Friday, November 3rd - 8:00 p.m. A tour of the Canada Centre for Inland Waters, Burlington, Ontario, with a slide presentation and address by Mr. Antony R. Kirby, head of the Public Relations unit. More details below.
Friday, December 1st - 8:00 p.m. at the Museum. The Editor will present a program on the Great Lakes railroad carferry.
PLEASE NOTE; After the first meeting this autumn, we shall no longer be sending postcards to announce meetings, due to rather unreasonable delays on the part of the Post Office in delivering such cards. All meetings will be announced well in advance on the front page of this publication.
The Editor's Notebook
For the benefit of those wishing to attend the November meeting, the Canada Centre for Inland Waters is located just off the Burlington Beach Road immediately west of the lift bridge over the Ship Canal. Those who do not have transportation should notify the Executive either at the October meeting or by writing in care of the Editorial Office so that we may make the necessary arrangements for cars. There is, of course, no cost for the tour.
MEMBERSHIP FEES ARE NOW DUE and should be sent direct to the Treasurer, James M. Kidd, 83 Humberview Road, Toronto 9, Ontario. Fees are $7.00 per annum and should be remitted in Canadian Funds wherever possible since we lose a substantial sum on each American cheque by the time the bank charges the exchange rate and a service charge. : All members: should note that THIS IS THE LAST SCANNER THAT WILL BE SENT TO THOSE WHO HAVE NOT RENEWED THEIR MEMBERSHIP.
CORRECTION: It has been brought to our attention that the report in this column in the Summer issue to the effect that Inland Steel had ordered two 1000-foot vessels from Bay Shipbuilding Inc. was in error. No such contract has been signed and we thank the two members who were able to obtain definite confirmation for us. We regret any difficulties our earlier report may have caused.
The Metropolitan Toronto Parks Committee voted on September 7th to allot the sum of $250,000 for the repowering of the Island ferry SAM McBRIDE over the coming winter months. The 1000-passenger double-ender has been the backbone of the ferry fleet since her construction in 1939 but in recent years her aging Fairbanks diesels have been causing considerable difficulties. It has not yet been announced where the work will be done but it would seem probable that Erieau might be the location since that was the site of the repowering job done on the older (1935) WILLIAM INGLIS several years ago. We understand that the Parks Committee is also considering doing the same work on the third of the big ferries, THOMAS RENNIE (1951) during the winter of 1973-74.
The veteran whaleback tanker METEOR arrived in tow at Superior, Wisconsin on September 11th, having been towed from her lay-up berth at Manitowoc. The 1896-built tanker will be refurbished as a marine museum at the American Lakehead.
The Roen Steamship Company has sold its cranebarge LILLIAN to Bay Shipbuilding Inc., for use as a floating crane to assist in the repairing of ships in drydock at Sturgeon Bay. The LILLIAN's last assignment under Roen ownership was in connection with the construction of the Detroit water intake in Lake Huron north of Sarnia, although for many years she was used in the pulpwood trade. LILLIAN was built in 1910 at Cleveland as the railway carferry MARQUETTE & BESSEMER 2 (II).
We have learned that the canal tanker GOLDEN SABLE, (a) ACADIALITE, (b) IMPERIAL CORNWALL has been sold once again, this time to the mayor of Louiseville, Quebec. She was towed from Montreal on August 12 by the tug R. F. GRANT, but we have yet to learn what her new owner plans to do with her.
The Hall Corporation of Canada has made another purchase, this vessel being the 550-foot salt water bulk carrier FREJA, formerly owned by the Dover Navigation Company Ltd. and registered at Monrovia. FREJA was built in 1958 by Canadian Vickers Ltd. at Montreal and traded into the lakes under the name (a) AVERY C. ADAMS under the colours of the Wilson Marine Transit Company. She was subsequently sold and has since operated on salt water (and occasionally into the lakes) as (b) CYPRESS and (c) UNION. At the time of writing, the vessel was bound into the lakes on her first trip for Halco, having been renamed (e) SCOTIACLIFFE HALL. She will be operating mainly on fresh water in the future.
The steam tug SIR HUGH ALLAN, retired from National Harbours Board duty in Montreal several years ago, apparently sank at her berth at Sorel, Quebec, during the spring months and has not been raised. Her future does not look promising.
We have been given to understand that there is a very strong possibility that the Algoma Central Railway may soon be renaming its motorship A. S. GLOSSBRENNER, purchased last year from the Labrador Steamship Company Ltd.
