Friday, October 3rd - 8:00 p.m. at the Museum. Open Slide Night. Members are invited to bring up to twenty slides each to illustrate their summer shipwatching activities.
Friday, November 7th - 8:00 p.m. at the Museum. Program to be Announced.
The Editor's Notebook
Our Annual Dinner Meeting, held back on May 10th, was a great success. We enjoyed a pleasant meal at the Ship Inn and were treated to a fine slide presentation by Bill Luke. We were particularly pleased to see so many of our out-of-town members in attendance, some coming from as far away as Winnipeg and Thunder Bay for the occasion. Our thanks to Bill Wilson for attending to the dinner arrangements.
T.M.H.S. MEMBERSHIP FEES WILL BE DUE AND PAYABLE come October. Fees for the 1980-81 season will remain at the current $10 level. We would appreciate early remittance to our Chief Purser, James M. Kidd, 83 Humberview Road, Toronto, Ontario, M6S 1W9. We regret that the cost of postage and printing precludes the sending of individual renewal notices or billings.
We hope that our members will forgive the preponderance of marine news in this issue. Our "holiday" since the May issue has been frought with all sorts of marine happenings which must be recorded. We have tried our best to report the most important of them in these pages.
In The New Member Department, a hearty welcome goes out to Bertram Richard of La Have, Nova Scotia.
A most serious accident occurred about 5:00 a.m. on June 25, when MONTREALAIS and ALGOBAY collided head-on during a dense fog in the St. Clair River off St. Clair, Michigan. MONTREALAIS was downbound with ore for Hamilton, while ALGOBAY was upbound light to load salt at Goderich. The river was partially blocked to traffic until MONTREALAIS could be moved from the channel. The Algoma Central self-unloader, for which this was not her first serious accident by any means, received bow damage estimated in the area of $700,000 and was taken to the Welland dock for repairs by Herb Fraser and Associates. More seriously damaged, however, was MONTREALAIS, whose bow was stove in back to the forward cabin. With damage in the $1,000,000 range, she was moved under her own power to the Port Weller shipyard for repairs.
Another nasty accident occurred about 9:35 p.m. on July 21, when LAWRENCECLIFFE HALL, upbound with ore, struck the south tower of the St. Louis railway bridge in the Beauharnois Canal section of the Seaway. LAWRENCECLIFFE HALL knocked the bridge such a wallop that the south tower was shifted nine feet off centre and twisted so that the counterweight was jammed in the wreckage and the bridge could not be lowered. For a while, it was feared that the span might fall into the canal, but it was shored up sufficiently that the Seaway could be reopened to traffic two days later. Damage to the bridge is in the region of $200,000,000 and "repairs" will take the better part of a year as the span must be dismantled whilst in the raised position. LAWRENCECLIFFE HALL, meanwhile, went to Valleyfield, P.Q., where part of her cargo was unloaded. She then proceeded to Montreal, where she was drydocked by Canadian Vickers Ltd. for the necessary repairs to her port bow.
FRANKCLIFFE HALL, a near-sister to LAWRENCECLIFFE HALL, has also been in the news lately. Her conversion to a self-unloader was not completed as scheduled at Thunder Bay due to an impending strike of shipyard personnel. Instead, she loaded her first cargo, potash for Montreal, and set off downbound, passing through the Soo Locks on July 18 and stopping at Hamilton for completion of the conversion. FRANKCLIFFE HALL now looks much like C.S.L.'s FRONTENAC, also a Thunder Bay conversion; in fact, the two passed on the morning of July 18 near Frechette Point, St. Mary's River, the crew of each boat watching the other ship closely. Suffice it to say that FRANKCLIFFE's stack is no longer visible from forward and her unloading "box" is even larger than that of FRONTENAC.
Another Seaway bridge has suffered extensive damage, this accident involving Bridge 19 which carries Highway 3. Main Street, over the Welland Canal at Humberstone. In the early morning of August 5, "the bascule bridge somehow descended onto the stern of the downbound salty SCAN CRUSADER. The vessel was damaged but proceeded on her way to Montreal for repairs. Bridge 19 will be out of service for at least a month and considerable inconvenience is being occasioned to Port Colborne residents and visitors. The only alternate road crossing of the canal in the area is Bridge 21 at Clarence Street.
Royal Hydrofoil Cruises began service to Niagara-on-the-Lake from the foot of Yonge Street, Toronto, during mid-May. The service has not been overly successful and there have been complaints from local operators and unions concerning the Panamanian registry of the three hydrofoils and their use of foreign masters. To attract passengers, the round-trip adult fare was soon reduced from $35 to $25, and a further decrease to $20 came late in July. The number of sailings has also been reduced. On the route are QUEEN OF TORONTO, (a) QUEEN OF THE WAVES (80), and PRINCESS OF THE LAKES, (a) PRINCESS OF THE WAVES (80), both of 310 Gross tons and built in 1971, as well as the 1968-built, 321-ton PRINCE OF NIAGARA, (a) EXPRESSAN (69), (b) HS 15 (69), (c) HYDROLINER (69), (d) SCANRIDE (70), (e) NORFOIL (73), (f) PRINCE OF THE WAVES (80). All are owned by Royal Hydrofoil S.A., Panama, and were purchased last autumn from K/S A/S International Hydrofoil Operation Norway. Winter mooring and repair facilities for the craft are maintained on the lower east wall of Port Dalhousie harbour.
The depressed business conditions of 1980 have taken their toll on lake shipping, many fleets having their older and smaller vessels lying at the wall. Nowhere has this fact been more noticeable than in the reduction in size of the U.S. Steel fleet. Although the company is operating all of the "Bradley" self-unloaders except IRVIN L. CLYMER, it is only running ten other boats in the ore trade, namely EDWIN H. GOTT, ROGER BLOUGH, ARTHUR M. ANDERSON, CASON J. CALLAWAY, PHILIP R. CLARKE, BENJAMIN F. FAIRLESS, A. H. FERBERT, LEON FRASER, IRVING S. OLDS and ENDERS M. VOORHEES. Tinstackers B. F. AFFLECK, HORACE JOHNSON and JOHN HULST, all of which ran in 1979, did not fit out in 1980 and seven others (SEWELL AVERY, THOMAS W. LAMONT, EUGENE W. PARGNY, ROBERT C. STANLEY, EUGENE P. THOMAS, RALPH H. WATSON and HOMER D. WILLIAMS) which operated early in 1980 were laid up by the end of May. U.S. Steel is in no rush to commission its newest self-unloader, EDGAR B. SPEER, Hull 908 of the American Shipbuilding Company, which was christened on June 4 at Lorain. Were she put in service within the next few months, there is little doubt but that more tinstackers would be laid up. SPEER, incidentally, is very similar in appearance to EDWIN H. GOTT, complete to her "transverse shuttleboom".
