanker STOLT DAGALI which had been cut in two in a collision with the liner SHALOM.
TRANSGERMANIA., 8684, 1954. West German. Sold Pakistani, renamed MALAM JABBA.
VICTORIAN MARIE, 754, 1948. Canadian. Renamed BLANC SABLON.
WEISSENBURG, 2818, 1953. West German. Sold Panamanian.
For those who may have wondered, these listings are made up from material appearing in such publications as "The Shipping World and Shipbuilder," and the World Ship Society's "Marine News." Space limitations force us to be very brief and readers should bear in mind that these items may not be as up to date as could be hoped.
Ship of the Month No. 18
Gardenia by Skip Gillham
Fred Sankoff caught GARDENIA upbound near Homer on April 24, 1960.The wanderings of the salt water visitors to our Great Lakes are often difficult to trace. Some make but one visit to the lakes in their lifetime, while others may ply the inland seas for a number of years. Recently some information about the former Stag Line steamer GARDENIA came to light that might be worth sharing since that vessel was a regular trader to the lakes from 1959 to 1963.
GARDENIA was one of the oldest ships to enter the lakes after the opening of the St. Lawrence Seaway in 1959. She was classed as a traditional three-island tramp ship of single deck construction and had her engines located amidship. GARDENIA had two holds and hatches forward of the bridge, one hold and hatch between the bridge and engineroom, and two holds and hatches aft of the engineroom.
The vessel was launched in 1930 by the Northumberland Shipbuilding Co. Ltd. at Newcastle-on-Tyne, England, as Hull No. 427. She measured 377 feet in overall length (364.8 registered), 50.9 feet at the beam and 24.9 feet in depth. Gross tonnage was registered at 4,125 tons while her net was 2,643 tons. Her carrying capacity was 6,485 tons at a mid-summer draft of 22'6 1/2". She was christened BRIARWOOD (III) and entered service for the Constantine Shipping Co. Ltd. of Middlesborough, England. In 1932 her ownership was transferred to the Joseph Constantine Steamship Line Ltd. This company was no stranger to the Canadian service. Its vessels called regularly at Montreal and several small ships traded into the lakes prior to the opening of the Seaway.
The pressures of World War II taxed the entire United Kingdom whose shipping industry was faced with the task of supplying the homeland and supporting allied nations. In 1941, Hitler turned his forces to the Russian front and, to assist the defence of Russia, Britain and her allies sent convoys of merchant vessels guarded by naval escorts to the northern Russian ports of Archangel on the White Sea and Murmansk on the Barents Sea. These supply-carrying convoys began in August of 1941 and this ship, still called BRIARWOOD, had the dubious honour of taking part in the first convoy as well as many subsequent northern voyages. Miraculously escaping the violent destruction that was the fate of so many of the vessels participating in the disastrous Arctic convoys, she remained on this hazardous route until the spring of 1943 when she was transferred to other service.
After the war, BRIARWOOD was purchased by the Stag Line Ltd. of North Shields, England. They had originally planned to rename her ZINNIA, but on December 13, 1945, she was officially renamed GARDENIA. All Stag Line vessels are named for various types of flora. (interestingly enough, another ship named ZINNIA was to become a running mate for GARDENIA on the lakes service). The steamer was given the traditional Stag Line colours, dark red stack with a black top superimposed on which was a large white stag in very intricate detail.
The propulsion for the vessel was supplied by a North Eastern Marine triple expansion engine with cylinders of 23, 38 and 65 inches and a 42-inch stroke. It produced an indicated horsepower of about 1500 and a speed of 9 1/2 knots while laden with 17 tons of fuel oil. Originally her two main Scotch boilers were coal-fired. Each boiler measured 15'3" by 11'6" and was fired by four furnaces. One Scotch donkey boiler was also installed. During 1947-48, she was reconditioned and converted to oil fuel. Her donkey boiler was removed at that time.
When she returned to service, GARDENIA traded on the North Atlantic. Her most frequent cargo was timber which she carried back to the United Kingdom, GARDENIA occasionally ventured to the Caribbean and to the Mediterranean during these years. From 1952 to 1954, GARDENIA carried coal from Sydney, Nova Scotia, and newsprint from the St. Lawrence down to the U.S. Gulf area. In 1955 she served mainly in the bulk sugar trade from the Caribbean to Britain and the United States, Between 1956 and 1959 she spent most of her time carrying grain from Eastern Canada to the U.K. During warmer months she entered Hudson Bay to load at Churchill, Manitoba. In almost all of these voyages, she would make the outbound trip to North America in ballast.
