The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
British Whig (Kingston, ON), 6 Oct 1892

Full Text



Vessels Going Into Ordinary At Various Ports.

Capt. Joseph Dix, of the schr. White Oak, stated to a Whig reporter today that during the entire twenty-five years he has been sailing, he never experienced such a dull fall. The quietness prevalent in marine circles is disastrous to vessel owners, and not a few will lose money on the season's work. Unlike other business, one interested in marine, has only the open summer months in which to make his money, and vessel captains then, in many cases, have to clear enough to put them over winter. The exceptions to this rule will be many this year, however. Vessels all along the shore from Kingston clean up to Toronto have been in ordinary for months, waiting for orders. The schrs. White Oak, Hanlan and Grantham are among the vessels which have been moored at this port for over a month awaiting a billet. The Hanlan made one trip during this time to Oswego but there was no money made on it. During the entire summer Capt. Dix says that he never went over to the other side loaded but had to clear light to take on coal at Charlotte or Oswego. Considering that the tolls and towing have to be paid out of the 25 cents per ton received for a cargo there is little left for the vessel. At Picton the schrs. Fabiola, Burton, Two Brothers, Nellie Hunter and Julia have been tied up for a month or more. The Julia came down on Tuesday with coal. The Acacia and Waupoose are lying at Port Hope and the schr. Freeman stands at Belleville. The schrs. Albacore and Straubenzie were at Charlotte nineteen days before they could get loaded and the Keewatin and Rutherford are also among those waiting for cargoes. Capt. Dix says that the state of marine is indeed deplorable.

The steam barge Nashua is supposed to have foundered off Goderich. The barge Ryan, towed by the Nashua, is at Port Huron. The propeller dropped the barge because of disabled machinery. Soon the Nashua ran up a flag of distress, and the steambarge Gratwick went to the rescue. The captain searched for four hours for the missing steamer, but could find nothing of her or the crew. The Nashua was commanded by Capt. Richard Miller, and was owned by the Sturtevant lumber company, of Cleveland, and valued at $15,000. Capt. Miller is well known by Capt. J. Donnelly, jr., and comes from Cape Vincent. He has sailed the Nashua for the past three years. There are few mariners in this port who are not acquainted with him. He was very popular, and it is hoped the Nashua may yet be safe.

Speaking of large boats Capt. Bates, of the schr. B.W. Folger, says that the prop. Algonquin is a very small craft compared with some of the vessels on the upper lakes. He says the prop. Onoka, plying between Cleveland and Escanaba has a capacity for 3,500 (tons) of iron ore. The vessel could carry more but this is impossible as there is only sixteen feet of water at the Lime kiln crossing near Amherstburg. Capt. Bates was mate on the propeller Niagara the year previous to her being lost with all hands on board. D. Neville was captain of the Niagara when Capt. Bates was on her. The Niagara carried 1,900 tons of iron ore.

The tug Active went down the river with four barges, loaded with grain, last night. She met the tug Hall at Alexandria Bay and exchanged for four light barges and came back to Kingston, while the Hall turned round and proceeded again to Montreal.

Nicholas Henderson's sailing yacht Mary had a narrow escape from being destroyed by fire the other night. She took fire in the cabin, but the flames were discovered before much damage had been done. A lighted cigar stub is supposed to have been the cause.

This afternoon the barge Duluth was placed in Davis' dry dock for repairs. On Friday the steamer Princess Louise will be put in the dock where she will be rebuilt.

The difference which existed as to who would unload the schr. Hanlan has been settled and Joseph Hackett is now hard at work with his gang of men.

The water in the harbor has fallen five inches in two weeks, owing to the north winds which have prevailed recently.

Arrivals: tug Active, Fairhaven, with three barges loaded with coal; scow Murton, Alexandria Bay, light.

The prop. Campana is unloading grain at the K. & M. F. Co's dock, Portsmouth. She comes from Chicago.

The tug Active arrived from Sodus Point last night, where she had been wind-bound for three days.

The str. Wilson and barge, Chicago to Kingston with wheat, passed Port Colborne last night.

Clearances: tug Active, Montreal, four loaded barges; prop. Myles, upper lakes.

The sloop Volunteer cleared for Cape Vincent with shingles and lathes.

The schr. Dunn will next go to Toledo for timber.

Incidents of the Day - R. Crawford loaded the sloop Volunteer with coal for Westport.

The prop. Algonquin's stern post was also destroyed when she grounded on the shoal near Port Colborne. The vessel has been unloaded and will be dry-docked in a few days.

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Publication:
6 Oct 1892
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Geographic Coverage:
  • Ontario, Canada
    Latitude: 44.22976 Longitude: -76.48098
Rick Neilson
Creative Commons licence:
pd [more details]
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

British Whig (Kingston, ON), 6 Oct 1892