IN THE MARINE BUSINESS.
The Beauharnois canal is open for navigation.
The prop. Omaha is expected in today with a cargo of corn for the M.T. Co.
The prop. Myles, from this port, bound for Duluth, reached Port Dalhousie last night.
The prop. Toltec arrived, last evening, from Chicago with 38,000 bushels of corn for the M.T. Co.
The str. Samoa, Chicago, corn laden, passed through the Welland canal today, bound for this port.
Carter Bros., Port Colborne, have purchased the str. Dudley as a lighter for their wrecking business.
The sloop Maggie L. is discharging a cargo of buckwheat at Richardson & Sons' elevator. She is from Picton.
The schr. S.H. Dunn, light, from this port, bound for Toledo to load timber, reached the Welland canal last night.
The strs. Omaha and Nike (Niko ?), from Chicago with corn, arrived today and were discharged at the M.T. company's elevators.
The str. Pierrepont is making two trips weekly to Gananoque, leaving here Wednesday and Thursday afternoons at three o'clock.
The str. Erin and consort Danforth, from Cleveland, laden with street railway rails, passed down through the Welland canal last night.
Capt. T. Donnelly inspected the str. Orion at Collins Bay yesterday. The Orion left, last night, for Lake Superior to load timber.
The first grain to be shipped east from this port cleared today, when the tug Thomson and six barges, corn laden, left for Montreal.
The str. Glengarry and consort Minnedosa cleared from Port Colborne last night, bound for Fort William to load wheat for the M.T. Co.
The schrs. Kate Eccles and Fabiola are discharging coal cargoes at Crawford's coal dock. The first named has 250 tons and the last named 300 tons.
The str. Bannockburn and consorts Winnipeg and Selkirk cleared the Welland canal last night, bound for Toledo, to load corn for this port.
On and after Monday next the str. Princess Louise will make two trips daily to Cape Vincent, leaving here at 5 o'clock a.m. and 2:30 p.m.
The tug Beaver, of Belleville, arrived in the city, last night, on her way to the Cornwall canal, where she will work throughout the season just opened.
Fires were kindled beneath the boilers in the str. Hamilton, today, and she was given a spin around the harbor, preparatory to going upon her route Saturday.
The str. City of Owen Sound, owned by the Collins Bay Rafting Co., and which wintered at Owen Sound, cleared from that port today for Lake Superior to load timber for this port.
The first western grain to arrive here this season was carried by the str. Toltec, which arrived this morning from Chicago with 38,300 bushels of corn for the M.T. Co. The forwarding business may now be considered to have been formally begun for the season.
Capt. T. Donnelly inspected the str. Hamilton this morning, and found her in a highly satisfactory condition. She will begin the season's work on Saturday morning, when she will clear for Toronto and Hamilton. Extensive improvements have been made to the vessel during the past winter, and she begins the season as one of the most thoroughly equipped boats on the lakes.
The str. Orion received numerous improvements at Collins Bay during the past winter. Heretofore she was classed as a steambarge with a long open deck. During the winter this open space was decked in and converted into cabins, etc., and the steamer is now a first class propeller. Capt. Donnelly inspected her yesterday and found her in first-class condition. She cleared today for Grand Marias, Georgian Bay, to load timber for this port.
The dimensions of the new lake barge Melrose are: Length between perpendiculars, 180 feet; beam, 36 feet; depth of hold, 14 ft., 3 inches; frame and planking of white oak, keelsom, stanchions, clamps shelf, deck-beams and hatch combings of steel; deck and spars of B.C. pine. She is as strong as wood and steel can make her. She has steam windlass and capstan, and pumps work by steam, and patent Trutman anchors and chains, in fact in her outfit she has everything that could be desired or required. As she left the ways she was christened by Miss Isabell Waldron, the wee granddaughter of Capt. Gaskin.
Capt. E. Martin's Death - Capt. E. Martin, who died at his residence on Bay street, was one of the Calvin Co.'s most trusted and reliable officers. Since his boyhood he has held various positions on one or another of the vessels composing the company's fleet, and his loss will be sorely felt and sincerely regretted by the firm and its employees. Mrs. Martin and one son survive to deplore the loss of a beloved husband and an affectionate father.
RICHELIEU & ONTARIO NAV. CO.
Sailing Through The Bay of Quinte.
