The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
Northern Advance (Barrie, ON), May 20, 1870

Full Text

(From the Telegraph)

COLLINGWOOD, May 23 - The arrangements on board the Chicora were as perfect as could possibly be expected, especially the arrangements for the convenience of the horses. A large number of very splendid animals had been purchased. Indeed, very great care and much judgement have evidently been exercised in the selection of the horses for the present expedition. Not only were the stalls well arranged, but the animals could be most conveniently fed on board the Chicora. Hay was supplied to them here, as they started in as comfortable a condition as possible. But on board the Frances Smith neither system nor arrangements were satisfactory. Two rows of stalls had indeed been erected with a large space between them. This large space was filled with oxen. Therefore there were no means of reaching the horses to feed them, as they were packed as close as they could stand. Much time was consumed in the loading the Frances Smith. The freight was put on board irregularly, and therefore the vessel did not take by any means a full cargo. Great activity was maintained in loading when once the work fully commenced, but it was by no means well managed..

The troops were not all onboard until 9 p.m. two in the morning of Sunday came around before the loading was completed; and as things had to be then shaken together, the hour of 4:45 a.m. of May 22nd, dawned before the Francis Smith finally left her moorings. The weather was foggy all day.

The Waubuno arrived in port at 4:30 this morning, having been detained since Wednesday night about three miles below the Neebisbe, thirty miles this side of Sault Ste Marie, where she ran aground during the night. She threw out signals of distress and hailed three American tugs which passed her, but they each refused to come to her assistance, though a boat was sent to each from the stranded vessel. Finally she was relieved by the Louis Shickluna, on Friday evening, and with the assistance and the tug O'Connor, of Owen Sound, she was got off at about 1 p.m. on Saturday. The vessel was in no way damaged by the accident, which was due to the foggy condition of the atmosphere.

The Waubuno started for Parry Sound this morning, and cannot return here before eight this evening. The Frances Smith being employed by the government, her place is partly taken by the Champion, of Owen Sound, which takes the mails every alternate day. Two additional quick and capacious steamers are evidently required. It is at present difficult for the vessels actually employed to meet the requirements of the Government, the mails , and the public...

As neither the Waubuno nor Prince Arthur have arrived, further despatches of troops northward was not anticipated to-day... For the first time during the progress of this expedition Collingwood may be regarded as a garrison town...

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Original:
May 20, 1870
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Bill Hester
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

Northern Advance (Barrie, ON), May 20, 1870