The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
Gathered in the Local Harbor
Door County Advocate (Sturgeon Bay, WI), 20 Jun 1907, p. 1, column 1

Full Text

The tug George Nelson was given a fresh coat of paint within the week. Likewise the tug Edw. Watkins.

The steambarge l. N. Foster and consort Oak Leaf cleared Saturday evening for Holland, Mich., both being stone-laden.

The towbarge Marengo is billed for a docking at the local shipyard and is expected to arrive here today or tomorrow.

Repairs on the steamer Chas. McVea were completed Saturday and on the day follow, ing she carried an excursion from this port to Green Bay.

Capt. Wm. Boyd is filling the berth of mate on the government tug Industry, which is tending dredge at Hill’s point and work- ing a double crew.

The little fishing tug Jessie Jackson, Capt. Alfred Graham, came down from Baileys Harbor Friday afternoon, returning north the following morning.

Fred. Schilling has succeeded Geo. Cofrin as master of the barge S. C. Baldwin. Pearl Purdy likewise resigned as master of the Felicitous, making only one trip.

Ed, Ramage spent Wednesday at Algoma in the interests of the Goodrich company and to see what arrangements could be made for having the boats of the line stop there.

Engineer Henry Dummann has accepted a position as first assistant on the carferry steamer Ann Arbor No. 4, having gone to Frankfort the latter part of last week to join the craft.

Large lights have been placed on top of the drawbridge, one on each side over the openings and another in the middle. These lights were required by the government as an aid to navigation,

The tug Edw. Watkins, Capt. Dave Ramage, will leave today for Menominee from where she will tow a small scow to Cheboygan, Mich., the craft being equipped with a tie and post loading outfit.

In attempting the passage of Main street bridge, Green Bay, Sunday morning the Goodrich liner Sheboygan collided with the structure and considerable damage inflicted. The boat was not hurt worth speaking of.

The steambarge Edward Buckley, Capt. Gnewuch, was docked at the local shipyard on Tuesday afternoon for the purpose of having a bent shoe straightened as well as have some necessary calking done.

Engineer John McMillan of this city died in the marine hospital at Chicago on Tues. flay morning after an illness of a couple of months. He was about 48 years old and leaves a widow and several children. The remains will be brought here today for in­terment.

The tug Lorena returned Friday with the barge Oak Leaf from Two Rivers, where a a cargo of stone had been delivered. Capt. Tufts says that the Oak Leaf is one of the best towing boats he ever had hold of, it being possible to make the same time with her when loaded as light—8 1/4 miles.

The coal barge C. B. Jones arrived in port early Tuesday morning with a cargo of 1000 tons of soft coal for the electric light plant. The Jones was towed up from Cleveland by the steambarge Francis Hinton, Capt. Jos. Campbell. It will require about three days time to unload her. The Hinton went to Two Rivers.

Among the passages through the bay Sunday were the carferry steamers Pere Marquette 16 and Ann Arbor No. 3, closely following. Also the steambarges Matthew Wilson and I. Watson Stephenson, the latter stopping briefly to permit some of the crew to visit their home, as it made no difference whether the boat lay here or at Menominee on that day.

The scow schooner Emily & Eliza arrived in port Monday morning being brought in from the lake by the tug Lorena. The vessel will again engage in carrying sawdust from the island mill to Pullman, Ill. The schooner Little Georgia will also engage’ in the same trade, and Capt. Ludwig says there is enough demand for the stuff to keep the boats busy all summer.

The steamer J. S. Crouse, Capt. L. S. Britton, arrived at the shipyard Thursday and the same afternoon was docked. Her wheel was re-fastened, having become loose, and she was given a searching and necessary calking below the water line. The Crouse came here from Holland, Mich,, and is engaged in freight carrying between upper east and west shore ports.

The owners of the sunken steamer C. B. Packard were obliged to give bonds to the Canadian government that in the event of the craft being raised she will be removed from those waters and not be sold or disposed of in any Dominion port. This was an easy thing to do, as the owners are going after the boat for their own use and not as a matter of speculation.

The tug Lorena, Capt. Jim Tufts, left Monday evening for Ford River where the Rieboldt & Wolter dredge had that day com­pleted a job, The outfit was taken to Cedar River, Mich., where it will be employed for the next two or three weeks at least. The tug will remain there and tend the dredge. A small scow laden with 30 tons of soft coal was taken along, the fuel being for the tug and dredge.

The government drill scow at the canal caught fire Tuesday evening, and but for the timely arrival of the life-savers, who were apprised of the fact by the occupants of a gasoline pleasure boat, the craft wonld no doubt have been much more seriously damaged. The blaze started under the iron covering in front of the boiler on deck and had probably been smoldering for several hours. The deck planks were pretty badly charred and beams scorched.

The tug N. Boutin on Tuesday evening left for Two Rivers with the stone laden barge Baldwin in tow.The Boutin on Friday last towed one of the Greilling Bros, dredges from Manitowoc to Holland, Mich., where it will be employed, for a week or so after which the outfit will be taken to Saugatuck. Here it will be employed all season in excavating sand from the river. One of the company’s dredges will go to Michigan City, Mich., where considerable work is to be done.

