Fort Gratiot Light and Keeper's Cottage
- Diane Bédard, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Digital photograph of the Fort Gratiot Light and Keeper's Cottage.
The Fort Gratiot Lighthouse is the oldest surviving lighthouse in Michigan.
Originally completed in 1825, the first light collapsed during a storm in 1828. A rebuild of the light in 1829 forms the base of the current structure - it was further heightened from the original 74 feet to the current 86 feet in the 1860's.
The red brick duplex was added for the light keeper and his assistant in 1874 and this lighthouse was manned until 1933 when it was coverted to an automated light. A green flashing light with a range of 17 miles now tops the tower.
The Michigan Historical Commission designated the Fort Gratiot Light an historic site in 1971.
- Date of Publication:
- 31 Jul 2011
- Language of Item:
Michigan, United States
- Creative Commons licence:
- [more details]
Maritime History of the Great Lakes