The 1914 built steel steam tug TWIN PORT which has been lying at Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, for over a year, and which has been purchased by Alexander B. McLean (of A. B. McLean & Sons Ltd.), has been stripped of her cabins and machinery. These items were removed intact and have been placed in the new historical site located opposite the head of Little Rapids Cut, in Belleview Park.
The canal tanker TRANSBAY is inbound at Toronto's Eastern Gap in this Sept. 8, 1957 photo by J. H. Bascom.The small canal tanker TRANSBAY of Transit Tankers & Terminals Ltd., Montreal, used latterly as a bunkering vessel after her days as a regular lake tanker were ended, loaded liquified asphalt at Montreal in early August this year for delivery at Havre St. Pierre. She departed in tow of the J. P. Porter Construction Company tug JAMES WHALEN. On August 7th, while in the vicinity of Sept Iles, the cable parted and, for some unexplained reason, the TRANSBAY capsized and sank. The 196.8-foot steamer was built in 1912 at Manitowoc and had served as (a) E. GUNNELL, (b) PETER KOENIG and (c) AMHERST prior to taking on her last name when she was converted to a tanker in 1943 at Port Dalhousie. In prior years, she had served as a sandsucker.
It has been announced that Imperial Oil Limited signed a contract on June 15, 1972, with Port Weller Dry Docks Ltd. for the building of a tanker which is designed to be a replacement for the aging IMPERIAL SARNIA. The vessel will be generally similar in appearance to IMPERIAL BEDFORD but will have several improvements in her design, including the installation of small revolving rubber wheels on her sides instead of the traditional wooden fender strakes. The new ship will be scheduled for delivery on November 30, 1973, and her owners hope to operate her through the St. Mary's River and canal as late as they can during the 1973-74 winter season.
We hear that a small bunkering tanker named GRINDSTONE ISLAND is now working for the Consortium Ile d'Orleans on the North Traverse dredging project. The vessel is a barge and we wonder whether this can possibly be the rather elderly I.O.L. BARGE 6, formerly the Imperial Oil bunkering vessel at Halifax. The BARGE 6 was retired several years ago when the new IMPERIAL DARTMOUTH was commissioned. BARGE 6 had seen many years of service on the lakes under her original name, SO. Co. No. 41.
The diminutive tanker HUSKY 120 has been a feature of the Soo, Ontario, harbour for a number of years now as she has lain below the locks deteriorating as the years passed. During the late 50's and early 60's, HUSKY 120 was used as a bunkering vessel in the harbours at Port William and Port Arthur, but had since been idle. She has now been bought by Harry G. Gamble of Port Dover, Ontario, who intends to use her for cleaning up oil spills and other such duties. HUSKY 120 (she will not be renamed) cleared the Soo under her own power on August 20th.
Marine Salvage Ltd., Port Colborne, has sold two of its old hulls for operation in the Mediterranean, apparently under Turkish ownership. ONTADOC, which had lain at Sorel since her retirement in 1970, and G. G. POST, most recently one of the inmates at Ramey's Bend on the Welland Canal, cleared Sorel, Quebec, under tow on September 19th bound for a Turkish port. Bearing in mind the condition of POST, one wonders whether she will ever see the sunny Mediterranean.
It appears that the tug and barge combination currently building at Erie Marine Inc. will not be ready for delivery until at least July 1973, much to the pleasure, no doubt, of the many ship fans who are somewhat less than anxious to see the commissioning of the 1000-foot barge.
The lightship HURON, formerly stationed in lower Lake Huron about ten miles from the mouth of the St. Clair River, and retired from active service in 1970, has made her last trip to a permanent berth at Port Huron's Pine Grove Park. Following her retirement, HURON had been moved by the United States Coast Guard to a lay-up berth at Detroit. She was returned to a berth beside the Michigan National Bank Building in the Black River at Port Huron in 1971 when the city finally gained ownership of the ship after much hard work by a citizens' committee which wrested her from the grip of the city of Grand Haven, Michigan, which had received a prior promise of the vessel. On August 29th, 1972, the tugs TIPPERARY and TABOGA took HURON in tow and moved her to a secluded spot behind the new seawall off Pine Grove Park, just below the Blue Water Bridge. The land will be extended out to the new breakwater and eventually the lightship will be berthed in dry land, to serve as a reminder of the years when lightships were common features of lake navigation.
