The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
British Whig (Kingston, ON), 9 Jul 1895

Full Text



The schr. Fabiola has arrived from Oswego with a cargo of coal.

George T. Fulford's new steam yacht steamed down from Kingston to Brockville on Sunday.

The water in the St. Lawrence river here is now nearly two feet lower than it was a year ago. It was never known to be so low before.

The schooner Davis is at Brockville loading feldspar for Cleveland, Ohio, where it is used in the manufacture of fine chinaware. It is brought from Buckingham, Que. by the C.P.R. This season 5,000 tons will be shipped. The quality is said to be far superior to any on the continent.

Accident and Narrow Escape - Port Dalhousie, July 9th - The sailing yacht Psych, of Hamilton, met with an accident last night which almost proved fatal to one of her passengers. The Psych had just entered the piers as the steamer D.D. Calvin, of Kingston, with two barges, timber laden, was moving away from the dock. The Calvin's barges got across the channel, and the yacht, coming between them, ran into the barge Ceylon, stem on, breaking her jib boom and doing other slight damage. Two of the men on the yacht were knocked overboard and Bennie Grant, a lad of twelve years, standing on deck, was struck by the broken boom and his thigh bone broken and his leg badly bruised. The yacht was carried out into the lake about a mile before getting clear, and was afterward was picked up by the tug Mary and towed into the harbor, where she will go on drydock.


The tug Florence, towing two barges, brought a sad story to this port this morning. About 5:30 o'clock, yesterday afternoon, Mrs. Roy (or King in English), wife of the captain of the barge Cunningham, stepped over the stern of the boat and was drowned before the eyes of her husband and son. The accident occurred a little below Alexandria Bay. The unfortunate woman was struggling in the water before noticed by the captain. He immediately signalled the tug, the lines were thrown off and the boat approached the body. The woman had been in the water at least ten minutes and when the tug pulled alongside it was seen life was extinct. A peculiar thing about the accident was that the body never left the surface. The body was taken aboard the barge and brought to the city. An undertaker took charge of it here and sent the corpse to Sorel, Que. where the family lives. The unfortunate woman was the mother of seven children, the youngest of which is only a few months old. Her eldest son also worked on the barge. She had been on top of the cabin and it is supposed that in stepping down to the deck her foot caught something and she was thrown overboard. All the men on the boat happened to be in the bow or the accident would have been noticed sooner. The barges belong to the Murphy company, Ottawa. They had been to Montreal with lumber from Ottawa, and were on their way to Trenton light to load for Montreal again. Mrs. Roy was forty years of age.

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Publication:
9 Jul 1895
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Geographic Coverage:
  • Ontario, Canada
    Latitude: 44.22976 Longitude: -76.48098
Rick Neilson
Creative Commons licence:
pd [more details]
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

British Whig (Kingston, ON), 9 Jul 1895