The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
British Whig (Kingston, ON), 2 May 1896

Full Text



In the Welland canal reports today the difference in the number of boats bound for Ogdensburg and Prescott, as compared with the number assigned for here, was two to one. The greater part of the forwarding business is being directed down the river.

The str. Sir Edward Smith and consort Filmore, bound from Chicago to Kingston with corn, entered the Welland canal yesterday.

The barge Cornwall is in the government dry dock.

The barge Dorchester was released from Davis' dry dock today.

The schr. Fabiola cleared today for Oswego to load coal for Crawford.

The str. Niko cleared for Oswego, last night, to load coal for Ashland, Wis.

The tugs Hall and Walker, with eight corn laden barges, cleared last night for Montreal.

A new wheel was placed in position on the tug Hall, in the government dry-dock, yesterday.

The schr. Falconer is discharging 375 tons of coal at Crawford's wharf. She is from Fairhaven.

The str. Myles, bound for Duluth to load wheat for this port, cleared from Port Colborne last night.

The str. Kathaden, from Duluth for this port, passed through the Welland canal today. She is wheat laden.

Capts. Donnelly and Thompson, government steamboat inspectors, are at Picton in connection with affairs of their office.

W.G. Thompson, superintending engineer of the Welland canal, has received instructions to keep open the canal tomorrow.

The tug Fearless has been taken down below the bridge to receive a coat of paint. As soon as it is dry the tug will go into commission.

The schooner Pilot has gone to Bath to load wheat for Picton. She will return with a cargo of buckwheat for James Richardson & Sons.

The question has been asked, "Can an American pilot ship on a boat at a Canadian port and pilot her to another Canadian port?" Such has been done here, but some think it is illegal.

Capt. Williamson will go in the schr. St. Louis this season, and Capt. Gribben, who was in her last year, and for several years, will have charge of a vessel on the upper lakes. The St. Louis goes to the upper lakes in tow of the Shickluna.

The schr. Wayne is discharging 5,500 bushels of corn at the K. & M. F. Co.'s elevators, Portsmouth. This is the first arrival of the season for this company. The Wayne was brought down by the str. Whitney, which cleared for Oswego.

Those who witnessed the grounding of the str. Morley yesterday morning say the pilot was not to blame. The steamer would not respond quickly enough to her rudder when being swung around into the channel. She went aground on the ledge of rock which extends down from the shoal tower. Her draught was fifteen feet.

Capt. Joseph Dix, Gananoque, writes: "Kindly correct the rumor in Whig of April 27th that the steamer Valeria had broken down soon after commencing her first trip to Clayton. It was not so. The Valeria has been making two trips daily since her arrival here and has met with no mishap of any kind since she started."

Capt. Allen says the government is wasting money removing rock from the Point Frederick shoal, from where it is not necessary to disturb it. He says it would be more beneficial if a dredge were put to use to remove the mud from the present channel which is in line with the range lights and which is followed by all incoming craft.

A well known citizen, interested in marine, advocates the building of a big pier on the Point Frederick shoal, where forwarding business could be carried on. Years ago the government was asked for permission to build such a pier, but it was refused on the ground that it would prove an obstruction in the harbor. The person advocating the above claims that if his suggestion was carried out and a lighthouse placed on the pier it would attract more boats here.

The str. Morley on her first trip of the season has met with hard luck. First she grounds in this harbor and loses a whole day in consequence, not to speak of the cost of the tug, elevator and lighter. Leaving here about five o'clock in charge of pilot Harry Weber, Clayton, she next strickes a sunken rock in the channel near Clayton, N.Y., knocking a hole in her bow, through which the water entered her hold, sinking her in a few minutes. She is laden with about 50,000 bushels of corn, consigned to Prescott. A telegraph message was received here about nine o'clock last night asking that steam pumps, diver and wrecking apparatus be sent down at once. The str. Pierrepont was got in readiness and, taking aboard the Donnelly Bros.' wrecking outfit, with Capt. J. Donnelly, sr., and John Donnelly, jr., in charge, left for the scene of the accident. It is thought the hole can be patched up temporarily until the cargo is discharged when it is probably she will enter the government dry-dock here for repairs. A few such accidents and the forwarding business down the river will be knocked in the head.

Incidents of the Day - The str. Jessie Bain is doing the Cape Vincent route today. The str. Princess Louise is running ferry in the absence of the str. Pierrepont, which is down the river at the wreck of the str. Morley.

p.4 General Paragraphs - A despatch says the str. Morley was towed was towed to a dock at Clayton where she sank. The wrecking crew from Kingston expects to have her floated by tonight. Half her cargo of corn is damaged by water.

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Publication:
2 May 1896
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Geographic Coverage:
  • Ontario, Canada
    Latitude: 44.22976 Longitude: -76.48098
Rick Neilson
Creative Commons licence:
pd [more details]
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

British Whig (Kingston, ON), 2 May 1896