Detroit Free Press (Detroit, MI), Nov. 4, 1891
- Full Text
END OF THE SOUTHERN BELLE
At Deseronto Supt. Evans, of the Deseronto shipyard, has a force of men busy breaking up the iron side-wheeler steamer Southern Belle, once so well-known on the Hamilton-Toronto and the Toronto-Niagara routes. She was owned by Messrs. Keith & Fitzsimmons, of this port, and they spent a big sum of money on her in the summers of 1880 and 1887 trying to make her sailable. They managed to make her somewhat water-tight, and she left Hamilton's dock, where she had lain for over two years, in the autumn of 1887. On November 12, 1887, the steamer arrived at Napanee from Toronto, having been purchased by Messrs. Silcox & Mowry. It was the intention of this firm to have her thoroughly overhauled at Deseronto preparatory to placing her on the route between Belleville and Charlotte. For this purpose she was hauled up on the marine railway in December, 1887, but, owing to some litigation which arose, had remained there ever since. Her demolition was recently decided upon and the work is now rapidly progressing. Being made of iron it was practically impossible to repair her hull. Originally she was called the Rothesay Castle, and was built during the American war to run the blockade. - [Toronto Globe.
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- SOUTHERN BELLE (C#29290) was built as ROTHESAY CASTLE by W. Simons & Son, Renfrew, Scotland, in 1861 and came into Canadian waters in 1866. She was rebuilt and renamed after a fire at Shediac, New Brunswick in 1874 and was sold to Toronto parties as above. She was a twin-screw steamer of 191 feet and 428 registered tons at the time of her dismantling.
- Date of Original:
- Nov. 4, 1891
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- Dave Swayze
- Copyright Statement:
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes