The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
British Whig (Kingston, ON), 26 May 1892

Full Text

p.1 To Build a Barge - Yesterday Wm. Power shipped 6 ship carpenters to Trenton to work at a new barge being built for Vanalstine & Co. She will run between Trenton and Oswego and be 100 feet long.


Calvin's fifth raft left for Montreal yesterday.

The schr. Wawanosh, Manistee, Mich., arrived at Portsmouth this morning.

The schr. Eliza Fisher will clear for Oswego to load coal for Breck & Booth.

The schr. Laura arrived from Trenton, with timber for Garden Island, today.

Harbor master McCammon says the water in the harbor has raised about seven inches since April 11th.

Clearances: prop. Algonquin, Cleveland, to load coal; prop. Sheldon and schr. Ely, Cleveland, to load coal.

The prop. Hill, Kingston to Cleveland, light, and prop. Butterine, to Ashtabula, passed Port Colborne last night.

The Transit was successfully raised at Morristown. The cars on her deck were pulled forward and then her stern was pumped out. She was not injured.

Arrivals: prop. Michigan, Sarnia, lightened 2,000 bushels of peas and proceeded to Montreal; prop. Cuba, Chicago, lightened 9,000 bushels rye and proceeded to Montreal; tug Bronson, Montreal, four light barges; schr. Bullock, Oswego, coal.


Rough Trip Over Land and Lake to Reach a Telegraph Office.

No little trouble was experienced in hunting up Capt. Fleming, of the schr. Glenora, this morning. A man of very reserved disposition he was very backward to converse and it was just by luck that the scribe caught him in such a way that he almost had to give his story. As to his trip through the woods the captain left the Glenora at Michipocoten for Missiniabis at noon, April 29th, accompanied by two Indian guides. The distance to be traversed was sixty miles one way, thirty miles of which was by lake frozen over solid. They were overtaken by the night and obliged to wrap themselves in their blankets and lay down on the frozen ground. A terrific snow storm was in progress at the time. They reached the telegraph station the next day at noon. After telegraphing Capt. Gaskin and receiving his reply the party returned to the boat. The hardships were indescribable. Capt. Fleming was obliged to carry the wet blankets on his shoulders. He soon was confined to his bed and remained there for two days. The Indians carried guns and tomahawks and were of the old stock. At one time Capt. Fleming never expected to see Kingston again.

Malcolm McMillan is an old sailor and had only taken the voyage on the Gaskin "just for the trip." He had not sailed for eight years previously. All the "boys" were down to "shake" with him when the boat landed. He says he had to "goose-wing the topsail."

Mary Wood, cook of the Gaskin, has been sailing a large number of years and is now grey-headed. She protested that she was not "a bit" afraid and denies having seen any of the men praying during the storm. She said "I just made up my mind that if that was the way I was to go I might as well abide by it. No sir, I am not easy frightened. It takes considerable to scare me."

Thomas Kirnain had been aboard the Glenora for three years. Immediately upon the Glenora breaking away the Gaskin let go her line. The Gaskin had her fore sail up at the time. The boat was leaking a little and it was necessary to keep the pumps going all the time.

Patrick Regan, Glenora, had been twenty-five years sailing and never was in as rough weather before.

Daniel O'Hagan, mate of the Glenora, hoped he would never meet such weather again.

J.S. Ferris had shipped with the Glenora at Fort William and was working his way to Kingston. He was bound for Ireland. He thought the sea was as rough as when he crossed the ocean.

Thomas Mullen, of the Gaskin, had been "up to his neck in water for two hours" and had had a tedious job up in the rigging during the gale.

Mary Lamb, cook of the Glengarry, had been very sick. She said no more than her usual prayers but often looked at this motto which hangs on the wall. "Walk in Love as Christ Also Has Loved Us." She had been sailing for thirteen years. The ladies' maid, although only on her first trip, had served as a consoler to the cook.

John Lawson, of the Glengarry, had been sailing three years. He had crossed the ocean ten years ago and thought it rough then, but the adventure on Lake Superior made him forget the angry ocean.

Capt. McMaugh said he never had a better crew of men. The officers are: Capt. John Boyd, mate; A. Barton, 1st engineer and Thomas Callaghan, 2nd engineer.

p.2 Regatta at Gananoque - details.


Telling of the Lively Times on Lake Superior.