U.S. Steel has never been known for selling its older vessels for scrap at the end of their usefulness to the fleet. Due to the good condition in which the company has always kept its boats, such steamers have usually found their ways into the hands of other operators. Notable exceptions, of course, were the old hulls, such as ZENITH CITY, RENSSELAER, etc., which were traded to the Maritime Commission for new tonnage during World War II and later broken up at Hamilton. During the late 1970's, the company sold off older tonnage for scrapping by Hyman-Michaels at Duluth, HENRY H. ROGERS, GEORGE G. CRAWFORD, WILLIAM J. FILBERT, HENRY PHIPPS, PERCIVAL ROBERTS JR., WILLIAM P. PALMER, RICHARD TRIMBLE and JAMES A. FARRELL already having met that fate and WILLIAM B. SCHILLER now on the wait list for a scrapyard berth. With the exception of the venerable craneship CLIFFORD F. HOOD, however, which went in 1974, no. U.S. Steel boat has ever gone to an overseas scrapyard whilst wearing the company colours.
On July 15, 1980, J. P. MORGAN JR. (with TUG MALCOM and W. J. IVAN PURVIS) and EUGENE J. BUFFINGTON (with BARBARA ANN and JOHN McLEAN passed down the St. Mary's River for the last time. Bound for Milwaukee and then overseas for scrapping, they were photographed near Frechette Point by the Editor.All that is now about to change, for J. P. MORGAN JR. and EUGENE J. BUFFINGTON, the former in tow of TUG MALCOLM and W. J. IVAN PURVIS, and the latter under the ministrations of BARBARA ANN and JOHN McLEAN, passed down the St. Mary's River on July 15, en route from lay-up at Superior to Milwaukee, where they loaded scrap for delivery in Spain. The steamers will be cut up there on arrival. By early August, BUFFINGTON was at Port Huron, awaiting a tow to Hamilton to finish loading scrap. Both steamers are of historical interest, BUFFINGTON as a result of her June 23, 1942 grounding and near-loss on Boulder Reef, Lake Michigan, and MORGAN in consequence of her fog-shrouded collision with CRETE on Lake Superior near the entrance to the Portage Canal on June 23, 1948. Had it not been for the extreme demand for tonnage in the wartime and immediate postwar periods, neither would likely have survived such severe damage. Both vessels were products of the American Shipbuilding Company, BUFFINGTON (Hull 366) having been built in 1909 and MORGAN (Hull 373) in 1910.
It is our belief that scrap sales have also been arranged for THOMAS F . COLE (1907), ALVA C. DINKEY (1909) and D. M. CLEMSON (1917), with GOVERNOR MILLER (1938) and D. G. KERR (1916) likely to follow suit. By early August, DINKEY had arrived at Milwaukee to load scrap for overseas, whilst COLE had been towed to Thunder Bay for dismantling by Western Metals, CLEMSON being expected at Thunder Bay shortly also. Whether KERR and MILLER will go overseas, we do not know as yet, for these scrap pairings have been subject to many changes ever since the news of them first broke in July. It might seem odd that the 42-year-old MILLER would be included in a scrap sale when her sister and two near-sisters are still part of the fleet, albeit currently in reserve. Unfortunately, MILLER is still a coal-burner and has much bottom damage, all of which would have to be repaired if she were ever again to operate.
On July 15, 1980, EUGENE J. BUFFINGTON (with BARBARA ANN and JOHN McLEAN in the St. Mary's River.Two old lakers are beginning new careers as grain storage hulls as a result of their purchase by an affiliate of Seaway Towing Company. Involved are the former Inland Steel 1907-built CLARENCE B. RANDALL (II) and U.S. Steel's PETER A. B. WIDENER, a veteran of 1906. WIDENER, already laid up at Duluth, will be used there, while RANDALL, minus her after cabins already removed in preparation for scrapping, will serve at South Chicago and will shortly be towed there from Milwaukee. It is interesting to note that WIDENER was the last of the "beatle-browed" Pittsburgh Steamship Company steamers to remain in U.S. Steel ownership, and the last to be owned by any fleet actively engaged in the operation of lake bulk carriers.
SALLY M-W, the former Sarnia pilot boat, was purchased this summer by Seaway Towing Company for use in pilot service at Sault Ste. Marie. Taken to the Soo, registered first to a Canadian and then to a U.S.-flag affiliate of Seaway, she replaces J.P. IX, the former Soo pilot boat which now serves in the same capacity at Chicago. Repainted with green hull and cream cabins, SALLY M-W has been renamed SOO RIVER BELLE.
Another recent acquisition of Seaway Towing is the U.S. Steel steam tug DOLOMITE which last operated at Rogers City in 1978. She is now lying in the Carbide slip at the Michigan Sault, the intention of her owner being to convert her to diesel power and use her in general towing. DOLOMITE is an extremely handsome tug and it is unfortunate that she could not be operated in steam. However, U.S. Steel always used her as a harbour tug, with very limited range, and her boilers do not have sufficient steam capacity to allow her to run at full power for more than a few minutes at a time. In addition, her bunkers are too small for her to carry enough oil fuel for a long towing job.
Although the Quebec and Ontario Transportation Company Ltd. was interested in acquiring C.S.L.'s idle ESKIMO, it seems that Q & O did not jump fast enough to purchase her. While Q & O was dithering about her condition and arrangements to drydock her at Collingwood for inspection, ESKIMO was purchased by Rail and Water Terminal (Quebec) Inc., an affiliate of the Groupe Desgagnes. She passed down the Welland Canal on the evening of May 29 on her delivery voyage, flying the Desgagnes houseflag but still wearing C.S.L. colours on her hull. Although Desgagnes purchased ESKIMO primarily for coastal service, there is a possibility that we may see her back in the lakes to pick up the odd cargo at the Algoma Steel plant in the Canadian Sault.
CONSUMERS POWER, now chartered by the American Steamship Company to the Erie Sand Steamship Company, appears resplendent in her new colours. She can now be seen with her smart green hull, white forecastle and cabins, and black stack with bright orange band and large black letter 'E'. The latter is a bit of a departure from normal Erie colours; the black triangle and letters 'E.S.S.' appear to have been dropped in this case as a result of the fact that CONSUMERS POWER is only in the fleet on charter.
