The HURON; Light Vessel No. 103
- Diane Bédard, Photographer
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Digital photograph of the lightship HURON.
"Light Vessel No. 103" was built by Charles L. Seabury Company of Morris Heights, NY.
When assigned to the Corsica Shoals (one of three shallow areas near the “Lake Huron Cut”), at the entrance to the St. Clair River, No.103 had the name HURON painted on her side.
In 1949, she was modernized at the Toledo shipyard: diesel engines replaced the steam one, and radar, a radio beacon and a fog signal were added.
The HURON is now located in Pine Grove Park, Port Huron restored as a museum.
Transcription from Historical Plaque:
Commissioned in 1921, the HURON began service as a relief vessel for other Great Lakes lightships. She is ninety seven feet long, twenty-four feet in beam, and carried a crew of eleven.
On clear nights her beacon could be seen for fourteen miles.
After serving in northern Lake Michigan the HURON was assigned to the Corsica Shoals in 1935. These shallow waters, six miles north of Port Huron, were the scene of frequent groundings by lake freighters in the late nineteenth century. A lightship had been established there in 1893, since manned ships were more reliable than lighted buoys.
After 1940 the HURON was the only lightship on the Great Lakes.
Retired from the Coast Guard service in 1970, she was presented to the City of Port Huron in 1971.
- Date of Publication:
- 31 Jul 2011
Width: 2400 px
Height: 1600 px
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Creative Commons licence:
- [more details]
Maritime History of the Great Lakes