The Maritime History of the Great Lakes
British Whig (Kingston, ON), 23 Jul 1898

Full Text



The Kingston Yacht Takes The First Place.

The second round of the course by the thirty-two foot yachts occupied the attention of the spectators yesterday when the other classes finished. The three boats, the Norma, of Kingston, Erma, of Hamilton, and Nox, of Charlotte, left the home buoy with little distance between each of them. The Erma had a slight advantage, being to windward. The working down to George's barn was rather slow work, the wind having dropped to a light breeze. In running that stretch, the Norma gained ground and circled the buoy first, the Erma second and the Nox following. After passing the buoy the Norma's crew ran out their spinaker for a free run before the wind, but were forced to take it in again to jibe their sail. This caused some delay and allowed the second yacht to bear down upon her. With spinnakers set the three headed for home, the Kingston boat well out to port, which gave her extra ground to travel over, and the Erma, followed closely by the American yacht, kept her very close company. In reaching home the Erma made a huge mistake in taking in her spinaker too soon. When about one hundred yards below the buoy she lost the wind, and the slight lead she had was lost. Her two opponents retained the services of their spinnakers and the Norma crossed the line first at 3:26:30. The Erma caught a puff of wind just as the Nox reached her, which sent her over the line at 3:26:50, and the Nox crossed at 3:27:18. Away the white-winged models headed for Four Mile point, the Norma with spinaker and the other two with ballon (balloon ?) jibs only. The Kingston boat walked away easily and widened the distance between her and the other two. The Nox caught the Erma, and sailed in close company for some distance when she fell back. The Norma rounded the third buoy about one minute ahead of the Erma. The final work homeward was watched with keen interest. The Norma with her lead was expected to take first place. On the way down the boats were required to take two or three legs, and the breeze freshening, made the race all the more exciting. While the Erma took a lead in towards the mainland, the Norma came about, and ran for the opposite shore, to obtain a line on the home. She came about too soon, for after running in toward Murney tower for some distance she was forced to take another stretch for Simcoe Island. While taking this the Erma was working to the same shore, a short distance ahead, but to leeward. Both boats came about at the same time and headed for home, the Hamilton boat having the advantage of being to windward. The wind still freshened and both boats, close hauled, came down throwing quite a foam from their bows. The Erma gained on her leader, but could not overhaul her. The Norma stood up to the wind bravely and was able to cross the bow of her chaser just after the Myles buoy was passed. Then the yachtsmen at the club house grew enthusiastic. It was seen that the distance between the two was very short, and both were sailing at a lively clip. The Kingston yacht held her windward position and kept her short lead, crossing the home line at 4:34:45, the Erma followed at 4:35:18, just thirty three seconds behind. The Nox finished five minutes behind the Norma. The leading crew were loudly cheered by the men in the yachts near by and by the spectators.

Yachting Notes.

Yesterday was not the Norma's day, but she acquitted herself admirably. When she crossed the line first ex-commodore Strange's face beamed with smiles.

It made Dr. Curtis rejoice to see so many people take advantage of Macdonald park yesterday and last night.

By her showing yesterday it is believed that the little Oswego twenty-two footer, Venus, can outsail the Pedro of Rochester. As the race started an iron hook in the throat halyard block on the Venus snapped, and this caused the jaw of the gaffe to crack. While temporarily repairing the break with a piece of marlin, she lost twelve minutes, which gave the other boats a long lead. In crippled condition she pluckily ran the race, and finished only five minutes behind the Pedro, the winner. On the run from the third buoy to home, the Venus gained four minutes on her. The two boats will meet again on Monday.

John T. Mott, ex-commodore of the Oswego yacht club, is one of the jolliest yachtsmen at the races. He is here with his pleasure yacht Papoose, which cost him in the neighborhood of $10,000. She is very fast, but he never races. Mr. Mott is a wealthy banker in Oswego and controls the water works system there.

Commodore R.A. Lucas, of the Hamilton yacht club, is an old Kingstonian, although he has been an absent resident for thirty-seven years. His parents on coming to this country in the early fifties settled on the property now occupied by Capt. Hora, Barriefield, and Mr. Lucas spent four years in this locality. Yesterday he met some of his old school fellows who studied together under Prof. Campbell at Queen's college in the preparatory class. Mr. Lucas left here for Hamilton to accept a position in the bank of British North America, and has resided in the ambitious city ever since. He has now retired from business.