The tug Bennett was released from the boxes Tuesday morning and has since been transferred to the wharf of her owners. A number of new deck beams are to be put in forward, as well as deck planking some new pieces of fender stroke, rail and bul­warks before putting on the house. The engine and boiler are practically ready for business, only some of the piping above remaining to be connected. It is expected that she will be ready for wrecking operations about July 10th.

It is the intention of the owners of the tug Smith to put a larger wheel on the craft in the near future, with which it is expected to increase her speed about a mile an hour. The tug, however, is doing good work, hav­ing left this port Thursday morning with the stone laden barge Kellogg in tow, gone to Milwaukee and unloaded and got back here at 2 o’clock Saturday afternoon. She got away again the same evening for the Cream city with the stone-laden barge Hurd in tow, returning here again just before noon on Tuesday.

The tug Carrie Mather, Capt. Wm. Marshall, arrived in port Friday morning from Racine, where she had been engaged in hook fishing since last fall. The Mather will re­main here until next fall and pick up what odd towing jobs that is found floating about loose, and Capt. Marshall and Engineer Wondrasek may try their luck off the canal when the season again opens. The Mather will be docked at the shipyard for an over­ hauling as soon as the boxes are free, there being several dockings scheduled ahead of her at the present time.

The Goodrich liner Georgia, Capt. A. E. Johnson, was in port Tuesday on her first regular trip north for the summer season. She left here about 9 o’clock, going to Escanaba and returning along the east shore of this peninsula, getting back here again at 6 o’clock last evening on her way south. The Georgia had on a fairly good-sized crowd of passengers for the first time out, but there has not been hot weather enough as yet to drive the residents of the large cities out for fresh air and recreation. Her next trip will no doubt show a marked in­ crease in the passenger list.

Diver Thos. Isabell and son Frank and Pearl Purdy expect to leave today on a tour of inspection. They will visit the steamer Nicoll, ashore on Summer island, and make an investigation of the wreck, the owners of the craft having for some time been urging Diver Isabell to enter into some agreement for her release. Capt, Isabell will also make an examination of the steamer Vega, ashore at South Fox island, and will meet Oliver Donaldson of Buffalo at this port on his re­ turn and make a report to him on her condition and estimated cost of effecting her re­lease. Mr, Donaldson recently purchased the craft and cargo.

A peculiar accident befell the tug Edw. Watkins on Monday while working in one of the slips at the island mill. The wheel of the tug struck a large basswood log, the bark of which slipped off and wound about the shaft and wheel of the tug in a solid mass, stopping the engine. The services of Diver Isabell had to be secured to remove the obstruction, which was much worse than if a six inch hawser had been hauled in the wheel, the long, stringy strips being wound in a compact mass. This is the first time such an accident has ever been reported, and one marvels at the manner in which the log could be so neatly stripped of every vestige of bark without leaving a mark to show that it had even been touched by the rapidly revolving propeller.

The tug Lorena brought in the schooner Richard Mott Monday morning and landed her at the shipyard where she is to be dock, ed for a general overhauling and calking below the Water line. She was also given a topside calking and minor repairs above the water line while awaiting her turn to be put on the boxes. Considerable work was done on the Mott at Chicago during the past six weeks or more, three new spars having been put in her and part of the bulwarks and rail aft renewed. The Mott is in command of Capt. Ed. Olson and when she leaves here will go to Thompson, Mich., for a load of hardwood lumber. She has enough work in sight to keep her going for some time to come. Capt. Olson a couple of seasons ago sailed the schooner Ada Medora and twenty- eight years ago sailed before the mast on the Mott, at which time Capt. Soyer of this port sailed her. She was then a fore-and-after and considered one of the finest vessels on lakes.

The burned hulk of the wrecked steamer Joys, which was deposited on the flats above the island mill, is a menace to the small boats running about the bay and should be removed before some serious accident hap­pens. It lies about 1,000 feet north of the edging dock on a line with the outer end of the wharf and the Leathem & Smith quarry, being in the course of motor boat that may wish to run down to the brewery dock. As this dock is used considerable by these small boats that carry passengers to the cemetery it is here where the danger lies. The only part of the obstruction visible is about six inches of the stem, and it often happens when the water is high that this too is covered. Should one of these oftentimes quite heavily laden motor boats run on the obstruction there would surely be a loss of life, and if it happened at night it would be still worse. The attention of the proper officials should be called to the matter by all launch owners.

Capt. “Hank” Tufts of the tug Smith was quite badly injured Saturday evening while the craft was being coaled up at the L. & S. wharf. The large one-ton iron carriers were being used and in swinging one of these over the cable became fouled. Capt. Tufts gave it a jerk to slip it over the obstruction, with the result that the slack was taken up so suddenly that he was thrown down with great force, striking the small of his back on the sharp corners of a couple of large wood­ en horses. He was picked up and carried aboard the tug, it being nearly ten minutes before he could recover his breath, which had been completely knocked out of him. A doctor was summoned, and Capt. Tufts removed to his home. No bones were found to be broken but it was feared internal injuries might prove serious. He is getting along nicely, however, and will no doubt be able to take charge of the boat again the end of this week. Mate W. A. Drumb took command of the tug-temporarily.

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Publication:
20 Jun 1907
Language of Item:
Geographic Coverage:
  • Wisconsin, United States
    Latitude: 44.83416 Longitude: -87.37704
Copyright Statement:
Copyright status unknown. Responsibility for determining the copyright status and any use rests exclusively with the user.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

Gathered in the Local Harbor