The Erie Sand Steamship Company's self-unloader J. F. SCHOELLKOPF JR., (a) HUGH KENNEDY (30), a veteran of 73 years, arrived at Ramey's Bend on May 3 in tow of STORMONT and ARGUE MARTIN. Her owner, Marine Salvage Ltd., had no intention of scrapping her at Humberstone but was forced to put her in the scrapyard to await the arrival of tugs contracted to take her down the Seaway en route to an overseas scrapyard. She finally was taken down the Welland Canal on June 17 by CATHY McALLISTER and HELEN M. McALLISTER. The scrapping of SCHOELLKOPF leaves active only one of the many handsome steamers built for the famous Capt. John Mitchell. The survivor is the last boat ever constructed for Mitchell, his FRANK H. GOODYEAR (II) of 1917, which still operates for the American Steamship Company as (d) SAGINAW BAY.
The Halco tanker JAMES TRANSPORT, built in 1967 by Davie Shipbuilding at Lauzon, P.Q., will receive a major rebuilding in the near future. The motorship will be lengthened by 40 feet and will receive a total refit. It is not yet clear which shipyard will get the contract, worth approximately $l million.
This has not been a good year for self-unloading booms. At least four of them have suffered accident, two having been rendered total losses. RICHARD J. REISS, of the American Steamship Company, broke her boom in three pieces during the early season and repairs were made at Cleveland. J. W. McGIFFIN seriously damaged her boom in late May and spent the first half of June lying in the Toronto turning basin whilst repairs were put in hand. C.S.L.'s HOCHELAGA dropped her boom into the Detroit River whilst docked at Windsor on April 22; a new boom was ordered from Port Arthur Shipyards but a strike of yard workers has delayed construction of the equipment. Meanwhile, HOCHELAGA has been running as a straight-decker in the grain trade, primarily to Kingston. A small chute has been placed so that the grain may be elevated aboard ship through the unloading equipment and delivered over the side.
The fourth victim was the veteran BROOKDALE (II) of Westdale Shipping Ltd., which lost her boom over the dock at Windsor (the same location as HOCHELAGA's accident) during a severe windstorm in mid-July. BROOKDALE sailed to Buffalo and then to Port Colborne, where the last remains of the boom were removed from her deck. She then proceeded to Toronto, arriving there prior to July 26, and laid up at the Cousins Terminal. BROOKDALE is shortly due for inspection and survey and the cost of docking her, making repairs that were known prior to the accident, and fitting a new boom, is thought to be in excess of $2,000,000. All things considered, we doubt that the 1909-built steamer will ever be returned to service.
INLAND TRANSPORT, the long-idle Halco tanker now owned by Harry G. Gamble of Port Dover, Ontario, has been moved from Port Dover to Port Maitland. She is to be dismantled there but her engines may be rescued for further lake service.
The cement barge MEL WILLIAM SELVICK, the former SAMUEL MITCHELL of Huron Cement fame, has made several trips down the Welland Canal during 1980 in tow of JOHN M. SELVICK. In each case, she returned upbound with refined cement from Clarkson for Ashtabula. Selvick Marine Towing Corp. would like to use her regularly on this route. The barge, of course, has lost all of her old cabins and now sports only a small "booth" atop the quarterdeck. Nevertheless, there is no hiding her handsome lines which are indicative of the builder's art back in 1892.
Several years ago, the Inland Steel Company stated that it would, at some future date, convert EDWARD L. RYERSON to a self-unloader so that she might be a more suitable running-mate for WILFRED SYKES and JOSEPH L. BLOCK. The poor conditions of 1980 have, it seems, given Inland cold feet, for the company has now shelved indefinitely the plans for such a conversion. As well, the fleet's three oldest boats, E.J. BLOCK (1908), PHILIP D. BLOCK (1925) and L. E. BLOCK (1927), all getting on in years but all rebuilt and repowered some thirty years ago, were laid up during the latter half of July. E. J. BLOCK, the first Inland boat to undergo a major rebuild, and a bit of an oddity with her diesel-electric drive (similar to that fitted in the canaller CEMENTKARRIER), appears now to have reached the end of her career with Inland. Built for the Hawgood fleet at West Bay City as (a) W. R. WOODFORD (12), she later sailed as (b) N. F. LEOPOLD (43). Recently, she has served mainly as a shuttle boat in Indiana Harbor, moving cargo through a bridge narrow enough that none of the company's other ships could make it through the draw. E. J. BLOCK was upbound at the Soo on her last trip on July 15, returning downbound on July 18 with ore from Thunder Bay for Indiana Harbor and then laying up at AmShip's South Chicago yard. She is soon due for her five-year inspection but it is unlikely that Inland will dock her. We understand, however, that several other operators have expressed an interest in obtaining her services.
The scrapping of the Columbia Transportation steam self-unloader G. A. TOMLINSON (II) began at Ashtabula on April 1. The stern was cut down to the waterline by early June and the hull was half dismantled by early August.
For several years now, the three "Red Tomatoes" (so-called because of their large red stacks whilst in Republic Steel colours) have been nearing the end of their useful lives. THOMAS F. PATTON, TOM M. GIRDLER and CHARLES M. WHITE may have been good boats when they were lengthened and rebuilt from C4 salties in 1951, hut they seem no longer to be suitable for any lake trade. The ships cannot be lengthened again because of their shallow hulls and they are now so small that they have to be operated at high speeds in order to carry enough cargo to justify their operation. At such speeds, however, not only would they collect Coast Guard speeding violations but their powerful engines would also devour oil in alarming quantities. As a result, Cleveland-Cliffs has dropped its bareboat charter of the trio and the Republic Steel Corp. has sold them to European buyers who will shortly tow them across the Atlantic for scrapping. WHITE and GIRDLER laid up during June at Lorain and PATTON, which did not run at all in 1980, remained at Toledo. The Cliffs insignia have been removed from each vessel.
