Daily British Whig (Kingston, ON), 2 Aug 1870
- Full Text
p.2 Great Fire - Berry's elevator at foot of Queen St. burns; floating elevator Samson and barges of Messrs. Miller & Hope were removed; the M.T. Co. moved elevator Hope and barges; other grain vessels had to be moved; strs. Watertown and Pierrepont helped to put out fire on Gildersleeve's wharf. "The elevator was built nearly 20 years ago by the enterprising Edward Berry and is the last remnant of what was a flourishing business under his management. In 1857 it was enlarged and strengthened. At the lowest estimate its original cost was fully $100,000, but in consequence of continued disuse and general deterioration during the last 3 or 4 years, its value had greatly declined. The building was perfectly empty. It came into the possession some time ago of the Commercial Bank, and now in consequence of the amalgamation is owned by the Merchant's Bank.."
p.3 The Passport - still at Montreal, having engine repaired.
-Dismasted - yacht John Power off Ducks on way to Cobourg regatta.
- Media Type:
- Item Type:
- Date of Publication:
- 2 Aug 1870
- Local identifier:
- Language of Item:
- Geographic Coverage:
- Rick Neilson
- Creative Commons licence:
- [more details]
- Copyright Statement:
- Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes