The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
British Whig (Kingston, ON), 4 May 1891


Description
Full Text

p.1 General Paragraphs - Today the tug Thompson left with three barges for Oswego to load coal. The tug Jessie Hall cleared for Charlotte to load coal.

This afternoon a telegram was received from the captain of the steamer Walker, stating that one of her tow, the schr. Kildonan, was aground at the St. Clair flats.

The Eastern District - Capt. W.J. Vincent, of Clayton, has been appointed master of the schr. Genge, at Buffalo.

MARINE INTELLIGENCE.

The schr. Queen of the Lakes left yesterday for Brighton to load rye.

The tug Glide and three barges leave this evening with grain for Montreal.

The str. John Haggart arrived Saturday night from Perth with a small consignment of grain.

The steamer S.H. Foster has taken a cargo of grain at Chicago to Kingston, for Montreal, on a through rate of 6 3/4 cents.

The schrs. Oliver Mowat from Cleveland and B.W. Folger from Fair Haven arrived at Swift's yesterday with coal.

On Saturday the str. Kathleen left for Georgian Bay via the Murray canal. Capt. Augustus piloted her as far as Brighton.

Ira Folger's new steamboat, the Lorella, has been completed and now looks very handsome in spotless white paint and shining machinery.

The yacht Onsward, recently purchased by Rochester yachtsmen in Providence, R.I., is on her way to Oswego. She will sail from there to Charlotte as soon as she can be got ready.

Spic and span, glittering with new paint, new carpets and new furnishings, the Ocean came into port yesterday. Thousands of dollars have been spent on the boat, and she is in better trim now than when she was first built. Her popular master, Captain Towers, stood on the bridge as she came in and was cordially wished a successful year by many friends.

The prop. Celtic when midway between Amherst and Snake Islands yesterday morning grounded on a shoal. Her predicament was seen from the shore. The intelligence was communicated to the Montreal transportation company and from there the tug Glide was sent with a barge and lighter and the propeller relieved. The boats arrived at the city about four o'clock and the Celtic lightened 6,600 bushels and proceeded to Montreal.

The schr. Ella Murton, with the well known Capt. John Saunders (champion of the lakes) aboard of her, arrived from Genesee with anthracite coal for Messrs. D.R. Dewey & Co., Hamilton, says the Times. Ex-Captain Thomas Armstrong slipped his cable and came up from the beach to have a good look at her.

And the meeting of these captains proud

Was like the bursting of a "lager" cloud.

The schr. White Cloud, formerly owned in Chicago, was purchased recently by parties in the east, and will leave for the Atlantic, where she is to be put into the coal trade between Philadelphia and Long Island Sound. Vessels get 90 cents a ton there for carrying coal 90 miles, and a number of vessels will go down from the lakes this season. The new owners of the White Cloud are endeavoring to secure some sort of a cargo for Montreal on the passage down. The White Cloud measures 231 tons. She was built at Clayton, N.Y., in 1853, by Oades, was rebuilt in 1886 and has again received large repairs and also a new outfit since then.

THE NORTH KING

The steamer North King will be placed on the route between Port Hope and Rochester by the 20th of this month. She belongs to the Lake Ontario steamboat company, and is now being completed at the dry dock of Davis & Son. She is 176 feet in length, 44 feet wide over the guards, 10 feet depth of hold, 8 feet between decks, and ten feet high in upper saloon. The leading features of her construction are the result of the experience of Mr. Gildersleeve, the manager of the company, as to the requirements of the route; and the best experts have contributed in the carrying out of the details. The Hull lines are by Capt. J.W. Pearce, of Evansville, Ind.; engine proportions by Frank E. Kirby of Detroit, and feathering wheels by Messrs. Logan & Rankin, Toronto. She is sharp and high forward, and the leading idea in the shape of the hull has been to secure a vessel that would make her time in all weathers, and with the greatest comfort to passengers.

The hold below the main deck not being required for freight is mainly devoted to strengthening. In addition to the usual water tight bulkheads and side strengthening, she is screw bolted throughout, and iron strapped from forward to aft between the planking and frames. Trusses are built the full depth of the hold and full length forward and aft over the sister keelsons, with top stringer bolted to the deck beams and posts every six feet, four knees at the corners between the posts meeting in the centre, each truss thereby forming a succession of knee arches. Similar trusses are built over the centre keelson forward and aft of the sister keelsons. To prevent side strain there are double braces from gunwale to bilge across the hull every twenty feet, kneed at both ends and bolted together where they cross. Half sponsons are built outside the hull to protect the guards forward of the wheels, which also give increased stability and strength. It is believed this is the largest amount of strengthening as yet introduced in a wooden steamer.

She has a skeleton beam engine, with cylinder 36 inches in diameter, and 10 feet length of stroke, with Steven's valve gear and drop cut of latest design. The paddle wheels are of the feathering type, 18 1/2 feet in diameter. The small diameter of the wheels, as compared with the leverage of (line unreadable) of engine and consequent power. She has two return tubular boilers, one in front of the other, to distribute the weight, and placed face to face with separate smoke stack to each. The power is estimated at 750 indicated horse power, and the speed at not less than 15 miles.

The feathering side wheel type of steamer, although more expensive, has been decided on as the best for passenger lake service, after careful consideration and consultation with the best experts in New York and Detroit. The extra width of the guards gives greater space for passenger accommodation, and the tremor and rolling are less than with either single or double screws. These considerations have caused the latest of the Long Island Sound and Upper Lake passenger steamers to be built of this type. The passenger steamers crossing the channels of the English coast are also still built with feathering paddles on account of the lesser vibration and rolling, although they have no guards and but little upper works.

The North King will have ample freight room on the main deck, on each side of and forward of the engine. Between the after gang ways is the main saloon with office, baggage rooms, stairs, etc., and aft of this the main cabin with state rooms on each side. On the second or promenade deck is the upper saloon 136 feet in length, 14 feet wide aft of, and 20 feet wide forward of the engine. The forward portion from its greater width, comfortable sofas and spacious glass front will be the favorite resort for passengers. Dining tables will be laid in the whole of the after and part of the forward portions. Ladies' and gentlemen's toilet rooms are also in the upper saloon. On each side of the upper saloon as far as the forward end of the engine are double rows of staterooms and in front of this a single row on each side. The outside promenades are in front of the upper saloon and also on the forward portion of the third or hurricane deck in the vicinity of the pilot house and texas. She will be heated by steam and lit with electricity with reserve oil lamps. Her life saving apparatus of boats, life rafts and life preservers are over the legal requirements. Capt. C.H. Nicholson, who has become a favorite on the route, will be in command, assisted by J. Jerrolds, mate; J.W. Johnston, purser; Thomas Milne, first engineer, and A.W. Stevenson, steward, all old friends; the latter has long been famous for keeping a well supplied table and his steamer scrupulously clean. With so good a ship and such competent officers the route across the lake is certain to be well served.


Media Type:
Text
Newspaper
Item Type:
Clippings
Date of Publication:
4 May 1891
Local identifier:
KN.16471b
Language of Item:
English
  • Ontario, Canada
    Latitude: 44.22976 Longitude: -76.48098
Donor:
Rick Neilson
Creative Commons licence:
pd [more details]
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Contact
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
Email
WWW address
Comment on this item
Groups of Related Records
Kingston Newspaper clippings
Other Web sites/External links
Daily British Whig, 4 May 1891 Daily British Whig, 4 May 1891
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit




My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.










British Whig (Kingston, ON), 4 May 1891