In preparation for the beginning of Seaway navigation, GARDENIA and CAMELLIA, another Stag Line vessel, were chartered for grain from the lakes and were the first British owned ships to be chartered for direct grain shipments from the Great Lakes to the United Kingdom. The charter agreement was signed on November 12, 1958.
During her five seasons of Great Lakes trading, GARDENIA made seventeen trips through the Seaway. She ballasted into the lakes on three occasions, brought in steel beams once, potash once, and fluorspar on the balance of her voyages. Outbound, she carried scrap on one occasion, the remaining cargoes consisting of grain including wheat, barley, corn and flaxseed.
In 1964, Stag Line sold GARDENIA to Amfitriti Cia. Nav., Panama, who renamed her AIS NICOLAS. She was sold early in 1967 to Astrosplendor Cia. Nav., also of Panama, and continued to operate until the fall of 1968 when she encountered boiler trouble while under way on the Persian Gulf, on a voyage from Assab. She arrived in tow at Suez on August 31, 1968. On October 20th, while repairs wore apparently under way, fire broke out in the engineroom and she suffered very extensive damage. Her remains were sold and apparently broken up in 1969 for scrap.
Much of the above information was kindly supplied by Nicholas J. Robinson, a director of the Stag Line, to whom we are indebted for his assistance.
Last month, in our feature on the Kirkwood operations, we mentioned that the final disposition of the steamer GREYPOINT was not known. We have been advised by member Dan McCormick of Massena, New York, that a ship of the sane name and similar tonnage was being pursued by the U. S. Coast Guard on the east coast during the Twenties, presumably after she left the lakes. It seems the vessel was being used as a rum runner under the temporary name of ECONOMY. The U.S.C.G. finally captured her one night as she was trying to slip into New York harbour under cover of darkness. They apparently ran her on Robbins Reef, preventing her escape.
Late Marine News
It has been confirmed that the CHRIS M. - ALFRED CYTACKI combination is now being operated by Blue Water Towing Co. Ltd. whose head office is shown as Sombra, Ontario, although control rests with one John Emig of St. Clair, Michigan. Mr. Emig will be remembered for his involvement with Midlake Steamship Line and Jemmig Enterprises Ltd. in the early 60's, having operated the canallers H. J. McMANUS and WALLACEBURG.
Elsewhere in this issue we reported the sale of two Hall Corporation vessels to a consortium of contractors, for use in the removal of dredgings from the lower St. Lawrence River. We now learn that a third ship is involved. The Irving interests of St. John, N. B., have confirmed that they sold the former Canada Cement self-unloading bulk cement carrying steamer BULKARIER in October 1971 to the McNamara - Porter - Marine Industries group. It had earlier been reported that BULKARIER had been sold to Irish interests but the ship obviously did not cross the Atlantic and had apparently reverted to Irving ownership.
More information is now available concerning future construction at Collingwood Shipyards. Hull 200 will be a self-unloading bulk carrier for Algoma Central. Hull 201 and 202 will be twin tugs of 1000 HP each for Marine Industries and are intended for service at Sept Iles, Quebec. No contract has yet been signed for Hull 203 but this is rumoured to be another self-unloader for Canada Steamship Lines.
Contrary to earlier reports, C. W. CADWELL was not converted to oil fuel while undergoing repair at Kingston last year. Instead she will get the treatment this winter while laid up at Port Dalhousie.
The Columbia Transportation Division straight deck bulk carriers JAMES DAVIDSON and J. CLARE MILLER, currently idle at Toledo, Ohio, have apparently been stripped of certain navigational equipment and have had their cabins sealed. A sale to scrappers would appear imminent.
C. H. J. Snider
It is with great regret that we must report the death at Toronto on December 12th, 1971, of C. H. J. Snider, one of this area's best known marine historians.
Mr. Snider, who was in his ninety-second year, had been associated with the "Evening Telegram" for the better part of his life, having served the paper for over six decades. His highest position was that of Managing Editor and he also was a trustee of the estate of John Ross Robertson, the Telegram's founder. In addition, he was the author of many books, including seven on early lake shipping, and was an accomplished marine artist.
C. H. J. Snider will, however, be best remembered for his weekly column "Schooner Days" which ran Saturdays in the Telegram for more than a quarter of a century beginning in 1931. In it, he described in vivid detail the lake shipping scene of the late nineteenth century, touching on both sail and steam, and drawing on experience gained from his own years of service aboard such sailing vessels as the ALBACORE and the famous STUART H. DUNN. He wrote in a familiar and warm style that still can hold one's interest no matter how many times he is read.