All three steamers were built by the Kaiser Company Inc. at Vancouver, Washington. LOUIS McHENRY HOWE (51), (b) TOM M. GIRDLER, was completed in 1945, whilst 1946 saw the completion of MOUNT MANSFIELD (51), (b) CHARLES M. WHITE, and SCOTT E. LAND (51), (b) TROY H. BROWNING (55), (c) THOMAS F. PATTON. They were brought up the Mississippi and their rebuilds were completed by AmShip at South Chicago. The Browning interests of Detroit (the Nicholson-Universal Steamship Company) were their first lake operators, running them for Republic Steel. The trio has always stood out from other lakers because of their unconventional appearance and the PATTON has, in recent years, carried the additional distinction of being fitted with the melodious triple chime whistle which Republic removed from J. E. UPSON when the latter was scrapped.
SEAWAY TRADER, (a) IMPERIAL COLLINGWOOD (79), is again in service on Lake Ontario and the upper St. Lawrence in 1980, many of her cargoes being furnace oil from Toronto to Kingston. However, SEAWAY TRADER looks considerably different than she did in 1979. She now has what might best be described as a "pea green" hull with white cabins. Her stack is the same green shade with a white band and a red-and-green 'METRO' insignia; a similar marking also appears on her old deck signboards.
SEAWAY TRADER'S sistership, CONGAR (III), (a) IMPERIAL LONDON (78), (b) TEGUCIGALPA (80), is now in service for an affiliate of Ship Repairs and Supplies Ltd. She took her time fitting out at Toronto during May and June, finally running trials around Toronto Island on June 14. Several days later, she departed for regular service. CONGAR is painted black with white cabins and a blue stack with wide white band and black top. A large tank has been placed on deck aft of the bridge and she also has gained two kingposts which were salvaged from the scrapped WILLOWBRANCH.
Upper Lakes Shipping's self-unloader CAPE BRETON MINER spent late spring and early summer on drydock at Port Weller for a thorough refit., including the replacement of all hold bulkheads and many of the cargo gates and belts. MINER had been carrying a special type of Caribbean sand to Texas ports, and one cargo had been loaded aboard whilst still wet after having been dredged from the ocean bottom. The combination of wet sand and salt water so solidified in MINER'S holds that much of it had to be blasted out before repairs could begin. Scarcely was CAPE BRETON MINER out of the drydock in early July than she grounded in the Chippewa Bay area of the Seaway and had to be returned to the shipyard for bottom repairs.
Three old lakers have been towed from lay-up berths at Hamilton this year en route to overseas breakers. PIERSON INDEPENDENT was downbound in the Seaway on May 3 with the tugs SALVAGE MONARCH and CATHY McALLISTER. ROYALTON passed downbound on May 20 with SALVAGE MONARCH and HELEN M. McALLISTER, while the same two tugs took MARINSAL down the Seaway on May 26. We have no departure date for PIERSON INDEPENDENT, but ROYALTON and MARINSAL cleared Quebec in tandem tow with the deep-sea tug HANSEAT on May 31.
The Bay Shipbuilding Corp. has been busy during 1980. AMERICAN MARINER (originally intended to be named CHICAGO, the raised letters of which name are still visible) was christened at Sturgeon Bay on April 15 and left Escanaba April 18 on her maiden voyage with ore for Ashtabula. The yard's Hull 725, a 396-foot tank barge for Turecamo Coastal and Harbor Towing Corp., Staten Island, was christened MARIE TILTON on June 27. Hull 727 is a 407-foot barge for Hannah Inland Waterways Corp. Reportedly to be named HANNAH 6301, her keel was laid May 5 and she will be delivered during November. Hull 724, now nearing completion, is a 635-foot self-unloader for Boland and Cornelius, allegedly to be christened CUYAHOGA. Featuring a pilothouse designed to permit passage through Cleveland's bridges, she is due for delivery in September but may not be commissioned until 1981 if the current poor business conditions prevail.
The American Shipbuilding Company's Hull 909, a 1,000-foot self-unloader for the Interlake Steamship Company, is gradually getting closer to completion, although much work remains to be done. The hull mid-section, built at AmShip's Toledo yard, was towed to Lorain on May 19 and the stern section followed on May 20.
Port Weller Dry Docks Ltd. has been awarded a contract by Upper Lakes Shipping Ltd. for the construction of a 730-foot self-unloader capable of running on salt water. Delivery is scheduled for early in the 1983 season.
Canada Steamship Lines has placed yet another order with Collingwood Shipyards, this for a 730-foot self-unloader similar to Hull 222 which already is on order for C.S.L. The vessel may be ready late in 1983. Collingwood has also secured another contract, this for a 730-foot straight-decker for Algoma Central Marine. The unusual ship, which may be similar in design to one already ordered by Nipigon Transports Ltd., will be built specially for the grain trade. This is the third A.C.R. vessel on order at the yard; the first two are self-unloaders, one due in March 1981, and the second in the winter of 1982-83. Collingwood is not presently hurting for business!
The self-unloader conversion of Bethlehem Steel's SPARROWS POINT was completed this spring by Fraser Shipyards. Her first cargo was a load of 20, 652 tons of taconite loaded at the Burlington Northern ore dock at the American Lakehead on April 25 for delivery at Burns Harbor.
With the deepening of the recession that has idled many ore carriers, the Interlake Steamship Company laid up its lengthened steamers JOHN SHERWIN (II) and CHARLES M. BEEGHLY, and has taken advantage of the latter's inactivity to get an early start on her self-unloader conversion. The work had begun at Fraser Shipyards, Superior, by early July. If BEEGHLY may be ready for service earlier than intended, however, the same does not apply to Interlake's ELTON HOYT 2nd. The HOYT was taken to AmShip's Toledo yard late last fall and the work has been going on ever since. Some five months behind schedule, HOYT was not expected to be ready for service until August.
The Cleveland-Cliffs Steamship Company's EDWARD B. GREENE passed up the Soo Canal on July 17 en route to Superior. She loaded for Toledo, delivered her cargo, and then moved to AmShip's Toledo yard for conversion to a self-unloader. It is to be assumed that her rig will look much like that installed several years ago aboard WALTER A. STERLING.
The most recent addition to the C.S.L. fleet entered service during the early summer. NANTICOKE, built at Collingwood as Hull 218, was christened on May 27 and enrolled as C.383534, 730.0 x 76.0 x 46.0, 22,706 Gross tons. She was upbound at the Soo on June 15 on her maiden voyage.
The new Eastern Canada Towing Ltd. tug POINTE SEPT-ILES, built at Collingwood to replace the lost POINTE MARGUERITE, was christened at the shipyard on April 10. She was enrolled as C.392670 at Halifax on April 14, 98.0 x 35.0 x 14.0 and 424 Gross tons.
