Detroit Free Press (Detroit, MI), June 20, 1894
- Full Text
Capt. James Reid has sold his iron tug Protector to Edmund Hall, of Detroit, for $12,000. The Protector is the New York fire tug which Capt. Reid purchased to tow the Columbus caravels from New York to Chicago.
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- The PROTECTOR (US#150050) was renamed JAMES REID after being sold by Hall (a sometime business partner of James Reid) to Reid Wrecking and Towing in 1904-5. In '93 Reid was based at Bay City and moved to Port Huron in 1900. By 1904 Reid's Company was based in Sarnia, Ontario and repurchased the tug, naming her after her first Great Lakes owner (C# given as both 116398 and 116399). She foundered in Byng Inlet, Georgian Bay, in 1917 - still owned by the Reid firm.
- Date of Original:
- June 20, 1894
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- Dave Swayze
- Copyright Statement:
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes