Change in Lights
Bluff Light That Has Stood Here Since 1859 To Be Moved.
Transferred to North Pier
To be Fixed Red Light - Present Range Red Light Will Show From Tower 300 Feet in Front of Fixed Light.
Through Congressman Hamilton the Graham & Morton Transportation Co. has been endeavoring to have some of the lights in St. Joseph harbor changed and succeeded, as the following letter will show:
Department of Commerce and Labor.
Lighthouse Board, Washington
Feb. 8, 1907.
Hon. E. L. Hamilton, M. C., House of Representatives, Washington, D.C.
Sir: Referring to your letter dated 6th December, 1906, transmitting a letter dated 28th November, 1906, from the Graham & Morton Transportation Co., relative to a change in the location and character of the lights at St. Joseph harbor, Mich., the Board has the honor to state that the matter was taken up immediately with the Inspector and Engineer of the Ninth Lighthouse district, and, upon consideration of their report on the subject, authorized the removal of the fourth order lense [sic] in the lighthouse on the bluff within the city limits and will reestablish it as a fixed red light in the projected fog signal house and tower to be located 330 feet inside of the end of the north pier.
In order to form a range for entering the harbor a tower is to be erected 300 feet in front of the above named light in which will be placed the fifth order fixed red light now in use. These lights should form an excellent range for entering the harbor.
The light on the bluff in due time will be discontinued.
(signed) Wm. L. Casey,
Lieutenant-Colonel, Corps of Engineers, U.S.A., Engineer in Charge.