The fire-damaged BoCo self-unloader NICOLET is now ensconced in the AmShip yard at Toledo for repairs. The work is scheduled for completion by March 15, 1981.
Bay Shipbuilding Corp. has been awarded contracts for the self-unloader conversions of Columbia Transportation Division's COURTNEY BURTON and MIDDLETOWN, the work on the former to be done over the coming winter. As yet, there is no word as to whether conversions will also be authorized for ARMCO and RESERVE. Meanwhile, Columbia's ROBERT C. NORTON (II), CRISPIN OGLEBAY (II), WILLIAM A. REISS, ASHLAND, THOMAS WILSON, J. R. SENSIBAR and the beautiful SYLVANIA are all laid up and the last four of these have little likelihood of seeing further service for the fleet. Columbia's W. W. HOLLOWAY was on the drydock at South Chicago in early August, so her future looks bright.
When the Cleveland Tankers Inc. steamer MERCURY (II) was dismantled at Sturgeon Bay some five years ago, most observers believed that this was the end of the career of this handsome vessel with the famous sawmill stack. Not so, however, as we have now determined. The very last remains of MERCURY were acquired by the Roen Salvage Company of Sturgeon Bay and were converted into a 250-foot deck barge, complete with cargo crane. She is used mainly in the Lake Michigan area.
The old Medusa Cement steamer C. H. McCULLOUGH JR. passed up the St. Mary's River on May 19 behind the tug WILFRED M. COHEN, bound from South Chicago to Thunder Bay for scrapping. She arrived May 20 at the Western Metals Dock and dismantling operations should be well under way at the present time.
The former Westdale Shipping Ltd. self-unloader PINEDALE, which has served for the past two years as a breakwater at the site of the Wesleyville Hydro generating plant on the north shore of Lake Ontario, returned to Toronto on the evening of May 27 in tow of STORMONT and LAC MANITOBA. She was moored at the end of Polson Street and was moved the following morning to the east end of the Ship Channel north wall. PINEDALE looks much the worse for her experience and pumping has been required to keep her afloat. A quantity of steel forms was removed from her deck on arrival, but there is yet no word of PINEDALE's ultimate disposition.
The misfortunes of CARTIERCLIFFE HALL continue. On May 7, whilst her fire extinguishing system was being repaired, one man was killed and another seriously injured in the explosion of a carbon dioxide cylinder. Despite this setback, the completion of CARTIERCLIFFE's repairs was rushed ahead and she was able to enter service towards the latter part of May. On June 4, during her first upbound trip with an ore cargo from Port Cartier, she grounded in the upper St. Lawrence but damage, apparently, was not too serious. We have also heard unconfirmed reports of a minor fire aboard the vessel at Montreal on one of her first trips.
Aesthetically speaking, CARTIERCLIFFE HALL has hardly been improved by her rebuild. Her new after cabin is a high square box, totally untapered, with what might otherwise be a rather handsome pilothouse on top. The one concession to the principle of the curve is a slight bow to the front of this apartment-like structure. The stack protrudes from the top of a large box immediately behind the bridge.
The Welland Canal shunter test program was brought to a temporary close on May 10 when MENIHEK LAKE cleared Port Weller, back in the service of Carryore Ltd. The shunters have been stowed in the gatelifter slip, there being no immediate plans for them. The experiment, including last season's games with MARINSAL, is considered a success, although more mechanical problems were encountered in 1980 than in 1979. Incidentally, the shunters are now officially called "seahorses" because of copyright infringement problems.
LAKE WINNIPEG, outbound from Duluth on May 24 with a grain cargo, struck a seawall berm and tore a hole, 100 feet by 7 feet, below her waterline. Despite taking on water, she continued downbound, only to run aground on May 25 whilst outbound at DeTour Passage. She somehow ran foul of Crab Island Shoal and was not released until May 27 after lightering operations. LAKE WINNIPEG continued on her way but went to Davie Shipyard, Lauzon, for extensive repairs to her hull plating.
The last of Paterson's true canallers, TROISDOC (III), (a) IROQUOIS (67), may be sold for service in the Gulf of Mexico at the close of the 1980 season. This could mean the end of commercial shipping at Wallaceburg, Ontario unless the federal government makes an early decision on the dredging of the channel leading to the port. Larger boats can no longer reach Wallaceburg without the costly aid of tugs and even then cannot load to full draft. On the other hand, the little TROISDOC really cannot carry enough cargo to suit the Canada Starch Company Ltd., the recipient of her loads of corn. The necessary dredging had the approval of the short-lived Conservative government but the re-election of Trudeau's Liberals has placed the project in extreme jeopardy. If no dredging is done, the only hope for area shipping may be a project for a turning basin four miles up the Chenal Ecarte from the St. Clair River for use by self-unloaders carrying gravel.
The Toronto sidewheel steamer TRILLIUM is again running charter service this summer despite hopes that she could operate public excursions. TRILLIUM made her first actual ferry trip in over two years on July 27, when she ran three whole trips to Hanlan's Point for a summer folk festival. It had been intended to operate her throughout the day but fog and then a brisk easterly breeze combined to make her entry into the narrow Point dock very hazardous and she was laid up for the rest of the day. Funds have been earmarked for the construction of a new dock for TRILLIUM at Centre Island; the job, to begin this autumn, will entail the removal of the westerly end of Olympic Island but will ensure a useful function for TRILLIUM on days of heavy passenger movement. The Metro Parks Dept. has also expressed certain interest in purchasing an additional ferry, one which could be adapted to carry 2,000 or more passengers.
The Toronto excursion steamer BLUE WATER BELLE, beset by financial difficulties after a less-than-successful 1979 season, is now managed by Sherwood Marine, the operator of CAYUGA II. She raised steam in mid-May but, in apparent repetition of her 1979 follies, did not make a revenue trip until July 26 and, since then, has run only occasionally. Her managers would do well to remember that an excursion boat which remains at the dock does not make money...
The Soo Canal was reduced to a two-lock operation on July 13 with the temporary closing of the third (Davis) lock due to a slump in vessel traffic. The operation of only the Poe and MacArthur Locks caused monumental dispatching problems during the ensuing two weeks and, by the morning of July 25, the Davis Lock was again being used. The fourth (Sabin) lock has been on standby for several years and there has been talk of replacing it and the Davis with one larger lock.