We understand that the final decision in the battle by American Shipbuilding to purchase the Wilson Marine Transit Company is now awaited from Washington. Some observers feel that it will only be a matter of time until AmShip gets control not only of the three vessels whose sale was approved (THOMAS WILSON, A.T. LAWSON and BEN MOREELL) but also of the remaining idle Wilson steamers. Presumably in the hopes that something may soon develop concerning the vessels, EDWARD S. KENDRICK and B.F.JONES were towed from Buffalo to Toledo on August 28 and August 31 respectively by LAURENCE C. TURNER for drydocking and inspection. Both were idle in 1972 and the KENDRICK did not operate in 1971 either. Presumably, if the deal does go through to completion, there will be much casting out of older vessels from the present Kinsman fleet, and this may even occur with the addition of the three vessels already purchased. Our guess would be that ships such as JOE S. MORROW will not last long. (We hope that JAMES E. FERRIS does not fall under the axe!)
We have more detail on the movement of the old wrecking tug FAVORITE to the Michigan Sault where she will become a museum ship for Le Sault de Sainte Marie Historical Sites Inc. She cleared Cleveland early in the morning of August 19th and arrived at the Sault behind LAURENCE C. TURNER on August 21st.
Fans of the sidewheel passenger ferry TRILLIUM, long a familiar sight on Toronto Bay, will no doubt be saddened to hear that the ferry is presently reposing on the bottom of Lighthouse Pond at Gibraltar Point. She apparently settled to the bottom earlier in the summer or late in spring and efforts are presently being made to refloat her. TRILLIUM was retired in 1956 and lay at the ferry docks until 1958 when she was moved to a berth near the Gibraltar Point lighthouse, destined to be cut down to a barge as was her near-sister BLUEBELL. The work was never done, however, and in the intervening years, the elements have taken their toll as her cabins and decks rotted away. The remains are not a pretty sight, and it might be hoped that municipal officials will put the old girl out of her misery.
The McAllister (formerly Sin-Mac) steam tug YVON DUPRE JR. was towed to her final resting place in the Marine Salvage yard at Humberstone by the tugs DANIEL McALLISTER and HELEN McALLISTER on September 8th, the same day that the pair of tugs arrived with the freighters ALPENA and HENRY G. DALTON. We presume that the DUPRE will soon be broken up. To the best of our knowledge, she was the last steam tug remaining in the McAllister lake fleet.
Ship of the Month No. 24
There are a few lake steamers that seem to have done a very good job over the years, of avoiding the cameras of those who would preserve an image of the lake shipping scene on film. One such vessel was the small steel bulk carrier MAPLEHURST. Although she operated under this name for about four years, your editor knew of no photograph of her (apart from ones showing her wreck in Lake Superior) until the one reproduced on this month's photopage was discovered recently. Perhaps this would be a good time to recount the story of MAPLEHURST.
The elusive MAPLEHURST in winter quarters with other veteran C.S.L. steamers at Port Dalhousie, c. 1920. Photo courtesy Bill Bruce.The vessel was built in 1892 at South Chicago, Illinois, for the Cleveland Cliffs Iron Company. Christened CADILLAC, she was the first of three steamers in the Cleveland Cliffs fleet to bear this name. She was given a length of 230'0, a beam of 37' 2 and a depth of 15'3. Her tonnage was registered as 1263 Gross and 1068 Net. Constructed of a size suitable for operation in the Welland and St. Lawrence Canals, she spent much of her time in the iron ore trade out of Marquette, Michigan, to lower lake ports.
The vessel wore the dark red hull colour that the company used for many years and her cabins were painted dark olive, a colour still used by Cliffs, Originally, she may have carried a white forecastle, since some of the fleet units were so painted, but we have not seen a photograph to confirm this. Around 1912, CADILLAC was given a black hull as were all other Cliffs bulk carriers.
CADILLAC was sold in 1912 to Roy M. Wolvin for his Canadian Interlake Line which, the following year, became part of the newly-formed Canada Steamship lanes Ltd., Montreal. About this time, she was equipped with three swivelling cranes mounted on the starboard side of the deck. She was thus able to carry such cargoes as steel products and could also fill in on the Montreal to Fort William package freight run when required.