The Return of the Glengarry Glenora and Gaskin Received with Demonstrations of Delight.

Capt. McMaugh Relates the Adventures on the Lakes.

The crowd of people that lined the Montreal transportation company's docks yesterday afternoon, was unmistakeable evidence of the deep concern felt regarding the arrival of the Glengarry and her tow. The reported accidents occasioned her arrival to be heralded with joy and as she hove in sight, with the schrs. Glenora and Gaskin in the rear towed by the tug Active, those in waiting on the wharf were not long in circulating the welcome tidings and relatives, friends, and curiousity seekers alike, all took up positions and waved handkerchiefs and called out words of greeting as she swung alongside the dock. Although several days have passed since the last accident the crews' experience were the chief topic among mariners at least. Well aware that things would be all in a bustle for some time after her arrival the Whig reporter postponed his visit until about eight o'clock last night when, upon approaching the boats, considerable difficulty was experienced in gaining access, citizens of all creeds and calling, being among the jovial sailors , who now had plenty of gossip for a "yarn". Capt. McMaugh told the story of the mishaps to the vessel at Peninsula harbor and at Fort William. When the Glenora first broke away Capt. Fleming hugged the shore safely reaching Michipicoton harbor. "After the Glenora broke away," said the captain, "I headed for Peninsula harbor and was only about 300 yards from the shore when the Gaskin's tow line became entangled in the wheel and the engine stuck on the centre. We immediately threw out anchor, but to no avail, as the wind was more powerful, and finally dragged us to the beach there to strand. We had been laying there two days when the tug Mary Ann, of Port Arthur, came to our assistance and pulled us off." Then the Glengarry went on a hunt for the Glenora. They found her, having worked off the beach, and they also found the lighthouse at Quebec harbor deserted. Fort William was safely reached, the vessels loaded, and a start made on May 5th for Kingston. That night a terrible storm arose, and the tow started back for "the passage." The crew were unable to see anything for snow.

"Remaining in this condition for some time we turned round again," said Capt. McMaugh, "and headed to the wind and were obliged to wait for daylight. It was shortly after this that we found the schooners had broken loose. The tow line had broken without anyone knowing it, as the vessel's engines were working very slowly. We worked back to Fort William and got there about noon. The water came aboard in tons all day. Every possible man that was not otherwise engaged was on deck to keep the scuppers clear. At one time there must have been one and a half feet of water on deck. It was something terrible. We laid there till next morning and at daylight went out to hunt up the vessels. We found the schr. Gaskin laying at Rock harbor where was also the C.P.R. steamer Alberta laying at anchor. The latter had managed to work her way in there with only two-thirds of the plates on. It was said that she flung them off in the sea as she was not known to strike anything, and the first intimation the crew had of something being wrong was the violent action of the engine. The str. Athabaska was also laying there. The Glengarry took the Alberta in tow and got the vessels in passage to Duluth. Arriving at Fort William I wired Sault Ste. Marie and Duluth, but nothing had been seen of the Glenora. On Monday morning I got reply she was laying in the ice outside Duluth harbor. The Glengarry at once set out, and arriving there found the Glenora had forced her way inside, and left between four and five miles of ice to get through, which we did, and found her snug in Duluth harbor. After doing considerable reefing and shaping of sails, pumps and anchors, we started on our return trip, and, with once an exceptional split of bad weather, we managed to arrive here today. The Glengarry broke her crank shaft coming down lock six, Welland canal. The fact being reported to Capt. Gaskin he at once went to our assistance with the tug Active, which arrived at Port Dalhousie five o'clock on Tuesday morning. It was a pleasant trip from that to Kingston."

In answer to the reporter: "Yes, I have seen as heavy a sea on Lake Superior eight years ago this fall, but I never experienced anything so wicked. The other storm was rain; no comparison whatever to a snow storm. Why it was terrible. In less than two hours the snow was eight inches deep, and the flakes were half as big as my hand."

p.4 Johnston Brown's steam yacht Marion was launched from Davis' shipyard this morning. Her boiler will be tested this aftenoon and the yacht will probably be taken to Loughboro Lake on Saturday.

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Publication:
26 May 1892
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Geographic Coverage:
  • Ontario, Canada
    Latitude: 44.22976 Longitude: -76.48098
Rick Neilson
Creative Commons licence:
pd [more details]
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

British Whig (Kingston, ON), 26 May 1892