The Lake Michigan carferries have been making news again of late. Amid a welter of threats, offers and counteroffers that almost ended the Chessie's Milwaukee service, the Michigan Transportation Commission agreed to subsidize the railroad's ferries to keep them in operation. Then things went sour with the Ann Arbor Railroad System which has been operated by the Michigan Interstate Railway Company. The "Annie" announced a cessation of all ferry runs as of June 16, but on June 12 agreed to a 12-day extension. Just three days short of the deadline, the Ann Arbor was apparently purchased by the Michigan Transportation Commission, the sale including the docks at Frankfort but not the ferries themselves. This deal seems to guarantee the continued operation of VIKING, CITY OF MILWAUKEE and ARTHUR K. ATKINSON, the latter having been on drydock at South Chicago and scheduled to return to service on August 9. If certain proposals succeed, there may eventually be a merger of Chessie and Ann Arbor carferries under a "Lake Michigan Transportation Authority".
The $20,000,000 Republic Steel Corp. pellet dock at Lorain received its first cargo on May 2 with the arrival of JAMES R. BARKER with 55,000 tons of taconite. BARKER, built at Lorain, thus became the first 1,000-footer ever to deliver a cargo to Lorain.
Ship of the Month No. 94
We get a great deal of pleasure from the research which yields the information which goes into this feature each issue. To present the most complete history possible of an old steamer is a gratifying achievement but sometimes our efforts confront us with problems which produce considerable frustration. In such cases, we may either scrap the proposed article in the hope that further information will appear at a later date to allow us to finish it properly, or else we may go ahead and present it anyway on the chance that one of our readers may happen to have access to the necessary data. This month's feature, a case in point, has perplexed us for many months and, having exhausted our normal sources of information, we present it here anyway. Perhaps one of our members may be able to solve a most interesting problem.
The steamer ROTHESAY had a short life of only 23 seasons and her career on the Great Lakes and St. Lawrence River accounted for only slightly more than half of that period. Nevertheless, she was a very significant ship, typical in appearance of the best dayboats of her time. She is all the more interesting at this late date in view of the apparent ease with which certain so-called historians have been able to propagate incorrect information concerning her and even to mix her history up with that of the completely dissimilar steamer ROTHESAY CASTLE, an iron-hulled former blockade runner.
This is ROTHESAY as she looked in service on the upper St. Lawrence River during the period 1881 through 1889.ROTHESAY was a wooden-hulled sidewheel passenger steamer built in 1867, the year of Canadian Confederation, at Carleton, New Brunswick, a community now known as West St. John. Her builders were J. and S. E. Oliver and she was constructed to the order of a gentleman by the name of Enoch Lunt. She was 179.3 feet in length (193.0 feet overall), 29.0 feet in the beam across the hull and 55.0 feet over the guards, and 8.0 feet in depth. Her tonnage was 839 Gross, and she was the largest steamer ever to be built for service on the St. John River. Her beam engine, which drove non-feathering sidewheels, was built for her by Fleming and Humbert of St. John, N.B. We have no details of her boilers, but we do know that she was originally fitted to burn wood and was later adapted for coal fuel.
ROTHESAY's hull was built of oak timbers planked with tamarack, and her deckhouses were of white pine. She was strengthened by the arch trusses usual to her era, but they were relatively inconspicuous and certainly did not mar her appearance. She also carried hogchains rigged on short poles fore and aft. She had three principal decks, the main, saloon and hurricane. The forward section of the main deck was reserved for the carriage of freight, this space running back as far as the paddleboxes; astern of this area were the passenger entrance foyer, purser's office, and finally the ladies' cabin. From the foyer, the central stairway ascended to the saloon which occupied the deckhouse from the paddleboxes aft, and which gave exit to the after shelter deck. The forward part of the saloon deck cabin was occupied by the dining saloon and exits were provided to the forward observation deck; it was, of course, unusual for a dining saloon of this period to be located anywhere other than hard aft on a lower deck. The hurricane deck carried the usual octagonal "birdcage" pilothouse along with the officers' quarters, the four lifeboats, and other miscellaneous gear.
ROTHESAY was launched on February 2, 1867, and, registered at Fredericton, N.B., as C.54485, she was soon placed in service on the St. John River run between St. John and the provincial capital, Fredericton. It would be no overstatement to say that ROTHESAY was Enoch Lunt's pride and joy; she certainly was his largest and most palatial steamboat. She was operated by what was called the "Express Line", actual management of the boat resting with Enoch Lunt and his two sons, Joseph A. and Reuben G. Lunt. Their father passed away in 1873 and, thereafter, the sons carried on with the steamboat business under the corporate title of Enoch Lunt and Sons.
ROTHESAY's light construction was ideally suited for river service and permitted her a good turn of speed; she could easily manage 20 knots without being pushed. A report in The Morning Freeman of St. John, dated June 18, 1867, recorded that "The new steamer ROTHESAY made a splendid run to Fredericton, making the whole distance to Fawn's Wharf in 5 hours, 14 minutes. She returned in 4 hours, 51 minutes which, not allowing for delay caused by floating timber about the Fredericton boom, was quite a record."
In point of fact, however, there can be no arguing the fact that ROTHESAY, as splendid a steamboat as she was, was far too big and too expensive to operate for her to be a success on the St. John River. When railroad competition made itself felt in 1876, Reuben Lunt at last made the fateful decision to withdraw ROTHESAY from service. She made her last trip between St. John and Fredericton on September 10, 1876, it being announced after her retirement that she would take up new duties on the St. Lawrence River.
The following summer, ROTHESAY made her appearance in the waters of the upper St. Lawrence and she was re-registered at Prescott on July 20, 1877. It seems probable that the Lunts, who had retained ownership of the boat, intended to place her in service in the Thousand Islands area. This prospect did not at all amuse the directors of the famous Richelieu and Ontario Navigation Company Ltd. of Montreal, which had various vessels running on the upper St. Lawrence. They did not deem it at all desirable to be forced into competition with a steamer as good as ROTHESAY, and this was the beginning of an animosity which was to last for many years.
The trouble between the R & O and the Lunt interests was brought to a temporary solution when an agreement was reached whereby Enoch Lunt and Sons would withdraw its steamers ROTHESAY and PRINCE ARTHUR from all routes serviced by the R & O on the upper St. Lawrence River and would, in addition, agree not to operate any such services for a period of ten years. In return for this concession, the Lunts received a payment of the princely sum of $10,000 from Richelieu and Ontario.