About 1919, CADILLAC was renamed MAPLEHURST by C.S.L. to conform with their policy of renaming a number of their ships using the prefix "Maple" while denoting the type of carrier with the first letter of the second syllable, i.e. "B" for package freighters (such as MAPLEBORO), "G" for wooden bulk carriers (as in MAPLEGLEN), and "H" for steel bulk carriers, generally of the lower lake variety (MAPLEHILL, etc.).
During 1921 and 1922, MAPLEHURST visited Toronto harbour on numerous occasions, sometimes with bulk coal cargoes, and sometimes with package freight.
The last voyage of MAPLEHURST's thirty year career began when she loaded coal at Lorain for delivery at the Canadian Lakehead city of Port Arthur late in November 1922. After leaving the shelter of the upper St. Mary's River, she encountered very heavy weather on her trip across Lake Superior. When off the Keweenaw Peninsula, her Master, Capt. L Menard (who had moved up to MAPLEHURST in 1921 from the wooden steamer INDIA) decided to seek shelter in the Keweenaw Waterway, a protected channel cutting through the middle of the Peninsula and formed in part by Portage Lake.
Capt. Menard accordingly altered course southwards so as to enter the western end of the waterway. While approaching the Portage Entry breakwater in the darkness of the evening hours of November 30th, the vessel became unmanageable. Flares were sent up and the distress signal was sounded on the whistle. The U.S. Coast Guard crew at the Portage Entry Station saw the distress signals and immediately put out in their surf boat. After making numerous attempts to get close alongside the steamer, they succeeded in removing nine crew members, but eleven more chose to remain with the doomed MAPLEHURST.
The Coast Guard boat took the rescued men to shore but, before it could return, MAPLEHURST stranded about 350 yards west of the upper entrance west breakwater and was completely at the mercy of the seas. The wreck took such a terrific pounding from the waves that by dawn of the next day, December 1st, all her deckhouses had been carried away, leaving only the deck cranes, funnel, and part of the boiler house in position. All eleven men who chose to stay with the ship perished during the night.
As the wrecked hull was severely damaged by the pounding she took on the rocky shore on which she had grounded, MAPLEHURST was abandoned to the underwriters as a total loss. The Dominion Wreck Commissioner placed a figure of $122,000 on the value of the ship and cargo.
(Ed. Note: For the rare photo of MAPLEHURST, we are indebted to member Bill Bruce who supplied a print from a negative kindly loaned by James Braniff of St. Catharines, Now we wonder how many of our readers can identify all the other vessels wintering in Port Dalhousie upper harbour in the picture.)
A Passenger On A Cargo Ship
by Gordon Turner
A few months ago I travelled as a passenger from Toronto to Bremen on the TRANSMICHIGAN. A familiar ship in several Great Lakes ports, the TRANSMICHIGAN is owned by Poseidon Lines of Hamburg. She was built in 1966 by Mitsui Zosen, Tamano, Japan, and is a sister ship of the TRANSONTARIO and the TRANSATLANTIC. Her gross registered tonnage is 4,959 as an open shelter decker and 6,926 as a closed shelter decker. The ship is 430 feet long, 58 feet wide and has a draught of 26 feet. The six-cylinder Burmeister and Wain engine develops 7,200 b.h.p., giving the ship a maximum speed slightly in excess of 17 knots.
In her first year of service, TRANSMICHIGAN is seen docked at Toronto's Cousins Terminal, Sept. 28, 1966. Photo by J. H. Bascom.When I boarded the ship at Marine Terminal 51 in Toronto there was only one other passenger but by the time we left Port Alfred five days later the ship carried its maximum of twelve. The passenger capacity is usually fully booked in the summer, while during the rest of the year the ship averages about eight passengers per voyage. There are four double cabins and four singles, not especially large but pleasantly furnished, each with its own shower, washbasin and toilet. In addition, the passengers have a lounge, a library and a bar, all connected, facing forward and occupying the full width of the ship. On the same deck, facing aft, is the dining room used by the passengers, the captain, the first and second officers, the chief engineer and the radio officer. There are two other dining rooms but all the food served on the ship comes from the one galley.