The visiting yachtsmen were tendered a reception at the club house last evening by the local club. The house was brilliantly illuminated with colored lights and was a scene of bustle as hundreds of yachtsmen met and were introduced. The 14th P.W.O. rifles' band was situated on the south side of the wharf and rendered an excellent programme of music. While the club house was crowded, Maitland street was also lined with people listening to the music, and Macdonald park must have contained 2,000 people. The evening breeze was refreshing and made it pleasant for the vast assemblage of people. Those who did not care to listen on land found pleasure in small boats, and the skiffs covered the water from the club house wharf away round to the west side at Murney tower. There must have been 500 skiffs, canoes and steamyachts flitting about. The festivities were kept up until after eleven o'clock.


The steamer Whittaker, light, cleared for Chicago yesterday.

The tug Bronson left for Montreal last night with four grain-laden barges.

The steamer Spartan, Montreal to Toronto, called at Swift's wharf today.

The schooner Fabiola, coal laden for Charlotte, reached Swift's wharf today.

The steamer King Ben arrived from Montreal last evening with a general cargo.

The S.S. Rosemount arrived from Fort William this morning with 64,300 bushels of wheat.

The S.S. Bannockburn, with 62,300 bushels of wheat and corn, arrived from Chicago this morning.

The steamer Bohemian, Toronto, called at Swift & Co.'s wharf this morning on her trip to Montreal.

The steamer Arabian, from Fort William, lightened 22,500 bushels of wheat at the M.T. company's elevator this morning and proceeded to Montreal.

The steamer Caspian left this morning for Alexandria Bay, returning at noon with an excursion party. She went across to the Cape in the afternoon and the Columbian returned her passengers to island resorts.

The Northern transit company, connected at Ogdensburg with the American line, runs the steamers Empire State and Badger State from Cleveland to Ogdensburg. The boats will call weekly, up and down, at Toronto and carry passengers.



Today's yacht races were opened with a success equal to that of yesterday.When the sun appeared above the horizon this morning his rays spread over a calm expanse of water, but before seven o'clock a fair breeze came out of the south, bringing with it dark clouds, which soon overspread the heavens. They fortunately were not the forerunners of rain, and the day was perfect from a yachting standpoint. The wind worked around to the south-west and came at the velocity of twelve miles an hour.

The yachts entering today were:

Thirty-seven foot class - Dinah, S.E. Malloch, Royal Hamilton yacht club; Vivia, G.H. Gooderham, Royal Canadian yacht club.

Twenty-seven foot class - Dolphin, J. Parker, Oswego yacht club; Geisha, W.C. Kent, Kingston yacht club; Hiawatha, W. Burnside, Royal Hamilton yacht club; Kestrel, Dr. Black, Kingston yacht club; Nautilus, W.J. Coad, jr., Oswego yacht club; Verona, W.J. Briggar, Royal Hamilton yacht club.

Twenty-two foot knockabout class - Chickadee, Conway Cartwright, Kingston yacht club; Enid, O. Martin, Queen City yacht club; Euroclydon, Rev. C.E. Whitcombe, Royal Hamilton yacht club; Veritas, A.G. Averell, Rochester yacht club.

The course was the same as run yesterday only the start was from east to west, owing to the direction of the wind. Thirty-seven footers were called first and their starting gun was fired sharp at eleven. Both boats were prepared for the start and crossed the line, the Vivia at 11:00:10, and the Dinah at 11:00:20. The latter stood up to the wind much closer than her rival, but the Viva sailed faster. They made a short run on the starboard tack, and coming about headed for the island shore. The run up was a dead beat to windward, and both showed remarkable work, rounding the Four Mile point buoy at 11:34, the Vivia leading the Dinah by thirty seconds.

The sailors immediately ran out spinnakers, and with balloon jibs came down with the wind at a lively rate. The Dinah was the neater trimmed boat, and was slightly faster before the wind. On this run she gained two seconds, and crossed the home line thirty-three seconds behind the Vivia, which passed at 11:55:05.

Twenty-Seven Foot Class.