With the R & O happy and the Lunts' pocketbook more pleasingly filled, the operators of ROTHESAY cast about for some other area in which they might operate their boat. As it happened, the brother-in-law of Reuben Lunt was one Donald MacDonald of Toronto, and he arranged for the removal of ROTHESAY to Toronto for service there in 1878.
During 1878, her first season on Lake Ontario, ROTHESAY served the route from Toronto to the Niagara River. Her manager was Donald Milloy, who operated under the banner of the Toronto, Niagara and Buffalo Steamboat Company in conjunction with the Canada Southern Railway (which, in 1878, became an affiliate of the Michigan Central Railroad). ROTHESAY'S companion on the route was CITY OF TORONTO, a steamer which had been owned by Capt. Duncan Milloy from 1864 until his death in 1871. The Milloy Estate sold CITY OF TORONTO to one E. O'Keefe, Toronto, but the Estate retained an interest in her throughout the intervening years and it seems quite natural that she and ROTHESAY wound up running under the same houseflag.
ROTHESAY, however, seemed always destined to be a thorn in the side for somebody. If R & O had been annoyed at the prospect of having her as the opposition on the St. Lawrence, Barlow Cumberland and the Hon. Frank Smith of the Niagara Navigation Company Ltd. were even more upset in 1878 when ROTHESAY appeared on the Niagara Route, running as competition for their beautiful steamer CHICORA. As it turned out, ROTHESAY was relatively successful on Lake Ontario, but her popularity would never eclipse that of the durable CHICORA. With her light construction suited for river trade, ROTHESAY had no problems with the lake in calm weather, but she was not well adapted for the heavy seas which Lake Ontario can easily produce.
Things changed somewhat in 1879, for CITY OF TORONTO traded loyalties and operated along with CHICORA for the Niagara Navigation Company, whilst the Lunts, MacDonald, and Milloy kept ROTHESAY running in opposition. For the first part of the season, ROTHESAY ran up the Niagara River as far as Lewiston, New York, after making calls at Youngstown and Niagara-on-the-Lake.
Later, however, she dropped the Lewiston call and instead connected with a small steamer of U.S. registry which ran between Youngstown and Lewiston.
During the 1879 season, the competition between the two Niagara lines became very keen indeed, the result being a fierce rate war that developed between ROTHESAY and her rivals. CITY OF TORONTO was soon out of the picture, however, for she ran into a heavy fog whilst on the 2:00 p.m. sailing from Toronto on July 25, 1879, and ran aground near the mouth of the Niagara River; she damaged herself to such an extent that she was out of service for the balance of the season. The accident left CHICORA and ROTHESAY to fight for the patronage of those seeking relief across the lake from the hot summer streets of Toronto. The rate war continued with a vengeance, a situation which undoubtedly did nothing to improve the balance sheet of either line.
ROTHESAY and CHICORA continued in opposition on the Niagara route in 1880, but negotiations were under way in an effort to cool out the rate war and restore a more profitable fare system for each boat. ROTHESAY stayed in service until September 15, 1880, on which date she made her last trip of the season and then laid up for the winter at Toronto. As fate would have it, she would never again run to Niagara, and Barlow Cumberland would thereafter be free to operate his CHICORA without major opposition.
The Toronto Globe of April 20, 1881, reported that ROTHESAY had received extensive repairs during the winter. Her boiler was thoroughly overhauled under the superintendence of Neil Currie of Toronto's Esplanade, while woodwork consisted of a new bridge tree, new spring beam, and new wales. The saloon was also refitted and furnished in "first-class style". The same report also revealed that ROTHESAY would be commanded in 1881 by Capt. Donaldson, who had been her master in 1880. First officer would be Robert Smith, while George Munro and Duncan Fraser would be chief and second engineer, respectively. The Globe reporter also hinted that ROTHESAY's sailing properties were being improved, but gave no details. In its issue of Friday, June 3, 1881, the Globe noted that ROTHESAY was still in the hands of the workmen and that alterations for the better lighting of her saloon would be a great improvement.
Despite such comments concerning repairs and improvements, ROTHESAY was apparently refused a licence for lake service in 1881, it being possible to secure only a river "ticket" for her. Why this should have been, we do not know, for she had already operated three full seasons on Lake Ontario and was apparently receiving all necessary maintenance. Were the operators of the opposition boat, CHICORA, not such fine and respectable gentlemen, one might have suspected hanky-panky of some sort.
As ROTHESAY could obtain a licence only for the St. Lawrence River trade, the Lunts transferred her to service in the Thousand Islands, operating between Kingston and Prescott. A new company was set up at this time to run the vessel and it was said that former-Governor Smith of St. Albans, Vermont, held a considerable interest in the new venture.
As might have been expected, the Richelieu and Ontario Navigation Co. took an extremely dim view of the reappearance of ROTHESAY in its territory only four years after this unwanted competition had been dispatched from the area. The R & O felt quite strongly that the Lunts had violated the terms of the 1877 agreement; the Toronto Globe of August 27, 1881, reported that R & O, through its counsel, had taken action against Enoch Lunt and Sons of St. John for $20,000 for alleged breach of contract. The 1877 pact had stipulated that, if the Lunts broke their contract with R & O, they were to pay the larger firm the sum of $20,000, this amount being exactly twice what R & O had originally been forced to pay the Lunts to get ROTHESAY out of their territory . The claim alleged that not only had the Lunts permitted ROTHESAY to be run by them in upper St. Lawrence River service, but also that they had set up a rival company in order to achieve their ends. In consequence, R & O demanded enforcement of the penal clause. We have been unable to determine the outcome of the litigation, but it seems to have had some bearing on the ownership of ROTHESAY, even if she did not actually leave the upper St. Lawrence. Enoch Lunt and Sons seem to have sold ROTHESAY sometime during the 1881 navigation season.
The Mercantile Naval List and Maritime Directory for 1882 shows ROTHESAY's owner as Ambroise E. Lalande, Montreal, while in 1883 it indicates that she was owned by Allan R. Oughtred, Montreal. Strangely enough, the 1883 Canadian List of Shipping shows this gentleman's name as J. R. Oughted.
In his writings on the history of the Niagara River passenger service, Barlow Cumberland noted that ROTHESAY, after leaving Lake Ontario in 1881, ran between Kingston and the Thousand Islands until she grounded and was abandoned in 1882. We have no idea where Cumberland got this information, which he penned in 1913, but ROTHESAY's career did not end in 1882 and we have no record of an accident befalling her that year. We do know, however, that on June 27, 1883, whilst downbound from Clayton, N.Y., to Dickinson's Landing, she took a shear and stranded near Thousand Islands Park. The Department of Marine and Fisheries 1883 report of wrecks and casualties recorded that the loss was partial and assessed damages at $500.
