The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
Daily British Whig (Kingston, ON), 5 Jun 1857


Description
Full Text

p.2 LIGHT-HOUSES ON LAKE HURON

The present state of these light houses is thus described in the Public Works Report:-

Christian Island - The dwelling house is completed, and the tower ready for the setting of the lantern, etc. The lantern and lighting apparatus have been received from France, are now in this city. They shall be forwarded and placed in their positions immediately after the opening of navigation.

Nottawasaga Island - The dwelling house and light-house tower are erected and are equally advanced with those on Christian Island. The lantern and lighting apparatus have also been received here, and will be sent up and placed as soon as the weather will admit.

Griffith's Island - The foundations are prepared, and the stone is all quarried and dressed. If proper exertion is made, the house and tower will be completed by the first of next August, by which time it is expected the lantern and lighting apparatus will be delivered, so that the light may be exhibited in the Autumn.

Isle of Coves - The dwelling house and light tower are completed, and ready for the setting of the lantern, etc., when they arrive. The light to be exhibited here is to be a flashing one, of great brilliancy. During the last season a light was maintained here on a temporary structure, it being indispensible for the safety of steamers entering Georgian Bay by this channel.

Chantrey Island, off Surgeon Harbor - The materials for the dwelling houses are prepared. The shaft of the tower is carried up to within ten feet of its full height, and the materials for its completion are delivered. The whole will be ready for the fixing of the lantern and apparatus on their arrival.

Point Cleke or Pine Point - The cut stone for the house and tower is prepared, and other preparations are so advanced as to insure the completion of the structure this season.

The other works of this nature contracted for are as follows:

A house and tower at the Mississagua Strait; one on Isle St. Joseph; one on Clappelton (sic - Clapperton ?) Island, and one on Badgeley Island. If to these be added one on the Ducks Island, about midway in Lake Huron, and lying in the course of vessels making for Georgian Bay, there will be no reason to complain of want of lights on the Canadian shores of Lake Huron.

The prosecution of these works, so far, has been attended with a great deal of difficulty and loss. In some instances the cut stone and sand have to be brought distances varying from 40 to 150 miles; the cement also involves a carriage of nearly 310 miles to each place. During the progress of the works two steamers, a schooner, and two scows were totally wrecked, and much loss of timber, etc., was incurred. For the completion of the remainder, satisfactory and with due despatch, considerable outlay upon steamers, scows, etc., etc., will be necessary.

The work of the breakwater pier at Chantrey Islands, in connection with the lighthouse there, is completed; it has withstood the heavy storms to which it was exposed last fall, without sustaining any damage, and the amount of shelter and other benefits already derived from it, although carried out to a very limited extent establishes the fact beyond doubt that if an additional length of from 1000 to 1500 feet of breakwater is constructed, a most valuable and capicious asylum would be created, for which vessels engaged in trade on that otherwise very much exposed coast could run in stress of weather. 500 feet of such extension might be first undertaken, and as benefits from it were manifested, the expediency of further extending it would be decided. About 100 feet of the pier at Inverhuron had been sunk, reaching to water about fourteen feet in depth. Owing to the nature of the bottom, the cribs have subsided a good deal, and they still continue to go down; it was considered desirable, therefore, not to carry them up to the full height until after the ice leaves the lake, and they have withstood some more storms.

At Kincardine, or Penetangore, two large cribs had been sunk to form the centre portion of a small breakwater, intended to project the works of Piers to be continued from it, which were to afford shelter to vessels lying under their lee. One of those cribs was well filled, the other not so, when the place was visited by a very heavy storm in September last, which broke them up and drove them ashore. After this occurrence, the principal parties (including the Reeve and Municipality) interested in the formation of accommodation for vessels there pressed for the expenditure of appropriation upon the carrying out of piers from the shore and the opening of a channel across the bay so as to give access to the Lake, directly between the piers, into the inner basin or River. An arrangement to that effect was made with the contractor accordingly. It is to be apprehended that the entrance will be subject at times to obstructions of silt; but this will be obviated to a great extent if the piers are hereafter carried out to a great depth of water. Under any circumstances, however, it is believed that recourse must be had to dredging.

-Large Number of Passengers - on steamer Passport, Capt. Harbottle.

-Imports - 4.


Media Type:
Text
Newspaper
Item Type:
Clippings
Date of Publication:
5 Jun 1857
Local identifier:
KN.7897
Language of Item:
English
Geographic Coverage:
  • Ontario, Canada
    Latitude: 44.22976 Longitude: -76.48098
Donor:
Rick Neilson
Creative Commons licence:
pd [more details]
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Contact
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
Email
WWW address
Comment on this item
Groups of Related Records
Kingston Newspaper clippings
Other Web sites/External links
Daily British Whig, 5 June 1857 Daily British Whig, 5 June 1857
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit




My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.










Daily British Whig (Kingston, ON), 5 Jun 1857