The race of the day was between the yachts in the twenty-seven foot class. With six boats entered the manoeuvres for the start were interesting. The Kestrel, sailed by Henry Cunningham, and the Hiawatha went through a little jockeying, the Kingston boat getting the best of the Hamilton cutter and blanketing her crossed the line first at 11:10:30, followed by the Hiawatha, Verona, Dolphin, Geisha and Nautilus, all getting across within one and a half minutes. The majority of the boats followed the same course as the first boats out, while the Geisha immediately came around on her port tack and headed for Garden Island. The Kestrel was followed by the Verona, her chief opponent, but she increased her lead, making a pretty run to windward. She rounded the Four Mile buoy at 11:47:40, thirty five seconds ahead of the Verona. The sail to the home buoy was straight before the wind, and spinnakers were set for a fast run.

As the yachts approached the home buoy it was seen that the Verona had recovered her lost ground, and was close at the stern of the Kestrel. Before the buoy was reached she got to the windward of the Kestrel and stole the wind from her, thus taking a slight lead. The Kestrel pulled her spinnaker in first, and hauled up alongside the Verona, and taking a pretty spurt sent her horn up with the Hamilton flyers, and both crossed the line "neck and neck" at 11:47:40, while the local yachtsmen clapped and cheered the Kingston favorite. The Verona had a slight advantage, being to windward, and this proved by taking a lead of about three seconds in the next quarter of a mile. The Hiawatha came across at 12:10:48 and led off for George's barn in the same tack as the Verona. The Kestrel stood up more towards Garden Island and took a better windward position. The Geisha dropped out having broken her bobstay, reaching the home buoy at 12:12:55. The Dolphin crossed at 12:20:25 and the Nautilus at 12:21:14. The Kestrel took the leading position when George's barn buoy was reached, and rounded first, notwithstanding the jockeying that was carried on by her opponents.

It was a contest between three boats designed by Mr. Weir, of Hamilton. The Verona and Kestrel were of the same type, and weather treated both alike. If the wind had been a little higher the Kestrel would have been more at home. The three boats approached the home buoy with the Kestrel having a long lead. Just as she reached the home buoy at the finish of the first round, she added a jib topsail and increased her lead, crossing the line at 12:58:18. The Verona crossed at 12:59:31, one and thirteen seconds behind. The Hiawatha was nearly two minutes behind the Verona.

The two boats well together, the crew of the Dinah showing mastery in handling their craft, but she was hardly fast enough for her rival. On finishing the first round the boats passed the line: Vivia, 12:42:31; Dinah, 12:43:48; the Vivia gained thirty-four seconds on the round.

Twenty-Two Knockabouts.

The smaller class yachts got away with a fair start, the Euroclydon having the lead, and crossing the line at 11:20:10; Chickadee, 11:20:50; Veritas, 11:21:05. The boats sailed away pretty well together, the Chickadee forging ahead on the way up.

The boats scattered somewhat, the Veritas leading off and finishing the first half round at 12:25:38, three-quarters of a mile ahead of the second boat. The Chickadee was second crossing at 12:30:15, and Euroclydon at 12:35:10. The Veritas increased her lead for the rest of the race and won easily.

Latest Announcements.

At 2 p.m. the leading yachts were: thirty-seven footers, Vivia; twenty-seven footers, Nautilus; knockabouts, Veritas won at 1:26 o'clock; Chickadee, second.

Yachting Notes.

R. Phillips is attending the yacht races representing the Toronto Mail and Empire. He is an enthusiastic yachtsman and a brother of the official timekeeper W.Q. Phillips.

The jaw of the Enid's gaff left the mast just after the start, and the sailors were unable to replace it, so she had to drop out of the race.

When the Geisha was half a mile from Four Mile point buoy on the first round, she carried away her bobstay. She held on and came down, being in fourth position. The loss of the stay prevented the use of her spinaker. She had to drop out of the race.

Capt. W.B. Carruthers, rear commodore of the Kingston club, is a busy entertainer, and is very active in making the visiting yachtsmen's visit a pleasant one. He has thrown his house open to all yachtsmen.

Media Type:
Item Type:
Date of Publication:
23 Jul 1898
Local identifier:
Language of Item:
Geographic Coverage:
  • Ontario, Canada
    Latitude: 44.22976 Longitude: -76.48098
Rick Neilson
Creative Commons licence:
pd [more details]
Copyright Statement:
Public domain: Copyright has expired according to the applicable Canadian or American laws. No restrictions on use.
Maritime History of the Great Lakes
WWW address
Powered by / Alimenté par VITA Toolkit

My favourites lets you save items you like, tag them and group them into collections for your own personal use. Viewing "My favourites" will open in a new tab. Login here or start a My favourites account.

British Whig (Kingston, ON), 23 Jul 1898