The TRANSMICHIGAN left Toronto about 9:30 in the evening, which meant that she went through the Thousand Islands and much of the St. Lawrence Seaway during daylight hours the following day. No single day of the entire voyage was more enjoyable than this one, combining as it did the natural beauty of the Thousand Islands and the engineering accomplishments of the Seaway. Ships which I observed included the PIC RIVER, SARNIADOC, EASTERN SHELL, RIMOUSKI, AIGLE D'OCEAN, POLARLAND and RIVADEMAR, most of them familiar to ship watchers of the Great Lakes but on this occasion providing literally a new angle for photography,
Montreal harbour was strikebound but the TRANSMICHIGAN had to make a bunkering stop at Montreal East and was tied up for about seven hours. We left at 8:20 a.m. and for nearly 40 minutes the ship tried to negotiate the current while a very strong wind was blowing but the various manoeuvres failed and the captain had to call on the tug RIVAL for assistance. Within a few minutes we were in midstream and bound for Port Alfred.
Port Alfred is about eighty miles up the Saguenay River. Unfortunately, the upward and downward voyages of the TRANSMICHIGAN were made almost completely in darkness so the passengers were unable to see much of the river, which has often been compared to a Norwegian fiord for its beauty.
We docked at Port Alfred and spent two and a half days loading aluminum and a small quantity of paper, these being the two principal exports of the area. The TRANSMICHIGAN was tied up astern of the ELIANNE, a brand-new Norwegian ship which was loading paper for Tampico and Vera Cruz. In the bay, waiting to enter the ore dock was the OLYMPIC PEARL, flying the quarantine flag which she hauled down the following day before making her way to the ore dock.
At a nearby dock pulpwood was being unloaded. Among the vessels engaged in this trade were three small wooden-hulled goelettes, JEAN IVAN, C. H. MARIE and F. MARY, each of which made two visits while the TRANSMICHIGAN was in Port Alfred. The number of goelettes has diminished greatly in recent years and comparatively few remain. Also unloading pulpwood were the open hold ships CASTOR CONSOL, OUTRE CONSOL and VISON CONSOL, each of 799 grt. and 209 feet in length. All three were built in 1960, by Zaanlandse Schps. Maats. of Zaandam, Netherlands, for the Anticosti Shipping Company of Montreal.
The Saguenay River is still visited from time to time by cruise ships. One of these is the Russian passenger liner ALEKSANDR PUSHKIN which is based in Montreal during the summer months. She made one of her calls while the TRANSMICHIGAN was tied up in Port Alfred, The passengers were taken ashore by boat to Bagotville, a small town which adjoins Port Alfred, from which they went on bus tours of the region. As they landed they were welcomed by a group of local ladies dressed in costumes of about a century ago and entertained by a display of folk dancing. The ladies served the passengers a local drink known, I believe, as petit caribou. The main ingredients include wine, vermouth and white alcohol. The hospitality of the reception committee was not limited to the PUSHKIN's passengers but was extended to the TRANSMICHIGAN's passengers who had strolled over to observe the welcome.
The voyage from Port Alfred to Cardiff took nearly seven and a half days. Because of the severe ice conditions off Newfoundland our course was well to the south of Cape Race. The last identifiable ship we saw in the Gulf of St. Lawrence was the Russian vessel ANGARGES which has made several visits to Toronto during the last year or two.
During the Atlantic crossing I made several visits to the bridge. The master, Capt. Karl Rode, was always willing to explain the functions of the various pieces of equipment. Although the ship was built in Japan, the equipment was German and British as well as Japanese. There was among all the modern devices an old-fashioned speaking tube linking the bridge with the engine room. I spent some time in the chart room looking over the charts while the captain explained the course in relation to ice conditions and other hazards.
We saw only two icebergs during the crossing, each about two miles to starboard. The passengers also noticed some creatures leaping out of the water at a distance which were variously described as whales, seals and porpoises.
The sea was remarkably smooth for the entire voyage but the weather was not warm enough for lengthy stays on deck. The passengers occupied their time by reading, playing cards and in conversation. The ship's library contained 114 books, 107 of which were in German. However, several passengers had brought on board sufficient paperbacks so that by sharing there was always something to read. A daily news bulletin in German was issued each afternoon which the lone German passenger was always ready to translate.
Meals were served at 8 o'clock, 12:10 and 6 o'clock. In addition, there was afternoon tea at 3:30 and in the evening a plate of apples and oranges was placed in each cabin. The food was generally plain but well cooked and attractively served. The tablecloths and napkins were of linen. Cutlery and chinaware were always very clean. There was little or no choice of dishes but the food appealed to the passengers. A menu for a typical day was as follows: Breakfast: orange juice, eggs (any style), various kinds of bread and rolls with butter, jam and honey, coffee. Lunch; potato soup, roast pork, boiled potatoes and red cabbage, cucumber salad, canned peaches. Dinner: bean salad, steak, french fries, assorted cold cuts and cheese, bread, tea. Towards the end of the voyage a special lunch was held for the passengers preceded by champagne and accompanied by wine. Each passenger was presented with a Poseidon Line lapel badge and a sailor's hat band inscribed M/V TRANSMICHIGAN.
