St. Joseph Traveler (St. Joseph, MI), 13 March 1861
- Full Text
It will be seen by the following account from the Chicago Tribune, that the Lady Franklin, which will ply between this place and Chicago during the coming summer, was launched last Saturday afternoon. It was the intention to have her on the route by the middle of March, but it is our opinion that we shall not see her here before the middle of April. Meanwhile there is a large amount of freight on our docks waiting to go forward, and some vessel will have to be employed for this purpose, until the Lady Franklin is in running order:
On Saturday afternoon at half past five, the new propeller Lady Franklin, built by Messrs. J. T. and E. M. Edwards, at the dock of Mr. J. W. Banta, on the west side of the South Branch, between Van Buren and Harrison Sts., was successfully launched in the presence of a large crowd of interested and delighted spectators. The Lady Franklin is intended by her owners for the St. Joseph freight and passenger trade. Her dimensions are, twenty-six feet beam, one hundred and forty-four feet overhaul, [sic] and measures a tonnage of three hundred and fifty-five. She is a two wheel propeller, has a double engine, and her cabin runs her entire length. Her commander will be Capt. Hickey, favorably known on the lakes as a careful and experienced navigator. Not an accident of any kind occurred to mar the perfect success of the launch, if we except the wetting which some of the curious spectators caught when the craft glided swiftly down the ways and first plunged into the element henceforth to be her home, and this was taken in good part and created much amusement. Thus passed the first launch of the season."
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Date of Original:
- 13 March 1861
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- Robert C. Myers
- Copyright Statement:
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes