Sacket's Harbor - is the name to a handsome village situated at the east end of Lake Ontario, about 19 miles from the river St. Lawrence. It was first taken possession of, by purchase, by Mr. Sacket, of Jamaica, Long Island, in 1799. In 1801, only three families had settled there. Previous to this period, a great degree of prejudice existed against the lake shore, as unhealthy, from an erroneous idea that the neighborhood of fresh water lakes was more unhealthy than the sea shore; without ever reflecting that the Lake of Geneva is celebrated for its healthfulness, and that it is only shallow fresh waters, just enough to cover rotting vegetables, that are unhealthy.
The village of Sacket's Harbor now contains a number of large and elegant built houses and it is settling so fast that half-acre house lots have sold from 12 to 1500 dollars, and since it has become a military post, for twice that sum.
The most interesting part of this settlement is its curious and highly valuable harbor.
This basin of water is hardly so large as our mill-pond was before they began to fill it up. Melish says it contains but ten acres - we believe it to be more than twice that size. The entrance of it is about one quarter of a mile wide, for here two opposite points approach each other like the Punto and Moro Castle at the entrance of the Havannah, in miniature. Its entrance is strongly fortified. Besides a respectable fort, there are four block-houses round this singular basin of deep water, which is bordered by a natural wall of limestone, of about thirty feet high. -Boston Patriot