There are indications that ROTHESAY was sold at auction in 1884, perhaps as a result of her 1883 accident, but this cannot be confirmed. The 1884 Mercantile Navy List and Maritime Directory indicates that her owner was then James G. Ross of Quebec City, although Ross' name does not appear in the Canadian List of Shipping until 1886. Some reports indicate that she was operated from 1884 onwards by the St. Lawrence Steamboat Company and this would seem to be confirmed by the appearance of the legend "St.L.S.B.Co." on certain artifacts recovered from ROTHESAY's wrecked remains.
On December 6, 1886, ROTHESAY passed down the St. Lawrence from Gananoque to Ogdensburg, N.Y., to go on the marine railway there for repairs and a partial rebuilding scheduled for the winter months. A report dated February 14, 1887, stated that the rebuilding of ROTHESAY was progressing rapidly at Ogdensburg, but gave no further detail. Once released from the shipyard, she returned to service on the upper river and, in fact, she was re-registered at Prescott on August 4, 1887.
We presume that ROTHESAY ran in the Thousand Islands throughout the mid-1880s. There is evidence to suggest, however, that she strayed back onto Lake Ontario in 1888 or 1889. It is this point that has been so perplexing, for it would appear that ROTHESAY ran to Lorne Park, possibly calling there as a way stop between Toronto and Oakville. Many steamers are clearly documented as having served that route over the years, but ROTHESAY is not one of them. Nevertheless, there exists a good photograph of the Lorne Park dock showing both MACASSA and ROTHESAY at the wharf, each boat clearly identifiable. MACASSA did not enter service until 1888, and ROTHESAY was lost in 1889, so the date can be pinpointed as lying somewhere during those two seasons. In the absence of any other documentation that ROTHESAY ever ran that route, or even that her lake licence had been reinstated, we do not know what to make of the photo. Was ROTHESAY only at Lorne Park on a special charter? Perhaps one of our readers will know the answer.
The latter part of 1889, at least, saw ROTHESAY back on the St. Lawrence. On the evening of September 12, 1889, she was downbound from Kingston for Prescott. Just above Prescott, she found herself in collision with the wooden tug MYRA of the Ogdensburg Coal and Towing Company. Both vessels were severely damaged and soon began to fill with water.
MYRA filled so rapidly that she could not be beached and sank with the loss of two lives. She had been built in 1884 by Shickluna's shipyard at St. Catharines. Registered as C.88634, she measured 82.0 X 17.2 x 8.6, 73 Gross and 37 Net tons. She was long owned by James Buckley, Prescott, and served the fleet of the Ogdensburg Coal and Towing Co. She was salvaged and rebuilt after the 1889 accident and by the second decade of the new century was owned by Sincennes MacNaughton Tugs Ltd., Montreal. MYRA remained active until August 13, 1930, when she was sunk in collision with the canaller WALTER B. REYNOLDS in Coteau Lake on the St. Lawrence. At the time, MYRA was steering tug for the barge REDCLOUD which was in tow of the tug JOHN PRATT. Both tugs and the barge were operated by Sin-Mac Lines Ltd.
After the collision, ROTHESAY's master knew that his ship had been seriously damaged. She was headed for shore and was successfully beached in shallow water on the Canadian shore, about a half-mile above Prescott. She settled with her bow above water but with her stern submerged, much of her passenger accommodation remaining dry. Perhaps due to her light construction, it was deemed that she was not worth salvaging; accordingly, she was declared a total loss and the wreck was abandoned.
The Canadian List of Shipping for 1889 shows her owner as one J. J. Kenney of Toronto. Mr. Kenney was manager and chief attorney of the Western Assurance Company, Toronto, and he represented the insurers of ROTHESAY who took over ownership after the September 12 accident. All removable gear was salvaged from the wreck and the half-submerged steamer was left to rot away.
The passage of time and the river, however, did not completely scour the remains of ROTHESAY from the shore. In 1901, the wreck was blasted with dynamite by a crew from the Royal Military College at Kingston, the cost of the operation ($368.00) paid by the Canadian government. This demolition attempt was not completely successful but it did move the remains into deeper water. The hull now lies in some 35 feet of water and has frequently been explored by divers. Amongst the artifacts located in the wreck are a number of coat-check tags, all clearly marked with the name ROTHESAY.
ROTHESAY's career on the Great Lakes was short, but the steamer was a significant vessel of her time and deserved a fate better than that which befell her. She also deserved a more special place in the history of Lake Ontario and the St. Lawrence River than has previously been accorded to her.
(It is our hope that this feature may help to clear some of the mystery which has surrounded the career of this early steamboat. For their assistance with the research of ROTHESAY's story, we extend sincere thanks to George Ayoub, Gerry Girvin, Jim Kidd, "Scotty" McCannell, Dan McCormick and Windsor Price. We also acknowledge the writings of the late Capt. Frank E. Hamilton. Detailed mention of Lake Ontario steamboating at the time of ROTHESAY is made in Barlow Cumberland's book, "A Century of Sail and Steam on the Niagara River" (1913) and John Ross Robertson's "Landmarks of Toronto" (1893). Various lists and registers were consulted but their entries are at best inconsistent and must be treated accordingly. At no time did ROTHESAY ever appear in an issue of Lloyds Register.)
Marine Publications Available
Capt. Charles Colenutt, master of the steamer TRILLIUM, has numerous back issues of "Sea Breezes" and "Ships Monthly" that he no longer has space to keep. Any member interested in these salt-water magazines should contact Charlie direct at 371 Shuter Street, Toronto, Ontario, M5A 1X2.
Additional Marine News
THOMAS F. PATTON, first of the Republic Steel C-4 scrap tows, passed down the Welland Canal August 14 with SALVAGE MONARCH and HELEN M. McALLISTER.
ESKIMO has been renamed MATHILDA DESGAGNES by the Groupe Desgagnes.
TUG MALCOLM and DARRYL C. HANNAH left Duluth for Thunder Bay on July 30 with THOMAS F. COLE. Same tugs passed down Soo Locks August 5 with ALVA C. DINKEY.
A report from Inland Steel Co. indicates that E. J. BLOCK will, after all, be drydocked for her five-year inspection.