Because of the low tide the TRANSMICHIGAN had to wait in the roads for about six hours before entering Cardiff harbour. We went into the lock assisted by the tugs DANEGARTH and LOWGARTH and berthed in the Queen Alexandra Dock, The aluminum and paper which we had loaded in Port Alfred were discharged as was also a quantity of frozen beef from the ship's reefer space. In the same dock were the TACOMA CITY, unloading timber from the Pacific Northwest, and the ARCADIAN unloading wooden barrels of concentrated orange juice from Israel. There was an imposing array of 23 cranes along one side of the dock but the impression a casual visitor receives is that Cardiff is not the thriving port it once was.
We left Cardiff after nearly three days, bound for Bremen with only 400 tons of cargo. Visibility in the English Channel and the North Sea was limited and few of the ships we saw were close enough to be identified. Not until the TRANSMICHIGAN reached the mouth of the Weser could ships' names be distinguished and then we saw a great variety of ships, ranging from the coaster GILLIAN EVERARD to the large container ship LIVERPOOL BAY. Our journey up the Weser from Bremerhaven to Bremen was made during the night. Next morning the passengers left the ship after breakfast, their voyage completed, and went off to their various destinations.
I had been aboard the TRANSMICHIGAN for 18 days altogether. The total cost of the journey from Toronto to Bremen, including transportation, accommodation in a single cabin and meals, was $425.00 or $23.61 per day. The fare from Montreal to the first European continental port, where passengers must disembark, is $320.00 per person in a double cabin and $365.00 in a single cabin. Since some Poseidon Line ships sail directly from Montreal to Antwerp in about nine days the cost per day can be much higher than what I paid. Sailing dates are subject to frequent changes, sometimes with very little notice, so intending passengers need to allow themselves considerable leeway. But regardless of cost, a voyage on a cargo ship is a different kind of holiday with a particular appeal to those who like ships and the sea.
Special Offer For T.M.H.S. Members
Several issues back, we commented on the release of the most recent offering in lake history by Freshwater Press, the reprint of "The Great Lakes," a 2-volume set published originally in 1899 by Beers. For many years, the set has been in great demand but supply has been short and prices for copies when available, have been greatly inflated.
The reprinted set features exact reproduction of the original text and illustrations. Volume I deals in depth with the history of the lakes and lake shipping, while Volume II contains the biographies of about 1500 lake men including owners and captains. The set is really a must for all historians.
The set of two volumes is being offered at a price of $50.00, or each volume separately for $30.00 each. However, due to a special arrangement which we have made with Freshwater Press Inc., we are able to offer the set at a substantial saving. Interested parties are invited to write in care of the Editor for details.
Coal to Newcastle?
For a number of years, there has been a steady stream of lake bulk carriers arriving at Toronto during the summer and fall months with cargoes of salt destined for use on the roads of the city and the province during the winter. Sometimes the salt arrived in Reoch self-unloaders and sometimes it was brought by straight-deckers such as HERON BAY and SHELTER BAY. By late autumn, there would be a huge pile of salt on the Weaver Coal Company dock.
This year, however, things have been different. Not as much salt has been delivered to Toronto Harbour docks by lake carriers and the reason why became known on October 1st with the arrival of the large Russian bulk motor vessel ZLATOUST. This ship, built in Poland in 1969, measures 614' x 75' and is of 23,000 tons deadweight. She arrived with a cargo of 13,000 tons of Roumanian salt which had been loaded at Constanza. This is actually a part cargo for Toronto as 10,000 tons of salt were unloaded at Montreal before she entered the Seaway. Immediately upon arrival in Toronto she was picketed by local labour groups protesting the importation of Roumanian salt at a time when the salt mines at Goderich and Windsor are capable of producing large quantities of road salt. Upon discharge of the cargo in Toronto the ZLATOUST will proceed light to Montreal to load grain for a Baltic or Black Sea Port.
To add to the consternation of the Canadian Labour Unions, this cargo is the first of three such shipments scheduled to be received at the Toronto docks before the close of navigation.