With his death, we have lost a great figure in our field of interest. It is to be hoped that all our members may some day have the opportunity of reading some of his works.
Lakes and St. Lawrence Navigation Co. Ltd. A Fleet List
At Cardinal, Ontario, downstream on the St. Lawrence from Prescott, is located the plant of the Canada Starch Co. Ltd. Today, most of the corn brought to the starch mill by water arrives in the small motorships of the Paterson fleet, but it was not always so.
In fact, at the time of the company's formation, Cardinal was not even known by that name. The town was called Edwardsburg and the firm was known as the Edwardsburg Starch Co. Ltd. Although much corn has been brought to the mill over the years in chartered bottoms, the company has ventured into the ship operating business at various times.
In 1904, the company purchased its first vessel, the wooden sidewheeler MAYFLOWER. She was renamed CARDINAL and served for seven years, apparently in transfer service as she was far too small to operate on a long haul. For a short period during the early years of the century's second decade, Edwardsburg Starch operated the schooner barge FLORA CARVETH, also presumably in some sort of transfer service. Upon the retirement of CARDINAL in 1911, the company purchased the typical wooden lake bulk freighter RALPH T. HOLCOMB and this steamer served well for a period of twenty years.
CASCO is shown downbound at Port Weller, November 21, 1954. J. H. Bascom photo.By the mid-Twenties, the company had become known as the Canada Starch Co. Ltd., Montreal. It had become obvious that more modern means of transporting the corn from the upper lakes would be needed and a subsidiary company, Lakes & St. Lawrence Navigation Co. Ltd. was formed to operate the new steamer CASCO which had been ordered from a British shipyard. Her name, of course, was an abbreviation of the parent company's name.
The colours under which the earlier vessels operated are not known, however CASCO, for her entire career with the company, wore a black hull with white forecastle rail, white cabins, and a buff stack with a black smokeband and a green ball on which appeared in buff the letter "C". The same circle and "C" appeared in buff and green on the bow below the ship's name.
The company's venture into ship owning ended in 1955 when CASCO was sold to N. M. Paterson & Sons Ltd., Fort William. Thereafter, chartered tonnage was used exclusively.
CARDINAL, (a) MAYFLOWER (04). Can. 92681. Wooden sidewheel steamer built 1875 at Montreal. 118.0 x 23.6 x 9.8. Gross 392. Acquired by company 1904. Retired 1911. Subsequently sold to Alphonse A. Larocque, Montreal, and cut down to barge, 238 Net. Operated by Sincennes MacNaughton Lines Ltd., Montreal. Out of documentation by 1918.
FLORA CARVETH, Can. 71167. Two-masted schooner built 1873 at Mill Point, Ont., by William Jamieson for Joseph Carveth. 115.0 x 23.5 x 8.9. Net 190. Rebuilt 1882. Latterly used as tow barge. Owned in 1911 and at least through 1914 by John McLellan, Bowmanville, being operated by Edwardsburg Starch Co. Ltd. Owned 1918 by William Q. Stobo, Quebec.
RALPH T. HOLCOMB,(a) ISAAC LINCOLN (05), U.S.?. Can. 116400. Wooden steamer built 1898 at Marine City, Michigan. 133.5 x 30.2 x 9.2. Gross 375, Net 165. Owned 1902 by Price Lumber Co., Freemont,Ohio. Sold Canadian 1904. Purchased by Edwardsburg Starch 1911. Rebuilt 1921. Retired c.1930 and abandoned near mill at Cardinal where remains lie buried.
CASCO (55), (b) THORDOC (II)(62), (c) CHEMBARGE NO. 2. Can. 160046. Steel bulk carrier built 1927 as Hull 670 by Earles Shipbuilding & Engineering Co. Ltd., Hull, England. 252.7 x 43.2 x 17.8. Gross 1831, Net 1153. Last operated as steamer 1961. Stripped of cabins and machinery winter 1961-62 at Humberstone and used as barge for several seasons. Used to form part of last owner's dock at Point Edward, Ont., 1966. Hull still visible. Owners: (l) Lakes & St. Lawrence Navigation Co. Ltd.,(1927-55). 2) N. M. Paterson & Sons Ltd. (l955-6l). 3) Marine Salvage Ltd. (1961-62). 4) Tank Truck Transports Ltd.. Sarnia (l962- on).