Hamilton & Montreal Line.
Hamilton, Toronto, Kingston, 1,000 Islands, Rapids of the St. Lawrence and Montreal.
Leaves Kingston - Going East - Tuesdays, at 5 p.m.
Going West - Fridays, at 10 p.m.
Fares - Hamilton $4.50, return $8.50; Toronto $4.00, return $7.50; Montreal, $4.00, return $7.50. Berths and meals included both ways.
James Swift & Co., Freight Agents. T. Hanley & Sons, Passenger Agents.
LAKE ONTARIO IN 1757.
Among a late find of old documents and drawings was a map of Lake Ontario in 1757, and also a picture of the English and French fleets on the lake at that period. The sketch is from a photgraph of the original hand-made drawing and picture in a portfolio in the King's library in the British museum in London. The picture of the fleets is the first known picture of vessels on Lake Ontario. The work was done at Frontenac, 4th Oct., 1757 by La Broquerie. Benjamin Sulte, Ottawa, furnished explanation of the names of the ports, rivers, etc., indicated on the map. The enumeration commences at the embouchure of the Niagara River, and proceeds by way of Burlington Bay around the north shore of Lake Ontario to the Thousand Islands, thence westward along-side the south shore to the place of starting.
The local explanations are: Pte. du Detour - "Where you turn sharp around the point." Probably Point Salmon, Prince Edward county.
Pte. au Gravois - Gravel Point, now Point Petre, Prince Edward county.
Ile au Goualan - Goeland - Seagull point. Now known as Point Traverse.
Grand Ance, or rather Grande Anse - Grand or Great Creek, near the present Collins Bay. That name existed there in 1680.
Ile Tonty - Given to Henry de Tonty by La Salle, 1679. On the map of 1680 that island is shown opposite the bay marked Toncoganignon, the same as Tonaguignon of the map of La Broquerie, now Amherst Island.
Ile aux Cochons - now Garden Island was given by La Salle about the year 1676 to Jacques Cauchois (corruption; Couchon, Cachons, pigs) who was a native of Rouen (1652), the birthplace of La Salle. Cauchois arrived at Fort Frontenac with La Salle in 1675, and remained with him until 1684, when he married and settled in Montreal, whilst La Salle went to the Gulf of Mexico.
Between Tonty and Cauchois lies an island given to Francois Dauphin, alias Laforet, by La Salle in 1679. La Foret, Tonty, Cauchois, deserve to be mentioned as the three best employees of La Salle. The modern name of the islet is Simcoe Island.
"Grend Ile," on the map of La Broquerie, is called "Grande Isle 10 lieues," on the La Salle map of 1680, and on a map of 1681, or thereabout, "Ganonkouenot," now Wolfe Island.
Ile au Chevreuil, now Carleton Island, south of Grand Isle, is marked Isle a la Riche on the map of 1680. The island situate behind that one, and opposite Pointe a la Galette, marked Isle au Chevre on La Broquerie map, is not indicated on the document of 1680.
Galette is biscuit, cake or "hard tack." Pointe de Galette is now the small cape off Cape Vincent.
The two small islands without names on La Broquerie map below Fort Frontenac, are called Ile aux Cheris on the map of 1680. Their modern names are Howe Island and Garden Island.
Still below these islands a river which flows into the St. Lawrence is styled Gananoncoui (Gananoque). The modern name is the same.
Le Mariegeau - now Deadman's Bay, opposite Wolfe Island, on the north shore of the St. Lawrence.
The present Cape Vincent is called Grane Gampement - "The Grand Camping Grounds," in the map of 1680.
Iles de Niaoures - pronounced Niaweres, Islets to the westward of Cape Vincent.
In 1756, early in the spring, at Fort Frontenac, the French built two barges, one for twelve guns, the other for sixteen. They cruised on Lake Ontario under the command of Pierre Boucher de la Broquerie and Hyppolite Pepin-Laforce, who succeeded in sinking some of the small vessels belonging to the English, and obliged the others to remain in Chauaguen River. (Ferland; Cours d'Histoire du Canada, 11,541.)
1758, August 27th, Dorel to Marquis de Belle Isle, giving account of the destruction of Fort Frontenac:
"No precaution was taken with our navy. The English, more careful than we, have burnt it, with the exception of two twenty gun brigs, which they have preserved."